“Massage review only, did not stay here.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 20 Attractions in West Bay
Type: Spas
Attraction Details
Overland Park, Kansas
“Massage review only, did not stay here.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Just wanted to say this is one of the few places, maybe the only, that is an actual spa close to West bay beach. If you want a massage and not just rubbed down by some random local gal on the beach, then this is where you would want to head.

First, I know it's tough to run a spa on an island and i know i'm not in the US anymore, but the management needs to have a better front door presentation. The reception "area" chairs are outdoor style chairs and they were stacked with magazines, not a horrible thing, but first impressions make a huge impact. I was dying to share with the owners that maybe the place needed to be a little more fresh, updated and presentable (you expect a nicer presentation from a spa, especially when paying US prices). Nonetheless, my husband and I decided to get the 50 Minute aromatherapy massages a few days later since this was really the only place available.

When we arrived we were asked to choose our oil choices , which was nice. They have a list of aromatherapy combinations to choose from and they list warnings, such as stay out of the sun, don't use this if you are pregnant, etc., so you can make somewhat of an educated decision about what is right for you. We chose and were sent to the bathroom together to disrobe (the bathroom is small for two people, but we managed just fine). They do provide lockers for your personal belongings, so you can relax knowing your items are kept locked while you are being treated. Our massage was set up in the same room together (two tables), we rather like the couples massage setup, but some couples may not for various reasons, so it would be a good idea for management to make sure their staff is making customers aware of this before they book the appt., so they may choose otherwise if they prefer. We were fine with it. Just a head up to those that don't like it.

The room was nice, the tables were comfortable (with one exception...the lack of a headrest) and the massage was just okay. They did have nice relaxing music playing and the room was a comfortable temp. They do not have traditional tables where your head (nose and mouth for breathing) hang through the padded head rest. Instead, they have a flat bed with an air travel style U-shaped pillow covered with a case, and when you lie your face on it it's very hard to breath because your face is almost pressed into the bed. This may be very uncomfortable for some people to breath, so just a heads up.

Both of our masseuses were female, very kind and soft spoken, but neither spoke a single word of English, however, hand gestures were enough to get us by and the language barrier did not present a problem. Everything was going along fine, until I realized I just how sick and infected the masseuse working on me was. She was sneezing, coughing, sniffling (ever few seconds), stopping to wipe her nose. All I could hope was that her nose didn't drip on me and that she wasn't coughing directly into her hands and then bringing them right back on my skin (although i know this is exactly what she was doing). It was very distracting and I'm sure she wasn't enjoying having to deal with it anymore than I was. Every few seconds she stopped to cough, sneeze or sniffle during my massage! I felt really sorry for her more than anything. She should have been home in bed away from public and certainly not working and touching customers. So, I would like the management to understand that this experience is the reason for the not so great review. Someone that sick should not be working on customers.

All in all, it was a decent place. If you really want a massage, then go, but if your masseuse is sick, cancel or ask for different person. Trust me, it ruins the tranquil experience when you have someone hacking up a lung and mucus mere inches from your body for 50 minutes.

Miami Beach, Florida
53 attraction reviews
“West Bay's Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were there in the middle of November and the weather wasn't cooperating during the last two days of our stay so we looked for something else to do since we couldn't be outside.

Had I known about this place at the beginning of our stay on the island, I would've gone there daily for a massage. I didn't want to get a massage from the ladies who offer their services while walking on the beautiful beach - am a bit of a "clean freak" and not really sure about the oils that they use. My best friend and I wanted a 4-hour treatment to fill our afternoon. I didn't have expectations as I tend to do that when travelling to developing countries - but were we more than pleasantly surprised?

When we arrived for our 3.5 hour appointment, the ladies who greeted us were so friendly and accomodating. The lobby area was basic but clean (Balinese/island style decor) so I felt comfortable right away - it also helped a lot when we found out the owners are originally from Portland, OR area.

The entire experience was sublime - my papaya facial was amazing; the massage was heavenly; my coconut/chocolate body scrub was superb and being "bathe" after having been wrapped in foil made me feel like I "princess". I wish I can have someone bathe me all the time! Ha! The therapist was very professional and I never felt rushed...this experience took "pampering" to the next level! When we were done with the treatment, I had one of the ladies do my polish change since my nails were chipping from scuba diving earlier in the week. They even gave us each a rum cocktail while getting my nails painted.

And did I mention the price was a fraction of what one would pay at high-end spas back in the States - Calistoga, CA or San Francisco or Miami (where I call home these days)? The staff there certainly don't skimp on service...true island hospitality!

If this is the only reason that I will come back to West Bay, it will be well-worth it! Until next time...

Visited November 2012
Seattle, Washington
5 attraction reviews
“Glad we went here...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were staying at the west bay lodge and had some credit to use the spa... Glad we did that... I got a relaxation massage and the wife got a dep tissue Thai massage... Height marks for the entire experience.

New York City, New York
“Fixed my neck cramps!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I was taking my scuba diving courses in Roatan, and had quite severe neck aches from carrying some heavy equipment on the first day. I had happened to meet a woman named Celeste the previous evening, and she mentioned that she owns or leases to a spa and massage parlor -- what a stroke of luck that I remembered this! The massage therapist who worked on me was named Yamileth, pronounced like "Jamalette". I picked from a menu of aromas for the massage oil, and she had me change into a robe and store away my belongings in a personal locker.

I chose the 50 minute full-body massage, and let her know I needed extra attention on my neck and shoulder area. It was so sore that I couldn't even bend my head backwards, and actually had trouble sleeping too. Her hands were firm and very precise, she found the knots in my back and loosened them up after a session that lasted over an hour (she threw in an extra 10 minutes because she could tell I really needed it!)

I immediately felt the difference... My neck and shoulders were still sore but were much looser and i had regained some mobility. Yamileth also explained that she only worked on my neck for 15/20 minutes because working too much on a muscle could cause more damage than help. she suggested I come back the next day for just 10-15 minutes for neck and shoulder only.

That turned out to be the best decision ever. By the time I left my second massage appointment, I felt like a totally new person and had full mobility back in my neck. Not to mention... Yamileth told Celeste about my neck, and Celeste gave my scuba diving instructor a heads up to have somebody carry my equipment for me the next day! Amazing service and hospitality! They also have cute mani/pedi options and other spa services. Highly recommended, very friendly and worth every penny.

Ottawa, Canada
“Something for everyone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband, my daughters, and I took advantage of a wide variety of spa services, including the salt scrub massage combo, pedicures (with super-cute Christmas motifs), and papaya facials. It was an excellent and unique experience for everyone. The massages included a few stretches that really helped release the tension from doing many of the intense activities available on the island (e.g. zip-lining, scuba diving, and dune-buggy rides in the mountain). I wish I had squeezed another spa visit in before leaving for snowy Ottawa...next time.