“Great pizza” 5 of 5 stars

Random Sunshine Special
Ranked #3 of 11 hotels in West Bay
“Great pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We went here for my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner. We had 12 people and got 4 pizzas. The pizza was so delicious!! Went back for lunch another day and had the west end pizza which is shrimp and blue cheese! So good!! The beers weren't too cold from the bar but the good sure was wonderful!

• Stayed May 2014

794 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Hampshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

We booked a day trip here through island marketing during our cruise. The staff are waiting just out of the port, only a short walk following instructions given on booking. Short cab ride and our guide escorted us in and found us seats etc, he also stayed nearby all day incase we wanted to go anywhere else.

The beach is a protected area, it's beautiful but very busy with local tradesmen and women and children. We found a serious no thank you worked well but I understand how this can be stressful to some. Food and drink was ok, not too busy this August, beach is very clean and tidy, toys and shaded area available. Friendly staff and and there are also a few local shops. A good day for the family.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I am torn writing this review because my wife and I absolutely loved the island and will be going back again but we will not be staying at Bananarama. We went here for our honeymoon and stayed six nights in one of the beachfront villas. There were good parts about the resort but the bad far out weighed them. If you make it to the end of the review there will be many suggestions and tips for your stay in Roatan.

For one the bed was absolutely uncomfortable and one of the worst that I have slept in. My wife and I did not get one good night of sleep. Once I got back home my back was killing me and I ended up having a muscle strain. We told the staff about the bed but they did not seem to care.

Second we were overcharged $90 from what I was quoted. I tried to talk to the front desk but it did not work.

We were interrupted late at night after we were already asleep. Around noon I told the front desk that every time I turned the fans on the patio it tripped the breaker. Come midnight we were awoken by two workers in our kitchen. I went down there to explain what was wrong with the fans. They did not understand so they left without fixing the problem.

We got tired of the resort trying to overcharge us for everything. If you talk to the workers at the dive shop and make friends with some of the workers you will find out what you should actually pay. $40 to be picked up from the airport was a little ridiculous. Come to find out if you book your own cab it is over half that. One of the things we loved about the island was the snorkeling. Luckily I asked someone how much snorkeling should cost. Was told for guests it should cost $10/person for the whole day to rent the gear. When we went to rent the equipment the worker tried to charge us $10/person per hour. After about 20 minutes of going back and forth we were finally given the equipment for the right price. We went deep sea fishing but did not book through the resort since it was overpriced. I went to ask how much it would cost to cook our catch. I asked the cooks themselves and multiple employees how much it would cost. The next day we were hassled because I was told that I owed money.

On our last night we went to Vintage Pearl, their nice restaurant on sight. It was average food that cost fine dining prices. Their seafood was overcooked and not of very good quality.

As for the good parts. The breakfast food that was included with the prices was wonderful. Different breakfast was served each morning and this was one part we looked forward to. Alot of the staff was nice and I appreciated some of them helping me not get ripped off. Our villa was right on the beach as described.

***Tips and things to do on the island***

1. Rent a scooter from Cpt Vans right outside the gate for the day ($34 with insurance). This was our favorite thing we did. We went all the way to Camp Bay and ate at La Sirena. Took just under two hours to get there. Well worth it. We went to Punta Gorda but there isnt really anything there. Go to the Iguana farm (forgot city it was in). Admission is $10 a person but will let you in for $5. We toured French Bay and French Cay. Our last stop was walking the market in Coxen Hall. Prices are alot cheaper there and you can get some wonderful street food. Find a juice stand and get fresh juice in a plastic bag for a $1 and get some of their fried pastels. During the tour of the island we stopped at several street shops and bought a couple souvenirs.

2. We did not dive because I wasnt certified so we just went snorkeling. Spent a couple days doing this. You dont have to get a tour boat to bring you around. We went to a couple places and just swam out from the beach. Though one of the spots we crossed a boating lane so we had to be careful. One of them was the Blue Channel. We had a water taxi take us to a random resort to swim out from their shore. Since nobody was on the beach we paid some random resort worker $4 to watch our bags. He was ecstatic to make a few extra dollars.

3. Places and things to eat (and not to): Creole Roitesseri Chicken (name of restaurant) in the West End. This was a small place and was recommended by a local. Do not eat the mangos or small yellow fruits you see people selling on the side of the street in Coxenhall. You can walk the beach which are lined with restaurants. Each will post their specials for the day. We did this twice. We had the fish tacos at Foster's and had a sea bass sandwich at La Palapas which were both fantastic. In the West End there is a small street stand on the north end directly across from Woody's groceries. It does not have a name. We had some our best food their and it was real cheap. Three of our meals were cooked from the fish we caught from our deep sea fishing trip by the chefs at Bananarama. They were excellent. Dont eat the pizza at the pizza shop at Bananarama. It is undercooked.

4. If you want good coffee go to Java Vine in West Bay. We ended up buying three of their bags of coffee to take home.

5. If you go to the far north end of the beach in West Bay you find a place called Bite on the Beach. It sits over the water. It is a great atmosphere and you can get some cool pictures. We had a couple drinks there and enjoyed relaxing there for a little bit. Make sure to get the Freaky Tiki.

6. Everything is negotiable in Roatan. There are local prices and tourist prices. After a couple days we were able to get pretty close to local prices when it came to taxis and water taxis. Just ask around what you should pay.

Room Tip: Look at the map on their website. Pick a room that is further away from their restaurant on the bea...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed at Bananarama six nights on a travel deal w my family and family friends and had such an enjoyable time. The hotel is only about a 25 min drive from the airport (our package included r/t transportation to/from) and is on the West Bay of Roatan.

The grounds are well kept and the majority of the staff is quite friendly, save a few girls in the reception area that were always prioritizing being on their cell phone or talking w each other rather than providing stellar customer service. Our package also included 2 free excursions; zip lining & an entry to scuba course. Both were great! Special shout out to the Dive center as a whole and especially Keeran!!

The hotel offers many activities to keep you busy and mingling including movie night, karoke, and live music. Sundays are full of good times here on the beach.

Breakfast was included daily and the menu changes the "hot food item" selection daily. Food comes quickly from the Thirsty Turtle or Pizzarama, but couldn't say the same for the Vintage Pearl-waited almost an hour (despite being one of two small parties there) and the food was served over cooked and cold.... Management comped this meal on our behalf.

Some serious cons for me on this trip was the twin bed mattress and shower in our room. The shower is so tiny and the cheap curtain lets water escape everywhere...the mattress sustained your body heat despite the temp in the room, which made it next to impossible to get more than 4 hours of consistent sweat free sleep at a time. Also the music at the bar goes on until at least 10p every night (sometimes 11) so if you're staying in any of the larger numbered villas close to the bar and beach (let's say maybe rooms 15 and up) your forced to deal w the noise.

The hammocks are a wonderful touch and made for many relaxing evenings on the porch.

Overall had a really great time and would love to visit the hotel and the island again in the future!!

Stayed August 2014
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed next door, and can only evaluate the bar and dive operations -- both of which were great. First thing about their dive team - they are very big on best practices and they do things by the book -- no card, no dive. Not advanced? 60 feet limit. Dive instructors were very professional and helpful. They pointed out ways for me to improve my diving form (even thought I was just there to dive - no lessons).

If I return to Roatan, no question I'd return, and if I could do one thing different, I'd stay at the property, too.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at Bananrama for two weeks in July and had an amazing time. We had a great deal which included food, accommodation and diving. Hut 2 was a great hut, right by the dive shop and next to security. We didn't have any problems with flies except for the odd mozzy that sneaked in when we went in and out the door.

All the staff at the resort were really friendly and helpful. The restaurant/bar (reviewed separately) was right on the beach and everything we needed was a short walk away. Breakfast everyday was great and the food was good and in huge portions, my partner and I ended up sharing one meal between us as they were so big!

I'd like to say a special thank you to Aldoto and Dishon who were there most days, always with a smile and hello.

Lots of entertainment at the bar each evening, which was great, however as we were there for two weeks, it was a little repetitive by the end.

The diving was absolutely spectacular and I felt very comfortable with all the guys we dived with being a relative newby. Zoe, Marco, Craig and Lunita were all brilliant. The absolute highlight was the night dive, just after the full moon where we saw the most phenomenal bioluminescent string of pearls, it really was like being in another world. Someone compared it with Avatar and I have to completely agree.

It did get a little busier when the cruise ships were in and it took longer to get served, but not dramatically so. We were out diving as much as we could so didn't really use the beach that much.

We walked to West End one day and were not overly impressed, much happier to hang out at Bananrama.

Overall a brilliant resort with great people - I'll be back as soon as I can!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Riverside, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have to say, I was a bit disappointed with our stay based on things I saw in other reviews as well as things that occurred during out say.

First I will say I wish I could review the "resort" and dive shop separately. This was our first experience with diving and we were very comfortable with the staff and loved our dives. I would use the dive shop again, but wouldn't likely stay at the resort.

Our package was supposed to include a beach side room, but our confirmation email (which took almost two months to get) stated that we would be in Garden Room #17. After reminding them that we were supposed to be in a beach side room, they told us that we were moved to a beach side room. We were in room #17 and it wasn't until after I got home that I realized they had never even changed rooms for us. Kind of felt like they were just telling us whatever we wanted to hear. This room IS shown on their website as a beachside room, but I don't know how it could be considered a beachside room as we could not even see the beach.

What we could see from our room was the Thirsty Turtle and the public showers/changing rooms/bathrooms for people who paid to use the beach. The showers were apparently a fun place for kids to play, and throughout our stay we had to listen to high pitched screaming. One evening some kids were repeatedly pushing the button and then would scream at the top of their lungs when the water hit them. After more than 10 minutes I finally went out there to ask them to stop screaming and was somewhat surprised to see an adult was with them, whose reply to my request was to look at me and say "Whatever." As I went back into my room I heard the noise of a walkie talkie and a few minutes later it did quiet down, so perhaps an employee finally took care of it, but it was a reoccurring problem and shouldn't have gone on that long. The fact that people can pay to use part of the beach and/or the showers often resulted in random people roaming around with no regard for others, as was the case here. They also are an excursion on some of the cruise lines, which means two days a week the beach is full of people who are not guests of the resort. There is an area that is only for resort guests, but it's up off the beach.

There was also a lot of noise from the Thirsty Turtle at night, both from the music and patrons at the bar and those coming and going along the walkway. Even with earplugs in, I could still hear it at night.

As for the rooms - I've seen some responses to reviews stating "we do not claim to be a five star resort" and that's fine, but there were some definite cleanliness issues. There was mold on the wall in our bathroom, in two obvious places. The bottom mattress or box spring did not have a cover over it, and it looked disgusting, I don't even want to think about what the top mattress might have looked like. The sheets and towels were all thin and worn and the faucet in the bathroom was gross. Another issue with our room location is that on at least three days we were there a terribly strong sulfur smell coming from somewhere near the showers/restrooms, which pretty much rendered the deck and hammock useless.

Our package was supposed to include two stand up paddleboard rentals with a guide. The day we wanted to use it the guide was nowhere to be found for quite some time. When he finally returned he gave us a quick lesson and sent us on our way in the direction of all the other resorts where there really wasn't anything to see or do. When we returned the guy renting the boards was again nowhere to be found and I had to haul the board back up onto the stand myself. Later that same day, two other guests that we spent some time with told us that they too had rented the boards. It wasn't included in their package, so they talked him down to less than half of the usual price AND he went with them on a guided trip in the opposite direction around Black Rock but didn't charge them the "guide" fee. Seems to me that was what we should have gotten.

The general attitude from the staff was very hit or miss. One of the women that would work the stand where we got the beach towels or purchased a few other things was so indifferent towards customers that she would space out and I would have to ask her the same thing two or three times. This happened more than once. Once when we sat down for lunch our server told us he would get menus. Several minutes later I saw him chatting at the bar with another employee while we were still waiting for the menus.

Our package included transportation from the airport and there was another couple with us on the way. We decided to stop at the store to stock up on water and snacks but we had to pay $10/couple for the stop. Why? We also inquired about how to get to the botanic gardens. The woman at the reception desk sent us to the tour organizer who told us that he would get us a taxi to take us, wait and drive us back for $30 which did not include entrance into the garden. This seemed ridiculous. While I was at a store up the road I asked a driver and was given a price of $25. I thought surely the price through the resort driver would be more reasonable, but was also told $30. It's only five miles! We gave up and went snorkeling instead.

The two best things about staying here were the dive shop and the fact that if you walk for about 5 minutes you will be in a great spot for snorkeling. We did also enjoy the Sunday night fire dancers.

I was hoping for a quiet relaxing vacation, it just wasn't what I got. We’d likely return to Roatan, but we’ll be investigating other places to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!