“Excellent italian restaurant in ST-LAMBERT...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent italian restaurant in ST-LAMBERT...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

For some reason, this restaurant is listed as being in Longueuil...but the reality is that it is on Green avenue, right in the heart of Saint-Lambert.
It offers excellent and elaborate, albeit somewhat pricey, italian meals and an interesting wine list which is also somewhat pricey. On the other hand, it also offers excellent pizzas at resonnable prices, so that you can enjoy a family dinner without breaking the bank. My wife and I have eaten several times over the years at Primi Piatti and we have never been dissapointed.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Montreal, Canada
“Surprisingly good Italian food on the south shore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Since I travel to Italy regularly, I rarely eat Italian food prepared in Canada because it often fails to deliver the quality I experienced.

What a delightful surprise to enjoy a meal out with a business colleague at Primi Piatti. The location is very well appointed. The atmosphere is quiet because sound is dampened by the decor. Service is both polite and efficient, without being pretentious or overbearing.

The food was wonderful - fresh pasta (the squash stuffed ravioli was almost as good as found in the north of Italy), the ragù was flavourful with a smooth blend of flavours making it ideal for cleanup with bread. The portions were generous, and we couldn't fit in a secondi (which makes sense given the name of the restaurant!).

The desserts were more Québecois than Italian, but that's a good thing considering that in Italy dessert is typically salad, fruit, and cheese :-)

The only unusual thing was the warm bread with butter. Don't get me wrong, it was great bread, it just wasn't what I expected since bread in Italy is typically used to "clean up the sauce" remaining on a plate rather than as an appetizer - so by the time one gets to "use" the bread, it wouldn't be warm.

Ultimately, the rating of the restaurant is based on this:
Will I go back? definitely
Will I recommend it to friends? without hesitation
Would I drive from the island of Montreal? yes

Other considerations (not germane to the rating)
Would I bring children? no
Would I bring a romantic date? absolutely

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“My experience..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Went last night with my husband. Loved the personalized service. We wanted to split our salad and pizzas and they actually did it for us. Brought the plates already with food splited. Nice touch! The wine is expensive. I had the Primmi Piatti pizza; very good. Hubby has the San Danielle, 20$ pizza, we found that they were not generous on toppings. Overall a nice experience.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Uneven service should be smoothed out, but pretty good food overall”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I was there in June, for a business dinner. Someone else paid, for a big group, so we had personalized service and I am sure it was $$.

I went there with my wife in July for the personal diner experience and was disappointed. Our waiter essentially abandoned us and took VERY GOOD CARE of a group on the outdoor patio. Never came back to check on us, how was the food, etc. We were served by THE BUSBOY. How do I know it was the busboy? The uniforms are different and he was cleaning up later. When the waiter came back, he had no idea what we had ordered (it was the table d'hote) and forgot the coffee, dessert, etc. He needed reminding.

The food itself was still good, although the seafood dish was uneven, so not as memorable as last time.

The trio of creme brulee was so-so. Bread at the beginning was cold and the butter was rock hard.

Overall, I would rate the personal dining experience as "OK", but they failed quite horribly for service.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Primi Piatti Delicious!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I recently had dinner at Primi Piatti in St. Lambert and was presently surprised! I ordered the medallions of fois gras that were just delicious! My husband had a Cioppino of seafood that was also delicious. The wines are a little on the expensive side although the food makes up for it. I will definately return soon.

• Visited March 2012