“A wonderful, relaxing paradise!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Premium All Inclusive
Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in West Bay
Rocky Harbour, Canada
“A wonderful, relaxing paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My Husband Russell and I were privilaged and honored to be invited to our neice Heathers wedding in Roatan. We had never heard of Roatan so had no idea what to expect. Well I must say we were pleasantly surprised by the lush beauty of this tropical island paradise! The Mayan Princess is a small intimate resort with beautiful1 and 2 bedroom villa's. We paid a very good price for an all inclusive 1 week holiday. As always you worry that the food may not be up to snuff at the all inclusive resorts but the food was delicious and with different buffet choices everyday. The A-la-cart dinners fantastic and the drink selection excellant. Our villa as were most at the resort was poolside. The pool very beautiful with waterfalls, bridge's etc. The beach close to all villa's, and always a beach lounger available. The Staff was exceptional, courteous, friendly and went out of their way to make our stay memorable. The rooms always clean with fresh flowers daily cut from the lovely gardens that surrounded the resort. Excursions were plentiful, diving, snorkeling (amazing), zip lining, catamaran trips which included bar service and snacks, kayaking parasailing,dolphin adventures, you name it they had it. The wedding itself was one of the most romantic that I have ever been to. Thank you Mayan princess for a memorable time.

Room Tip: All Floors have good views of pool or beach
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We are very grateful for your excellent review. I'm so glad that we were able to exceed your expectation and make this an amazing experience for you. We are very happy to know that you had a great time at your niece wedding and at the resort. We want all our guests to have the experience of being in paradise and it´s great to hear that we were able to create that experience for you. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to see you soon again.
Cheers!

504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Ayr, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mayan Princess last year for a week of some of the best diving I've ever experienced. We loved it so much we brought our two girls back for a week this year. Our 13 year old was certified two years ago, and they were more than able to accommodate her junior diving certification and kept the dives to within her range. I was a little concerned that there was no kids club, and that our 8 year old would get bored - but the wonderful, free-form pool, the hot-tub, as well as the beach kept her busy. She learned to snorkle and got an opportunity to see some of what we see diving.
The staff at the Mayan Princess are the best! A lot of them remembered us from last year, which really made us feel special. A hello to Tamara, Glenda, Dixon, Francis, Jonathan, Hazel, Darwin, Santos, Philip and a all the others( I'm sorry I forgot their names. ).
We had one of the few 2 bedroom condo's, which was perfect for us. The room is a little outdated, but while we were there some of the rooms were getting new beds and furniture, so hopefully by the time we get back that unit will be done as well. The food was good. If you're looking for a place with lots of restaurants and a huge buffet - Roatan is not the place for you. For us, there was enough variety to ensure our kids had choices of things they would eat, and for myself I could find things that were not shellfish (allergy).
The diving was the best part - Mayan Divers is a top-notch outfit, with the best instructures/guides. A special thank you to Janos, for the refresher for our daughter, and to our favourite guide - Sara....you are awesome!!!!! Thanks to the wonderful Captains and Crew who helped. Thank you Anja, for such a wonderful dive operation and crew.
I cannot wait till next year!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review. We appreciate it. I´m so glad that we were able to make your trip so wonderful. We always want to meet the expectations of all our guests and I´m happy we were able to accomplish that goal during your stay. I will forward your review to all of our staff, including the Mayan Divers. For sure, you will see renovated rooms when you come back to visit us. It was a pleasure having you and your family as our guest.
waterford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at mayan princess for the second time this past November. We are returning jan. 28th . It's a great place to stay we recommend it highly. Great staff, but we missed siggy!!!!!! Really couldn't find fault with anything. Great location right on west bay beach the best beach in roatan. The food is good, not a great variety but I always pick quality over quantity. The only complaint I have is if your going to charge $50 per week for wifi it should at least work half the time it was very poor. They shouldn't be charging anything for it only worked if you were near the reception and then it wasn't very good. The rooms are starting to show their age but we were told they would have new furniture by the time we returned but rooms were always very clean. Bar and food service was great!!!!! They also have the best dive shop on the beach!!!! Anja, sara, julie, and jeannot and the boat crew go out of their way to provide you with the best diving experience!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello, thank you for taking the time to review us! It was a great pleasure having you as our guest for a second time. For sure you will see new renovations when you come back in a few weeks (Jan.28) . We are very happy to see that our staff make your vacation so enjoyable, specially the diving staff! It is very important for us to know what our guests think, so I will be sure to share your review with our General Manager. See you in a couple of weeks!
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was our eighth visit to Roatan. We've previously stayed at Fantasy Island, Infinity Bay (both with and without the AI package) and Anthony's Key.

To start with the rooms: very spacious, we had a second floor beachfront with kitchen, sitting room, bedroom and bathroom, and nice big balcony. The bedroom is quiet and dark, the only noise that managed to penetrate was the dawn chorus of birds. The furnishings, which were quite tired last time we saw them, are in the process of being upgraded - while we were there we got two new sofas and a new flat screen TV (not that I care about TV), and I understand this is happening in all the rooms. Everything was always spotless, and we had no issue with towels. The bed was fine, although friends in the next door room said theirs was rock hard. I would recommend bringing your own pillow, I always do that. The hot water is inline electric water heater. We couldn't get it to work the first two days but every time we called maintenance (who came very quickly) it worked fine! Eventually we realized that if there is not enough flow, the heater does not kick in - so at peak times, like when everyone comes off the beach, it may not work. If so, have a drink and wait 10 minutes and try again. Also we found that turning on the kitchen tap would create enough flow to kick the heater in when it would also work in the bathroom. To me, this is just a quirk of Roatan living and didn't cause undue hardship.

The beach is beautiful of course - clean white sand and crystal blue water. For snorkeling, walk down to the far end of the beach near the rock and swim out to the drop-off, then snorkel back to about Infinity Bay. There is quite a current, depending on the tide, so be careful you don't drift. I was very sad to see how much the reef has deteriorated even in the last two years - the cause is clear - people, especially cruise shippers, standing on the coral. This will kill it. Please don't ever stand on or touch the coral. However, there are still many beautiful fish and sea fans to be seen, especially if you go a bit deeper where they are out of reach of morons. If you have not snorkelled in Roatan before, you will be entranced.

Talking of cruise shippers, this is an increasing problem in West Bay in general, not specific to the Mayan P, so I won't let this affect its rating. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (Wednesdays are worst) sometimes up to four cruise ships will be in town at once, and the beach is flooded with them. Many hotels, including the Mayan P, sell day passes to these people. Suggest you get a lounger and umbrella early in the day, or you might find yourselves out of luck. Speaking of loungers, this is one area desperately in need of an upgrade - the beach loungers are ancient and terribly uncomfortable. The ones round the pool and at the next door beach club are however very nice. The towel guy will get you an umbrella and place it wherever you like, so shade it not a problem. Every day, vendors will ask you to buy jewelry, massages, hair braids, sunglasses, dvds, t-shirts, shells and most sadly of all, lacquered seahorses. Please don't buy these. The sheer number of vendors is irritating but most are not persistent if you just say no thank you.

You should be aware that there are sand flies everywhere in Roatan, little no see-ums that will cause nasty itchy bites that usually don't appear until later, so you are unaware you are being bitten at the time. In many years of travel to Roatan, we have found the only solution is Avon Skin So Soft SPF 30 with Bugguard - Canadians, you can find this on Ebay, but not in stores. The beauty of this is that it is very waterproof, so one good application in the morning will keep you free of both sunburn and sand fly bites all day. Deet will also work but you have keep reapplying after each swim, and it's nasty stuff. If you do get bitten, the best solution is Cactus Juice Miracle Gel (blue bottle, not red) - you can buy it at the little grocery store/deli in the West Bay mall. Expensive, but it will save your sanity.

Food - so-so. Some highlights were the cappuccinos and the soups, which were both exceptional. Apart from that I could usually find something edible but the choice was quite limited. Surprisingly no bananas. We didn't try the inside a la carte, but of two couples we talked to who did, one loved it, and the other said it was like waiting at a bus stop - absolutely no atmosphere. The outside a la carte was horrible, but perhaps because we left it too late and it was on a cruise ship day when the staff was exhausted. On the last day, I and at least 3 other guests got violent food poisoning - the projectile vomiting type. We ate only at the Mayan P that day. This is obviously a downer on an otherwise great week, so I hope they find the cause. The drinks were good, with a choice of four beers in cans or bottles (not foamy draft), pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris. Again no bananas, so no banana drinks. Great confusion over bloody marys - first we were told they were not included and we would be charged $6, but when I pointed out that vodka was included, they said that tomato juice wasn't and it would be $3. After much argument, one was made which contained about 50% lime juice and a heck of a lot of black pepper and was completely undrinkable. I didn't try again.

The staff was, with the exception of the bloody mary girl, absolutely wonderful, and the main reason I am giving the Mayan P 4 stars. They make such a huge difference to your stay. Some names I will mention in particular: Yean, Joham, Fino the towel guy, Anna, Glenda and Richard the security guard - but many others whose names I didn't catch were just as good. The manager was present every day and always said hello.

The resort was mostly very quiet, with low-key entertainment in the evenings. That's a plus for me, but if you like a wild time, it wouldn't be for you. On some nights, the beach club next door which is part of the resort, has quite a loud party to which you are invited... too loud for my taste, but it doesn't last long. Despite being full while we were there, the resort never seemed crowded, and it felt very low-density. The grounds and pool are beautiful.

For outside dining, our favorites are Rendez Vous sushi and the Argentinian Grill, both a short walk away. Rendez Vous only takes cash, and you'll need reservations. If you like dolphins, take a trip to Anthony's Key where you can snorkel or dive with, or just meet the dolphins in a very lovely environment where they are taken great care of.

In all, from what I observed and know for myself, I think the Mayan P is currently the best choice of AI in West Bay. Infinity Bay is now very overcrowded with the new AI option - the loungers are five deep and jammed together in front of the hotel - every day, not just when the cruise ships come in. The rooms are posher than Mayan P but quite similar in functionality overall. Would I come back? I'd like to hear that the food and the loungers had improved, but probably.

Room Tip: Top floor is more private - if you take the bottom floor, the top floor residents walk through your...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, we appreciate it. We feel honored that after so many years coming back to Roatan you chose us for your vacation. I can see our staff make your vacation very enjoyable and that you felt very comfortable with our accommodations, grounds, and beach. The service you received in food is certainly not indicative of what we want to provide to each of our valuable guests. We will forward your review to our General Manager to take necessary action. We hope to welcome you back in the future for an experience that will surely be incredible, with new renovation in all our resort, including our restaurants. Once again, thank you for your feedback. Have a nice day.
Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

West end beach is the place ... Mayan Princess ... Small and cozy .... Best dive staff ... Small boats ...all. Close by ..... Night beach walks ... Bands outdoors at most hotels ...
Water taxi into town .. Soo cool ...
Great new rooms .....

Room Tip: A must for site and Dive Shop Team ..... Entertainement next doors .....
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
It seems you had great vacation! We are very happy to see that you enjoyed the resort, the diving staff, outdoors entertainment, the beach, etc. It was a great pleasure having you as a guest and we hope to see you again. Thank you for your review.
ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at Mayan Princess for a week in the end of Nov and beginning of Dec. Everything went well at the airport and even met up with people who worked at another resort we visited last year on the island. It was great seeing you again Nancy. The luggage as mentioned in other reviews went ahead of you to the resort. Check in was quick as they were only about half full. Staff was great from the front desk to the bar and restaurant. We were served drinks on the beach and around the bar area all the time. We give Jen a big 10+ for the entertainment as she was the only person scheduling shows at this resort. She also took time to sit with you and chat whenever she saw us. The food was ok never lacked anything to eat..the al la carte was great too..good steak. The Lobster dinner was also great at the next door bar...which was included with the all inclusive. I'm not a drinker, but there seemed to be lots available. The bartenders were all great. Johan, Aster, Darwin...thanks for all your attention in making our holiday a great one despite all the rain. I have make a special mention to our waitress Ana and the woman behind the counter at the restaurant...sorry I forgot your name... and to the cook who I also don't recall the name but he had a big bowl for me of oatmeal at breakfast..it was grreat thanks...I want to make clear that at this time of year you are bound to get a lot of rain and Mosquitos or sand flies..or whatever those bitting insects were...bring BUG SPRAY.. The workers on the beach worked very hard keeping it clear of all the seaweed washing up and raking the beach. My wife even went so far as to give a tip to the beach staff, because I don't think they get enough credit for that kind of work. Snorkeling was great right off the beach...saw lots of different coral and fish including barracuda's. Lots of beach vendors roaming the beachfront but were not overly aggressive..but do try the Banana Donuts..lol.we. went deep sea fishing but only to get caught in a rain squall and high wind, but Louis got us back to shore safely but extremely wet...lol... The resort grounds are impeccable, with several iguana's suntanning around the pool area...The room we had was on the beach front second floor. It was a great view of the beach. It has a full fridge, stove, cooking utensils. Bathroom had a shower only and leaked in the shower area when it rained heavily. The living room has two couches and table...the large balcony has a bar table and 4 chairs...the bedroom has a queen bed which was ok not too hard and not too soft...Cleaning staff kept the rooms very clean. The fridge only has 2 small bottles of water. You have to refill the bottles or by bigger ones...this is something they could improve on..at least increase the size of the bottles of water....some seating areas could use cushions as the wood is hard to sit on if there for any length of time...I've heard through the grape vine that the resort is going through some major renovations and we look forward to going back again next year....over all through the bug bites and rain we had a great time and met some wonderful couples. We would highly recommend this resort for anyone...the cost is great for this time of year.

Room Tip: Beach front is worth the extra..we had 229
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review, we appreciate it! It was a pleasure having you as a guest. I am glad to see that you had a great time visiting the resort and that the staff make your vacation enjoyable. I will assure to forward your review to the managers and staff. It´s very important to us to know what our guest think. We hope to see you again.
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This resort was about half full in late November, which made it very peaceful and quiet. There is separate transportation for luggage from the airport and because of this one piece of luggage was misplaced by a couple of hours. Short ride to hotel and we were greeted with a nice cold drink and a quick check-in. Rooms were very spacious, beds a little hard, great big balcony with a nice patio set that overlooked the pool. The staff were very friendly and attentive, especially Joham. Buffet meals were OK, we were a little tired of the food by the end of our stay. Nice al a carte meal, we had two of them. Drinks were good and plenty, wine was so-so. Grounds were beautifully kept and the beach was continually raked throughout the day. San Simone club next door is part of the Mayan, and most of the time we were the only ones using the bar and loungers, very comfortable.
The beach was beautiful, and snorkelling great, lots to see, bring an underwater camera! Use Anita for paddleboarding , a two minute walk down the beach. Either Anita or her daughter will give you a lesson with the rental. Try eating at Beachers or Banarama for dinner, terrific meals. For $3 a person there are plenty of water taxis to go into West End, about a five minute ride. Worth the trip, it's a fun little town, lots of bars and souvenirs. The downside of the trip was the rain and lots of it (rainy season, but even the locals said that it was more than usual). Also I was sick for a few days and my husband was not feeling that great either. Next time will have to try Dukoral to prevent this. Overall this was a great holiday and hope to return.

Room Tip: Room 209 was in a great location, but pretty sure all rooms have great views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, thank you for your review. We appreciate your time. It seems you had a nice holiday and that you enjoyed the beach a lot. We hope to see you again.
Have nice day.

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!