“treehouse was epic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“treehouse was epic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Loved it!! stayed late June 2013. West Bay is a must, has the best beach and snorkeling that I have ever experienced (comparing it to florida and hawaii). My wife and I stayed in the treehouse cabana. It was awesome, but there are some need-to-know items before booking.
-it's in a mango tree!!
-42 steps up a spiral staircase
-may not feel private due to lack of curtains or an indoor shower, but it is fairly private as it would be very hard for someone to see in since you are above everyone else
-not handicap accessible
-definitely for couples, there is just 1 queen bed and it is tight quarters
-creeks and sways a little when the wind picks up (because you are in a tree!)
-they still manage to fit a private flushing toilet, a water cooler with clean filtered refreshing water, a small fridge, microwave, coffeepot, and a hammock!
-i have heard someone complain that it was near the "parking lot". it really isn't. it is maybe 150 ft to the sea, and when you are in the treehouse you look out over the caribbean! for about $60/nt after tax, it is hard to imagine being any closer to the ocean. i was very happy with the location.
-you definitely sacrifice practicality for novelty. there is no AC (but a nice fan), no hot water, no TV. but everyone who walks by the treehouse looks up in amazement and wants to know who is staying there. it was a once in a lifetime experience for my wife and i and we will always remember it!
-about 1 minute walk to the water, and maybe 5-10 minutes walking to the spot where the really good snorkeling starts
-it's in a mango tree!!

we were of course on an early schedule since you get up with the sun in this place around 5am. our first morning we went on top of the treehouse and watched the calm sea and some of the birds, and next thing we knew we heard what sounded like parrots squawking, then 2 of them flew right overhead and landed in a tree next to us!

also want to give a shout out to housekeeping. our poor lady had to come up and down those stairs to clean and change our towels everyday and she was so nice! we tried to give her a break when we could :)

in summary i would recommend it for an adventurous couple. not for 3 or more. the other places around at Fosters seemed nice but i didnt see inside any of them, i would certainly consider staying at Fosters again. thank you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed with Fosters just a week ago. My wife and I were very pleased with our cabana that was direcly on the beach. Nice bed, rooms were very clean. Favorite place was our deck with hammock overlooking the sea. We really liked the comfortable, semi rustic feeling. We had all the ammenities we wanted- AC, small kitchenette and the property grounds were natural, lots of trees. You can pick up mangos right off the ground and eat them. One just does not find these places much anymore. We prefer to stay away from the all inclusives, "americanized" resorts and the island family feel at Fosters was perfect. Foster was very nice and we often talked with him early hours of the morning when he was raking the beach with his workers. Or late at night, sitting under a mango tree with the stars and moon above. He gave us a lot of Roatan history and personal observations of him growing up on the island as a boy.The snorkeling was very good and the dive shop they have- anenoma divers- is really one on one. Liked being able to dive in very small groups. They really cater to you. The restaurant is an open wall building with roof overhead, so you have views of the beach and the sea from most sides. Very good food- simple but good. Leslie, the manager, is also very welcoming and helpful with information.One note- is that some of the posts say there is no security, however during our stay we saw two security guards at all times. We felt very safe and had no problems. We plan to schedule a trip back to Fosters next year and bring our whole family.

Room Tip: we stayed in Sky Cabana #3, but for couples we also liked the Sky Cabana #4 and the Deluxe Duplex Ca...
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had a little cabana to myself, and it was nice and basic - nothing fancy and purely functional. Had an a/c, a little fridge, sink/shower, a queen sized bed, and little porch with plastic chairs and a hammock. Room has filtered water and a coffeemaker, too - really all you need...And a cute visiting pregnant cat (I was happy to note that the dogs and little cats that roamed the area were well-treated and healthy).

Beach was about 20 meters away, restaurant the same. The nice thing about this spot is that it is really at the end of the beach, so there really aren't any random folks wandering around.

Food is good, but like many of the places I found on Roatan, they are charging "1st world" prices for things as basic as rice and beans, and there are no cheap, local options in West Bay. Just keep that in mind when you budget for the trip. Assume you'll spend at least $10-15 for dinner just about anywhere in West Bay. Additionally, in order to get anywhere, you need to take a taxi, and the hotel will need to set it up for you. Taxis seem to run between $10-20, depending on where you are going.

You can rent scuba gear and snorkeling gear right at Foster's, and the people at the dive shop are great.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms would have a better view, for sure. There are obstructions to the ocean view for man...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had stayed at Foster's before and knew that the rooms were 'rustic' and I have not minded. The rooms we had stayed in the past were clean and basic with direct beach access so I was happy. In our recent stay we had guests visiting with us and needed a larger room. We rented out one of the upper round house rooms. I am amazed they let people actually stay in this room. The bathroom was disgusting. The towel rack had fallen off the wall and was shoved between the toilet and the sink. The shower curtain was held up on an old mop handle on 2 nails and the shower itself was actually falling apart. There were huge holes in the shower and the tiles were sitting on the floor. There was writing on the wall, dimensions to something? Someone solving math problems in the shower...I'm not sure. This was less than acceptable. After braving the shower I grabbed a towel and as I wiped my face and pulled the towel back I saw it had a huge brown stain. It had been burnt! This room needs some TLC before more guests stay there I believe.
On a brighter note the restaurant is always consistent with delicious food. The coconut shrimp and lobster were amazing! We enjoyed eating there many nights. We also enjoyed the happy hour. I have enjoyed Foster's in the past much more than this visit. I hope they will do some much needed work on that room.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mountain View, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at Fosters West Bay the beginning of June 2013 for 9 days and 8 nights. The we being my wife, oldest daughter (49) and myself. All of us are fairly well traveled around the world – Bangladesh, Guatemala, Australia, Turkey, Cyprus, Europe, Canada, Mexico, etc. My wife and I are both getting on in years and have mobility problems. The staff just appeared to help us navigate the soft sand and as we walked back to our rooms after dark Daniel showed up with a flashlight to make sure we made it back. The really important thing is they did not have their hand out for tips.

Yes this is not a 5 star resort but the beach, the clear water, the reef, the restaurant, the service by all parties – resort, waiters, managers of restaurant, the owners, the fishing guide, you name it were terrific. All of them went out of their way to make our trip a memorable fun time. Much of the service just happened we did not even ask for help.

Our room was spotless and kept that way all week. Our in room water cooler did not cool on the day we arrived. The first thing the next morning we had a brand new one that really cooled. It was HOT the last half of our stay but the breeze through the restaurant was quite pleasant. At night the A/C in our room was so effective we had to turn it to low.

The food was excellent every meal. The seafood was so fresh it seemed to be flopping on the plate. The prices were quite reasonable too. The vegetables - all locally grown - were cooked perfectly. Some one who rarely eats veggies ordered them with every meal. We ended up eating all of our meals there except one when we were on a road trip around the island and ate lunch in a native village at the east end of the island.

The beach was never crowded even on cruise ship day. The beach was cleaned every morning starting at 5am. Water taxis were available at the Foster dock.

We are planning a return trip next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Always a wonderful stay. We have come back many times over the years and feel so at home and comfortable at Fosters.. The beach is the most beautiful white sand, the snorkeling and diving is amazing. We love the beachfront cabanas, normally we stay in the Sky Cabanas or the Deluxe Duplex cabanas. These are very nice and have decks that are right on the water with fabulous views of the beach and the sea. We have NEVER had any problem with the staff, the staff, especially at the restaurant, is top notch. Always great food, great service, and happy to answer questions, call a taxi for you- lots of smiles. Daniel at Fosters is also a jewel. He has a smaller boat with a cover and will take you out for a boat snorkel trip to some different snorkel spots in the area for only $20 a person and that includes the gear. I would recommend going out with him for a couple of hours. The snorkeling at West Bay is super and easily accessible from the shore, but Daniel can take you out a bit farther and to other snorkel spots around West End area. The restaurant is always good, great prices, always great specials, and the coconut shrimp and the fish tacos are to die for. Best breakfasts, too, at West Bay. Fosters is maybe not for everyone.as it is very island style and not the fancy all inclusive. What we like about Fosters is that the cabanas are nice and reasonably priced, the staff is wonderful, the best location on the beach, and the laid back, island and the feel like family atmosphere. The worst part of our trip is when we have to leave!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Very sketchy people are running this place. That includes Vicky the person running the reservation office.

Perhaps this would be a good place to stay if traveling with males. Otherwise, single or a small group of females should seek to pay more money and just get a better room at a different resort. The other resorts are safer as they are enclosed and have security guards standing right outside the complex 24/7. Security does not appear to patrol near the Foster's.

My problem with the Foster's Inn:
1. No security of any kind
2. Vicky --she tried to hussle me for money just 2 hrs after I completely paid for my room in full. She was coming up with all sorts of fees.
3. There are no locks inside the room.
4. No phones inside the room or a way to call for help.
5. To make matters worse, there is a predator named George that works for Foster's Inn Restaurant. He actually knocked on my door around midnight wayyy after the Foster's restaurant had closed and was hiding behind a tree--TWICE during my stay. As a result I couldn't sleep at night.
6. On the day that I left, I saw other customers complain directly to Mr. Fosters about their stay.

I paid about $62 a night and while I didn't expect to be pampered or have the most luxe room, I did expect to be safe and have a good night's sleep for that price. That I did not get.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Foster's West Bay? Share your experiences!