“cruise diving” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Morgan, Utah
“cruise diving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

my dive group visited las rocas for the day from a cruise ship. it could not have been better. they knew when to pick us up. they made it very easy. the resort people and dive professionals were great. we requested easy dives for new divers, and the dives were just right. we got back to the ship in plenty of time. i would use them again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Las Rocas Resort and Dive Center December 1st. thru 9th. 2012.
The resort driver, Fidel was waiting for us at the airport. He assisted with our bags and was informative on our way to the resort. At the resort Fidel showed us to the reception desk, where the young lady was very pleasant and made check in simple and easy. She then showed us to our room, were once again Fidel assisted and helped open and inspect the room. We found the room to be very clean with an ac unit, ceiling fan and a stocked (reasonably priced) mini bar. The bed, though a little on the hard side, was comfortable. The water in the shower was lacking pressure, but adequate and the temperature was good and constant. We loved the tropical bungalow feel of the decor and construction with the hammock on the covered veranda. Our room was on the second floor with a romantic view of the ocean. Our room had no phone or TV, we had no need for them! We did purchase internet service, but it was spotty with just occasional posting of pictures and updates.
Exploring the area we found the resort is on the quiet end of West Bay Beach and about an hours walk along the beach from West End. Water taxis will take you to West End for $3.
We are not divers but guests that we spoke with were satisfied with the dive services offered.
Snorkeling is excellent along West Bay Beach!
After sampling food and drinks in West End and along West Bay Beach, we found that the resort's restaurant and bar were very competitive. The bar was well stocked and accommodating and the restaurant menu was varied with delicious offerings. Our included breakfasts were also very good and varied each morning.
The resort grounds are well kept and tropical. House keeping was thoughtful and first rate.
Reception helped us to get a rental car delivered to the resort one day and on another, helped to arrange an island tour.
Management has assembled an excellent team.
Las Rocas Resort and Dive Center should be considered for your vacation to Roatan!

Thank You... to all the staff and we look forward to returning.
Special thanks to Fidel, Alex, Randy, Winston and Jose!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dauin, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The resort is in West Bay, which is quieter than West End. I found the lodging to be comfortable but a bit run down. I enjoyed the hammock and the porch area.

The hotel restaurant was fine- breakfast was included with my room but quality was hit and miss. The food varies daily and is a fixed plate. Would have been nice to have a decent protein item every day although there was an egg on the plate most days. I found the dinner items to be a touch pricey and not so great. The lunch items were a better value and could be had at dinner as well. Avoid the calamari and hamburger- tastes like pre-packaged frozen. The fish and chicken burritos were always good.

The staff overall were very friendly and helpful although there were a couple of exceptions with some arrogance and apathy. Excellent staff includes: Laura (see below), Winston the bartender, Christina who seemed to cover ever job from driving guests to working the bar after her shift, and special thanks to Guillermo for patiently helping me practice my Spanish.

The dive operation was always late, once over 45 minutes. Laura was a great dive guide and worked very hard hauling tanks and gear without much help from other staff. On three occasions, the dive boat could not be started after the dive. The captain must have lost skin from his fingers trying to jump the starter directly. On one of these strandings, I took my camera and swam to shore to walk back. The boat just needed a battery which was not replaced during my stay.

The diving itself was alright- calm and easy but without much excitement. This is a good place for students and inexperienced divers. The water is warm, clear, and calm. The reef is in decent health.

Room Tip: Standard bungalow is likely preferable to the more expensive stand-alone bungalows.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed for a few nights at Las Rocas. The cabanas were nice, with a nice, high ceilings. The bathroom was very small, and often there was no hot water. Staff were friendly. The breakfast was great, it changed daily, but they were willing to make me eggs when only pancakes were available. The Hondurian breakfast was our favourite! Refried beans, sourcream, plantains, and eggs too! It's not located directly on the beach, but it's a quick 2 minute walk along a bridge to the beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

If your idea of relaxing on a remote island is lounging on a hammock (most rooms come with it) overlooking the sea, this is the place to stay on West Bay.

Las Rocas offers the best of both worlds- tranquility tucked away from the crowded strip of beach that are dotted with palapa bars; and yet all within walking distance (on gorgeous, powdery sand) to enjoy what West Bay Beach has to offer.

Las Rocas accommodations left my first visit to Roatan with a lasting impression- it was a girls' trip for my birthday. The staff collectively were very hospitable from the time I was picked up from the airport to the housekeeping staff, the office/front desk girls were just amazing...so were the bar/restaurant staff. The location combined with their "genuine island hospitality" makes Las Rocas the best home base on West Bay. I wasn't looking for a "big name" hotel or a 5-star all-inclusive resort to stay in...(I live in a resort community in South Beach, Miami) I wanted to stay in a rustic, serene property while on vacation; Las Rocas was the perfect setting for such a getaway. The bungalow on the water's edge where we stayed was so quaint and kept cleaned daily as well as re-stocked with water, juice and sodas.

With that being said, the best part about Las Rocas is the Dive Center- I can't say enough great things about their staff...My night dive with them was the most surreal experience I have done since I started diving in 1995 (only beaten by a manta ray night dive off of Kailua Kona). Calvin (sp?), the dive master is a very knowledgeable young man who has a true passion for SCUBA diving and the island's ecological preservation- he was most impressive. I don't think I will want to dive with anyone else besides him and his team in my future dive trips to Roatan even if I were staying at another property. I loved the personalized care and service that this team gave me during my dives - I also prefer smaller groups than the highly commercialized, big operations. I cannot wait to return for Spring Break 2013!

• Stayed November 2012
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband, 2 year old son and I stayed for the week of Thanksgiving. We prefer intimate, simple settings with the focus being on the natural beauty of the area, versus over the top hotels. We got a great deal with breakfast and round trip transportation to airport included. We upgraded to the standalone bungalows that have recently had some TLC.
We were thrilled with Las Rocas. From my early e-mail exchanges with Pasquele to the ride back to the airport, we were incredibly impressed with the staff! The front office (Kim and staff) went out of their way to accomedate any and all requests, Alex, Dragon and Winston made every meal a special occassion and they had a homemade birthday cake for my husband! Wonderful food in a spectacular small setting.
The accomedations were simple, peaceful and clean. I wasn't sure why the salt water wading pool never got filled up but with a short walk to the beach- no big deal. Everyone on the island that we met were genuinely kind and helpful. We went during a pretty rainy week and the sand fleas and mosquitos were brutal- no amount of Deet helped our cause- a lady later suggested baby oil as it creates enough of a skin barrier- have yet to try that.
The beach got busy on the days that cruise ships are in but we looked on a website in advance that alerted us as to what days they would be in port so we could stay away.
We did go to Gambolina Park- a short walk up the beach- on a rainy day in the morning and had the place to ourselves. I had been originally concerned about the treatment of the monkeys and the McCaws but as a sensitive animal lover, I was very impressed-
We would certainly go back again- tucked away from everything but you can walk to all that you need. Thank you Las Rocas- we miss you already!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Punta Gorda, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our overall stay at Las Rocas was awesome. The staff including Alex, Randy, Kim, Chrissy, Rosa, Carolina, Ava, dive master Kelvin were very friendly and informative. At the restaurant Randy and I sang together and Audrey played dominos with Rosa and Carolina. The staff even had a birthday cake for Audrey. The diving is incredible bring a camera, do not miss the night dive, very easy and the sights are worth every penny. Kelvin, dive master stresses safety and does a great job on the individual dives. His assistant Laura is also a very caring dive master. Nitrox is difficult to obtain, but the staff was able to obtain 2 bottles for the wreck dive. There is an adjoining beach and plenty of snorkling available. Live entertainment and karaoke is available just a 10 minute walk away on the beach. Food is excellent at Las Rocas and reasonably priced. Wifi is available but signal was weak but OK where our room was located. I stayed 2 weeks and rented a car at the airport, I'd recommend Thrifty Car Rental, more professional then the rest. I fished but in the far eastern section of the Island. The western section was stirred up due to rain and wind. Overall I highly recommend a stay at Las Rocas, as far as the bugs, as I told the staff, our bugs in Florida could eat theirs, bug spray also available there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!