“Foster's - It really doesn't get any better than this” 5 of 5 stars

Foster's West Bay
Carretera Pavimentada Ppal , West Bay, West Bay, Honduras   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Foster's - It really doesn't get any better than this”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

It really does not get any better than Foster's Resort. From the first moment we arrived and were greeted by Foster with a complimentary drink to get us relaxed after a day of travel. All the staff were friendly, helpful, and always smiling. A special thank you to Daniel, who took us snorkelling and showed us a whole new world under the sea. The facilities were clean and comfortable. The view of the beach and sea from our private deck was amazing. If you are looking for a little room in a big hotel building, this is not for you ... but if you are looking for a big private homelike facility, where you walk out your own front door and are immediately on the beach and 10 feet from the sea, then Foster's is the place for you. We will be back often!
Michael and Daniela, Toronto Canada October 2012

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I spent two weeks at Fosters on the beach and we had such a wonderful time. We stayed in the Sky Cabana and it was right on the beach. Our cabana was nice, had a king bed, which I like as I am rather tall. No problems with any of the maid service and all the sheets seemed newer and our maid, Gladys, changed them every other day. She and her daughter were precious. The blue caribbean sea is the most brilliant blue and the sand was so white. What a paradise! And also nice is the family friendly feel you get as soon as you come. Foster, the owner, asked us daily if all was fine, and even brought us some brand new pillows as I had just asked him for two more as my wife sleeps with extra pillows because of her back. Never expected them to go out and buy two new pillows! The place is casual and lots of property around so you dont feel like you are crammed in with everyone else. The restaurant was excellent. We ate there most of our stay. Great staff, very friendly. The coconut shrimp and the key lime pie were amazing. We rented a car one day and drove around the island, which was interesting, lots of things and places to see and really not that hard to do as there are only a few main roads, and we really had a great time at the South Shore Canopy zipline which is just up the road. But mostly we just enjoyed every day snorkeling right at West Bay. You can walk up the beach and find some even larger reef areas. So a very relaxing trip. Want to thank everyone at Fosters for making our stay so enjoyable and making us feel right at home! We will be back.

Room Tip: We liked our Sky Cabana very much!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Napa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a budget resort that is family owned and operated. Mr Foster will most likely be in the van to pick you up from the airport with his son Gary Lee. Vicki will be there to welcome you to the resort although it is an odd little office. We were surprised when asked to settle up the remaining balance on the room with cash at check in. Required a trip to the ATM. Uneasy start to say the least.
We had booked Cabana #1 and Mr. Foster said he would be upgrading us to lower duplex #2 but the next day. We were helped to our room and the key promptly broke off in the door. Room was in bad condition, bathroom was not very nice, bedspread was stained, closet was down right scary. I thought oh crap what have we gotten ourselves into? Vicki reassured us that our bags would be safe if we wanted to go out. Again not the best start! Mr. Foster's son Eric did come fix it but much later. Our first night was terrible the bed was so hard and the pillows were so dirty I had to use my airplane pillow.
We were headed to the office to figure something out when Mr. Foster asked us how we slept. I was honest and told him bad, very bad. He promptly appalogized and we started the moved to lower duplex #2. It was larger, cleaner, and best of all the bed was soft. From there on out we didn't have any problem that the Foster family couldn't fix. They were small little problems in comparison to that terrible Cabana #1.
Here are the things you must be able to tolerate if staying at Foster's. Thin sheets, stained towels, bugs (bees, coach roaches, ants) and no back up power source.
What makes it a great place to stay, The Foster Family which you will feel a part of when you leave.
Restaurant staff is great. Anthony, Roger and Eric will make sure the service is topnotch. One night my husband arranged with them to serve our dinner on top the dive shop. It has a kinda tree fort area. Roger would climb up and down the ladder bringing us our drinks, appetizers, and main course. It was the most romantic dinner of my life. Food is very good!!! Don't miss Thursday Lobster Dinner. $12.99 for two small tails and two sides, delicious!! All drink from the bar are safe. Ice is from purified water so don't hesitate to order a drink with an umbrella in it.

Daniel, Mr. Foster's kinda nephew will take care of all your water tour needs. No need to wait for a water taxi when he's around. He has a small boat and he will take you to Blue Chanel for $20pp. He stays with you and shows you interesting fish. Take your own food and water because he doesn't provide any. He will also smile if you talk him up a little, he's pretty shy but very nice.
Gary Lee will take you in his van on land tours. Also is there really for any ground transportation needs. We used him almost daily for one thing or other. 1 taxi was all we ever took. He know's everything about the island since he grew up there. We had mentioned one day during our tour that we had left our room door open and that the mosquito's had invaded our room. We all forgot to get some spray and that night after dinner and everyone had gone home we had a knock on our door. It was Gary Lee, he had remembered about the spray after he had returned home in Flower's Bay. Went out bought the spray and delivered it to our room. That is an amazing thing to have done. He could have called Daniel who lives near by but he wanted to make sure he had followed through on our request.
The vendor's at West Bay are relentless. My husband and I joked that we never walked on the beach alone we always had someone trying to sell us something. If they bother you at Foster's just let Daniel or Mr. Foster know and they will put a security guard out. The T-shirt vendor next to the kitchen is very nice and I understand that she really needs the money. She's and her son are very honest I never felt bothered by them. However the massage and hair braid ladies will leave you feeling uneasy. It's our understand that they will pick your pocket if you let them get too close or do it while doing your massage.
Do get some breakfast from LUIS the vendor who is very dark skinned and has a blue cooler lined with foil. His beef empenadas made by his mother every morning are delicious. The money goes to help support his family of 13.
Don't drink any of the water including the 5 gallon water cooler in your room. We got sick from it. Don't stay here if you are not flexible, well traveled in 3rd world countries, don't mind thin sheets, stained towels and thin curtains. Otherwise give it a try the family will make it a trip of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Don't book cabana #1
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I cannot say much about staying here but what, I saw from the 3 hours spent here has peeked my interest to return for a stay..... The beach here has bright white sand and very nice clear water, with a restaurant on the property. The food her was delish, I ordered the grilled red snapper with rice and beans. Bar has a too die for rum punch. Anther ad from zip lining

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We went to Foster's as a day trip after Ziplining w/ South Shore. It was my favorite day of my entire trip. They make great drinks & food. You can sit in swing chairs at a table, lounge on a beautiful clean beach or go swimming in crystal blue/green waters. I loved this place! And to top it off on our way out we met Foster himself & he was so friendly, gracious, & conversational. I can't wait to go back and actually spend more time here! They also have an awesome tree house that I want to check out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Foster's West Bay was an amazing find in Roatan. I valued the small quiet, peaceful, resort on the less cluttered section of the the prettiest beach on the island. Everything I needed to enjoy my stay was within a few steps. A full Restraunt, water taxi, snorkeling gear and the prettiest sunset EVER just a few steps from my room. Mr. Foster was born and raised on the island and built his resort so the man knew the history of the island and was always available to make sure I was having a great time. The staff took great care of me. A great change of pace from the big corporation hotels being operated further down the beach. I plan to stay there on all of my future trips as the price was right, the location was right and they took great care of me.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Myself and ten friends stayed at Fosters West Bay the first week of March of this year (2012). Two of us stayed for ten days, while the others stayed for shorter periods of time. I loved Roatan and especially Foster's West Bay Hotel. If you want to just relax, recharge your batteries, and forget the world at reasonable prices, this is the place for you. If you want a five star hotel with all the ameneties (and prices) stay somewhere else. If fact don't go to Roatan. Leave the place for those of us who enjoy our islands unspoiled. Mr. Foster, the owner, greeted us with open arms on our arrival and made our stay at his hotel a memorable one. We had a room on stilts which over looked the entire length of West Bay beach. I highly recommend this hotel for total relaxation and a great affordable vacation.

Room Tip: Try for a room with a good view of the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Foster's West Bay? Share your experiences!