“Who would have guessed?” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Sundridge
Etobicoke
“Who would have guessed?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Lived in the area over 50 years and never been to this place ... My loss!

Plates were huge, tasted great and the value was incredible including the Austrian beer. I can only recall a meal this nice in Waterloo at the Heidelburg. Yes, the exterior is a little rough, Wilfred is a one man band and the service a tad slow ... but worth every minute. You ARE in cottage country so relax and take in the fresh air ... And most of all ... Enjoy!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hamilton, Canada
“Austrian Hidden Gem located in the heart of Ontario”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

From the outside, it appears a little need of paint (The Steirerhut Restaurant is located in one of the oldest buildings from Sundridge in 1882) but do not be turned away from enjoying authentic Austrian and European food. We were greeted at the door by the owner. We decided to try the Hopf Wheat beer from Austria and a glass of the house wine. My spouse ordered the classic Wiener Schnitzel that came with Potato Salad Vienna Style. I order the Zigeuner Schnitzel which was a Plain Schnitzel topped with our home made Gypsy sauce and fluffy Nockerl (a kind of noodles) beside. Both meals were large and I could not finish my meal (a first for me) so I was unable to sample any desserts (I love the Austrian pastries). The restaurant has a kid's menu for the picky eaters who will not try European food. It is worth getting off Highway 11 and take a detour into Sundridge. Considering that we had 2 large portioned meals and 2 drinks and our bill was under $50, this is a bargain and we will be back when we return to this area.

PS: Don't forget to say hello to "Gladys"

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burlington
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

When you drive up to the Steirerhut on "old" highway 11 you may be scared away by its exterior appearance which badly needs a new coat of paint and some landscaping. Not quite as well kept as I remember it when I used to dine there with my parents about 50 years ago on our way to North Bay. But if you can get by its look and go inside you will find that while it is not fine dining from an ambiance perspective it is a good clean family dining setting complete with a deer skin mounted on the wall. From a food perspective it is fine dining with the lunch Vampire Schnitzel(Garlic based to keep away vampires and blackflies according to the owner) some of the best schnitzel we have ever had(and we consider ourselves schnitzel aficionados). The schnitzel was tender, the sauce tasty and the accompanying potatoes and vegetables done to perfection. The service was attentive and timely. Wilfred(who is a one man show based on previous reviews) did a very good job considering he alone was trying the cook for and serve 14 people in the restaurant at lunch time. The price is also right with the lunchtime Vampire Schnitzel less than $9

If you are headed north (or south) it is worth the trip off the new 4 lane bypass of Sundridge to visit Wilfred at the Steirerhut for Schnitzel

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ontario
“Excellent food, atmosphere and service from one man!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Our family travelled to Sundridge for a get together with actual winter snow and to enjoy some excellent schnitzel. This was my first time there, but the rest of the family goes at least once a year when travelling north. I enjoyed an excellent vampire schnitzel (lots of garlic!). The owner, Wilfred, prepared all the food himself, as well as serving us. It was great service and good food. Our family enjoyed a nice dinner together.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Whitby, Canada
“Great restaurant, excellent Austrian/German food, exquisite service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I haven’t rated online any restaurant before, I’m not disciplined enough to review all the hotels I’ve been to, but this is such a gem and so much harder now to discover (a new true freeway section just opened, Hwy 11 doesn’t overlap with Sundridge Ontario St. anymore) that I’ve decided to write one.
We discovered Steirerhut in August while driving to North Bay, looking for a good schnitzel. We liked the restaurant and found a number of other menu items we’d like, especially the pork hocks – a 24-hour notice is required. When deciding to make a weekend trip to the Magnetawan area we put this (high priority, not joking) on our list; Wilfried quickly answered our email request and all was set for a great Saturday dinner.
It’s been a great experience, both high quality food and very large portions – we didn’t want to share one (hadn’t noticed it’s 3-pound each, with less than 25% bone...) so we got pretty large doggy bags for home too.
I highly recommend Steirerhut, the only “negative” for us it’s the distance: 250 Km each way from our place, too far away for a daytrip but we’d try to eat here again whenever travelling in the area.
P.S. If you're from Central/Eastern Europe look at the menu pictures, you might find well-known items under a different name from home (except, of course, the universal schnitzel).

• Visited October 2011