“Best Restaurant in West Bay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Caribbean, Seafood, International, Dessert, Sushi
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Vintage Pearl Restaurant and Wine Cellar is located at the heart of West Bay Beach just steps from the turquoise sea of the Caribbean, on Roatan Island in the Bay of Honduras. Nestled in amidst the sea grape trees and white sand, you will find an intimate and romantic dining refuge at the Vintage Pearl. The wine cellar at the Vintage Pearl boasts of the largest wine collection on Roatan Island featuring selections from around the world.The chefs have more than twenty years of cooking experience in the Caribbean and offer a menu that changes daily as they prepare such delicacies as filet mignon, veal, duck, fresh fish, shrimp and lobster, creating a true pleasure to your palate.
North Las Vegas, Nevada
“Best Restaurant in West Bay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

They have by far the best food in West Bay right along the beach. The martinis were also amazing. I'd have to say they are nearly as good as some we have gotten at the Mandarin Oriental here in Las Vegas!

Chicago, Illinois
“Vintage Pearl is no diamond in the rough; this pearl needs a lot of polish”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were really excited to have dinner at Vintage Pearl for our last night on Roaton. We had a great week and the Pearl came highly recommended. We made a reservation on a Monday for our Friday dinner. Because the menu changes daily, we were assured the chef would accommodate my vegetarian diet. They do not always have a vegetarian option. I was assured that with a full week notice, the chef would be able to accommodate.

The Pearl generally offers a prix fix 3 course menu consisting of a soup or salad, a main and a dessert. The menu on the night we were there had two steak/meat options, a fish and a lobster risotto.

The Vintage Pearl ambiance is alright. You are required to remove your shoes, including flip flops. So, skip the fancy attire. It is an island after all. It is air conditioned though they do have outdoor seating. We opted for AC. It is a bit dark but electricity is at a premium on the island. The low light does not lend for a romantic ambiance.

When we made the RSVP, they seemed reasonably pleasant but the service and food fell far below our expectations. I will start with the food; specifically my food.

I refuse to refer to the person cooking in the kitchen as a chef anymore after seeing what took a week to develop. My “choice” was teriyaki vegetables over rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. Brilliant, right? I was thoroughly turned off but that was my only option. When the massive, family style platter of soupy mashed potatoes and bland looking vegetables doused in teriyaki sauce arrived, I was aghast. Denny’s could do better. Oh, they did put a Portobello mushroom on top. Because that is what was needed, more vegetables. The mashed potatoes were like a raft floating in a pool of sauce. I reluctantly ate a few bites and requested the rest be packaged to go. I would find a stray dog to feed it to. Which we did with both of our meals and when we returned the next day to where we left it, both meals were untouched.

My dining companion fared no better. She got the lobster risotto which was served, again, family style with a portion large enough to feed a small, third world country. While the taste was okay, the consistency was a turn off. She described it as thick and pasty enough to hold marble tile on a wall.

She had the minestrone soup and I had the house salad. Who in their right mind puts ground beef in minestrone is beyond me. I know it is sometimes prepared that way, but that should be the exception, not the rule. It hardly seemed to be fresh made. Can you say Sysco truck? I can get a better, more flavorful salad at Wendy’s.

We skipped dessert.

The wine list is an unimpressive collection with a heavy emphasis on California. Being so close to world class wine regions such as Chile and Argentina and you go with Cali is beyond me. They pulled a bait and switch on our first wine. They have two Rose’s and I ordered the one from Chile. They brought a different, more expensive wine. I did not catch that until the bill. My fault for not scrutinizing more. So much for trust. And the price points for the wine are USA standards. In toll, we dropped nearly $150 on one of the worst dining experiences we ever had. We refused to tip even the obligatory 10% island standard. We wrote a note on the receipt.

As we sat outside putting on our shoes, the manager came out and asked for our feedback about the receipt. We explained to him in detail our experience. He tried to make it right and in good faith, but it was too little, too late. Hopefully they can use the feedback to improve the overall experience. You are better off going to the Argentinean Grill up the beach or Java Vine around the corner (we were at both during the week).

With 5 days to develop a vegetarian option and the best the person cooking can do is mashed potatoes and vegetables, the person referred to as “chef” needs to consider a career change. Don’t waste your time or money.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wisconsin
“Good sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went at 2:00 for a late lunch and had their sushi and a bottle of wine. Rolls were priced normal what we would find at home. Great rolls with mango and sweet peppers, etc, like no other rolls we had. Excellent service!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We really enjoyed this. It was the most expensive meal but worth it. Different than any of the other restaurants. Worth the money.

Rockford, Illinois
“Great for a glass of wine and Appetizer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Enjoyed a glass of wine. Pricey, but worth it. Fabulous calamari - the best. Beautiful setting back off the beach; cool patio.