“A Nice Atmosphere for a Relaxing Meal” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 9 restaurants in Espanola
Cuisines: Pizza
Nanaimo, Canada
“A Nice Atmosphere for a Relaxing Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have eaten at the Cortina several times over several years when in the area and were saddened to learn it had been destroyed by fire. Now it is back with a nicer design, good service and nicely prepared and served food. The restaurant is spotlessly clean.

During our most recent visit, my wife and I enjoyed dinner with a friend I hadn't seen since our college days. We had a booth at the rear of the restaurant. We all enjoyed our food, beverages, conversation and attentive, friendly service from our waitress Julie throughout the evening that began at 6:00 and ended at 10:00. We never felt rushed and had a fun experience

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Espanola, Canada
“Solid Go To Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Cortina is a guaranteed fill your belly place with predictable food. They do basics and they do them well. You get what you pay for and you get it fast.

Visited December 2012
Massey, Ontario
“Great new interior. Food wasn't exceptional. Lousy music. No mints.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife, son and I love the new interior design of the new restaurant. We were greeted at the door and saw the waitress enough during the start of our meal but, when we wanted refills and, at the end, wanted to pay we had to get up and go to the bar to seek her out. Even then, the other waitress had to go into the back to find her. We were the only ones in the restaurant and assumed we would be getting top-notch service!

The caesar salad was delicious. The bread was fresh (I wanted more) but the rest of the food, the pizza, was nothing exceptional. I rate my dining experiences on the "could I make this at home" scale. From "with my eyes closed...why am I paying for this" to "not in my life...what a culinary treat" I would rate Cortina's with a "meh, I could do better".

Would I go back? If I was with friends, sure, but not with family when all of them know we could make better meals at home for a fraction of the cost.

Three other complaints:
-the music was HORRIBLE. Schmalzy, sacrine pop music that all sounded the same.
-the rule of all Italian restaurants with garlic...offer mints! There is never a mint in the place.
-offer crayons and colouring books to five year olds

Positive:
-comfortable and clean

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Espanola, Canada
“New & Improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Generous servings nice presentation good service & a friendly staff. The new decor was very well done

Visited May 2012
Elliot Lake, Canada
“Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

The wife and I are from Elliot Lake and and go to Espanolia shopping at least once or twice a month and have done so for years. We had always just drove past the Cortina without ever really noticing it. Since there fire and renovations, it looks amazing and stands out as a real quality, clean, upscale restaurant. We definatly took notice and wanted to try it out! We were quite impressed that the interior was just as attracttive as the outside. The food was good and the ambience was great. We Will definatly go back again.

• Visited September 2012