“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Xbalanque Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Bay
Xbalanque Resort
You added Xbalanque Resort to your Saves list
Tamarind Drive, West Bay, Honduras   |
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in West Bay
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I recently spent 8 days at the Xbalanque resort on Roatan Island. I can't say enough. Aesthetically this is by far the most beautiful and well done resort on the Island. Patsy and Dennis are incredible. The chef -Pedro- wow- the food is fantastic. I can't say enough about this place. The rooms are comfortable and very high class- the atmosphere is relaxing- right on the beach-close enough to the crowds of WEst Bay and WEst End- you can walk there in 15 min. on the beach or water taxi in 3- yet far enough awaty to be peaceful and quiet.

I have traveled all over the world- and I would rank my experience with this place in the top 5- no doubt.

Jim
Illinois USA

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Everything about this resort is better than words can even describe! We arrived on the island (in which we never had been) to be greeted by the owner, Patsy. She is an extremely pleasant and sweet woman that offered to take us to the grocery store on the ride back to Xbalanque. This started the week off with huge smiles on our faces - can you believe the owner escorted us to the grocery store???!!! On our beautiful mountainous ride back to the resort, she gave us some history of the island and pointed out major landmarks to view, but once we got back to the resort - Oh My God!!! Just absolutely beautiful, immaculately clean, very contemporary, unbelievably comfortable and Patsy's eye for design is nothing like I have ever seen!! We stayed on the 2nd story in the 2-bedroom, 2-bath unit, and it was awesome awesome awesome!! The room was decked out wiith a full sized kitchen with stainless steel, granite counter tops, marble floors - and it even had a full-sized washer and dryer! The beds were extremely comfortable, with each room having a rain-shower and the master a jacuzzi tub!
The owners and staff: 10 OUT OF 10!! The owners, Patsy and Dennis, really took the time to get to know you, and cater to your every need/want. We enjoyed their company so much, we had dinner with them 6 out of the 8 nights in Roatan at the on-site restaurant called "Lotus". In which I can't rave enough about - Raul, the cook, is amazing!! Cecilia, the bartender, also deserve a mention - just wonderfully pleasant!
Location: perfect mix between privacy and convenience. Water taxi's (during the daytime) can take you to West Bay or West End inside of 5 minutes for just $3.00 a person. They have on-site snorkeling gear, ocean kayaks, and everything you need to paddle out to the reef (about 200 yards away) for as much snorkeling as you can handle - and guess what - it was free!!! The view is absolutely breath-taking, with a Western view, hence making the sunset and the location that much more amazing!

As a quick mention - I had a problem with my ear from diving and Patsy personally took me to the clinic - most owners/managers would just send you in an over-priced cab!

I just cannot say enough good things about Xbalanque Resort - I absolutey would not even consider another place on Roatan because nothing will ever compare to our experience there! Choose Xbalanque - you won't be disappointed!!!!!

Room Tip: They are all amazing rooms!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
mundelein
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have been thinking about this review for a month now. My husband offered me a nice vacation for my 50th BD. Was to be just us, then we decided to take my 2 daughters 16 and 17 along. I don't know how to refer to Xbalanque. It is a beautiful property at the bottom of a long paved road, right on the water. Just what I was looking for. It is private, but the beach on Roatan is public so there are others walking the beach which makes it nice and not too secluded. There is a large 3 level house on one side, and a building with 5 condo units, reception area,conference room, private bar/restaurant, pool, 2 patios, 1 2nd level, 1 rooftop, we spent a lot of time up there. There are 4, 2bdrm condos, and 1, 1bdrm in this building.
There are parrots in a couple of cages, a resident tree frog, geckos, and crabs that kept us from missing our pets too terribly. There is a great deck out over the water with 2 hammocks we really enjoyed and really did not have to ever venture out, although we did quite a bit. They have 2 boats aval. for fishing and snorkeling trips. Kayaks and snorkeling gear are aval. for guest use. The owner Mrs. Bracy was there when we stayed. She is wonderful, that is the best way to put it. She made sure we had the best possible visit I could ever have asked for. She arranged outings for my girls, and ourselves. She made sure what everyone wanted to have for dinner, which once trying other places on the Island, Xbalanque has the best chef, and meal aval. for the cost of local, nice places we tried. She helped me with some work I had to complete as this was a working vacation for me, allowing me access to her printer and laptop. She and her partner Marco were wonderful to us and esp. my 2 girls. The property is cared for by a staff of I think 5 plus security at night. Marco arranged for a vehicle for our stay, and a great outing we will never forget. We will never forget the kindness, warmth and caring they gave to us during our stay. The accommodations are the top of the line from linens, to furnishings to appliances. Wonderful woods, granite counter tops, floor and bath tiles throughout.
Attention to every detail was well thought out when building and furnishing this resort quality property. If you want luxury, beach right out front, wonderful reef not to far out from the beach to enjoy and wonderful, caring ownership, this is the place. It's location to West Bay is well within walking distance, we went to West End by car, but you could also walk along the beach in that direction. I walked every morning, feeling save to do so and wish I had done more exploring up and down the beach earlier in our stay. I would return in a minute, and do plan on it some day.

Room Tip: I assume the top floor would have the best view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rexburg, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I spent a week in Roatan and enjoyed my stay at Xbalanque. The hotel is very nice and new. It's decorated very well and the rooms are clean and comfortable. It's on the beach between West Bay and West End. I took the ocean kayak to West Bay and walked there as well. You can also flag down a water taxi to get to either location. (It may take a few minutes before a taxi comes by) The food was excellent, Raul can cook whatever you want! The grounds were very well kept. There is a reef off shore you can swim to. The snorkeling is great but it is a bit of a swim (300 to 400 meters) I also very much enjoyed relaxing in the pool at the end of each day. I travel to Roatan often and will definitely stay at Xbalanque again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Summerfield, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I spent time at Xbalanque this past spring. To say this resort is first class is a major understatement. From gourmet food cooked to order, drinks at a wonderful poolside bar at sunset to accomodations that leave nothing to be desired, this facility has it all.

We stayed in the newest building on the beach which opened a few months prior to our arrival (the original beach building is perhaps 3 years old).The 2 bedroom/2bath unit we were assigned had a full kitchen and floor to ceiling glass in the living area facing West (looking out on the water). The north facing wall was glass as well. The views, particularly the sunsets, were magnificent!

Our trip activities included snorkling (we paddled resort sea kayaks to a dive locations one day, another day we snorkled off the Xbalanque's 48 ft. Hatteras yacht), scuba diving and just relaxing ( I particularly enjoyed the hammocks on the dock, going out there in the late afternnon and taking a 15 minute nap!). We didn't find time to do any fishing, go for a zip line in the jungle or swim with the dolphins. All of these are nearby excursion opportunities however.

I have traveled the Caribbean extensively, frequently on business, and therefore have visited a number of resorts. There's a reason why eveyone walking on the beach in front of Xbalanque stops to gawk. It's because this place is 1 of a kind. Check it out.

Room Tip: There are 4 identical suites to ours in the new building, 2 bedroom/2bath, . You'd be thrilled w...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I were married at xbalanque in early march 2012.  We initially fell in love with the geography and topography of the island.  It captures mountain, jungle, beach, flats, reef and deep ocean (2000' on the far side of the reef)  in a remarkably compact space.  Enamored of the island we began searching for accommodations.  We found xbalanque on homeaway and were thrilled by how perfect is seemed.  It was just the right size, offered the peace of privacy, the convenience of accessibility, abounding adventure opportunities and all of this packaged in what appeared to be five star luxury.  With  30 guests that were generously donating their vacation time and budgets to join us for our wedding, we felt  an enormous responsibility to ensure a stellar vacation.  Xbalanque seemed like our oyster, but was it too good to be true?  In our experience, marketing materials over promise and under deliver.  So, we scheduled a trip to visit xbalanque and hopefully confirm that this jewel of a spot was as it seemed on the Internet.

From the moment we made contact with pasty, we were warmly embraced and our hopes for the place soared even higher.  Patsy was incredibly accommodating from the start and shared our excitement about the possibility of a wedding there.  As soon as we mentioned our reconnaissance trip she made arrangements to be there with us.  She helped us plan our trip and met us with a smile at the airport.  From the instant we landed to the moment we left, patsy and her local partners Marco and Delzie rolled out the red carpet for us.

Arriving at xbalanque blew our minds.  The resort far exceeded our expectations, an entirely too rare phenomenon in these days of inflated advertising.  Channeling far east spa every space is a unique expression of Patsy's talent.  Fully designed and decorated by patsy, xbalanque is in perfect harmony with its environment and is an inviting escape from reality. We couldn't imagine a more ideal setting.

The local connections that Marco and Delzie bring are invaluable.  From organizing fishing and diving trips with the convenience of dockside pick up to ordering the freshest seafood for a beach bake complete with fire dancers and local music, they can accommodate any request.  We quickly discovered the unmatched charm of not only the physical accomodations but also the customer service that xbalanque offers.  Our decision was a no-brainier, and we left the island eagerly anticipating the privilege of bringing our friends and family back with us for our wedding week.

Our only concerns leading up to the trip were safety and  bugs. Violence on mainland Honduras was on the rise and commanding a fair amount of US press.  We gathered from travel blogs and reviews that Roatan was far removed from the strife of the mainland but needed to confirm it for ourselves.
While you do need to Exercise the same amount of caution you would in any other foreign country and be aware of your surroundings, we never once felt threatened or even uncomfortable.  Patsy maintains a trustworthy staff complete with security that gave us even more peace of mind at the resort.  Our other concern about the bugs,while founded, was completely manageable.  The lush jungle comes at the price of a healthy Noseeum (sand flea/fly)  population.  The resort makes great efforts to minimize the population by daily raking the beach front and actively managing the freshwater drainage.  The bewitching hours are dawn and dusk, during which time bugspray is strongly advised.  We used regular off and it seemed to work for all of our guests.  Patsy also fogged the  beach the day of our wedding to further minimize the nuissance.  I can honestly say that I didnt notice a single bug that entire evening.   While we hear that there is a season for Mosquitos, we didn't see a single one either time we visited (August and March).

Planning the wedding from afar was seemless.  Patsy guided us through every decision and captured our vision for a simple stress free celebration.  As the first wedding at Xbalanque we were able to create our own mold and patsy was refreshingly engaged in making it uniquely ours.

We arrived in Roatan a day ahead of our wedding guests to help prepare for their arrival.  Much to our surprise and delight, there was very little work that patsy hadn't already undertaken.  So, we gladly spent the day playing on her kayaks and shuttling paddle boards from a shop in west end.

We shared the photographs and stories from our August trip with all of the guests prior to the trip but were eagerly anticipating their own reactions to landing in our paradise.  Everyone was bowled over by the beauty of the island, the luxury of the accomodations and the convenience of nearly any activity you can imagine.  You can walk or catch a water taxi ($2) to west end or west bay for drinks, a bite to eat, shopping, etc or you can walk to the top of the driveway for an exhilarating zip line canopy tour.  Local outfitters will pick you up directly from the Xbalanque dock for guided fishing trips, diving and snorkeling or you can snorkel along the reef less than 150 yards off the Xbalanque beach.  Patsy has four kayaks for guests to use at their leisure, three pools, hot tubs, a gym, a spa and a full service private  bar and restaurant right on the property.  You could never leave the resort and have a great time.  Our group was far too adventurous to stay put, so we rented a few cars through Marco and Delzie to allow folks to explore.  The resort also has Xtwo boats (a 46' sport fisher and a smaller fishing/diving boat).  Rental with a captain can be arranged and is highly recommended weather permitting.  We took a day trip to Marbella beach and had a blast.  Our guests ranged from 4 months to 66 years old, and everyone had an amazing time.

Our wedding was a dream come true, beautiful and comfortable followed by great food, spirits and celebration.   Patsy made lovely floral arrangements, bouquets and boutineirs.  The groom and his men built a wedding arch out of driftwood collected by pasty and her staff.   All guests enjoyed a prewedding cocktail hour under the palapa while taking in the view.  After the ceremony, we grazed on gourmet food from the xbalanque kitchen and signature cocktails from the bar.  Patsy contracted the best tres leches cake baker on the island to make our wedding cake, which was outstanding.  We released wish lanterns from the beach and then danced the night away as local, Kris Goldman's band rocked the house.   It was a night  we'd  relive over and over again if we could.  Our hats are off to Pasty, Marco, Delzie and their staff for executing such an awesome wedding on their first try.  We are forever indebted.

Patsy has become like family to us.  Her warmth, humility and boundless talent make her and her resort a magnetic force.  Leaving was by far the toughest task and we eagerly await our next trip.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I found Xbalanque during an extensive web search of Roatan rentals; I am thrilled that I did! The owner, Patsy Bracy, was quick to respond to my inquiry and extremely helpful throughout the booking process. She was quite patient with my questions and assisted me in choosing the property she thought would be the best fit for us.

I think I may have actually gasped when we walked into the property. It exceeded all expectations. My husband and I stayed in the brand new building referred to as the "suites". The entire property is stunning. The decor has a Balinese feel that manages to be modern yet warm and inviting. The choice to keep the living area minimalistic was a good plan; no distraction from the almost 360 ocean views. The only problem I encountered was deciding whether to spend my time in the beautifully appointed suite or the extraordinary outdoor living areas. The roof top patio with a glass of wine for sunset is a must! I was also a big fan of the hammocks on the dock.

We found the location to be superb. It is only about a 10 minute walk to West Bay for a bite to eat or a visit to your favorite dive shop (I highly recommend TGI Divers & Lindy as your dive master). The stretch of beach in front of the hotel gets very little traffic, so you have the feel of a private island. Those that do wander by never neglect to stop and admire the place. West End is about a 15 minute walk. Hint...don't try this walk at high tide (late afternoon/ early evening). We found ourselves climbing over rocks and taking longer than anticipated to get to beachside bar for sunset.

The staff was friendly and eager to assist. Patsy's right hand man, Marco, seems to know everyone on the island. If you need something, he can make it happen.

We are counting the days until our return...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Xbalanque Resort? Share your experiences!