“Bad air for 2 days” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 15 Activities in West Bay
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: We are one of the biggest dive shops in beautiful West Bay. We have been working in Roatan for 12 years and are ALWAYS happy to meet new divers!
Newark, Delaware
“Bad air for 2 days”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Went with a large group of divers, and we had a boatfull of bad air on Day one of diving. Like, unbreathable. I requested a different tank, and it was bad too. DM gave me his tank, and it was still bad, but not as bad. At least 3 other people on boat had same oily, solvent taste. When we told the dive shop, we were first told it must be our regs. ALL of us, at the same time, had bad regs. Huh. Then we were told that oh by the way, they had just cleaned a bunch of tanks....then we were told they had just gotten a new compressor...huh. Wasn't sure which story to believe. One of our group couldn't dive for the rest of day one due to sudden headache, and I barely did. Air on day 2 wasn't as bad but was still tainted, and by Day 3 it appeas that our lungs had cleaned their tanks out pretty well for them. Would NEVER use this dive op again because they didn't accprt responsibility for tainted air fills. No fruit between dives except for first day of 5. Boat crew would NOT touch your gear, would not move gear between tanks, would not touch your geat at all. But I'm sure they still wanted tips for.....um....Something? Dive Boat captain had radio playing so loud he couldn't hear a distressed diver on the surface signaling for help, and that diver had to ditch weights trying to swim back to unaware boat. DM's sometime swam out of sight of group they were supposed to be DM'ing. Again, would NEVER use this op again, they provided little to no help.

Visited November 2011

San Diego
“Good dive shop, skip the whale shark trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

TGI is a good dive shop that was very easy to work with. Lindey was our dive master for our group throughout our trip and he was super cool. He was good with our whole group who ranged from people that were just certified to those that have been diving for years. TGI seemed to have the nicest boats in West Bay, which made for comfortable rides (although very short - dive spots were a short 5-10 minute boat ride away).

My wife and I decided to go on the whale shark excursion. This is an all day boat trip to the waters around Utilia looking for whale sharks. The trip is organized between many of the dive shops. This trip was a waste of time and money (and it was expensive!). We went into it knowing that we may not see any whale sharks...which we did not. But that is part of the risk with these types of trips. Although disappointing, that wasn't the bad part. The bad part was the fact that we kept going around chasing "signs" of whale sharks. This ended up making a few people sick. The trip dragged on and felt like they were keeping us out so we felt like we got our money's worth. We would have been much better off heading back sooner. By the time we started heading back the wind had picked up (which is normal), making the trip back to Roatan miserable (and we both really enjoy being on boats). The annoying part was that the crew continued to act like the trip back wouldn't be a big deal or nearly as rough as it clearly was. There were multiple sick people on the trip back, hanging off the back of the boat getting pounded while being sick. Those of us that weren't sick were all holding on tight, trying not to get soaked or thrown around the boat (including the crew). As much as the trip may sound like a fun adventure, don't do it...unless you personally know that the wind will not pick up or will lay down in the afternoon. When we got back we were bummed and the rest of our group that didn't go went on what sounded like an awesome wreck dive that may have been their favorite dive of the trip.

Skip the whale shark trip and stick to the diving. TGI and Lindey were great and we don't hold the lame whale shark trip against them as a dive shop.

Visited April 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 attraction reviews
“The TEAM, the DIVES, the BOATS, the BEST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I can't say enough about the team at TGI Diving Henry Morgan....everyone was so knowledgable, friendly, professional, happy. The dives were fantastic!!! What made it even better was the dive team was able to communicate in Italian, Spanish, English and French so every diver had a complete understanding of what was going on. The instruction was first rate....I completed my Advanced Open Water and will be returning for my Dive Master training. Oliver, Kiara, Luca, Lindi, Arturo, Roberto just to name a few...and Andrea for helping get it set up for me...the entire staff of TGI and Henry Morgan is to be commended!

Visited July 2011
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
10 attraction reviews
“My Absolute Favorite Dive Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

I've been diving with TGI Roatan since February 2007, when I did my Open Water Referral. The staff is extremely professional and knowledgeable. Since then I've completed my Advanced Open Water and Emergency First Responder courses with TGI and plan to continue taking courses with them.

Lindey is a fabulous Divemaster and I love going out with him. He always finds the best underwater sites and sights. Oliver and the rest of the staff are most helpful with anything you need before and during your visit.

TGI has the better boats and they have a very convenient West Bay location. I've stayed in Sandy Bay and driven daily to TGI to dive even though there were other, closer dive operators. I've tried other places, but TGI certainly is my preferred operator.

Visited May 2011