“Traveler Beware; If you voice a complaint you'll be rudely treated...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pinewood Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Espanola
Pinewood Motor Inn
378 Centre St, Espanola, Ontario P5E 1G3 , Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Espanola
Jacksonville, Florida
“Traveler Beware; If you voice a complaint you'll be rudely treated...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

My husband and I closed up camp after our two week work vacation where we roofed and painted, doing major repairs on our family vacation cabin. Espanola, Ontario is our community and has been for over 44 years. We'd spent almost 14 hours that day closing camp up with no electricity,no indoor plumping, no running water. We were hot and tired and had a 2 day,17 hour,1000 mile trip home before us with a 17 month old baby. All day all we thought of was how wonderful our showers, dinner and clean air conditioned room would feel when we arrived at the Pinewood Motor Inn. The restaurant closes at the Pinewood at 9pm so we hurried to check-in deciding to take our showers after eating as it was now almost 8:30pm. (There had been a fire across the street at our favorite restaurant, Cortina's and the KFC had burnt to the ground along with it. So the Pinewood restaurant was really our only choice that evening.) I was looking forward to a nice salad along with my Salmon and I had learned before that the restaurant breaks down the salad bar before 9pm and even though they are serving dinner and the salad is included in your dinner charge, you will not get a salad, nor a credit nor even offered a substitute. This is a regular practice for the restaurant. I know because we stayed the summer of 08 for 2 1/2 weeks at the Inn eating almost every meal in the restuarant and this was a common occurance. Except for this dissatisfaction over the salad bar, we had been pleased with our stay heretofore. This evening was entirely different! After returning to our room to shower and fall into bed from sheer exhaustion we had a very unpleasant experience. I knew my husband had the brunt of the days work upon him so I offered him the shower first while I got the baby ready for bed. His crib was a Graco colapsable bed and took some doing getting it unpacked and then set up and made. After getting the baby settled down and asleep, my husband was out of the shower and it was now my turn. All the room lights were turned off; no TV or radio running, only the room air conditioner and bathroom light were on and I went to take my shower now at almost 11 pm. All of the sudden the power went out and the bathroom was completely pitch dark black! I was terrified being in a strange place, not being able to see, concerned that something was seriously wrong-- my first thought was the baby's safety. I began hollering from the bathroom to awaken my husband. He stumbled around trying to wake from a deep sleep and get to me. After attempting to turn the room lights on and learning he couldn't he opened the door to the hall and saw that the hall lights were working and helped me out of the bathroom. He immediately then called to the front desk informing them that there was no electricity in room 22. The desk clerk said, "Oh No!, not again!" He then went on to explain to my husband that the exact same thing had happened a week earlier to another customer staying in this exact same room! He said that they couldn't find out what the trouble was then but that he would go and check the circuit breaker. When he appeared at our door he apologized and said that he checked the breaker and the switch had not been tripped. His only recourse was to offer to move us into another room on the other side of the building. This was not our ideal plan for the evening-- waking a sleeping infant, completely taking apart his pack and play crib, trying to find all our things to repack our suitcases in a dark room after 11:30 pm now...but what choice did we have? Our fear that there was something wrong now with the electical system in that particular room hung heavily over our minds. The clerk clearly stated again that this same thing happened the week before in this very same room. So we woke the baby, took apart his crib, (it was too wide to slide through the door, we tried!) and prayed that we were able to find all our belongings in the dark room to move to the next room and try to resettle for what was left of the night. I recognized the balding manager, Mr. Mascioli at the end of the hall with a flash light and a dark windbreaker on as I moved between the rooms making three trips moving our belongings. I had met the manager on another occassion when we stayed at the Pinewood when the motel was changing out the bed mattresses and he had been pleasant at that meeting. This evening I found it very disconcerting that he did not address us in any way. I thought he should have offered us his assistance in moving our belongings, or at the very least, offered his condolences for the inconvenience. None were offered, nor did he even acknowledge us other than to watch as we left room 22 to move to room 7. The next morning the desk clerk said to my husband,"We are working on your bill now and the manager has authorized a $20 discount!" When the clerk turned the bill around to show my husband he saw where the bill had been increased from the evening before to $20 more to give him the $20 off! My husband pointed out to the clerk the bill had been changed, she agreed and said, "Oh the night clerk charged you too little!" My husband then inquired of the clerk that if Room 22 has blown the circuit breaker two seperate times, had an electrician been called to check this problem? He was told that the Fire Marshall had just been there. My husband then replied that maybe the Fire Marshall should be called to return and look specifically at Room #22. He was then told by the clerk that she did not know how to get in touch with the Fire Marshall, didn't know where his office was nor his phone number to even call him. The desk clerk could not offer any help or peace of mind for our concern whatsoever. Skip forward ten days to two weeks later and we receive a letter in the mail from the manager at the Pinewood Inn, Mr. [--]. He tearsly and insultingly suggests that we enjoy our vacation instead of trying to get a further discount, (which we never asked for at all.) Our entire concern was electical failure and the safety of ourselves and others at the Pinewood Inn. Not so far fetched when Mr. [--] only need to look out his front door at the ruins of Cortina's, the Law office and KFC to see where fires had started in the middle of the night. I would think that it would be in a motel managers furthermost thoughts to put his customers safety at the front of his heart. Instead he writes us a letter insulting us. All I can offer is Traveler Beware of the Pinewood Inn.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed at the Pinewood over the Canada Day Weekend 2011 and found that the suite was clean and spacious and at a very good rate of ~$95.per night. The room had all of the amenities such as internet access.

We had a problem with the Bathroom Electrical Outlet and housekeeping had it fixed within 15 minutes. Daily housekeeping was fully satisfactory.

We also held a family breakfast/lunch at the hotel restaurant for 11 people and found the food very good and the service was excellent.

We recommend staying at this Motor Inn.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the suites, reasonably modern and spacious.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
barrie, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

I have for some years been a regular at Pinewood in Espanola, and have recommended the place to all family and business associates and to those working for us. Staying there guarantees a good night's sleep after the long drive from the south, and it ensures safety because to drive from Espanola to Manitoulin and across Manitloulin at night, is dangerous due to the incredible night-time deer volumes on the roads. I have met the owner, Mario, who is an alert and conscientious northern business guy. The price of the rooms represent really good value. The beds are sealed units, the bedding clean and fresh, and the washrooms, spotless and towels etc. are fresh and fluffy. They have a great bar and restaurant, and the location is handy to everything in town, and it is easy to find. I have travelled the world, and I use the Trip Advisor services as a guide. I noticed a nasty negative review of this hotel, and I believe that from time to time people will use Trip Advisor for a weapon in a one-sided experience which may be seriously misdescribed. I thus just feel that I owe it to this little hotel to say that I and my business associates and family, depend on the PInewood in Espanola, and their cheerful staff. They have indeed earned our respect, and it is obvious to me that this establishment has a reputation for value and service which is made evident by their occupancy numbers. The place is never empty. People go there, eat or have a drink, get a good night's sleep, and in the morning, move on. I know that the majority are repeat customers. Thus, to anyone reading the reviews on this hotel, I can assure you that you will not find better value in a clean night's accommodation on a comfortable bed in a super clean and friendly environment, than at the Pinewood. They are the model of Northern Ontario Hospitality at it's best, and a successful small business which wears their pride every day, made evident in the manner in which the staff conduct their daily activities, and treat the public. Congratulations to the owners and staff. They are a team to be sure...and a good one to remember when you are heading north along #17 highway, or heading to the Manitoulin. I prefer the good night's sleep at Pinewood to playing a virtual reality "Don't HIt The Deer" game by driving onto the island at night. Ah...added note...the food too is good value for the dollar!

Room Tip: The best room is the last one! Phone and pre-book!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

First of all we checked in and we could hear the owner yelling at an employee in the office. Second we go to our room only to find a number of things that weren't clean. A visible stain on the comforter that looked like pee. Crumbs on the floor between the beds and a dirty towel in the bathroom. There were hairs in the tub and on the floor.
We went to the front desk only to find out the owner was now gone . We left a note with the front desk for the owner to speak with us and he never did. The bed was hard as a rock and the blankets stunk so we used the sheet only.Spent $80 on a room that smelled and was dirty.....NOT WORTH IT

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Pinewood Motor Inn? Share your experiences!