“A rustic place in a great location for a great price” 4 of 5 stars

Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   West Bay Beach | Roatan, West Bay 33132, Honduras   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
New York City, New York
“A rustic place in a great location for a great price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I had a wonderful stay at Las Rocas. The room was clean. The staff was excellent and very helpful. There are few things I would like to let the readers know. This is a rustic place. I had no hot water during my stay. There are no TV s in the rooms. The power went out during a storm and the cabin did leak during the storm. This did not bother me, I expected it and I have traveled in developing countries. The price and location made it worth while. The restaurant at the hotel was not very good and would recommend eating at other places. There was a nice place next door, and there was some great options in the west end. The dive shop was friendly and inexpensive, but I felt they didn't put the effort to take you to the best dive sites. I would recommend using one of the other shops on the beach. The hotel is not on the main stretch of beach but it is only yards away and an easy walk. Bring bug spray the mosquitos and sand flies are bad. Roatan is beautiful and the people are super nice.I recommend going there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

We stayed recently and found this to be an excellent choice for Roatan. The hotel rooms are spacious and clean, with your own balcony and hammock. Lush gardens surround you to provide some privacy from the other rooms too.

The location is excellent too if you want to stay in West Bay. The other hotels are all lined on the beach, but Las Rocas is tucked up on the rocky outcrop which means its a bit quieter but still an easy walk to the beach and restaurants. You can hail a water taxi from the dock right out the front for an easy trip into West End.

The service is excellent and the rooms were spotlessly clean. I thought the extra touch of providing mosquito coils etc was nice too. Roatan Island is notorious for mosquitos and Las Rocas make sure you are well-prepared.

The dive shop staff and captain are great too!

Overall great service

Room Tip: Might be worth asking for a top-floor room as you will have glimpses of the ocean and sunset
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Nice cabbins at reasonably good price, very close to the beach, with a small dive shop and very close to a larger one, quiet, food is reasonable although a bit pricy, next to a great restaurante (Beach Bite). Overall a very pleasent three night stay

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

There are some really good things about this resort and, well, some not so good things. Let me begin by saying this, the staff at this resort are terrific. The only exception to this would be the office staff.

The overall appearance of the resort is nice. The entire resort has really nice gardens, which are well kept.

Now to the important things - we had a breakfast included in our resort package. It was okay. There was always a bowl of mixed fruit in the morning, along with muffins, cookies, cakes, cinnamon buns, etc. Along with that, we had there was either an omlett, pancakes and bacon, french toast or something like that. There was only one morning that I simply did not care for the breakfast that was served. It was very basic, but good. We did have a sandwich a couple of times at lunch, and that was fine, too. We did not eat dinner at the resort in the time that we were there.

The absolutley worst thing about this resort is that there was no water pressure (and I mean none!) in our shower. I literally had to cup my hands together under the shower to collect enough water to wash my face. Needless to say, an entire shower was nearly impossible. I could not rinse all of the soap out of my hair. However, there was an outdoor shower outside that I could have used, I suppose, but I do not like cold showers at all. That would have been the only solution. At no time in our visit did the water pressure get any better.

The second thing is this, and I hesitate to even discuss it, but it needs to be known. The bed in our room was not all that comfortable. In fact, for someone who likes a soft or medium soft bed, you're not going to like the beds. Although the design of the bed is nice and has an appealing look in a bungalow setting, well, I will tell you this, if you even so much as roll over in this bed, everyone in all the rooms around you and near your room will hear it. The walls are paper thin and the beds are absolutely not made for, well, you figure it out.

We knew when we went that this is resort is on the water, but it is NOT on the beach. There are decks that are built over the volcanic rocks so you can sit or be on the decks at the waters edge, but there is not a beach here. However, you can walk down the board walk a short way to the beach.

The only other thing I would add to this is that we did scuba dive with the dive shop on the resort. Divemasters Bea and Angela were terrific. They are safe diver, friendly, engaging, and overall just really nice ladies. We were not so thrilled with the dive sites that we visited. The dive sites themselves were lovely. We had great diving. I don't think we ever went more than about 1.5 miles from the resort to dive. We knew that there were many other nicer dive sites that we did not get to dive. Of course, the locations of the dives had nothing to do with the divemasters. I belive it is at the resort owner's discretion how far the dive boat can go out for dives. It only makes sense that if the boats don't go out very far, the owners make more money. It would have been really nice if we could have gone just a little further distance to dive a variety of dives.

So, if I had to sum this up, I would say this - I really would not stay at this resort again. The whole not having water to shower was pretty much the kicker for me. I can put up with a not so comfortable bed or food that is just good, but I need to have a fairly good working shower. If you're okay with not showering, the staff at this resort will make up for it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
lasrocasroatan, Owner at Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear guest, I am really sorry to hear that your experience at Las Rocas did not meet your expectations. The problems you pointed out were real, but they could have been easily solved if they were noted during and not at the end of your stay. Yes, we had a problem of water pressure but we were not aware that it was affecting yours and another bungalow.
As for the firmness of our mattress, it's really a personal choice. And while we can easily make a bed softer with an extra layer of comforter, if would be quite difficult to accommodate a request for a firmer bed, if ours were too soft.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience we have caused during your stay. As the managing owner of the resort I can assure you that we try our best to better serve our guests.
My best regards,
Pasquale Paonessa
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I love Central America and don't expect to have Five star hotels. With that in mind, I Las Rocas did not impress me. The rooms could have been a lot cleaner, there was never any hot water, the water pressure in the shower was so low it was difficult to shower, we had a serious roach infestation (Have you ever seen Honduran roaches? Yikes), also the bed was like sleeping on the floor.
I will say though, the location is nice and the staff was ok.
Overall, I would say -Go elsewhere in West Bay. You can find something a ton better for only a few dollars more.

Room Tip: Ask to try the beds before you settle in!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, California USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Just the sort of place I was hoping for. The setting is quiet, yet just steps away from the hustle and bustle of West Bay Beach. My standard bungalow room was plenty large and clean. Loved the fresh flowers and towel sculpture every day. The bed felt rather firm, but I slept very well at night.

The staff at both the resort and Dive Center were friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant/bar was delicious, I especially liked the baleadas and any thing else made with those great hand made tortillas. I look forward to making a return visit.

Bonus; one night the power to West Bay went out. Most of the West Bay resorts were dark, but Las Rocas had a back up generator.

Things to watch out for; mosquitoes, no-seeums and sand flies. Everywhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Just got back and want to go again.May not be 5 star accomodation but certainly is 5 star service.(more than we expected)
The rooms are rustic but maintained well.(Showers do need more water pressure)
DIVE center with Bea and Angela is small but professional.They certainly make scuba fun.The reef is great.
My wife and daughter did South Shore Zipline which they both enjoyed.
To Alex and Winston(breakfast) and Richard(bar)..thanks for taking care of us.
Best value for money.Close enough to the beach to to enjoy it during the day but far enough to avoid the crowds and noise at night.
Thanks again and we will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center? Share your experiences!