“Wonderful food and service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Masset, Canada
“Wonderful food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was disappointed to read the previous scathing review of Charters. I have visited Charters at least a dozen times since it has opened and can honestly say I have never had a bad experience. Mike the chef is very talented and his desire to create new dishes ensures there menu is constantly changing. A relief for a frequent visitor such as myself. The food is always well cooked and the desserts are fantastic. The prices in my view are reasonable, especially considering the higher prices faced by a restaurant in such a remote location. I would love to see a more diverse wine list myself, and in regards to local wines, as pointed out earlier, there are no 'local' wines on the list. I have always experienced friendly and professional service from the waitstaff. I hope people continue to visit this fine establishment and are not put off by one negative review. I will be back.

Visited August 2013

Delta, Canada
“An Exceptional Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My daughter & I enjoyed an outstanding dinner at Charters...succulent halibut, a brilliant seafood chowder & a Bison Burger like no other. And the chocolate mousse was out of this world. Reservations are recommended in summer.

Visited August 2013
Queen Charlotte, BC
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This restaurant, as another reviewer remarked is a "Hidden Gem". I had to shake my head when I read one very recent review by an L.R.
I've also travelled (literally) around the world and visited (and eaten) in over 35 countries at last count.
Haida Gwaii is lucky to have a 5 star chef chose to relocate here for the lifestyle as he could clearly have his pick of work in major centres.
His creations vary from week to week and he clearly spends time preparing new creations. For example, I've had (perfectly roasted) Halibut served perched on three home made crab-stuffed tortelini, with a smoked salmon sauce and topped with prawn puff (sorry, the name for this creation currently escapes me) shaped like an olympic torch. All at a very reasonable price, given the cost of importing groceries, propane, etc to Haida Gwaii.
The wines are more than adequate for meal accompaniment. (I'm not sure what the previous reviewer means by 'The local wine is appalling'. There is, actually NO local wine on Haida Gwaii (aside from U-brew) and BC wines can vary from barely adequate to superb.
I suspect that the previous reviewer's rant was based on the kind of day she was having and suggest that one lend more credence to the vast majority of reviews which have, from what I can see, been, in a word, superb.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, Canada
“Great Food & Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining at Charters restaurant recently, the ever changing menu with such entrees as Lamb Shank, Ostrich Burger, & Bison Tenderloin is exquisite. The service was excellent & knowledgeable. This restaurant is notably run with passion & talent, it's nice when visiting these islands to stumble across a gem such as this. I can sum up my experience at CHARTERS WITH SIMPLY ONE WORD EXCELLENT!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Not much competition”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Charters restaurant gets high ratings because there is virtually no competition in Masset. The food is highly priced and "adequate". Makes me wonder if the chefs have heard of seasonings. I went there last week for a very special birthday, which was ruined by the rudest server I have ever encountered on my world travels. The local wine is appalling and the restaurant should be embarrassed to offer it to customers. I would NEVER go back there.

• Visited August 2013