My wife and I went to Roatan for a week in February. It was our first trip to the island and we had no idea where to stay or what to expect. Through fortunate circumstance we ended up at the Bananarama. I have to say, I wasn't expecting much with a goofy name like Bananarama and the low rate quote made me kind of nervous but they did have accomodation with a king size bed which is important to us. I was also interested in doing some scuba diving so having a Dive Shop on the premises with reasonable rates was encouraging.
All of that said, this turned out to be the best resort experience I have ever enjoyed. I would note that if you are looking for hot night life this wouldn't be your first choice but for a wonderfully unpretentious resort this place is for you. The cabanas are great with very competent housekeeping. We were welcomed as if we were part of the family. (I was worried that they might come in the room and kiss us good night. LOL) This is a family operation that is careful not to interfere with your privacy yet always attentive.
There were some families with children at the resort and though we didn't have any of our little ones, I know they will enjoy the resort on subsequent visits.
The staff at the Dive Shop was excellent. My certification class included a 14 year old boy, a young professional and me (in my sixties). Our instructor (Marco) was able to tailor the class to the wide range of our individual ages and physical needs providing competent professional instruction that was fun and exciting. We all passed our certification requirements. Everyone was helpful and attentive to those of us who were just learning while still providing a quality experience for the experienced divers. If you want to dive or learn to dive, the rates are fair while the equipment and instruction are top notch.
If you just want to snorkel all you have to do is walk into the water and start swimming. The reef is only a short swim off shore or you can get a boat with a guide for longer trips to wrecks and other points of interest.
The accomodations include breakfast and they have a lunch special every day that is less than $10. Though my wife and I don't drink they do have a happy hour everyday and usually have live music at the bar on the beach which is just a short walk from your cabana. In addition to the bar and the food available there, they have a very classy restaurant for evening fine dining.
We were very happy with the price, the accomodations and the service. We went for a week and stayed for two because we just couldn't leave! Go have fun.
I can't say enough good things. This was about the best vacation ever.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on West Bay Beach, our Roatan Eco Friendly Dive and Beach Front Resort is blessed with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean shaded under an amazing tropical canopy. We offer an island dream vacation for those who want to escape the stress of everyday life and relax Roatan Island style. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms with a hammock on every porch and offer free breakfast, wifi, beach chairs, kayaks and smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Hotel West Bay
- Bananarama Dive Hotel
- Hotel Bananarama Dive
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras