“Great location, with a little polish could best VERY nice.” 4 of 5 stars

Foster's West Bay
Carretera Pavimentada Ppal , West Bay, West Bay, Honduras   |
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Olympia, Washington
“Great location, with a little polish could best VERY nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Hubby & I loved the location!! Let me list some pros & cons.
Pro: Location, quiet & private when cruise ships are not in port. Resort is nice, bar/restaurant is good, staff very nice. View amazing even from the bed. Easy walking to all bars/rest. Would go back with better expectations.
Cons: We booked upper roundhouse to get a kitchenette & it was sad, lacking most basic supplies (had to buy dish soap,salt/pepper & more).
Bathroom sink too tall & lighting sucked!!

Room Tip: Cabana 3 & 4 have best views.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Galveston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

I go to Foster's every year for 3 weeks at a time.......some stay 2 months!!

It isn't beachfront....it is ON the beach. My verandah was only 40 feet from the sea and I could sit there in the morning sipping coffee and watch the fish swimming. The cabanas are the way to go. The sand is white and the water isn't gin clear..it is crystal clear. 3 restaurants within 100 yards. Don't miss Thursday lobster night at Foster's. Best beach exposure of all of West Bay Beach.

Room Tip: Get a cabana. They cost more but they are the best
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
watertown, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 10 day stay at Fosters in West Bay. Prior to booking, we read all of the reviews and had decided that the positive out weighed the negative and I am so glad we did! We were not expecting a five star marble resort, so little things like broken tile did not bother us one bit. Fosters is by far the best location on the beach! We stayed in sky cabana #4 and if I return, that is where I would book again. The view is the best on the property. Having coffee in the morning and rum punch in the afternoon on the balcony with that amazing view was such a treat. I am having serious withdrawls!
Foster is a very nice man who cares for his property. Every morning he is raking the beach, along with his son and tending to his gardens. His two older sons provided us with airport transportation and they were nice as well. When we arrived, his son was a little late, but one of the other cab drivers called him and he was there shortly. He also stopped at Plaza Del Mar so we could pick up some cases of beer.
The accomodations were definately rustic. The pillows were new, and the sheets are clean, but thin. As for the mattress, well, lets just say that I would not reccommend it if you have a bad back. It is the old spring type and often left me sore. Nothing that a walk on the beach couldn't fix! The shower head is a little rusty and doesn't spray the best and we never tried the jaccuzi tub, but didn't care if it worked or not.
Yes, there are bats! They sleep durring the day under the eve. Thank God that they are there! One bat can eat up to 1,000 mosquitos and bugs per night! From the looks of my riddled arms and legs, they need more bats! As for roaches, bed bugs, and other creepy crawlys, we had a few ants, but I NEVER saw any indication of them and believe me, I looked!
Housekeeping, well, it is at a minimal. She would make the bed, change out towels, sweep, and occasionally wash our cups. If you want coffee and sugar, just ask her. Do not expect towel swans and rose petals, not gonna happen, but, If you are spending all of your time white glove inspecting your room, you are missing out on an amazing beach and beautiful reefs!!!
At the resturant, the staff was friendly, the food is good, not really great, but good. Although, the conch ceveche is the best in West Bay! Prices are average. While we were there, I do believe they raised the prices so what is online is not up to date. Leslie and her husband Marty are nice, never rude. Not a wow kind of place, just good. I did have several questionable bills that always seem to be a few bucks off. They were fixed, when I asked. The only time theyt seem to be correct from the start was when Leslie, or the new guy she hired calculated them....hmmmmmm? We found a WOW kind of place two doors down at Beachers. I have to say, IT IS AWESOME!!!! Just opened the week before we arrived. Their sampler platter, conch fritters, and whole yellow tailed snapper, YUMMY! Best beer prices on the beach, even their prices on a banana soda are the best. Added to the great food and open air dining is the staff. The owners, Mr. George, Emille, and Phil of "cool beans" fame are top notch guys! All of the guys there made us feel so welcome! I really miss them!
I know this is a review of Fosters, but I have to add all of the other highlights. Sea Bass with blue cheese and tomatos at Bite on the Beach, lobster burritos at los Rocas, lobster beladas at Celestes, mc sammys and coffee made by the lovely Annita at cool beans......are all a "don't miss" when visiting!
All in all, Fosters was exactly what we expected. We paid about $1,100 for 10 nights and I do not feel cheatedat all! It is all about the location. Roatan is a beautiful island filled with great people. We made so many friends, Wisconsin, Boston, Canada, Italy, and Roatan! (if you go, please give Esther a hug for me! She is 6 and her mom has a stand in front of Fosters kitchen. She is a doll!) It was an amazing vacation and I can not wait to return!!!!!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

First thing to say - BEWARE !!! Do not jump of the dock infront of fosters without first checking where the METAL POLE UNDERWATER is! My boyfriend was jumping off the dock, as do many people including young children, and hit his leg on the pole. His leg was cut so deep the skin and fat layers came off.. Luckily I am a med student. The pole is cemented under water and is standing uright... God knows what would happen if anyone dives from there and hits it head first!!
Anyways, fosters has done nothing about it after we reported!

Second thing- we show up at fosters on the first day after booking the treehouse weeks before and paying a 50 percent deposit... Foster surprised us by saying it was someones birthday and they were giving the treehouse to this person for the night. We stayed in a horrible room outside the sludge pool which is infested with mosquitoes
Foster offered us a meal to calm us done... Needless to say, We weren't too pleased with the service or the lack of care on his part since it was also my boyfriends birthday! We found him very arguable and unprofessional.
We stayed at posada arco iris after that.. Cheaper!! Much better!! Much friendlier!

• Stayed March 2011
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

We just returned from an 8 day vacation at Foster's and are already talking about returning next year. You won't meet a nicer family than Mr. Foster and his kids. We stayed in a single cabana which was right on the beach by the dive shop and it was quite peaceful and relaxing. Being at the end of the beach, when the cruise ships came in it was less crowded than at the places further up. The restaurant/bar was excellent offering a variety of drink and food specials. Leslie and Marty were wonderful and made us feel right at home. The food was very good and everything that we ordered we enjoyed from breakfast to the lobster dinner, the chicken barbecue and especially the coconut fried shrimp. Our servers (Kenneth, Clifford, Harvey and Allan) were always on top of things, taking care of us from the time we sat down until we got up to leave. Oh, and did I mention the sunsets - one of the best views on the beach and an opportunity to take some memorable photos.

grand junction colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

stayed for three weeks this time. had been here before for two weeks. will be back for three more weeks next year . that says it! be flexible , open for adventure and grateful for the best beach in the carribean. fosters is just right..see ya next year

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed for 2 weeks at Fosters in West Bay in Feb. We had sky cabana #3. The view from the deck was amazing!!! The cabin was comfortable and clean. The resort was the best we have stayed in the 4 trips to various Caribbean countries. The restaurant was very nice with good food and excellent service! The manager, Leslie, and the three waiters, Allen, Clifford and Ken all deserve special mention for their services.
The section of beach here is the best in West Bay and is not crowded. The cabins and restaurant are truly right on the beach! Don't miss the Thursday night Lobster dinner special and get there early!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Foster's West Bay? Share your experiences!