“Another wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Fairfield, Iowa
“Another wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We returned to Bananarama for the second time and had another wonderful stay. The weather was spectacular the last week of February, as was the water for snorkeling. Special thanks to Carolina for her outstanding service, warm greetings and attention to detail at the Thirsty Turtle restaurant. Bananarama is a very relaxing, clean and friendly place to visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Margo,

Thank you for coming back and joining us! I am really happy that Carolina was able to attend to you. She has an amazing memory and often can recall your favorites from your last visit! Crazy when you think of how many guests come through the resort each year...yet she remembers them all:)

We deeply appreciate your recommendation and look forward to your third stay with us in the near future:)
Louis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Sherwood Park, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

They have a great dive shop with excellent dive masters and small dive groups. The food was good but a lot of it was fried and the menu got old after 10 days. They have good entertainment every night with live bands, karaoke, crab races, fire dancers and movie night. It gets really busy 4 days a week due to the cruise ships that come in and the beach gets a bit crowded. Accomodations were a bit rustic but clean. I would stay away from rooms 17, 18, 19 and 20 because when the wind is right there is a strong septic smell and also when the power goes out ( which is frequent) the diesel generator kicks in and it is very loud next to these rooms. The staff are very good and hard working.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I agree that eating at the same restaurant for 10 days can get really old... I would suggest that we have the 4 restaurants on site... the Phat Turtle Cafe, Pizzarama, Vintage Pearl and the Thirsty Turtle... after this I would then suggest that we have more than 20 different options within just a short walk of our resort... I would not recommend all of them personally, but quite a few of them are very good.

Thank you again for your review. I am really happy you had such a great time and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

If you are looking for a resort where you can relax, explore, have fun while feeling completely at home and welcome, you need to visit the Bananarama Beach and Dive resort. The rooms are comfortable and well kept, The resort is eco-friendly and the gardens surrounded my room which was wonderful. I came to Bananarama resort to scuba dive and do some dive training. Marco did my dive booking and he made it quick and easy to book dives and training in advance. I received one on one instruction from Zoe who is a truly professional diving instructor on staff. Any equipment problems that I had,(most often with my own gear) were quickly resolved. The dive staff: Daniel, Katie and Lanita lead me on numerous dives and their knowledge of the diving hot spots , sea life and their enthusiasm for diving was amazing. The Dive center only runs small dIve trips (8 to 10 people max) although the boats are big enough for many more, thus making the diving less crowded and more enjoyable. The entire dive center crew were the friendliest and most helpful that I have ever met, they are like friends.
After a day of diving, the staff of the Thirsty Turtle Bar: Sandra, Jebby and Marta were welcoming and attentive regardless how busy it got. The servers especially Albert and Alex were always fast and efficient. But the most remarkable thing about my stay was that the staff here take the time to get to know you. They knew my name not just my room number like other resorts. The resorts facilities: the Thirsty turtle bar, the Phat Turtle restaurant, The Island Pearl restaurant and wine bar, the thoughtful turtle gift shop and the Bananarama Info centers are well run and as a result are extremely popular with guests staying at other resorts along the beach.
There is live entertainment almost every evening, with Charity Hermit crab races and Fire dancers every sun which was so much fun, they even have a movie night on the beach ( first movie is for the kids) which is great. At the end of my stay I found myself trying to find a way to stay longer. I did so many great adventures and found so many other things that I wanted to do but I ran out of time to do them all. I recommend this resort to anyone who wants to relax, have fun and feel truly welcome and at home. I know that I will be going back soon!

Room Tip: Beach front rooms have a great view and easy access to everything but you may hear the entertainment...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
We deeply appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience and for recommending us to future guests. Our dive shop is amazing and I would encourage guests to book ahead as we have had to turn guests from other resorts away this year due to how crazy busy we have been over the last couple months. We do thank you very much for mentioning which employees made your trip special as feedback helps us a great deal regarding employee hours, promotions and raises.

Many of our local guests started with just a vacation and then found a way to stay forever:)

Thank you again for your thoughts and for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

This place was amazing! We rented multiple cabins for a friends and family trip and it was well suited for all of our various vacation ideals. The dive shop has fabulous service, along with everyone from the restaurant to the beach chair guys and the clean in and maintenance crew. The rooms are perfect, they aren't fancy but that is what I love about it. They are clean and comfortable. I recommend coming here before this beach becomes discovered like Cancun!

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. Yes West Bay Beach is getting "discovered" quickly... the prices here are still a fraction of many other Caribbean islands and we are really blessed to be here at this time. Thank you again for taking the time to share you experience. We look forward to having you with us again soon.
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed 2 weeks and just loved it . The staff are great and by the time you go home they are like family . The resort was well maintained and always vary clean . Food was good and the restaurant staff always greeted us with huge smiles . The location on West Bay is just amazing and you get world class snorkeling right off the beach . Jeff you run a great resort .

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the resort will be a little quieter because the bar and restaurant are at t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bananarama03, Owner at Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share you thoughts and experience at our resort. We really love what we do and feel we are in the business of making people happy:) Way better than some of the jobs I have had in the past and its really fun to meet new guests who leave as friends. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I spent a lot of time researching our trip prior to arrival. We kept going back and forth on where to stay... West End or West Bay. After having visited both, we are SO happy we chose West Bay. Per our research we read that West End was convenient for food/drinks/going out and West Bay catered more to the beach loungers - everyone was right on that West Bay is a beach lovers paradise, however, we found there to be just as many selections and tasty bites on West Bay as we did West End.

We chose Bananarama because of the great prices and countless positive reviews. We are pleased to affirm that for the most part, everything we read was true. The location of the resort could not be more perfect. The resort is located right in the middle of West Bay with easy access to all of the other beach resorts and restaurants.

SERVICE:: One word, incredible. Immediately upon arrival we were greeted by Bianca at the front desk. She was very sweet and helpful in showing us around the resort and giving us all the info we could possibly need. Even prior to arriving, the front desk was very helpful in arranging transportation to and from the resort and airport (estimating $25).

We spent more time than we had anticipated at the resort's restaurant, Thirsty Turtle. The food was great, yes, but even more the service was fantastic! Almost all of the servers we had were great, but one server in particular, Adolfo, made a lasting impression and kept us coming back at least once each of the 5 days we spent at the resort. I am not sure we have ever experienced such a personable service at a restaurant before. If you go to Thirsty Turtle, you definitely want Adolfo to wait on you!

If you are having a sweet tooth - you definitely want to hit up the "Phat Turtle". The ice cream and fresh fruit popsicles are the perfect compliment to the warm/humid weather. And of course, the service at this little shop is just as great as the treats. Evorn who works the cashier is a riot. I enjoyed chatting with her just as much as I did devouring the sweets.

The resort was also very helpful in assisting us set up tours and excursions. We worked with Franklin to setup our excursion to The Little French Key and he was great! Went out of his way to call the island and ask our not so short list of questions prior to us committing to the excursion. He even made it a point to meet us the morning of our trip to make sure we were all set with transportation and see if we had any additional questions.

SLEEP QUALITY:: The power went out several times during our recent stay. Unfortunately it seemed to go out at least once in the middle of every night. After speaking with locals, it appears that this is something that is very common for the island as a whole - not necessarily the Resort's problem, but definitely something that affected our sleep. The resort does appear to have back up generators, but they did not always kick in immediately - so there were a couple of heated and slightly uncomfortable hours at night.

Not sure if the walls are paper thin or our neighbors were extra loud, but this was another negative for sleep quality. The neighbor to the adjoining room snored louder than a rhino and literally felt like the wall was shaking. Having the beds headboard-to-headboard is probably a poor layout decision on the resorts part. My husband and I literally ended up pulling our bed to the middle of the room to try and make the snoring more bearable. Unfortunately we had it from all sides... It sounded like there were elephants stomping around in the room above us. All of these sounds seemed to be especially amplified while the power was out and it was dead silent.

ROOMS/CLEANLINESS:: The resort is definitely old and outdated, but overall the cleanliness is very good. We came back to our room everyday to a clean room, fresh sheets, etc. Everything you would expect from your hotel.

Overall, we would recommend Bananarama Resort to anyone looking to stay in the West Bay area. The relationships we made with the resort staff during our short stay made us feel extra comfortable. The owner is also very attentive which is great to see. There was not a day that passed that we did not see him roaming the premise and making sure that visitors were doing well. The interaction between the owner and employees was also very refreshing to see - It's evident through the excellent service and interactions with customers, that they truly have a great thing going on at this resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate the time you have taken to give such a detailed review of our resort. We are not a concrete and pool style resort that can be found in so many places throughout the world... we have the laid back beach bungalow kind of feel... our biggest complaint from North American guests (keep in mind I am from Idaho) is that we are too laid back... I guess I would comment that when you reserve at our hotel we are not a sterilized hotel atmosphere... you get 100% local authentic staff who really want to help and serve, but it is important to remember that they often cater to us with luxuries they could never afford or standards they have never experienced...if you want crazy fast service with food flown in from around the world, million dollar pools and a private maid/butler I can recommend a couple places in Miami or California.... if you are looking for an amazing beach, soft sand, rustic garden cabana and amazing locals who cater to their very best ability to your every need then you have come to the right place:)

That being said we love our location, our staff is absolutely amazing and they really do make each vacation special! Bianca and Adolfo are amazing and we are really happy to have them with us! We definitely have a lot of options for our guests and we are really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed 9 nights in Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort.
We have a really good, because it is impossible to have a bad time in Roatán.
Our room number 12, was amazing. It was big big, confortable and was always cleaned.
People there are very friendly, and helpfull.
The food from the restaurant is amazing! We ate there everyday.
They have always activities during the night!

What I dont like about the Resort, is that every day arrive people from cruices, and not only they crowded all the beach, restaurant and all the facilities of the Resorts; but also the employees of the Resort just pay attention to them in orden to get a good tip.
So if u need something, we were always then of the people of the cruice. I thought this was not fair, as we have paid for 9 nights and I think we deserve the same attention as the others. Just for this, I think I will not return to the Resort.

Room Tip: All rooms are big and nice. Perphaps the ones that are far from the restaurant are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Melisa,

I would highly suggest that if guests are looking for a super tranquil setting that coming during our peak season for cruiseships is not the best time... Christmas through easter we do get quite a few ships... my personal favorite months are May, June and July to visit Roatan. The cruiseships slow down and the hotels are not crammed full.

Our servers work very hard to make sure all our guests are treated with the utmost respect. If at anytime you do choose to come again I would suggest if something is amiss that you ask for a manager immediately. I am not saying that we dont have room for improvement especially with over 100 staff here at the resort, but if we do have a problem we want to know about it immediately so we can address it.

Thank you again for visiting us and we hope you will choose us for your return stay.
Louis

Been to Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!