We stayed at Foster's in Roatan for the first 10 days of Feb 2013. Here are the issues we had with Foster's:
1. Airport pick up did not happen and we had to find and pay for our own way to Foster's even though they promised pick up and we had paid for it before our arrival.
2. Lady checking us in did not know what we had and had not paid for so did not want to reimburse us for our airport transfer upon our arrival. It took us 5 days of constantly asking for the refund before we finally got it from Foster himself.
3. We had a hole in our outside door to our suite that was large and so mosquitoes could get in and we asked for it to be fixed as we were being let in to our room at check in. This too took 5 days to repair. In the mean time we had to keep stuffing papers into the hole to make sure the bugs were kept out. It did get fixed but not until 5 days into our 10 day stay.
4. Light bulbs were out and needed to be replaced. They did replace some but they did not replace them all so the bathroom was a bit dark.
5. Foster charges the local vendors who sell nic nacs $20 per day no matter what the tourist season is (high or low). This means that they must sell for example a minimum of 7 t-shirts just to cover the cost of the space they set up their tiny stalls on on his stretch of the beach. They start 8 a.m. and go to around 6 p.m. each day 7 days a week. They provide their own booth and even when there are no tourists around they still have to pay regardless if they sell anything. The same is true for the dive shop that is associated with Foster's resort. There is no high or low season and the commission he charges means that no matter what they must pay. He runs the resort and has high and low season rates so we are not sure why he does not do this with the vendors or dive shop. He owns a lot of land on the island and is a big developer and is out for number one. He does not seem to have any sense of community for the local island people who must try and eek out a living selling "souveniers" on the beach. We have found that if you stay with people who are community minded that all people benefit in the end and the place is a nicer one to stay as a whole. So if you are thinking of staying at Foster's and do not mind that he is taking advantage of other people then this might be the place for you to stay.
6. We were also very concerned that whenever Foster met us he was asking us not to make any comments that were negative regarding his resort. He was very worried that we would write something that did not reflect 100% positive in his favor. We have never been to a place before where that was ever a concern. If there are things that need improving then they should be noted. If there are positive things that too should be noted. The place was clean, quiet, morning and lunch serving staff at the restaurant were wonderful, food was very good, the beach and dive shop were very convenient and we did enjoy our stay overall at Foster's. We just wanted people to know that all was not perfect but when are things ever perfect. We wanted people to know that Foster's is getting a bit run down and that it does require some TLC which if it does not happen soon will mean that if you stay at Foster's you will be staying in a fairly run down place when you could stay at others that are not for the same price or less.
Over all Foster's was fine, convenient but Foster's concern for only positive reviews makes us think that he knows that things are not running the way they should be.
7. Take lots and lots of bug spray as the sand flies are terrible!!!! We knew about this before we went and were glad we had brought lots of spray with us but by the end of a week we had to buy more. If you do not constantly reapply they will eat you alive! They love the salt so going into the water to enjoy it means that when you come out you better run for the shower and/or spray yourself with the bug spay so you do not end up looking like you have a bad case of the measles which we saw a fair number of people had.
8. Would we go back? Not to Foster's because of his business practices with the locals and the fact that we were not picked up as promised and had to keep asking for our refund. The resort is o.k. but we did find other places that were equally as nice and did have more ethical business practices and worked more to help all people in the community.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Foster's West Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Foster`s West Bay Hotel West Bay
- Fosters Hotel West Bay
- Fosters Resort West Bay
- Foster's West Bay Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras