“Lots of rain and bugs” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in West Bay
ontario
“Lots of rain and bugs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed at Mayan Princess for a week in the end of Nov and beginning of Dec. Everything went well at the airport and even met up with people who worked at another resort we visited last year on the island. It was great seeing you again Nancy. The luggage as mentioned in other reviews went ahead of you to the resort. Check in was quick as they were only about half full. Staff was great from the front desk to the bar and restaurant. We were served drinks on the beach and around the bar area all the time. We give Jen a big 10+ for the entertainment as she was the only person scheduling shows at this resort. She also took time to sit with you and chat whenever she saw us. The food was ok never lacked anything to eat..the al la carte was great too..good steak. The Lobster dinner was also great at the next door bar...which was included with the all inclusive. I'm not a drinker, but there seemed to be lots available. The bartenders were all great. Johan, Aster, Darwin...thanks for all your attention in making our holiday a great one despite all the rain. I have make a special mention to our waitress Ana and the woman behind the counter at the restaurant...sorry I forgot your name... and to the cook who I also don't recall the name but he had a big bowl for me of oatmeal at breakfast..it was grreat thanks...I want to make clear that at this time of year you are bound to get a lot of rain and Mosquitos or sand flies..or whatever those bitting insects were...bring BUG SPRAY.. The workers on the beach worked very hard keeping it clear of all the seaweed washing up and raking the beach. My wife even went so far as to give a tip to the beach staff, because I don't think they get enough credit for that kind of work. Snorkeling was great right off the beach...saw lots of different coral and fish including barracuda's. Lots of beach vendors roaming the beachfront but were not overly aggressive..but do try the Banana Donuts..lol.we. went deep sea fishing but only to get caught in a rain squall and high wind, but Louis got us back to shore safely but extremely wet...lol... The resort grounds are impeccable, with several iguana's suntanning around the pool area...The room we had was on the beach front second floor. It was a great view of the beach. It has a full fridge, stove, cooking utensils. Bathroom had a shower only and leaked in the shower area when it rained heavily. The living room has two couches and table...the large balcony has a bar table and 4 chairs...the bedroom has a queen bed which was ok not too hard and not too soft...Cleaning staff kept the rooms very clean. The fridge only has 2 small bottles of water. You have to refill the bottles or by bigger ones...this is something they could improve on..at least increase the size of the bottles of water....some seating areas could use cushions as the wood is hard to sit on if there for any length of time...I've heard through the grape vine that the resort is going through some major renovations and we look forward to going back again next year....over all through the bug bites and rain we had a great time and met some wonderful couples. We would highly recommend this resort for anyone...the cost is great for this time of year.

Room Tip: Beach front is worth the extra..we had 229
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your great review, we appreciate it! It was a pleasure having you as a guest. I am glad to see that you had a great time visiting the resort and that the staff make your vacation enjoyable. I will assure to forward your review to the managers and staff. It´s very important to us to know what our guest think. We hope to see you again.
Have a nice day.

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Cambridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This resort was about half full in late November, which made it very peaceful and quiet. There is separate transportation for luggage from the airport and because of this one piece of luggage was misplaced by a couple of hours. Short ride to hotel and we were greeted with a nice cold drink and a quick check-in. Rooms were very spacious, beds a little hard, great big balcony with a nice patio set that overlooked the pool. The staff were very friendly and attentive, especially Joham. Buffet meals were OK, we were a little tired of the food by the end of our stay. Nice al a carte meal, we had two of them. Drinks were good and plenty, wine was so-so. Grounds were beautifully kept and the beach was continually raked throughout the day. San Simone club next door is part of the Mayan, and most of the time we were the only ones using the bar and loungers, very comfortable.
The beach was beautiful, and snorkelling great, lots to see, bring an underwater camera! Use Anita for paddleboarding , a two minute walk down the beach. Either Anita or her daughter will give you a lesson with the rental. Try eating at Beachers or Banarama for dinner, terrific meals. For $3 a person there are plenty of water taxis to go into West End, about a five minute ride. Worth the trip, it's a fun little town, lots of bars and souvenirs. The downside of the trip was the rain and lots of it (rainy season, but even the locals said that it was more than usual). Also I was sick for a few days and my husband was not feeling that great either. Next time will have to try Dukoral to prevent this. Overall this was a great holiday and hope to return.

Room Tip: Room 209 was in a great location, but pretty sure all rooms have great views.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hello, thank you for your review. We appreciate your time. It seems you had a nice holiday and that you enjoyed the beach a lot. We hope to see you again.
Have nice day.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I was in Honduras to build a house with Habitat for Humanity and 10 of us decided to spend a few days in Roatan after we had finished building the house.
We were picked up promptly from the Roatan Airport and transported to the resort which was about a 20 minute drive from the airport. We checked in at 10:30am and were only able to get 1 of our 5 rooms at that time (but check-in isn't until 3pm). By early afternoon we were all checked in.
The rooms are all condo style. The ones that I saw were either 1 or 2 bedrooms with a bathroom. The rooms were clean and spacious. We had a small kitchen that appeared to be properly outfitted for cooking but I didn't investigate this too thoroughly as we ate out all the time. The bed was comfortable but I don't recommend sleeping on the fold out couch. The mattress on the couch was fine but the frame for it was flimsy and I kept waking up in a crumpled ball in the sagging center. If you are planning on using the couch for a bed I would just put the mattress on the floor at bedtime. The condo had fans in the bedroom and the living room and also air-conditioning. The wi-fi wasn't free so I used the wifi at the Javavine Coffee Bar (more info follows further into this review).
When you reserve your room I would ask for one that has patio furniture. We had five rooms and only 3 of them had patio furniture. The few times it was raining it was nice to be able to sit on the patio as it was covered from the rain. We had a great staff member named Jesse that would bring us drinks from the bar to our patio, There were 10 of us so maybe they only do that for larger groups.
We only paid for breakfast when we reserved our rooms and I would do this again. The breakfast was buffet style in a restaurant between the pool and the beach. There was always pancakes, yogurt, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, other Honduran type dishes (plaintain, refried beans etc), muffins, bread and a made to order omelette station. Coffee and juice was included.
We were only in Roatan for a few days but we enjoyed walking down the beach to try out other restaurants at lunch and dinner. We ate a few times at the Thirsty Turtle Bar at the Bananarama Resort. At lunch they always had specials combined with beer or drinks. They have very good pizza which I had a few times and we enjoyed the fish dinner, the calamari, the burgers etc. We also had great frapuccinos and lattes at the Javavine Coffee and Winebar (and FREE wi-fi). It is located about block off the beach in a small stripmall that also has a small grocery store, a small drugstore, a couple of gift shops and a liquor store. You can get there on the walking path next to the Bananarama Resort. We also had a nice dinner at the Argentinian Grill which is a short walk on the beach in the other direction.
The beach is beautiful and the water was very calm while we were there. I didn't have any problem with the grass in the water or on the beach. I found the water to be very clear with great visibility for snorkelling. The water in the ocean was warmer than the water in the pool. I saw reviews that mentioned being bothered by sandfleas but I wasn't bit by anything and I was out all day and in the evening. I also laid on the sand on my towel numerous times without any problems.
The resort was very quiet when were there. If you like to party then n November wouldn't be the time to go. We had fun dancing to live music at the Thirsty Turtle on a Saturday night and they had fire dancers and crab races there on Sunday night.
The hotel shuttle to the airport was only running at 6am and 10am in the morning and we wanted to be on the road to the airport by 9:30am so the front desk booked us a taxi to the airport which cost us $25 usd. The airport was empty and it only took a few minutes to clear customs and security as our flight was from Roatan to San Pedro Sula and there were only a handful of people on our small plane. If you are flying on a larger charter flight then you might need more time at the airport.
We all enjoyed our time at this resort. It wasn't shiny and new but it was beautiful and the staff were very nice. I am planning on returning to Roatan and I will likely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We decided to visit Roatan mainly for diving, and based on our local dive shop owner's recontamination we picked Mayan Princess.
We stayed the week of November 12 to 19.
Upon arrival at the airport we were loaded in a bus pretty quickly, although us and another couple we ended up in a bus that had to drop off everyone else at a different resort, but that was just a short delay.
I was very surprised, and to a certain extent worried, when i saw that the luggage did not go in the same bus with us.
Upon arrival at the hotel we were checked in quickly.
We had a 1 bedroom pool view on the second floor, and i have to say that i was really impressed with the apartment. I see others made bad comments about the furniture, but i can say that our room was great. Typical Caribbean furniture, was nice and clean, the kitchen was stuffed with any appliance imaginable, should one wish to cook anything in the room.
I absolutely loved the idea of the electricity being activated with the key card as to avoid unnecessary usage when out of the room, and we made sure we removed it every time we left the room.
The better insulation and the tiles floors, maintained the room at a comfortable temperature and once you returned and the A/C kicked in the room was cooled right away.
Unfortunately we noticed a lot of people left their lights on when out of the room.
The grounds were well taken care of, as well as the beach. With the higher winds there was always seagrass coming onto the beach but someone was always there to clean it off.
The beach vendor are indeed very annoying, some of them are quite pushy and if you ignore answering them they will come in your face to ask, so i resorted to wearing my headphones.
I read a comment from someone about the beach towels not costing $50, all i can say is "get around more", every single AI resort we went to they told us that in case of loss it will cost $50.
Definitely not as much food as in other AI resorts we visited but it was tasty and you could tell was made from scratch and not out of the can. We were happy with the drinks offered, the local beer was great and we were never refused our favourite cocktails, mine gin and tonic and my husband's margaritas or roatan ice tea.
As far as the snacks go i can say that it was hit and miss, the staff was walking around the beach serving them so if you happened to be in the water or away you were out of luck.
Also the times were random, some days in the morning others in the afternoon.
I would prefer to see the snacks in the main restaurant, available morning and afternoon and ready for anyone to walk in and get some.
Even though Sunwing does not tell you about your allowance for a-la-cart, if you're staying a week you are entitled to two.
The first one was set up on one of the tables outside, everything was great except that the lighting was too low so we could not read the menu. We had to use our phone's flashlight.
The second a-la-cart, in the glass enclosed part, was quite a disaster. The waitress didn't seem to understand what we are ordering, if you go make sure you point out your choices on the menu. We ordered chicken soup and two kinds of steaks.
After waiting 45 minutes there was still no sign of the soup, and all of a sudden i am presented with a plate of pasta and chicken. I explained that we ordered the chicken soup, so i expected to see that next, instead we got the steaks. After we finished the main course the waitress brought over the soup!!!!!!!!! When i told her that i already had the main course and i don't want soup now she was very surprised and replied "You don't want it?" We were never asked if we would like some dessert either so we just left. Nobody ever apologized for the whole experience.
Something needs to be said about the Sunwing rep, we attended the briefing and while it was informative and told some useful things, including the fact that we should definitely get some Honduras rum and coffee, she failed to mention that there is no duty free at the airport!!!!!! so you should get that stuff from the stores in town.
On a positive note, we wanted to take a tour of the island so we asked her to get us a cab, which she did but based on other people's experience seems she overcharged us at $100 for about 5 hours.
The driver though was great, he stopped everywhere we asked him to and took us all around the island. I doubt it he got even half of the fee we paid so we tipped him generously at the end.

The Dive Shop was absolutely great. From the owner to all the guides to the boat captain and the two cute dogs, it was awesome. Excellent service, very friendly and helpful.
All i can say is that when we go back even if we don't stay in the same resort we will definitely dive with Mayan Divers.

Upon departure we were told that the suitcases will leave in a different bus and half hour before us.
That is absolutely unacceptable. In this days when security is so high i do not want to be separated from my luggage. What are you supposed to say at the airport when you are asked if you left your luggage unattended?
Further more, once we retrieved them at the airport one of the suitcases looked like it was dropped, was covered in scratches and embedded mud and was badly bashed in.
This practice has to stop. People need to be in possession of their luggage at all times so they can truly be responsible for the contents of their luggage.
To add assault to injury, they make you go at the airport 3 hours ahead. There are only two gates, and the terminal is barely big enough to accommodate perhaps 200 people.
So we ended up sitting around for 2.5 hours.
The check in was quick but they do not have printed tags for your suitcases, they still have the paper handwritten ones with a string. Somehow they managed to write the same number on both tags which caused some problems later on.
While we were sitting in the airport the sunwing rep came around asking who has a black suitcase with purple. We have a black suitcase with blue and Mickey Mouse on it, so didn't think anything of it. Soon a staff member comes around saying something and getting everyone to form a line, but we could not hear first because she was not loud enough and second of all who could hear anything over the hammering and heavy drilling going on behind us?
Turned out they called one of our security so when i went to ask her why she was calling that number she told me to go sit because she's getting confused!!!!!!!!!!
When the gates opened sure enough one of our Mickey Mouse suitcase is on the tarmac.
They took me in a crammed in room full of 5 people, along the tarmac, and i was told someone put the wrong number on the suitcase and they need to do a random check!!!!!!!!
So i stood there while they rummaged through my suitcase looking for God knows what.
I have to admit that i had my doubts that the suitcase will make it to the plane but it did. When we retrieved them at Pearson we noticed both tags had #32 on them instead of #32 and #34.

As for the sand flies i'm not sure what works any more, we had coconut oil, we had Off, and at the end i came home covered in bites and my husband only got a couple.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We came here with a group of friends, six in total. They picked us up from the airport and once we got to the hotel we checked in and proceeded to our beach front villas. They were to connecting ones and were not even 10 steps away from the sand. They had big balcony terraces which were great for relaxing, but we spent most of the time on the sand or doing activities. The palm trees do obstruct the view a bit but they need them to shade the guests which lay down on the beach on the chairs. The staff was great and I particularly enjoyed their breakfasts. I never really booked any excursions with them, but instead negotiated directly with one of the boat owners that hung out on the beach. We had a great time and upon our return, we will probably stay here again. The hotel is located on the West Bay beach which is the nicest in my opinion and you can catch water taxis on the beach to towards the left side. You can also swim out to snorkel towards the left of the pier as well, just don't get to close to the rocky area all the way to the left!

Room Tip: Choose the beach front villas! Beautiful view and next to the restaurant and pool, but to the side s...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us. It was a pleasure having you as guest. We are glad, that you had a great vacation with your friends. We hope to see you all again.

Have a nice day!

Janeth T
Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort Rep.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at the Mayan Princess for business in November 2012. A terrible 25 minute drive from Roatan Airport - more potholes than you could ever believe, and the most ugly hotel entrance ever. The actual hotel lobby is miniscule but service was fast and I was given a pool view room on the second floor. The room was huge with a separate bedroom, huge living area, separate dining room and a fully equipped kitchen (sadly, didn't see any grocery stores around). TV had many channels including 2 Toronto stations (wo whoo!).
The main bar area was cllosed and under ebuild, but another bar next door was available until 5pm. After that the only bar was at the buffet area. Drinks were free on all inclusive package and their was only one buffet with mediocre food. An a la carte option allowed you to eat from a menu outiside under a palapa that day. Sadly, the sand flies are attrocious and I was well bitten.

The small pool was nice. This is a small resort with around 60 rooms I think and was half full. I am sure it is better in the winter when all areas are open. A real plus is diving in the area and they have a full dive shop and dives for 45$USD. My friend went and it was awesome.

This is a Sunwing tour destination, and as far as a package, I would give it a thumbs up if you like to dive or snorkel.

Staff were very friendly and all spoke English.

Room Tip: All looked pretty good to me
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the Mayan Princess resort for 2 weeks with my sister. The Resort is beautiful and the people are wonderful.Very professional and helpful. The room that we were given was a one bedroom condo/suite with a kitchen, large bathroom, dining table and a very large terrace. The beach is beautiful and the snorkelling from the beach was amazing. Food was buffet style, but due to it being the low season, most meals were a la carte. Roatan is a lovley Island and I would not hesitate to visit there again.The Mayan Princess is a very good resort for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!