We(wife and 2 sons 10/12) traveled to the Mayan princess in Jan 2012. What a great place! Small with everything you want/need only a few steps away. Including the beautiful West Bay beach. We stayed in the Pool View Tower Condo. 2nd floor with Great views towards the ocean!
Nice and quiet. If it’s a party all night place your looking for, your at the wrong place. As well as end of the island. Its generally quieter in the evenings in West Bay.
The MP was recently taken over by new management and we could see improvements being worked on while we were there as well as thru the year as I have been reading in other reviews. Looks like the Bar has been torn out and replaced?
The place is immaculate. The pool, beautiful. The ocean even more so. Crystal clear with the reef right off shore. I finally got my wife to try snorkeling on our last day…. THEN she didn’t want to leave!
Here are some short points on our review.
-The room was large and fantastic, with separate bedroom. Full Kitchen, sofabed set/TV. Huge balcony with tb l& chairs as well as a place to put our snorkel gear to dry.
-The pool is a nice place to chill out after a long day at the beach. A couple cocktails go perfectly there.
-The staff were very nice. Seemed a little shy, but always ready with a smile or some help if required.
-Food was very good over all. The MP also is owned/part of the San Simon Club next door and we had some meals over there. Buffet was good. We didn’t have the opportunity to try the alacarte. There seemed to be some issues with it being booked up, yet every night we walked by and it was all but empty?... Breakfast was stellar!! Snacks were also brought out the the beach and the pool thru the day for guest’s.
-Lots of chairs on the beach
-Entertainment in the evenings. Never too late tho.
-The Dive Shop is Mint! I am a diver, (although I didn’t dive this trip) and can say the team is professional/attentive to the groups they seemed to be endlessly taking out for dives!
-Lots to do excursion wise or just hang in the Bay for the week.
-With a small resort we were able to meet new friends and share some great times with them! Special shout out to Anna & AL!!
-Cruise stop…… nuff said?
-Check in a little crowded (it’s a small lobby)
-As mentioned before, we were on the second floor and had to carry our bags up alone. I know not a huge deal, but the stairs are circular and were a little diff for the kids to carry their bags. So I had to make the 4 trips myself…. I earned my cerveza's that day!
-By the end of the week the beach venders can get a little tiresome. They don’t pester. You just say no thank you and they move on. Its just by the end of the week I was tired of saying “no thank you” lol even after purchasing from same vendors.
-Did I mention Cruise stop..lol while the beach does get crowded for a few hours the MP staff ensures that guests still have full access to the chairs and pool!
As you can see, for us the cons are minimal at best. We were already planning our return trip to Roatan by the second day there!! And that was in the rain!!
I could go on and on, but suffice to say it’s the perfect escape from our day to day routines. Rest, relax and enjoy the island, the people of Roatan and the staff at the Mayan Princess.
For the people who will expect 5 star treatment/food/butler service… STAY HOME!!!! Or go to a 1700+ room hotel in the Dominican.
We are heading back this April and cant wait. See you there!
Protect the reef! LOOK…..DONT TOUCH!!
- Also Known As:
- Mayan Princess Beach Hotel West Bay
- Mayan Princess Beach Hotel
- Hotel Mayan Princess Beach
- Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An elegant Roatan resort on the island's best beach, Mayan Princess Beach Resort features waterfront hotel accommodations and service. Just steps from your luxurious condo, a white sand beach leads to sparkling turquoise waters, perfect for scuba diving Roatan's spectacular undersea gardens. Nominated for Honduras' Leading Hotel Award in 2007-2010, this Roatan beach resort offers a variety of vacation activities, first-class amenities, and beachfront restaurant. Welcome to paradise and comfortable relaxation in a tropical oasis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsClick so you can book your Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.