I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Bananarama. I liked that the resort was smaller, giving a very warm, relaxed and cozy atmosphere. The resort is located right on West Bay beach with stunning sunset views.
The rooms/cabanas are basic, but comfortable and clean. As they say on their website - they're rooms are for sleeping! Meliza was there everyday after breakfast to make sure our room was spic and span. The cabanas are rustic, really giving you that awesome caribbean vibe. We only used the AC the first night. We realized having the windows open was so much nicer with fresh breeze coming in.
The staff was AMAZING. Sarah from reception greeted us everyday with a warm and genuine smile, and always checked up on us. The owners and managers are always around to make sure the guests are happy. Louis was always there to answer questions and always gave sound advice. There was a good rapport between management and staff which resonates in the service they provide to the guests. The bar staff, especially Zebby and Steven, always guaranteed a fun time! Take the time to get to know the staff.. they are an amazing group of people!
The food at the Thirsty Turtle was awesome. I would highly recommend all the seafood items on the menu, especially the whole fried fish! Pizza at Pizzarama was pretty good. For the complimentary breakfast, you are given 2 options to choose from (which changes daily). Breakfast was good majority of the time, and there's always fresh fruit juice. The wait staff were efficient and always pleasant, especially Shanny and Carolina.
We are not divers, but have heard nothing but great things about the dive shop. If I ever do get certified, this is the first place I'm coming back to.
While in Roatan, do consider going on a tour to Cayos Cochinos. The fishing village at Cayo Chachahuete is a fascinating little community and made this trip that much more memorable.
November is still low season, so we didn't encounter too many cruise shippers. However, the weather at this time of the year is quite unpredictable, and the water might get a little choppy. It rained on and off during our stay, but we still managed to catch a lot of sun.
Sandflies. Do bring lots of bug spray. The sandflies aren't too bad around Bananarama, but avoid walking the end of West Bay (towards West End) at dusk. On our first afternoon, we walked towards West End (without bug spray), and got attacked from the waist down. NOT FUN.
If you are looking for jacuzzis and granite countertops, you might wanna consider another place. Or book a more luxurious cabana on the Island Pearl side. But if you're looking for something more homey and want to be treated like family, Bananarama is just right for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located directly on West Bay Beach, our Roatan Eco Friendly Dive and Beach Front Resort is blessed with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean shaded under an amazing tropical canopy. We offer an island dream vacation for those who want to escape the stress of everyday life and relax Roatan Island style. We offer clean, comfortable and affordable rooms with a hammock on every porch and offer free breakfast, wifi, beach chairs, kayaks and smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz and Expedia so you can book your Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Hotel West Bay
- Bananarama Dive Hotel
- Hotel Bananarama Dive
- Bananarama Beach And Dive Resort Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras