“Overall a good experience” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay Beach, West Bay, Honduras   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #6 of 11 hotels in West Bay
Burlington, Canada
“Overall a good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We decided to visit Roatan mainly for diving, and based on our local dive shop owner's recontamination we picked Mayan Princess.
We stayed the week of November 12 to 19.
Upon arrival at the airport we were loaded in a bus pretty quickly, although us and another couple we ended up in a bus that had to drop off everyone else at a different resort, but that was just a short delay.
I was very surprised, and to a certain extent worried, when i saw that the luggage did not go in the same bus with us.
Upon arrival at the hotel we were checked in quickly.
We had a 1 bedroom pool view on the second floor, and i have to say that i was really impressed with the apartment. I see others made bad comments about the furniture, but i can say that our room was great. Typical Caribbean furniture, was nice and clean, the kitchen was stuffed with any appliance imaginable, should one wish to cook anything in the room.
I absolutely loved the idea of the electricity being activated with the key card as to avoid unnecessary usage when out of the room, and we made sure we removed it every time we left the room.
The better insulation and the tiles floors, maintained the room at a comfortable temperature and once you returned and the A/C kicked in the room was cooled right away.
Unfortunately we noticed a lot of people left their lights on when out of the room.
The grounds were well taken care of, as well as the beach. With the higher winds there was always seagrass coming onto the beach but someone was always there to clean it off.
The beach vendor are indeed very annoying, some of them are quite pushy and if you ignore answering them they will come in your face to ask, so i resorted to wearing my headphones.
I read a comment from someone about the beach towels not costing $50, all i can say is "get around more", every single AI resort we went to they told us that in case of loss it will cost $50.
Definitely not as much food as in other AI resorts we visited but it was tasty and you could tell was made from scratch and not out of the can. We were happy with the drinks offered, the local beer was great and we were never refused our favourite cocktails, mine gin and tonic and my husband's margaritas or roatan ice tea.
As far as the snacks go i can say that it was hit and miss, the staff was walking around the beach serving them so if you happened to be in the water or away you were out of luck.
Also the times were random, some days in the morning others in the afternoon.
I would prefer to see the snacks in the main restaurant, available morning and afternoon and ready for anyone to walk in and get some.
Even though Sunwing does not tell you about your allowance for a-la-cart, if you're staying a week you are entitled to two.
The first one was set up on one of the tables outside, everything was great except that the lighting was too low so we could not read the menu. We had to use our phone's flashlight.
The second a-la-cart, in the glass enclosed part, was quite a disaster. The waitress didn't seem to understand what we are ordering, if you go make sure you point out your choices on the menu. We ordered chicken soup and two kinds of steaks.
After waiting 45 minutes there was still no sign of the soup, and all of a sudden i am presented with a plate of pasta and chicken. I explained that we ordered the chicken soup, so i expected to see that next, instead we got the steaks. After we finished the main course the waitress brought over the soup!!!!!!!!! When i told her that i already had the main course and i don't want soup now she was very surprised and replied "You don't want it?" We were never asked if we would like some dessert either so we just left. Nobody ever apologized for the whole experience.
Something needs to be said about the Sunwing rep, we attended the briefing and while it was informative and told some useful things, including the fact that we should definitely get some Honduras rum and coffee, she failed to mention that there is no duty free at the airport!!!!!! so you should get that stuff from the stores in town.
On a positive note, we wanted to take a tour of the island so we asked her to get us a cab, which she did but based on other people's experience seems she overcharged us at $100 for about 5 hours.
The driver though was great, he stopped everywhere we asked him to and took us all around the island. I doubt it he got even half of the fee we paid so we tipped him generously at the end.

The Dive Shop was absolutely great. From the owner to all the guides to the boat captain and the two cute dogs, it was awesome. Excellent service, very friendly and helpful.
All i can say is that when we go back even if we don't stay in the same resort we will definitely dive with Mayan Divers.

Upon departure we were told that the suitcases will leave in a different bus and half hour before us.
That is absolutely unacceptable. In this days when security is so high i do not want to be separated from my luggage. What are you supposed to say at the airport when you are asked if you left your luggage unattended?
Further more, once we retrieved them at the airport one of the suitcases looked like it was dropped, was covered in scratches and embedded mud and was badly bashed in.
This practice has to stop. People need to be in possession of their luggage at all times so they can truly be responsible for the contents of their luggage.
To add assault to injury, they make you go at the airport 3 hours ahead. There are only two gates, and the terminal is barely big enough to accommodate perhaps 200 people.
So we ended up sitting around for 2.5 hours.
The check in was quick but they do not have printed tags for your suitcases, they still have the paper handwritten ones with a string. Somehow they managed to write the same number on both tags which caused some problems later on.
While we were sitting in the airport the sunwing rep came around asking who has a black suitcase with purple. We have a black suitcase with blue and Mickey Mouse on it, so didn't think anything of it. Soon a staff member comes around saying something and getting everyone to form a line, but we could not hear first because she was not loud enough and second of all who could hear anything over the hammering and heavy drilling going on behind us?
Turned out they called one of our security so when i went to ask her why she was calling that number she told me to go sit because she's getting confused!!!!!!!!!!
When the gates opened sure enough one of our Mickey Mouse suitcase is on the tarmac.
They took me in a crammed in room full of 5 people, along the tarmac, and i was told someone put the wrong number on the suitcase and they need to do a random check!!!!!!!!
So i stood there while they rummaged through my suitcase looking for God knows what.
I have to admit that i had my doubts that the suitcase will make it to the plane but it did. When we retrieved them at Pearson we noticed both tags had #32 on them instead of #32 and #34.

As for the sand flies i'm not sure what works any more, we had coconut oil, we had Off, and at the end i came home covered in bites and my husband only got a couple.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We came here with a group of friends, six in total. They picked us up from the airport and once we got to the hotel we checked in and proceeded to our beach front villas. They were to connecting ones and were not even 10 steps away from the sand. They had big balcony terraces which were great for relaxing, but we spent most of the time on the sand or doing activities. The palm trees do obstruct the view a bit but they need them to shade the guests which lay down on the beach on the chairs. The staff was great and I particularly enjoyed their breakfasts. I never really booked any excursions with them, but instead negotiated directly with one of the boat owners that hung out on the beach. We had a great time and upon our return, we will probably stay here again. The hotel is located on the West Bay beach which is the nicest in my opinion and you can catch water taxis on the beach to towards the left side. You can also swim out to snorkel towards the left of the pier as well, just don't get to close to the rocky area all the way to the left!

Room Tip: Choose the beach front villas! Beautiful view and next to the restaurant and pool, but to the side s...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Janeth T, Manager at Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us. It was a pleasure having you as guest. We are glad, that you had a great vacation with your friends. We hope to see you all again.

Have a nice day!

Janeth T
Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort Rep.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed at the Mayan Princess for business in November 2012. A terrible 25 minute drive from Roatan Airport - more potholes than you could ever believe, and the most ugly hotel entrance ever. The actual hotel lobby is miniscule but service was fast and I was given a pool view room on the second floor. The room was huge with a separate bedroom, huge living area, separate dining room and a fully equipped kitchen (sadly, didn't see any grocery stores around). TV had many channels including 2 Toronto stations (wo whoo!).
The main bar area was cllosed and under ebuild, but another bar next door was available until 5pm. After that the only bar was at the buffet area. Drinks were free on all inclusive package and their was only one buffet with mediocre food. An a la carte option allowed you to eat from a menu outiside under a palapa that day. Sadly, the sand flies are attrocious and I was well bitten.

The small pool was nice. This is a small resort with around 60 rooms I think and was half full. I am sure it is better in the winter when all areas are open. A real plus is diving in the area and they have a full dive shop and dives for 45$USD. My friend went and it was awesome.

This is a Sunwing tour destination, and as far as a package, I would give it a thumbs up if you like to dive or snorkel.

Staff were very friendly and all spoke English.

Room Tip: All looked pretty good to me
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the Mayan Princess resort for 2 weeks with my sister. The Resort is beautiful and the people are wonderful.Very professional and helpful. The room that we were given was a one bedroom condo/suite with a kitchen, large bathroom, dining table and a very large terrace. The beach is beautiful and the snorkelling from the beach was amazing. Food was buffet style, but due to it being the low season, most meals were a la carte. Roatan is a lovley Island and I would not hesitate to visit there again.The Mayan Princess is a very good resort for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

the water is by far the best i have ever seen in my life i have a 1 year old and he was in and out of the water on his own it was very calm and lots of fish to see and feed
sand also very nice
rooms not so much had ocean view and the room was not what it showed on the web site
the kitchen was very small and very old also had to move coffee table infront of the long stair
ALSO i was traveling with my family but also my mom and dad and we asked to have a balcony that we can share so we would be side by side and they couldnt even help us that way they put our rooms together but not balconys i was a little disappointed about that
way for the lil guy had to get blow dryer from front desk it was first come first serve.
food was not my best if they had hotdogs for lunch they would mix the leftoveres in the dinner baked beans not my cup of tea and my one of us was sick after 5 days. and the 2 restaurants they do provide didnt have anything special the booz was very limited not like any all-inclusive i have ever been to
staff was amazing very kind and friendly the manager not so much looked like a youg guy who alway was around at dinner eating with a girl not in uniform ??????

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights and at the moment is a great 3 star tired apartment hotel. The apartments are tired but very spacious. The bar service (like most places in Roatan) has alot to be desired so don't expected to be waited on. The drama that unfolded when we wanted wine both nights was nothing short of comical waiting up to half an hour for them to sort this even when we pre-arranged with the barman. On the serious side not acceptable. I suggest to order beer or spirits until the staff get some training. The location is excellent right on the beach and the swimming pool is great also. All the rooms in the hotel are about to be completely re-done and is expected to be finished by Christmas 2012 so I was told. The soft re-furb has potential to be the face lift the hotel needs, I just hope they also get some professional staff training in for the bar area. Knowing what to expect, I would still recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: if you want a quiet room, ask for a room above reception as these are away from the beach clubs eith...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Comox, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've been to a few places but this one is evrything I wanted. A usable well groomed beach and didn't get eaten by sand fleas like Dominican. Service was excellent. It was clean, easy acess to beach and daytime fun at your door step...JUst walk on the beach and there was a deal to be had weather buying souvenirs or parasailing! Drinks served right to your chair on the beach.
Happy, happy people ready to serve you. Can't wait to go back in 2013. Oh yes..the remote thing although minor...would be mice!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mayan Princess Beach & Dive Resort? Share your experiences!