“Bananarama provides an outstanding diving experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Bananarama Dive Center offers the full range of diving activities on the worlds' second largest barrier reef. Experienced staff, small groups and the best dive sites make diving with Bananarama an unforgettable experience.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Chicago
“Bananarama provides an outstanding diving experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

In spite of the somewhat off-putting name, Bananarama is a very well run dive shop. My wife, son and I spent six days diving with Mal and Marco and had a wonderful time. Both DMs were outstanding at tailoring dives to the experience and preferences of the divers. We highly recommend them.

Miami, FL
13 attraction reviews
“Great Dive Operation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

I have been diving for ten years and can only recommend this operation as one of the top. I dove recently with them while stopping by on a cruise stop at the island. I arranged the pick up before hand with the owner and had a great experience. Driver was waiting to take the entire group and the dive staff ready to take us on our scheduled dives, can not ask for better service. We were able to complete the dives and return to the ship within ample time, which is always an issue on cruises.

As for the dives the DM was Mal and he did a fine job with a brief before the dives along with pointing out interesting items underwater. He went slow as a guide and frequently checked on all members of the group, some with limited experience. The family enjoyed the beautiful beach during my 2 dives. Highly recommended dive operation and will be back soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
14 attraction reviews
“Bananarama Dive Shop Review - you can't top this team, but the Thirsty Turtle is a close second...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

So I put the hotel review under Island Pearl which is on the Bananarama property. I was so pleased with the overall Bananarama staff and the Dive resort team in particular; I needed to review it separately.

Diving was our primary reason for going to Roatan and for choosing Bananarama - the location seemed right, it appeared to have the best beach and the dive shop seemed to have the right level of experience and professionalism. All of these things proved to be exactly right. We actually ended up doing about 14 dives over 8 days. We booked a 10 pack to start with, and didn't intend to take any certs. An advanced course was offered when we checked in but wanted a few dives out of the way without any pressure (even if it's only imaginary pressure). Midway through we both decided we wanted to do the advanced open water cert anyway, cause we wanted to dive more and why not notch up to the next level anyway.

One of the reasons this worked was because the whole team made us feel comfortable and part of their extended family for a week. I know it’s tough in any part of the service industry when guests turn over every week if not every day in some cases, so it takes a great team not to get burnt out on that, and they understand their business well enough to know what people value. The groups were never more than 4 or 6 (or they would take out a second dive master). The equipment was well maintained, the dive shop itself is a main feature of the resort and not tucked away in a corner somewhere. The boats were always in good condition and the captains working with the DMs as a team – I always think that’s an important aspect of a successful dive shop. At the same time they also balanced safety with a relaxed pace - the last thing you want on a vacation is a stressful regimented approach with inflexible deadlines, or if you do, please go somewhere else  Our dives were with Marco and Sofia, but Mal, Martine, and indeed the other two DMs (I think they were part time) seemed great and friendly too.
A final note, the friendliness of the dive staff was matched only by the bar staff, especially after we’d been there a couple of days and they warmed up to who the regulars for the week would be !

pdx
3 attraction reviews
“Dive Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

Great dive shop. Went there with my open water referal , looking to do my open water dives. Mal and Marco were very accomodating as far as their schedule and flexibility. They are very knowledgeable and professional (well sort of).

Great place to go through for your dive experience. They took me out solo for a dive and then joined me up with 3 others who were going through their course as well.

Good people. Will go back again.

Portland, Oregon
“A great dive shop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2008

We stayed in West Bay for two weeks in 3/08 with our two college age kids who had back-to-back spring breaks. We were scuba certified just over 2 years ago and now get in about one scuba trip a year. I had read Roatan was a top dive spot, so we decided to give it a try.

It was a balancing act picking a place to stay and picking a dive shop. We generally avoid the isolated all-inclusive dive resorts. We may dive in the morning, but want to do other things in the afternoon and evening, and have a chance to explore the local environment. My kids particularly like a nice beach. So, we decided to stay in the West Bay area. I researched dive shops and found several in West Bay and many in West End. Banananarama looked like a good option (despite their corny name and turtle logo). We considered staying there, but they didn't have anything available to accommodate 4 people. So, I found a place at West Bay Village (see separate review) which was a 3 minute walk down the beach. And we did our diving with the Bananarama dive shop.

They were great - very competent and very accommodating. We dove almost every morning, and did several night dives as well. My son, daughter and I got Advanced Open Water and nitrox certified while my wife avoided the homework and did the fun dives. Wind came up in the middle of our stay, and they switched diving to the other side of the island. They were good at keeping track of where we had been to ensure we went to new places each time. We highly recommend any of the dive masters we went out with - Mal, Sophia, Marcos, Viv and Martin. On our last day, we moved to a different area of the island, and Mal drove over to drop off my daughter's temporary dive card.

I am sure we will be back to dive the Bananarama again.