“Could have been much better!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Montreal
“Could have been much better!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011 via mobile

We live in St-Lambert so we were delighted to discover a new place. Upon arrival we were very impressed, the place looks fantastic. We also sat at the quiet table beside the cellar which was perfect for our wedding anniversary, so far so good.
The service was fine, but nothing special, very transactional. The young man dropping of the plates must have been having a bad day because he was basically dumping them as if our table was the dish pit. No quality check on the food either. If there had been one I would have returned my fish and chips.

With so many alternatives in St-Lambert and Montreal, I don't think I'll be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Montreal, Canada
“Best meal I have ever had.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

I had been wanting to try this new place in Saint-Lambert since its opening last fall, and finally made it in for dinner last week. I work as a chef in the restaurant business, and cook my own meals at home, so I find that I am more often disappointed with restaurant meals. Food cooked for me just does not live up to my expectations - until now. Welcome to Bidon, a restaurant specializing in rustic bistro cuisine done with fresh local ingredients. It's gastronomical comfort food!
Our waiter, Jean-Michel, was both polite and entertaining, conversing in excellent French and English with us. We sat towards the back of the cozy restaurant, to the side of the well-stocked wine cellar, in a quiet little corner away from other patrons. If that's what you're looking for, ask for table 51.
Dinner was SUPERB. There's just no other way to describe it. We started with tomato soup - slightly spicy and tasting of fresh-from-the-garden fruit, with croutons and mozzarella, served rustic-style in a Mason jar - just the thing to warm us up on the chilly night in question.
Next, we chose a foie gras en torchon, with sweet figs and thin toast crips. It was so creamy and luscious, like a cake frosting in texture, and paired perfectly with the fruit. We took our time enjoying it, and I had to restrain myself from licking the plate when the waiter came to clear it!
For dinner, I chose Sea Bream on a creamy carrot puree with sauteed spinach and tomatoes. The fish was perfectly seasoned, with crispy pan-fried skin, and its saltiness paired perfectly with the sweetness of the carrots. The vegetables were fresh also perfectly seasoned. My boyfriend had a duck leg confit atop a barley risotto with mushrooms, and was absolutely in love with the dish. The duck was tender and flavorful, and the risotto rich and rustic - the perfect accompaniment to the meat.
We finished up the meal with a cheese platter, chosen by our waiter according to our preferences and supplied by the neighboring cheese shop, L'Echoppe - a nice touch and a nod to the diversity of the shops in the village.
The only negative point of the entire dinner was dessert. Sadly, the hazelnut and Frangelico creme brulee was lackluster and seemed undercooked. Next time, I'd likely stick to ending the dinner at the cheese course. Coffee was good, and a customary trip to the restrooms proved them to be clean and nicely decorated, with posters of milk cans ("bidons") on the stall doors.
All in all, a 5 star dinner, and an excellent way to spend an evening. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited May 2011