“One week stay at the Hilten” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rapid Richie's Rustic Rentals

Rapid Richie's Rustic Rentals
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Masset
Rapid Richie's Rustic Rentals
You added Rapid Richie's Rustic Rentals to your Saves list
Box 667, Masset, British Columbia VOT 1MO, Canada   |
“One week stay at the Hilten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2015

Comfortable, private, and beautiful accommodation close to the ocean. Toni was welcoming and informative and provided everything we needed for the week, including drinking water, towels, toilet paper, firewood, etc. We came for a relaxing and peaceful trip away from home and we got exactly that! We were able to rent bikes from the neighbour for fun but we highly recommend having a vehicle for your stay as many attractions as well as grocery stores are a ways away. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

I was very impressed with Rapid Richies. Toni ( owner) was great she even took me into town as I had problems securing a vehicle, which I would say is a must for this vacation. At first, I was kinda dissapointed about this because there is so much to see, I will note I was dissapointed that the biike rental she told me about was acceptable but the tires were flat.... I enjoyed going to the nature reserve and also hiking the beach it is such a breathtaking place. Would love to stay there again the Hilten is a great cabin.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A friend and I just returned from a 3 night stay in the Hilten Cabin at Rapid Richie's. This cabin was awesome! Absolutely everything you can need is provided right down to kindling ready to go for the wood burning stove. There is no electricity but there are two gas lamps provided that easily light up the entire cabin. A gas stove and oven are available and running water from a rain barrel. There is also fresh drinking water and all the plates, pots, pans, etc. that you need. There is an outhouse right out back and it is the cleanest outhouse I've ever seen. There is a solar shower out front that is in a lovely cedar room with lots of privacy. We just heated a pot of water and filled it that way, and enjoyed hot showers that way. The walk to the beach is less than 2 minutes, just a quick walk down a path at the end of the cabin drive and then you literally have miles, and miles of beautiful sandy beach. We roasted salmon and veggies on a campfire on the beach and enjoyed the crashing waves totally undisturbed. I think we maybe saw 3 people on the beach the entire time. There is a lovely little porch that you can sit on at the cabin and that overlooks the ocean, and when it gets too chilly, the kitchen window offers the same vista. We really enjoyed this cabin and our stay. I recommend you ride a bike to Tow Hill and have a picnic on the beach, and also stop by the Moon over Nainkoon (sp?) bakery that is just 3 minutes down the road from the cabin.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was very happy with my stay at Rapid Richie's rustic rentals. I stayed in the Agate cabin. It was excellent. The kitchen gave me lots of room to cook. I really enjoyed having a living room and the bed was very comfortable. I particularly liked that I was very close to the beach but I was also very private and secluded. For me it gave the best of both worlds.

Toni, the owner, was very helpful advising me where to go and what to do. She even lent me equipment to go and catch crabs which included waders, a net and gloves. Also she gave me advice on where to shop, local attractions, local festivals and really helped me find fun things to do in Haida Gwaii. Having a great friend and advisor like Toni made a big difference in my enjoyment in Haida Gwaii.

Rapid Richie's is a great location to access Tow Hill, Masset and the beaches. There is a terrific bakery that you can walk to run by Wendy who does wonderful sweets and coffee. Her cinnamon buns are famous.

Toni introduced me to Wolfgang who runs u-peddle haida gwaii. He took me on a super trip up and down a tide river called Chown river by paddle boat. Also he has peddle driven go carts that I rented. They were great fun especially for children or a group. Wolfgang really enjoys tourists and has a wealth of local information.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I spent the last week of April and the month of May in the Waldorf at Rustic Rentals - right on the beach with heavenly views of the waves, sun, and spectacular sunsets. It was light until nearly 11 at night, and each sunset was unique and awe inspiring. I drifted to sleep watching the sunset fade and awoke to the sound of surf and birds singing. The beach is to die for and there's a fabulous bakery a 10 minute walk up the beach. I felt secluded with a vast sandy-white beach almost to myself. The cabin is extremely comfortable and has everything you need to cook with, including a French Press for coffee. Lights and range are fueled by propane. This cabin was very roomy, a great feature when various family members visited. Waking up and going to sleep with those incredible views will be a memory I will never relinquish! Nearby hiking is spectacular. The hostess, Toni, is extremely helpful and will provide supplies, recommendations, and history of the area and events. She'll even show you how to make a proper fire in the wood stove! She goes out of her way to accommodate her guests and is a true reflection of the wonderful people of Haida Gwaii. This experience is a must for any beach lover, adventurous traveler, or those in need of a real break!

Room Tip: The Zendo is perfect for one or two and the Waldorf easily sleeps up to six. These beautiful cabins...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I cannot say enough about how helpful and hospitable Toni was from our first conversation over the phone to welcoming us when we arrived (at 11pm!) and hooking us up with an awesome local guide. Three good buddies from Ontario in our late 20s, we wanted to pick chanterelle mushrooms, surf the beach outside our back door and relax with good food, drink, music and company. We got everything we wanted and more during the four nights we spent at the Waldorf.
There was a low hanging fog along the entirety of North Beach/ Tow Hill for nearly half the time we were there, but the sunsets were incredible and we were didn't get a drop of rain! The cabin has everything up to 6 people could need, but I would definitely recommend bringing an air mattress if there are more than four people/two couples.
If you're planning a trip to Haida Gwaii and want a private beach front experience like none other, call Toni cause this is the place. The three of us are extremely well-traveled, with experiences in every category of accommodations from 5-star to dirty hostels across the globe. After four nights here, and exploring and hanging with the locals in Masset and Port Clements, we all agreed this was in the top 3 vacations any of us had been on.
If you have the opportunity, do yourself a favour and spend a few days here. Thanks again to Toni, a gracious and very accommodating host! A big thank you as well to Mike, owner of the surf shop who dropped off/picked up gear at our cabin for a great price, and even went out of his way to pick us up some extra beer!

• Stayed October 2012
Prince George, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I stayed for a week in the Waldorf Cabin on North Beach Haida Gwaii. We had stayed on the same beach the year earlier with a different outfit (North Beach Rentals). This cabin was not as well suited for two adults and a 13 year old and an 8 year old in so far a sleeping arrangements were concerned. Our 8 year old sun opted to sleep on the floor on a blow up as opposed to sleep on the futon wiht his sister. Any cabin on this beach is equipped decently. Running water for dishes is provided by a rain water gavity system (non-potable) the cabin has a private outhouse (though we were not allowed to throw TP down the hole but rather had to bag and burn it) Gas stove and lanterns. Fireplace with lots of wood to split for the fire. The beach and view,,,,,wow but you get that at any beach cabin on this strip. On our previous trip with North Beach the cabin came equiped with all that you needed to go crabbing and clam hunting. Our most recent cabin however did not and we ended up just purchasing chest waders in Masset. I packed the potable water to our cabin from a collection site up the beach (after picking a bottle that was in the best-worst condition). Cabin came with three rolls of TP. It was more convenient to jsut buy our own from Masset than try to track down the owner for more. The real sticking point for us however was that we booked th cabin before we booked the ferry and as such discovered only later that our check out date conflicted with the ferry schedule. When inquiring about changing our booking due to this circumstance we were not met with a sympathetic ear but rather were told that due to the season being slow we would be responsible for that night`s lost business...though if noone was coming anyways then how we impacted business is still beyond me. The amazing experience of Haida Gwaii should not be missed and for us at least, we will most likely book with North Beach Cabins in the future as our preferred choice.

Room Tip: Waldorf is on the beach and has amazing views, but so too do other outfits such as North Beach and A...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rapid Richie's Rustic Rentals? Share your experiences!