“Close to the beach!” 4 of 5 stars

West Bay Beach, West Bay, Honduras   |
Ranked #9 of 11 hotels in West Bay
“Close to the beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here from February 9 through Feb 16. The weather was a nice breezy 70-80 degrees. It was humid, but that was only noticeable when we zip lined or when my husband did an early morning run. The hotel room was nice and spacious. There was a nice little sitting area on the back balcony. The only think I'd want different would be a small sitting area in the room. There was only one chair, so if you were relaxing in the room, you had to be laying on the bed. We were surprised at the comfort of the bed. Usually, vacation wrecks my back from poor mattresses, even in high end hotels. Our bed was SO comfortable. Not too soft, not hard as a board. The employees spoke English and were very helpful with anything that we needed. With our stay, we did not get all inclusive b/c we wanted to try different restauarants, but a lovely breakfast buffett with fresh fruit, breads, pancakes, french toast, eggs, sausage, beans and coffee was available for free even though we weren't all inclusive. The Paradise Oceanic is a short walk to the beach, about 20 yards. We didn't want to run up our bill with drinks from the mini bar, so we would take turns going back to the room for a beer or water while lounging on the beach. It was a mere steps away. I hope to go back next year, and we will bring a small collapsable cooler that can hold a few beers and/or bottles of water. I cannot WAIT to go back!!!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and we were never disturbed by anyone, I would imagine that all of the ro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I found the roof-top pool to be un-realistically stunning. It has an insane view of the whole west bay beach.. Its like nothing you can find in Roatan!! Its relaxing and almost private!! Very classy touch from the Hotel.

Rooms are comfy, with good cable and internet... plus they have a wide balcony.. I can't complain at all about them, I'd definitely stay in this Hotel again. I had a really good time in this hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Oshawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I travelled there for the week of Feb 21-28/13. The resort/hotel is not a 4-star-far cry from that destinction-SunWing's online profile should be updated to the correct information and amenities that are actually available. The resort does not have 5 restaurants, a spa, or a shop. The resort has one kitchen which supplies the different locations that you can get food--all at an additional cost $. They have a buffet-yes that is where you get to eat every single disgusting meal--breakie 0700-0900, lunch 1200-0200, dinner 1900-2100 only. You can have one a la carte meal but if you want to have the lobster at the Aqua Lounge bring $(even though they say it is included-lol) Oh and the a la carte areas are only available at 1900-2100hrs, make a reservation-if you want anything to eat outside of the buffet hours-bring $ and you can eat at the Cayuco Bar at the beach-oh yeah did I mention we had booked/payed for the all inclusive package?????!! There is no longer a Buffalo Steak House and if you are a wine drinker at your meal you are limited to two glasses???? what, I thought this was all inclusive. The people who work there are for the most part very friendly but they are held to what the general Manager deems fit. The rooms are clean but do lack the suitcase holder, no alarm clock /radio, no hairdryer, and they have no peep hole or security chain-makes it hard to check who is knocking at your door securely. The online SunWing profile also mentions that there is daily activties at the resort-nope-none. In the lobby of the hotel I picked up a small magazine, which lists the Paradise Oceanic that patrons would be able to partake of the La Mouette -French Fine dining, Angelos's Gelateria, and the Buffalo Steak House dated December 2012-May 2013-none of these areas exist.
In the mini-fridge you recieve two bottles of water and are expected to re-fill the bottle the whole week long--I mentioned to the General manager that this not acceptable for more than one day, as the sun and the re-filling of bottles generates more bacteria-he told me to wash it out? with what I didn't bring dish soap and you are not to use the tap water? so he was not very helpful.
So for the amount of $ to stay here you can stay at a better established resort elsewhere and feel that you actually get your money's worth.
The snorkelling is ok off the beach area, and the scuba diving is ok--but some of the reef is dying off.
We have travelled all over the world and this experience was worst vacation area we have attended-and to top it off we have been ill for 13 days after coming back home--the vacation that keeps on giving....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from an All-Inclusive Sunwing Vacation to Roatan. We stayed at the Paradise Oceanic Hotel in West Bay, which, according to the Sunwing Brochure is a 4 Star Resort.

Having travelled to the Caribbean every year for the past 10 years or so to many different all-inclusive resorts, I thought I was aware of what a 4 star resort should include. Paradise Oceanic Hotel did have some of the criteria that would make it a 4 star like comfortable beds, flat screen televisions, and it was clean. However, it was lacking in other things that I feel should be included in a 4 star resort.

The room didn’t have a clock, hairdryer, facecloths, or suitcase stands. Had I known about the hairdryer and facecloth issue, I would have brought my own. The minibar had 2 bottles of water only. Normally pop and beer are included in the fridge and are replenished daily. If we wanted more water, we had to walk to the bar and refill our bottles as we could not get more.

Lunch was from 12 -2 and dinner was from 7 -9. If you have lunch at 12, it is a long time to wait until 7 p.m. They did bring a few snacks to the bar but they were gobbled up very quickly and not replenished. I am not a beer drinker but do like a glass of wine. However, wine is not served until 7 p.m. Not sure why. The food was OK, but did get boring by the end of the week. Many of the people in our group did end up with diarrhea, probably as the food was not warm and sat out for the 2 hours.

The staff were lovely and very accommodating, but seemed to live in fear of the manager who was not particularly friendly or willing to listen. Had we known it was in fact, a 2 ½ star or 3 at best, I would not have travelled to this spot.

Room Tip: No view unless on the fourth floor. End rooms have bigger balcony.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Port Perry, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Go to Roatan but DO NOT GO to this resort. Although almost a week of rain did not help, this hotel is at best a joke. Cold, horrible food, rooms with no chairs or much else for that matter, a limited drink list. Everything is at a premium - need beach towels, they will be available in 2o minutes. Need a blanket, they don't have any. If you want a glass of wine, wait til 7 pm.
This is not an all inclusive. They make up the rules every day, depending on how hard they got yelled at by the manager. Staff are nice but shrug at everything.
There is a children's size fridge in the room that has 2 water bottles. You must refill these bottles yourself but God forbid, don't lose one.
Had to beg for extra toilet paper, Kleenex, drink glasses. Horrible spot.,

Room Tip: There is no view except 4th floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have just come back from Roaton on Monday.
My Husband and I had a Great time at this resort.
We have travelled every year to the Carribean, to 4-6 Star Resorts.
I will rate this resort as a 4 star.
Rooms: The rooms are very basic , but very nice. The maid service was the best we have ever had. Yes, the Fridge has only water on arrival, but they will give you pop or beer at the bar for your fridge if you ask.
Bars: Great Service at all bars, very friendly. The Specialy Drinks are Great, Beer fantastic, and they actually give you the bottle, and not a plastice glass. The wine was the worst, you can purchase your own wine and they will keep it at the bar for you. The bars do close at 10:00 every night.
Food: We had no issues with the food. The buffett is small, but the food was good. I do think they could improve on the breakfast menue. We had a wonderful dinner on our last day on the Beach. Food was fantastic as was the entertainment.
There is alot to do in Roatan, it is a very safe island to go around on your own.
This resort does not cater to children, as there are no activites going on. I found that most people who visit Roatan are either snorklers of divers. The snorkiling is Wonderful. The best I have ever experienced.
Pools: They have(3) pools at this resort. (1) roof top which was really nice, great bar service from Hechter. (1) pool at the buffet restaurant which was very nice, and a small pool on the way to the beach.
I would also like to mention that the ground at this resort were absolutely beautiful.
For those who have written reviews that are negative, I feel must be very hard to please.
I would go back to this resort agian, and would tell others to go too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

You might wonder why i have given this Hotel a "very good" rating after you read my story. We chose this spot because it had been built in 2011 and the alternative properties looked tired. It was very nice: tile, granite, tasteful decorations, flat screen T.V. The top level with a fresh water pool, bar and nice lounge chairs is a favourite gathering spot to view the sunset.

When we arrived there were no hangers, soap dish, drinking glasses, blow dryer or iron in the room. They were quickly provided. We were experiencing difficulty with the hot water (it was luke warm or cold). At first we thought it was just a matter of extreme use at peak times, but then called in the maintenance crew. They came twice and claimed that they had fixed it. On the third visit, we found out what was wrong. There is a thermostat under the bathroom sink. When the thermostat was set properly for hot water, the circuit breaker would flip and cut off the heat. The maintenance man merely turned the thermostat down to prevent it from flipping the breaker. This resulted in luke warm then cold water. Thanks buddy. He eventually admitted that the whole unit had to be replaced but could not be done before we were to leave. We had 4 days of nothing but cold water.

This hotel is an add-on to the Paradise Resort and Hotel. Essentially, you utilize all the restaurants and facilities of the lesser property. The food was, at times inedible. I never thought i would lose weight on the trip. Still, the weather was perfect, the beach beautiful and the ocean pristine. Plus our diving with West Bay Divers was great which is why we went to Roatan.

Room Tip: We were in a corner room, 308. Good location. Avoid 108.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Paradise Oceanic Hotel? Share your experiences!