“Lovely food on previous occasions, not this time tho” 2 of 5 stars

+44 1457 874802
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rams Head Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 4 Restaurants in Denshaw
Cuisines: English
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: With fabulous moorland views this multi award-winning 450 year old Inn boasts roaring log fires, wonderful memorabilia and fresh imaginative first class food. Home produced aged steak, fabulous seafood and game tempt the palate, together with an excellent wine list, many by the glass. Exciting sandwiches and tasty light bites also feature on the regularly changing menu. Now with the addition of a farm shop / deli, visiting The Rams Head is a exciting day out!
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely food on previous occasions, not this time tho”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We have been to the Rams Head twice before and although the manager is quite unfriendly the food made up for it.

Not lat night. A foggy and snowy Saturday evening made us feel the need to stop for a good dinner on our long journey home to huddersfield from birmingham. We were shown to a table next to a lit fire, which seemed lovely. Until they put more coal on the fire. Smoke billowed out, hot coal popped off the fire and hit me, so we kept moving around the table away from the fire - which must have been obvious to the staff but they ignored it.

I ordered a small glass of wine which was huge, i did question it (as I was driving) but was told it was a small glass, however the price may say differently...

Our food came and I had the pheasant which I'd had previously and was gorgeous on that occasion. Not this time. The bread at the bottom was so hard you couldn't cut it, the pate looked like they had remembered at the last minute and scraped the remains of a pot, the pheasant was so overcooked you had to have a drink to get it down, and the bacon was very dry and overcooked. The apricots were lovely, as was the sauce and garnish.

I mentioned this to the waitress when she asked if everything was ok but she seemed disinterested and sent someone else back to the table to ask if we wanted dessert. After the fire and the food we didn't!

The manager I assume just takes a little while to come around, he's quite surly but we found on a previous occasion that if you ask him about his shell plates he gets quite animated!

I'm sorry Rams Head, after last nights service we won't be rushing to come again, which is sad as iv been raving about the food there and sending many people to try it out (I only hope they got better service and food!)

I will also email this review to them as over £40 for a couple of drinks and two mains is rather pricey to be this unhappy...

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
“Appalling customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My. Self and 4 of my oldest friends booked a table here for Sunday lunch as it was half way between where we all lived and being heavily pregnant I didn't want to travel to far. When we arrived they had just lit the coal fires which made the pub a little smokey as there was two of us pregnant and we had a you g baby with us we asked a waiter if we could have the window opened a little o let out some smoke. He tried o open it but it was broke which concerned me as it was the only opening window in the back room next to the kitchen bit of a fire hazard. Then my friend arrived with her baby in the push chair to be told by the manager that she would have o take it out as they get busy but the way he spoke to us was appalling he then rudely commented on us wanting the window open in February to which we explained as it was smokey and we had two pregnant women and a baby he was still not happy and complained that it was February and wouldn't be opening a window. He then rudely told us to put a 5 month old baby on the seats and take the pram out. We then decided to leave as we was not apply being spoke to like children we explained why we where not happy and was told to leave and never come back. We felt this was disgusting customer service and as married women with children felt like we where being treated as teenagers just because we wasn't in our 40s. I would not recommend this pub.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A Real Disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Not been in here for years but after a drive out decided to call in for Sunday lunch. The location is great, in the Saddleworth countryside, and the pub itself is really attractive, small cosy rooms and a really nice ambience. Unfortunately the food was a real disappointment. We paid £8.95 for a sunday roast. It looked good; but the beef was tough and stringy and was really difficult to eat. The roasted potatoes were so hard on the outside it was obvious they had been re-heated and again, really difficult to eat. It felt a real shame. It's a lovely pub and maybe we called on a not so good day.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
St6000, General Manager at The Rams Head Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Why take all the effort to write a bad review on here but when actually in the restaurant never mention anything so it can be sorted out and made perfect there and then. All tables are checked on each course, if there is a problem, this is the time to say! Why do you think we ask, we want your experience to be the best when you dine with us. It's no good leaving without saying anything then posting a negative review.
“Steeped in history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for a drink, and was very impressed with the bar area and open fire. An Inn with a lot of character. I took a look at the extensive menu, and decided that this was a place I wanted to visit for a meal in the future. Well worth a visit if only for a drink.

Heckmondwike, England, United Kingdom
“Walker Family Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our food was beautiful. Would definitely recommend it. Will be sure to return to the Rams head for another lovely meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere