“Wonderful beach resort for people of all types!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay Beach, West Bay, Honduras   |
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in West Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sacramento, California
“Wonderful beach resort for people of all types!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I came here with my wife for a 4 day getaway from our kids while they were with the grandparents in Guatemala. We loved it here and someday will come back with the kids. The resort was nice and cozy. The service was great, everyone was so friendly. They have a good amount of space on the beach with nice water to swim for kids. You can rent snorkels from them and just a 5 min walk and couple hundred feet of swimming gets you to some wonderful underwater wildlife and coral That was amazing. The a/c worked great in the rooms, there was filtered water and a safe for your valuables. The restaurant/bar had great food as well with different specials every day. Breakfasts were complimentary for us at least and were very good and changed daily. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are pretty good. We had a private bungalow so no one above or below us to worr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
We are really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so much with us. We look forward to having you again soon. I highly recommend our Thursday through Sunday activities for anyone coming for a partial week...lots of fun:)
Louis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

My husband and I just got back from staying a week at Banarama (technically we were on the Island Pearl in a beachside two story bungalow), and it was amazing! I was so impressed with the quality of staff, as well as the quantity of staff. There was lots of security, and always someone available to answer questions, get you a beach chair, etc. Having so many restaurants on site, along with a beachside bar, was great for dining with a view, as well as getting drinks to have out on the beach. Our beachside bungalow was the perfect location! It was tucked back away from the crowds, but still just steps away from the sand. We had a huge pourch with a hammock and other patio furnitue (it also had two ceiling fans, which was super nice!). Thirsty Turtle has music/acitivities every night, but they always end at 10 so it doesn't disturb your sleep. The location is also great for snorkeling! We are huge on snorkeling. We loved heading straight out from the hotel out to the buoys where the reef started, and then swimming 400 yards west to the wall. The reef is gorgeous and we saw so many awesome fish and creatures! I would definitely come back and stay here again, and would want to be on the Island Pearl side again! It was one of the best weeks ever for us! My only two compaints would be some of the ladies in the office were kind of rude. When I checked out, the lady never asked me how my stay was or anything. She was busy talking to one of the employees the entire time and never really said a word to me. I really hope she added up all of my room charges correctly since she was talking the whole time. The few other time I went in there about different things, they were also kind of rude-as if I was thoroughly annoying them by my questions. But all the other staff around the resort were awesome! My other complaint would be that the room needed another mirrior! Having that one little mirrior in the tiny bathroom made it difficult for my husband and I to get ready at the same time. But that's very minor! Overall, I have no reservations giving this place 5 stars!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed review. Island Pearl is next to Bananarama and guests at the Pearl do have access Bananarama's amenities:)

I will follow up with the reception manager to see what is going on and correct the problems you have experienced. Most of our guests have reported very positive comments on the reception as of late so I will need to follow up and check to see what is going on.

Mirrors here are optional:) ... but I will check into your accommodation and see what I can do!

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Ferndale, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Just visited Bananarama for the 12th time from March 29th through April 5th. The weather was spectacular, every day was sunny and in the mid to upper 80's. the resport is run by Jeff who also lives there and is a hands on manager from about 6a to 8p daily. I love spending lunch and evenings at the Thirsty Turtle bar & grill. Over the years the turnover of the bartenders and wait staff has been minimal so you are being served by experienced, friendly people who act like they want to be there. Carolina, Alfonso and Albert are excellent servers, while behind the bar Sandra, Derry, Edison and Marta are the best. The rooms are basic but maids like Odaliz and Marleny clean them every day. Every morning I snorkeled on the reef and enjoyed the great diversity of sea life found there. Sometimes the creatures on the reef are just as curious about you as you are about them. One morning a sea turtle swam up to within 1 foot of me to check me out. This is an example of why I keep coming back to this resort and this island. In addition to the great reef that is within swimming distance from the beach on West Bay there is the easy access to the island from several U.S. airports (I use Atlanta), the fact that Bananarama is such a beautiflu tropical resort situated at the center of West Bay beach and has very reasonable rates, and lastly and most importantly the people at Bananarama. I can honestly say that in all of the times that i have stayed there never once have I encountered a staff member that was rude or indifferent. When I am there I never feel like I am a customer i always feel like a member of the Bananarama family.

Room Tip: The month of May the weather in Roatan is incredible and airfares tend to be low.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
We are looking forward to your 13th visit soon! It is crazy to think that Bananarama is the oldest operating resort on the beach... We have seen a lot of changes through the years and are committed to keeping our resort with a caribbean rustic type of feel. We love our staff and the authentic caribbean vibe that they bring to our resort.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

So I haven't been to too many tropical vacations, but this one will be very hard to beat. I was a little nervous at first by wondering what the rustic experience would be, but it turned out to be the perfect experience. I stayed in an efficiency, which was perfect for a single traveler. It had a great view of the sandy courtyard with a partial view of the beach and ocean in the background. It was the perfect tropical experience. There was a little noise each nite from the clean up from the Island Pearl, but that once only for a short while and worth the trade off for the location of the room. Except for the time I walked down the driveway to go check out the stores and other restaurants down the street, I spent the entire time barefooted. Even to eat at the Island Pearl. The breakfast available each morning seemed to be perfect for divers (a little bit of fruit and a little bit of some variation of eggs and beans). During the lunch time break, got to eat next to the beach from a variety of quick bites (burgers, pizza, southwestern egg rolls) while waiting for our afternoon dive.
Next, is the dive shop. All the guys there are just awesome. Marcus runs a Very well organized operation. With the different trips going out each morning, I was very impressed of the personal care that the divemasters were able to still give each and every diver. Everyone was having a great time in a safely maintained enviroment. I can't really say enough about these guys. Lots of great new friends and like I said, best vacation so far. I definitely plan to make this a yearly weekend stop. :-)
There was one incident that I do have to mention about one of the bartenders in the morning, but I am chalking that up to the fact that she had to close up the night before. I tried to nicely ask if I could just get fruit with breakfast since I was in a rush to get to the knowledge review at 8 am. She then told me in a matter of fact way (not in a rude way, but just fact) that divers get served at 8, before the other guest, since we go out at 8:30. I told her that I was just trying to get something before my review at 8, but that divers were expected to be getting ready at 8:15, not 8:30. Again, I think it was just a bad night and not the usual, since all the other mornings, I got there at 8 and most of my fellow divers were actually already finished eating.

So anyways, big reason for the 5, is that I was in the best mood of my life when I left and wore my smile for several days after getting back to work. It actually took several weeks before anything at work began to poke through my bubble :-) Definitely 5 stars for Marcus and his great staff and 5 stars (but with a small note) for the great guys (front desk, all bartenders, cooks, shopkeepers, and everyone there) at the resort. Looking forward to seeing you again next year!

Room Tip: This is a great rustic experience with old fashioned rooms. A perfect getaway for the tropical islan...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Michael,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and future guests. We greatly look forward to your return next year and the best part is that the same smiling faces you left will still be waiting for you when you come back:)

Yes our rooms are rustic... we like them that way. When we originally came to Roatan 10 years ago we fell in love with the people, the island vibe and of course the beach... we are holding onto this paradise or at least what we fell in love with for other travelers like yourself for as long as we can!

Thank you again for your recommendation and we look forward to your return trip.
Franklin, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed here with my wife and our two college kids. The property is literally on the beach and West Bay has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. That is a huge plus. The rooms were fine. My son slept on a futon and he reported it to be uncomfortable. The dive shop was great and Marcos does a nice job. I give high marks to the dive experience here. The place has a lot going for it. Reason for average rating: Breakfast is included but you get what they have that morning so no choice in breakfast meal. Coffee is pretty bad here. The service at the bar can be poor. Some of the bartenders (Martha especially) don't seem to care if you are served. I had to ask three times for her to serve me a beer (and the bar was not busy at all.)
Next time I will try one of the other resorts on West Bay but we had a great time at Bananarama. They do get the cruise ship people two or three days per week so that is a negative as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our breakfast is limited to fruit plates, yogurt, cereal and a hot dish that rotates each day. We are also happy to serve on request eggs/toast or other quick/simple breakfast items if the offered selection does not meet your fancy.

We really do try to make sure that our guests are happy... we are in the business of making our guests happy! I will talk to the bartenders and discuss with them the problems you have mentioned.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts. We look forward to seeing you again.
San Mateo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I feel like i have stayed at a completely different resort from the rest of the reviewers! Our experience at Bananarama was anything but pleasant. Let me start by saying that they are not a five star hotel, nor do they claim to be. They advertise clean and affordable rooms with great service and that is what we expected. Unfortunately, Bananarama was not any of these things. Our bungalow was very outdated: old tile in the bathroom to the point of looking dirty even when clean, shower that barely has any pressure, uncomfortable bed, broken windows to list a few. Everything smelled of mold and just was not pleasant to look at. The restaurant that had very inattentive stuff and breakfasts that were just bland. Not to mention we found a roach in our room. You have to understand, we stayed at some rustic places before and did not expect posh accommodations but when you are at one of the most beautiful beaches, you at least want to be comfortable - take a nice shower after a dive or nap in the afternoon in a comfortable setting. Bananarama doesn't offer any of this and on top of it the charges an arm and a leg. There are bunch of other resorts on the same beach that offer much more for much less $$.

Room Tip: Go to any other hotel next door - less expansive and more for your money
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kate,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I wish you would have been upfront with us when you were staying here and we would have made every possible amenity available to you to make sure you enjoyed your vacation. You are correct that we are not a posh resort and we do not offer many luxuries. Our rooms are clean, comfortable and affordable. Our staff is what makes this an amazing place and we are really shooting for the wooden cabana with a hammock out front for all our guests... we like the rustic caribbean feel and we realize it is not for everyone. I would suggest in the future you read tripadvisor reviews completely before you book... I think there is plenty of feedback here about places on West Bay Beach and feel you made a poor choice in your vacation accommodations for what you were needing... Concrete structures, granite countertops and pools can be found at other resorts.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again as a patron for our restaurants.
Tampa, Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful week of diving and relaxing, a nice escape from the final cold days of Colorado. The resort was nice but the real winner were the people at Bananarama. Denise in reception was pleasant and helpful. Carolina working evenings in the restaurant was incredibly sweet, prompt and a true gem! Zoe and Edwin made a fantastic pair as our dive master and boat captain. Zoe was incredibly knowledgeable, competent and had a relaxed demeanor that allowed me to grow my diving confidence and ability. My only slight complaint is that sometimes we waited for the wait staff (except Carolina) a bit longer than would have liked. Once I relaxed and accepted the "island time" philosophy, all was good!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Tamara,

We are looking forward to having you back soon. Carolina has been with us for 7 years now and knows most of our return guests by heart! I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff as they are what makes Bananarama such a great place.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Louis

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!