“Fosters are GOOD people!” 4 of 5 stars

Foster's West Bay
Carretera Pavimentada Ppal , West Bay, West Bay, Honduras   |
Ranked #10 of 11 hotels in West Bay
Kentucky
“Fosters are GOOD people!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed all last week (Jan 4 - 12, 2013). Third trip to Roatán and second time to stay at Fosters.

If you are thinking a resort type accommodation by U.S. standards get that out of your head. By Honduran standards, it's quite nice. It's not the Waldorf Astoria, but by golly, it's a great location owned by local folks. If you have a problem with something, they do what they can to make it right.

I would like to offer one of the sons an apology. He put together a day trip to Cayos Cochinos, and we backed out. This cost him a little money. I am truly sorry for backing out like I did. He handled it like a true gentleman.

One of the other sons took us on an island tour. All the way to Punta Gorda. Thanks for a fun fun day! He even took us to a competitors resturant at the end of the day in West End. It was an honor to buy his supper. He even asked me if I would say grace at the dinner table. Good Christian man!

The fare at the cabana outdoor resturant is decent. They are very accommodating. They responded to any need that my wife, mother, daughter, or father had.

We ate at a nearby competitor resturant (Bite On The Beach). In conversation the owner asked where we were staying. I said Fosters. They responded that although they are competitors in the resturant business, they had nothing but respect for the family. She commented how they are one of the last local property owners who never sold out, but stayed to operate a successful business. Very nice to hear.

One of the workers for Fosters did extra nice things for my folks and me that when we went to a nice steak dinner in West End we just had to take him with us. He was so pleasant to have around. Good family man!

My advice.... Stay at Fosters. Sweet family. Hardworking family. But get the idea of American style resort out of your head. Be flexible. Have a chit chat with Mr. Foster and his boys. Good family.

Will definitely stay again next year.

I left out names of people as not to taint any person as positive or negative. Go judge for yourself!

Room Tip: Don't be a wimp. Don't complain about stuff that ain't worth complaining about. Relax...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed at Foster's and loved the location. the bungalows are comfortable but rustic. there was rarely any hot water available. the mosquitos are definitely an issue, as three of us got devoured! the owners are friendly and the restaurant is great. I think it's a little overpriced for what you get but I would probably stay here again due to it's great location!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

West Bay beach access is dominated by culture-less, all-inclusive resorts with blaring American country music and mediocre fried American fare. To get any kind of tranquility, privacy and semblance of Roatan culture, one must either sacrifice beach access or stay at Fosters.
Somehow this small operation has staked out a prime beach-side location without selling its souls to all-inclusive investors.
I stayed 3 nights in November and while my late-night, high-pressure, hard-sell introduction to the resort was initially off-putting, once the sun rose the following day on an unobstructed second-story ocean view, it was clear I had stumbled into the best location (and reasonable value) on the entire beach.
The decor is haphazard and cleanliness, while high by Honduran standards, is merely passable by resort standards. Service is limited, but if you want peace, quiet and privacy, this is a plus. Equipment rental, restaurants and organized activities are a short stroll down the beach--you can get all of the resort amenities you want within walking distance, but do not have to have them forced down your throat.
I would certainly consider staying here again, particularly after seeing the other West Bay (and West End, for that matter) options.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We just finished our travel in Roatan (November of 2012). The location on the beach is incredible with snorkeling for the whole family a short swim out. Being in paradise was enough for us, but Mr Foster made our stay even better with his hospitality. He made sure every detail was taken care of from cooking utensils to laundry to even helping me get some business done in town. After traveling a month in Honduras including a different hotel on Roatan, this was a wonderful end to an unforgettable trip.

Room Tip: The staff will let you look at all available rooms and let you choose your favorite.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Salvador, El Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

2 girlfriends and I enjoyed a beautiful stay at Foster's over Thanksgiving!! Our ride arrived at the airport right when we did, and our room was ready just as we arrived. We were greeted with an Island Punch (think fruity rum :) ) on the house. We went to our room and noticed a bad odor in the bathroom, and we were PROMPTLY relocated to an upgraded room with no such problems. Daniel took us on a WONDERFUL snorkeling tour for a good price, Jerry Lee took us on a great tour of the Iguana Farm, and we enjoyed the delicious ceviche at Foster's. Vikki helped us with everything and provided a friendly face during our whole stay. Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Salvador, El Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have been traveling to Roatan for business and found in Fosters the perfect place to stay! I was referred by my brother who vacationed there in August and was told that it couldn't get any better so I decided to give it a try... I was greeted by Leslie my first time and she kindly introduced me to Mr. Foster, who immediately asked me if everything was all right ! Since I was there by myself I told him that all I needed was Air Conditioning, nice clean bed, cable TV and hot water, so he walked me to my cabana and smiled and said, welcome! I arrived late to Fosters so I did not had a chance to check the surrounding areas, to my surprise early next day I felt that I was waking up in paradise, location couldn't get any better for my temporary caribbean beach front office! blocks away from my work, everyday that week I walked barefoot to the project picking up shells and coral for my kids and on my return stopped by the restaurant/bar and enjoyed a few drinks with a sun setting sky view!
Second time around (October), I was picked up by Foster and his son Gerri Lee at the airport, felt like coming back home! They placed me in a much nicer room and treated me like family! This time I was there for a shorter time and decided not to complicate myself with food so I checked out the menu and the rest is history .... They had me at "Fish burger" ! and then again at "Coco Shrimp".
Everyone at Fosters is friendly and willing to help you in any way they can, I had to go meet a client by French Harbour and so I asked Vicky to arrange me transportation and in minutes, the very own Gerri Lee was there ready to take me to my meeting, so if in need to venture safely outside the property just ask Vicky and she will hook you up!
As I am writing this review ... I am booking my third stay next week and I looking forward to live again the Fosters experience and see what new great find is waiting for me!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

It really does not get any better than Foster's Resort. From the first moment we arrived and were greeted by Foster with a complimentary drink to get us relaxed after a day of travel. All the staff were friendly, helpful, and always smiling. A special thank you to Daniel, who took us snorkelling and showed us a whole new world under the sea. The facilities were clean and comfortable. The view of the beach and sea from our private deck was amazing. If you are looking for a little room in a big hotel building, this is not for you ... but if you are looking for a big private homelike facility, where you walk out your own front door and are immediately on the beach and 10 feet from the sea, then Foster's is the place for you. We will be back often!
Michael and Daniela, Toronto Canada October 2012

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Foster's West Bay? Share your experiences!