my husband and i stayed at bananarama for the week of thanksgiving in november 2012. we had never tried diving before and wanted to get open water certified. i was a bit apprehensive about diving in general, but i got a good feeling from emailing w/ the dive shop manager, mal. he suggested we start with the "discover scuba" course to get a feel for diving and then decide whether to pursue the full open water course. this was a good suggestion in my opinion, the discover scuba class was a nice overall diving intro and it counted towards our open water certification.
our dive instructor was marc, and he was great. very patient and encouraging throughout the whole course. everyone we spoke to at bananarama (including both beginners and very experienced divers) were really enjoying the dives and had great things to say about all of the instructors/staff.
the bananarama resort is very casual and relaxing, which was exactly what we wanted. delicious food, friendly staff & bartenders, and a nice location on the island. the area can be a bit busy during the daytime but it definitely quiets down later at night. they had live music at the bar and fire dancers on the beach a few of the nights we were there, which was fun to watch.
we stayed in one of the garden rooms towards the back of the property (i think it was 11 or 12). the rooms are pretty basic and no-frills but we spent most of our time outside of the room anyway. our a/c unit worked fine but it rattled a bit which kept us up the first night, so we just turned it off & opened all the windows which kept us cool enough at night.
overall it was a great week and we really enjoyed our stay. whether you're looking for a place to try diving for the first time, or you have been diving for many years, i would highly recommend bananarama.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on West Bay Beach, our Roatan Eco Friendly Dive and Beach Front Resort is blessed with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean shaded under an amazing tropical canopy. We offer an island dream vacation for those who want to escape the stress of everyday life and relax Roatan Island style. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms with a hammock on every porch and offer free breakfast, wifi, beach chairs, kayaks and smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Hotel West Bay
- Bananarama Dive Hotel
- Hotel Bananarama Dive
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras