“Best decision for accommodation we'd made” 5 of 5 stars

Upto 20% discount
Ranked #1 of 15 Tulbagh B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Durbanville
“Best decision for accommodation we'd made”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

We spent three days at the Tulbagh hotel for honeymoon. It was lovely. I loved that the hotel was big enough for you to feel private, but small enough for the staff to know you by name. We had spesific dietary requirements, and they met all of them happily. We loved that everything was walking distance, that we could sit and play boardgames in the courtyard and leasurely drink wine and eat dinner in the restaurant and order dessert to come up to our room rather. Everybody was fantastic! We'd definitely return. Rent the bicycles to go for ride, go cheese and chocolate tasting and then end the day with a great steak in the hotel's restuarant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

Stunning room - neat and tidy. Very romantic and relaxing bath. Friendly staff. Excellent breakfast. Coming back very soon again!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

It's the second time I've stayed at the Tulbagh Boutique Hotel on business. I would strongly recommend this establishment to anyone who is looking for a break in the country. There's a restaurant at the hotel itself so there's no need to drive. Great food and wine at very reasonable prices one can afford. There's also Tulbagh Winery just up the road, wine tasting at it's best. All rooms are fully equiped with everything you need, percale bedding and white towls for me is very important, I'm a sucker for luxury! The staff are very friendly and helpful. It's always a pleasure for me returning to the hotel after a hard day's work out in the area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

The best thing about the Tulbagh Hotel is its location and probably it's historical value. I expected a whole lot more from a rated 4-star hotel. I doubt I'd give it 3-stars even. There are hotel rooms in the main building and rooms opposite - other side of the street. We were booked into the 'honeymoon suite' (even though we're friends and not partners?). But if this was my honeymoon I'd ask my money back for this room. Red walls, Reno style motel light fittings, an open shower with no door or railing. The room was extremely cold and when we asked for extra blankets or duvets we were told there were none left. How can a hotel run out of warm blankets in Winter? Earlier in the afternoon we had a drink at the bar and ordered Biltong Pate (R40) - what I got was 3 small pieces of rock hard bread and a few drops of Pate. Shocking to say the least.
Breakfast was just as unimpressive - for a luxury hotel you expect more than roasted cereal and a very basic English breakfast.
Next time I go to Tulbagh I'd rather stay in a Guesthouse.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

Tulbagh is a small historic town set amid stunning countryside and a mountainous 'bowl'. Set on the Tulbagh's high street, the Hotel is unassuming yet exudes charm & warmth; it's tree covered patio area is a fantastic place to sit, unwind from your journey and observe town life as you take stock and 'get your bearings'. The Staff were warm, friendly and worked incredibly hard to ensure we were comfortable and well catered for. Liana is a fantastic source of local knowledge and helped plan our itinerary during our all too brief stay(I can especially recommend the Krone Vineyard and its superb fizz!). Most of our group stayed in the cottage. It offered 3 beautiful double rooms(including 1 twin room), kitchen, dining room and private garden with a pool & BBQ. Local supermarkets are just a few metres away for supplies if required. The cottage was decorated to a very modern & high standard and the 'Welcome Basket' a very nice touch! The cottage was a fantastic option that allowed our group to relax, socialise & enjoy our stay in private and thus, without disturbing others in the Hotel. We enjoyed lunch, dinner & breakfast in the Hotel and the food was to a very high standard. For anyone wishing to explore South Africa and its Winelands, I can not recommend Tulbagh more highly. The picturesque views as you drive to/from Cape Town are worth the journey alone! However, the incredible selection of local wineries set amid this stunning landscape are a must see and the Tulbagh Hotel with it's incredible selection of rooms/cottage is the perfect location from which to base yourselves. I for one, am looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
UL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

After traveling around some small towns and vineyards, we stumbled across the Tulbagh hotel. Situated right on the hight street was this charming classic hotel. The staff are charming and really couldn't do enough, their friendly manner really did make the stay one of our best in SA. The rooms were classically restored with a huge bath, perfect for a lazy soak after a hard days wine tasting. I will probably come back to visit Tulbagh and will most definitely be staying here again, a really lovely place !

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Overberg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

My husband and I had an absolutely fabulous stay at the Tulbagh Hotel in March. Though is was very, very hot there that time of year, we had a very comfortable stay in our large aircondittioned room. We had breakfast and dinner at their restaurant, best Fillet Steak I have ever had!
I would reccomend the stay to even the most pickiest of travelers!!
Thank You Liana and staff for a very relaxing time.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tulbagh Hotel? Share your experiences!