“Oceanic - Sunwing's Mostly All-Inclusive” 2 of 5 stars

Paradise Oceanic Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West Bay Beach, West Bay, Honduras   |
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in West Bay
London, Canada
“Oceanic - Sunwing's Mostly All-Inclusive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We just returned Dec 10/12 from the Oceanic in Honduras. The previous reviewer Brad R has done a wonderful job of describing the resort but I wanted to expound on a few of the amenities. This resort is no place to take a family of any sort. There is absolutely nothing to do - it is the same as going to a small motel that is beachside anywhere. You swim, sort of drink, and dare to eat within the very strict timelines. There is nothing outside the eating times that is edible no matter what Sunwing advertises. A normal dinner plate of fried Plantain set on the bar amongst the flies around 3 pm, never to be refilled, does not constitute "snacks". This description is the same Sunwing uses for the other 15 resorts we have attended and at no time has this been the definition. Again Sunwing is misleading in the description and they are well aware of this but continue on.

Check In :
Throughout the resort, the Staff are excellent - not one complaint with them which is one of the reasons a Mostly All-Inclusive did not turn the trip sour. Upon arrival we were met with a smile and even though we had email confirmation, from the front desk Manager, of a 2nd floor room (mobility issues) we were issued a 3rd floor room. I showed the staff the email from their Manager but he was unavailable that day. Little did I know that "unavailable" was the Management technique employed at the Paradise and it became obvious he was taught it by the General manager as I was to discover. Front desk staff quickly found a 2nd floor room and off we went. The front desk is also where you learn WiFi is $50/week. That seemed expensive but when in Rome......
We had upgraded to the Oceanic Hotel as it was advertised as new and the roof top exclusive bar/ pool seemed like a nice touch but as the previous reviewer already revealed it turns out the roof top option is just that, an option. It is accessible to all Paradise customers so there is nothing exclusive to it. Also, it is never manned anyway so what you have is a 5 th floor pool with no service any where close by. Sunwing ensures it publishes pictures of the pool and eating area as well as a description of the pool but in reality, for all intents and purposes, it does not exist. The rooms are as described but the hot water is barely hot enough to shower with at any time. Complaints to Sunwing and the Hotel Manager, Harry change nothing. They are in the process of upgrading all the Paradise Beach rooms and they have excellent hot water and pressure so why pay the upgrade to Paradise Oceanic?

There is one bar at the beach and one by the pool. All bars are closed by 9:30 pm no exceptions. The pool bar has no full time bartender as the pool is seldom used. We sat by the pool one day and were able to wave a staff member down as required but if multiple people were to need drinks this would never work. The beach bar staff, Angel and Ingrid, are extremely nice and do a great job albeit they are a little slow, I believe due to inexperience. It seemed like wherever you went you were always dealing with brand new staff with no experience. No one had more than a few weeks of senority. I don't know where last year's staff got to. The only Bartender that really seem to have things figured out was Isaac. He was excellent and kept asking if your drink was fine etc. The 2nd day there he was let go until Dec 17 due to low patrons. I believe he was sent home due to getting drinks out too quickly. The General Manager is on a huge austerity kick so less drinks per hour served is money in the resorts pocket. The positive is all beer and pop is served from a bottle, no bulk dispensing. At the beach bar there is a chalk board of the 8 mixed drinks you can have in the all - inclusive plan so if it isn't there you aren't getting it. No drink of the day, no speciality drink, nothing but the list and if you want anything like Kaluha it's $5 a shot. Even Cuba has a knock off of Tia Maria but not the Paradise, $5 per shot because it is not on the list.

Absolutely Stunning is the best way to describe it. Beautiful soft sand and the Snorkling and Scuba Diving is second to none. The snorkling is 50 yards off shore and goes forever. BUGS - bring spray and you will still get bitten but a lot less. I nevrer saw any one spray the grounds and this is a well rained upon island so you do the math.

Scuba Diving:
On site is West Bay Divers, they are fantastic. Malcolm and Luke run a first rate dive shop. The diving is absolutely awesome and the reef is extremely healthy and beautiful. If you go you must have them take you on a night dive, best ever. Hopefully you will get to see the String of Pearls, amazing!!! The price for diving is extremely reasonable and all the dive masters certainly earn their tips. Thanks Kieran

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. I have never seen such a poor selection or temperature of food at any other All-inclusive. Everyone complains about Cuba's food but I would take Cuba over this place anytime. The servers Fanny, Elvidia (?), Hector and Monica were great and did an outstanding job but the food was horrible. None of the meals had a single chef at the buffet. No omelletes, no carved meats and no pasta anything. Eating at noon and not again until 7 is unacceptable for most families and difficult when you've been sunning and drinking all day. Yes there are multiple restaurants up and down the Beach but buying your food seems to defeat the definition of all-inclusive again more like mostly-inclusive. Food temperature has been discussed so beware as I am in day 8 of intestinal issues and counting.

The general Manager, Harry, was brought in by the owners to increase revenue. I give him 6 months. He is by far the worst General Manager I have ever encountered. Not one single time did he ever introduce himself or even say hello. No asking questions of the patrons, no interaction at all. He walks around in an old Florida Gator t-shirt, ratty old shorts and a pair of flip flops. He is worse dressed than the staff a they at least wear the Resort golf shirt uniform but not him. He hid behind his staff on every turn , if staff said something was not included then nothing changed until you insisted they asked Harry. Harry would allow it but the next day the same issue arose and process started over. This went on every day. At best Harry is a Maintenance Manager not a GM. His focus for the whole week was to get 2 TVs mounted at the beach bar. Don't fix the hot water, the food or the snacks, get those TVs up so we can all shut them off at 9:30. I'm sure the owners will figure this one out once they see the revenue dropping.

Sunwing Reps:
Francine and Estelle are 2 of the friendliest reps you will ever meet. However they are also 2 of the most ineffective reps you will ever meet. Many things are gong to be looked into or checked out however there is never a definitive answer on anything nor is there any change when issues are brought forward. Once again both Ladies are new to Roatan so there is no relationship between them and the resort. It is painfully obvious. I was assured all the issues I brought up were already forwarded on to Sunwing but of course no remedy

This a beautiful Island with lush vegetation and a stunning reef. I would definitely return to the Island but never to the Paradise Beach/ Oceanic until the drink selection improves, the GM is replaced and the food/ snacks are vastly improved. Sunwing knows about the issues at this resort but continues to sell it with a rather misleading representation. I feel they are as responsible as the resort to make changes.

Room Tip: Paradise beach rooms are being updated, don"t upgrade to Oceanic
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Geoff S

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I just got back from a week at this hotel and will give you an honest breakdown below.

Very easy and pleasant. The girl behind the front desk had a big smile and an equally big personality. She made check-in and out a pleasure.

The Hotel
The hotel consists of five stories – four stories of rooms and the fifth being the roof top deck. None of the rooms have a decent view so don’t plan on getting a higher floor for a better view, it simply isn’t there. The roof top deck is beautiful and does have a decent view. Unfortunately, it is never used. It is set up to be used as a bar/restaurant; however it didn’t function as such while I was there. Pity! We did make use out of it on our last day by bringing a few beers up from the beach bar and sitting in the pool while watching the sunset.

The Rooms
The rooms are nice and clean. They are sparsely decorated with only a bed, two night tables, and desk. The desk contains a bar fridge complete with two bottles of water, nothing else. This water is not replenished at any time during your stay. If you need more water, and you will, it is available at either bar, most of the time. The room did not have a foldy-suitcase-rack thing to set your suitcase upon. This meant I had to unpack, fortunately, the closet was quite large. There is no clock in the room – I had to get wake-up calls for early morning excursions. The balconies are a decent size with two faux wicker chairs and a table. The bathroom was nice but small. The shower was tiny and at no time had hot water; it was room temperature at best. The water pressure was lousy – I have more water pressure… The toilet paper felt like #30 sandpaper. When you have tummy issues, and you will if you stay here, you will be wishing you brought a role or two from home.

The Beach
The beach is long but only 40 feet wide (I measured it). It is an adequate size, for the size of the hotel during low season. I had no problems getting a chair under a palapa. The beach is full of mosquitoes and sand fleas at all times of the day. I wore Deep Woods Off and still managed to get hundreds of bites. Although unsightly, if you take Benadryl, they won’t itch. Just off the shore is the most beautiful reef I have ever seen. I still can’t get over how much living coral there was. You don’t have to stay at this resort to access the reef as all the AI hotels in this area have access to it.

The hotel has a gentleman on the beach working as security. He takes his job very seriously. If you don't want vendors bothering you, he will ensure that they leave you alone. When you go into the ocean, he watches your belongings like a hawk. I have never felt so comfortable leaving my belongings unattended.

Food and Beverages
Though the hotel and Sunwing claim that this hotel offers an all-inclusive plan, I will assure you they do not. Breakfast was four chafing dishes of crap with very little fresh fruit on the side. It was served from 7-9 am, however if you got there after 8am very little was left and nothing was replenished. Lunch (12-2 pm) and dinner (7-9 pm) were pretty much the same story. The food was brought to the service area cold, and then warmed in the chafing dishes. If you got to the restaurant early you had plenty of food but it was cold – if you got there later, it was warm slim pickings. I have worked in the food safety industry and know that their failure to maintain the food at an adequate temperature can lead to food bourne illness. I suggest it was this practice which was responsible for making everyone at the resort ill.

When I finally tired of fighting for what should be included, I began buying my lunch and/or breakfast at one of the a la carte restaurants. For the most part, the food is reasonably priced and shockingly good. I am shocked because all of the food at this resort comes from one kitchen. Clearly, someone back there is a decent cook. It is a shame that their efforts were not realized in the buffet.

The Sunwing ad suggests you get 1 buffet at the Buffalo restaurant (which no longer exists) and 1 a la carte per week. The hotel staff informed me that a la carte was not part of the all inclusive plan. It was only after complaining to them, their general manager, and the Sunwing rep that they begrudgingly gave me one a la carte. The Sunwing ad also suggests you get snacks. Snacks here are typically a plate of tortilla chips, left uncovered on the beach bar for the flies to enjoy, once per day. No food is served anywhere on the resort after 9:30 pm.

Beverages are 5 varieties of local beer and a slim selection of hard liquor – there is no Baileys or Kahlua or any other liqueur included. The “house wine” which is the only one that is included, and then only 2 glasses with dinner, is some pink concoction which nobody enjoyed. Alcohol is only served until 9:30 pm.

Again I complained to the Sunwing rep about their food and beverage service and she commiserated with me before telling me that one of the advantages of this hotels crappy AI plan is that I can go to other resorts near-by and pay for lunch and/or drinks. If anyone understands how this is an advantage, please let me know as I am still a little befuddled.

The day we left, Sunwing ushered most of the guests out of the hotel at 11 am to catch their 3 pm flight. As the airport is dismal and only a half hour away, a group of us decided to find our own way to the airport. This allowed us extra beach time and some lunch before our flight back. The general manager found us waiting for lunch in the buffet restaurant at 11:50 am. He had a few words with his lunch staff and coincidently, the chafing dishes were not out on this day until after 12:30 pm.

Most of my complaints are really quite minor. I could easily overlook them and would otherwise gladly return. However, to me, the biggest advantage of an AI resort is that you have no worries, if you’re hungry there is always food available, if you want a drink, name your poison and someone will be all to happy to pour it for you. It isn’t the case here. I ate very little buffet food and quickly tired of drinking the swill they pass off as alcohol. I feel like I have been swindled by both the hotel and Sunwing. I will neither return nor use Sunwing in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank Brad R
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Please avoid this place, we had a horrible time, starting from the fact that we found a tarantula under our bed and we have 2 babies. The food is disgusting, not worth to pay the all inclusive.

There's not hot water on the shower we had to suffer hearing our baby cry with that cold water. There is no room service everything is closed early.

The cable had a bad signal, you can't even watch a show because it is to blurry.

We left the manager know our discomfort and she didn't even cared.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank CYAC
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just got back from a week at the Paradise Oceanic Resort in Roatan.
The Hotel is new only a year old and sits behind a condo and beside the Paradise Beach Resort that it is partnered with.
The flight there was long as we had to touch down in Belize to let off passengers, so check with your carrier, ours was Sunwing to make sure this doesn't happen to you.
When you arrive in Roatan, you will be handed an Honduras immigration form to fill out and you might think you are ok not to fill it out because it looks like the sunwing you already filled out, fill it out you need both.
Once we got to the hotel, we were greeted with a lovely cold fruit drink and given our keys. We discovered that our little group of seven were the only ones in the hotel as we were the first Canadian flight there.
Our room was 408, top of the building and the only one with a partial ocean view so that was nice. If you are physically challenged do not opt for this room as the elevator did not work the whole week we were there.
Dinner that night was not great, as they didn't light the little burners underneath to keep the food warm. They soon got the idea and the food improved as the week went on. Twice they served us dinner at the beach bar with a live band and I thought that was a lot to do for seven people.
The service in this hotel is amazing, a shout out to Angel, Vanessa, Omar, and Andrea they are amazing and really make the experience very memorable.
The rooms were always made up in a timely fashion and it was always clean and tidy.
However the hot water although plentiful is not overly hot and the shower head did not provide any pressure, but it is the tropics.
This hotel has an amazing roof top lounge with a little pool and lots of loungers to sit on, but no shade so keep that in mind, and no bar open, so also a consideration as the bar would be five flights down and to the restaurant.
My advise to anyone going to Roatan is spray yourself with insect repellant the minute you get off the plane, the mosquitos and sand flies are really really bad and in no time at all I was covered in bites and that was in the first hour and they are extremely itchy, so night time Benedryl would be a good thing to take as well.
The weather unfortunately was terrible, rained every day, and since we scuba dive that is what we did, I will write a seperate report on West Bay Dive Shop, they are excellent.
This is a quiet hotel, good for couples that can make their own fun and appreciate a casual atmosphere.
My boyfriend had his birthday while there and they provided a cake and a special pizza dinner free of charge and the band sang, it was much appreciated.
We had a great time and appreciate the staff and management of this hotel.
email me if you want specific questions answered.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 408
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank sprocak
Teulada, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Could not fault this hotel, everything was fine. Best hotel food I´ve ever had. Compliments to the chef and to the staff for chilling our wine !
House keeping standards excellent. We live in mainland Spain, where the housekeeping standard of a hotel of this star is very high, so we were pleasantly surprised .
Only one complaint, the lift never worked while we were there. We are both quite fit, so no problem for us to climb to the fourth floor, but could be an issue for some guests.
Rooftop pool is small but what a view !

Room Tip: The rooms at each end of each floor are bigger. Top floor has ocean views over the buildings in fron...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank anna s
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed in Roatan from May 3rd to May 17th, our first time on the island, and had a fantastic vacation.

The previous reviewer did a brilliant job of describing the hotel , amenities etc so I will try not to reiterate the same details as far as possible.

I booked this hotel through the website after researching others in the area that met our criteria. We don't dive but are avid snorkelers and knew that we wanted to be on West Bay for close proximity to the fantastic snorkeling to be found there. A pool was also a pre-requisite for us, as we love to split our time between beach and pool, so that narrowed our search down to about three or four in that area. We chose the Paradise as from everything we read, it seemed to be the sort of small, intimate resort that we prefer and the rates were very reasonable. We booked the bed and breakfast option and were glad we didn't book the full meal plan as we were able to eat at lots of other places for fairly reasonable prices. We did eat dinner our first night at the Buffalo Steak House and had the ribs.We found them to be very good ( huge portions!), but when we looked at the menus for the various restaurants on site during the following days, we felt that the prices were somewhat higher compared to what we were paying to eat off resort.

Our room was on the fourth floor and even though we overlooked the condos in front, we were high enough up that we also had a lovely view of the ocean over the roofs tops. Our room was very nice and modern, but like the previous reviewer, we also found it odd that there was no place/shelf in the shower area to hold soap, shampoo, conditioner etc, however no big deal. Fortunately for us, the elevator did not break down during our two weeks , but there was a bit of an issue with other guests failing to close both the inner and outer doors completely on occasion and resulting in the elevator being "stuck" on whatever floor they had exited on. It was a bit perplexing as there was a notice on the inside wall, in both English and Spanish, explaining that both doors needed to be closed upon entering and exiting in order for it be operated.

As previously mentioned, the view from the rooftop is magnificent! Breakfast was served up there on a few mornings when the hotel was at low occupancy and it was lovely to eat with that view!

It was very hot and sunny for thirteen of our fourteen days , so we quickly got into the routine of getting up around 7am and going for a long snorkel each morning before breakfast so as not to be out in the sun in the heat of the day . In the afternoons, we often would lay out by one or other of the two pools located behind the Buffalo Steak House and the Aqua Lounge respectively. Many times we had the pools to ourseves so even though one was quite small, it was still nice to be able to have frequent dips in that heat.

I cannot say enough good things about the hotel, the accommodations and the wonderful staff who went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable.

We would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: For those who burn easily like myself, just a heads up that there is virtually no shade on the rooft...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
22 Thank judyper
Orange County, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have been coming to Roatan for approximately 10 years (approximately 15 trips) and am familiar with many of the places on West Bay Beach. I had to make my plans at the last minute and was not able to get a room at my usual spot so I decided to book a room at the brand new Paradise Oceanic Hotel. I am putting a lot of details into this review because of the varying level of accommodations on Roatan. It helps to know what to expect.

The Oceanic is located on the grounds of the Paradise resort complex which contains the Paradise Beach Resort, four restaurants (the Cayuco Bar, the Aqua Lounge, Il Pomodoro, and the Buffalo Steak House) and separately run West Bay Divers. I made my reservation via e-mail address located on their web site (http://www.roatanswisshotels.com). The reservation process was very smooth. Karina handled all the details and was very responsive to e-mails. I opted for the full meal plan since I had heard good things about the restaurants. I was asked to pay 50% upfront since I was making the reservation so close to my arrival date. This is very common on Roatan due to its being more of a remote destination. The hotel does accept all major credit cards. Be careful when you are making your reservation to state that you want to be at the Oceanic or they may quote you the rate at the sister resort.

Since I was staying for over a week, my round trip transportation from the airport was included. This is important since by this would normally cost $40-$50 by itself. I was met outside of the airport by a driver who took me on the 20-30 minute drive to West Bay. I checked in with the front desk which is currently shared by both of the Paradise Resorts. The front desk also placed a plastic band around my wrist to indicate I was a guest at the resort. It may have also indicated that I was on a meal plan.

The Oceanic shows really well. It looks very modern on the outside with lots of glass walls. There’s a small parking lot behind the hotel if you choose to rent a car. The hotel is five stories tall, including the roof top lounge and pool. The hotel is not ocean front, but rather 100 feet away from the beach. They installed a small elevator as well – one of the few on the island. The elevator is one which has a regular type of door on the outside and an inner door. You close both doors after entering and select your floor. The elevator worked for my first two days but then I noticed it was out of service, I believe due to a problem with one of the access doors. I suggest that if you have difficulty negotiating the stairs, that you get a first floor room. I was on the third floor and was fine with the stairs but please take your own needs into consideration. The stairwells do not have handrails at this time. I hope this is addressed for safety reasons. Also, all the stairs are nicely tiled. The title has a slight texture to it but the resort might want to consider some kind of additional no-slip treatment.

Since I travel with a small laptop, I think it’s worth mentioning that the safe could hold (based on my estimate, a laptop that’s 12 inches by 10 inches, perhaps a little more. I had no problem fitting mine in there but if you have a 17 inch laptop, well, that’s another matter. Wireless internet access is My room came with a king size bed with a nice mattress a lightweight sheet and spread, and good pillows. The two adjacent night stands had large drawers. The balcony had two chairs and a small table. Also in place was a large desk that contained a small refrigerator. The closet was quite large and had a digital safe.

The bathroom was small, but nicely furnished with a porcelain above counter “bowl” sink. The sink drain is a strainer type cover and does not have a stopper valve so if you want to wash clothing items in the sink, bring a drain cover. Shampoo, soap, lotion, and a small box of tissues were provided as well as several decent towels. One small annoyance was that there was no place to put your soap in the shower. I had to reach out and grab it from the counter and place it there when I was done. The only thing missing was a clock but I had my watch with me and didn’t care. It’s the tropics! Also, there was a shower curtain rod, but no shower curtain. Actually, given the size of the shower and that it has a “rain” type of showerhead, I think a shower curtain would feel very confining. The water pressure was good.

Wireless internet access is available throughout the property. The signal was pretty strong on most days but it went out completely in the Oceanic for a few days so I took my laptop to one of the other buildings and used it there. There is a charge for internet access. I paid $50 for a week’s usage. As an alternative, you can rent a USB cellular modem from Captain Van’s in West Bay Mall for a lower cost per week but I believe you have to put a deposit on it. Also, one of the restaurants down the beach near Foster’s (I think the restaurant is called Beaches) lets you use their Wi-Fi if you order. Also, the Java Vine in West Bay Mall (on the main road) will let you use their Wi-Fi for 30 minutes if you spend at least $5.

I thought of a few more details on the room. There was a 32” television in the room. The channel selection was pretty good. There were lots of Honduran channels and feeds from all of the major US networks including the news channels (CNN, FOX News, etc.). I don’t watch much television but it was nice to hear some news. Also, the room has a split unit air conditioner which was fairly quiet. I had no problems sleeping with it on. There is a ceiling fan as well. Also, the refrigerator is small. It’s more like the size of a hotel minibar unit. It is not very deep (maybe 6-8 inches). It can hold several water bottles and some small items but do not think of it as a “true” refrigerator. The rooms use card key locks. This is much better than carrying around a hotel key. Also, you need to insert a room key into a control slot to turn on the electricity. I believe this is done as a way to conserve electricity since it is very expensive on Roatan. The electrical power was stable for the whole week. There were no outages. I do not know if Paradise has a backup generator. You should ask if that’s important to you.

The room also contained a telephone – something not common today on Roatan. I did not see any instructions on how to place calls (e.g. dial 9 first). I did not use the phone. I suggest you bring an unlocked GSM phone from your home country. You can buy a SIM and top it up from a local provider (TIGO or Claro) at Captain Van’s in West Bay Mall.

One of the stellar features (in my opinion) with the Oceanic is the rooftop pool. If you go to the fifth floor, you first enter a nice bar/restaurant area and then can pass to the pool outside. This pool is about 30 feet long by 8 feet wide (more or less). It is not a lap pool. It’s a soaking pool. The view is spectacular. You can see almost the whole of West Bay Beach. There are several nice lounge chairs. I took a book up there several times and just relaxed for a few hours. Incidentally, each guest gets a coupon for a beach towel. It’s nice to not have to pack one of those. The only issue I had with the pool is that it was often locked and I had to ask the staff to unlock it. We did have a few rainy days so that made sense. The last few days were sunny and I had to ask the staff to unlock it. I waited quite a while for that to happen.

In terms of the view from the room, remember that the hotel is not beachfront. You will probably have a view of the condominiums next door. It didn’t matter to me. If you want that panoramic view, go to the rooftop pool. Also, keep in mind that many of the beach front hotels in West Bay do not necessarily offer views of the Caribbean from their rooms.

The Oceanic offers three meal options: Bed & Breakfast includes breakfast only, a half board (lunch or dinner each day, your choice) or full board. Breakfast is served in the Il Pomodoro/Buffalo Steak House restaurants (it’s actually one big restaurant with two sections. You could order eggs any way you wanted. I requested a baleada (a tortilla stuffed with beans and cheese). They also had fresh fruit, breads, juice, and coffee.

Although there are four restaurants I think it’s better to view them as a combination of four locations and four menus. The reason I am saying this is that I was able to order off the menu from one restaurant while sitting in another.

Il Pomodoro and the Buffalo Steak House are two separate spaces in the same building. Il Pomodoro has a variety of pastas, pizzas, and some seafood. The Buffalo Steak House offers different meats and seafood. Also, breakfast is served in this facility each day. The Aqua Lounge has some Italian entrees which aren’t on the other menus as well as some other lighter fare options. In general, all the food was fantastic. I did notice that they were often out of stock on some items on certain days. For example, I was only able to order the beef filet on one day. They didn’t have it on the other days. I believe one of the reasons for this is that I came at the start of the slow season. Consequently, resorts do not want to buy large quantities of items which could potentially go bad. I did not ask. That’s just my guess. I’ve experienced this at other resorts in West Bay as well. I found all of the portion sizes to be quite large. You could probably split one entrée between two people in many cases and add a few side dishes.

I had opted for the full meal plan just for ease. It did not include alcohol (although you get a coupon for one welcome cocktail). I think next time I might go with the Bed & Breakfast plan or maybe the half board. There are enough options in West Bay now to provide some variety, but you have to bring extra cash. Many places (but not all) take credit cards. There are a few ATMs now in West Bay (which usually work).

When it comes to bugs, Roatan’s “no see ums” are legendary. Having said that, I was on the island during a very breezy time and had very few bites. Also, Paradise does spray the grounds and it does make a difference. You can either bring repellent or buy it on the island at West Bay Mall or other gift shops.

Also, if you need incidentals or munchies, there are some minimarkets down the beach at Bananarama, Conconut Tree, and the Mayan Princess as well as West Bay Mall. You can find all the essentials, sometimes at very good prices.

The staff members at Paradise are fantastic. Everyone was very helpful. I’ll mention some of the people that were very helpful: Felipe and Karina in the front office, Fanny and Ermelinda in the restaurant, and Doris the housekeeper. There are many others whose names I do not remember who also lent a hand.

I will definitely consider staying at the Paradise Oceanic again. This hotel is beautiful. sI had a very relaxing time.

Room Tip: If you are unable to handle stairs, choose a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Paradise Beach Hotel
#8 of 13 in West Bay
4.0 of 5 stars 378 reviews
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Paradise Oceanic Hotel? Share your experiences!