“Breathtaking!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jukkasjarvi
Wales
“Breathtaking!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

Our trip was booked with Oliver at Robert Broad Travel who were fantastic. They took care of everything for us, and kept us very informed.

The Hotel itself is incredible. Having now been back 4 days I want to go again. It really is quite unexplainable. One of those things you just cant make people understand until they have seen it themselves. It was very cold, but we wore a set of thermals, then a fleece set, and then either the snow suit or salopettes and ski jacket and were toasty. I would recommend a balaclava or face mask for the trips, and my skiing goggles came in really handy.

We stayed in the Peel room, Art suite 306 which was just amazing. Very cold at night, we wore thermals, hat and socks. As long as you dont move around too much in the night then the cold air doesnt get in. You can choose a double or single sleeping bag which is good. We had an art suite and so had a little changin room where we could keep our things, and get changed. The warm changing room is fantastic, beautiful and very clean. The Snow rooms have a locker to keep their things in, a communal changing area with private booths also. The heated sauna and the ice sauna were both fantastic, and very welcome after a trip.

The warm cabins were fantastic. We stayed in the Aurora cabins with a velux window to see the stars. Very cosy, hair dryers are provided ( Wish I knew that before) and all the usual bits and pieces.

The food is very expensive. WIth the £ exchange rate at the moment (21/12/08) we paid £100 for dinner, which was 2 x main courses, 2 x deserts and 1 x glass of wine. Typically a cup of tea or hot chocolate is about £3, and lunches start from around £7-8. The Old Homestead is a bit cheaper because it is an all you can eat style buffet, but the food is not as good, and that cost us about £110 for 2 x 3 courses and 2 x beers.

We went to the Co-op to get snacks and things, and used the hot drinks facilities in the cabin and it worked out so much cheaper. The gift shop again is great but very expensive.

We did the 4 hour Reindeer trip, 1 and a half hour Husky ride and the 4 hour Skidoo trip, all of which were fab. Food and drinks are provided on all trips, didnt get to see the Aurora Borealis which was gutting but still an amazing trip. I will say it was a little disappointing to see so much of the hotel not finished. (There was only one corridor of Art Suites and one of Snow rooms finished) But it was fascinating to see them being made.

However, once in a lifetime trip, would definitely go again if we could afford to.

• Liked — Its unique, stunning and very comfortable.
  • Disliked — Cold.... he he
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Turkish first
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2008

Having just returned I feel that I have to add to the growing list of plaudits for this wonderful hotel. The experience is purely magical, With helpful staff and a truly unique setting this place has to be seen and experienced to be believed. You must book some excursions as there isn't much to do at the hotel during the day. We booked through Kiruna Guidetur (Google search and easy to find) having read about them on Tripadvisor. Saved 50% of the cost of booking through the Ice Hotel and had 2 fantastic trips. Go and enjoy the open spaces of the Arctic Circle!!

• Liked — All of it
  • Disliked — Nothing
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

We visited the Icehotel in mid December for my girlfriends 40th birthday...and man what a way to celebrate.
First we flew to Stockholm with Ryanair...cheap as chips but beware of luggage restrictions the 15kg limit is just that and if you over they WILL charge you for the privilege...we just stuffed our hand luggage with stuff too so it didn't affect us. The transfer from Skavsta to Stockholm takes about 90 mins and costs about 25gbp return per person.
In Stockholm we stayed with the Rica Hotel not far from Stockholm Central station. We booked a King bed well in advance through Expedia, only to be told on arrival they don't guarantee Expedia bookings...result being we ended up in a twin room. Not the best of starts! However i must admit they're breakfast was of a great standard and the location very useful for shoppers. The hotel also didn't mind us leaving our luggage while we meandered through the delightful streets of Stockholms old and new towns until it was time to catch our train.
And onto the next bit..
The train from Stockholm to Kiruna was easy to book (over the net or phone) and all you need to collect your tickets froma machine in the station is the reference number provided.
We took a 3 person carraige on the night train. Although only two of us travelling they will let you book the full carraige for a surcharge. The train journey itself is about 16 hours but as its a night train you sleep most of the journey and I will say that the standard of the bunks and blankets was great...very clean.
Only thing to beware is that all anouncements on the train are in Swedish, though everyone we met was extremely friendly and only to happy to translate.
On arrival we caught a taxi from Kiruna to Jukkasjarvi where the Icehotel is based. This cost us 450kr which is about 40gbp for an 18km ride. There are buses that run this route but I'm not sure of the times.
Ok now onto the main event.
The Icehotel staff are extremely friendlly and will do everything in their power to ensure you enjoy your stay there. We stayed in an Art Suite (Ice room) the first night and a Kammos (warm room). Do not be afraid of the cold while staying in the ice room. The sleeping bags they provide are more than warm enough and if you're unsure wear a set of thermals...its easier to remove them than put them on later! Temperature is maintained at a constant -5 degrees Centigrade within the hotel (due to its construction). Idea is to get in your sleeping bag as quickly as possible!!
Luckily for us we arrived on the night of the opening of the Icebar for that year...unbelievable. All staff were in dress to celebrate the theme of the bar for the year - 1920's..think Charleston etc.
The rooms are truly mesmorising.
We slept very comfortably and were awoken in the morning (about 7.30am) with the obligatory lingonberry juice - very nice.
Food was great - we had breakfast and lunch in the icehotel restaurant - breakfast is included with the room but lunch is about 15gbp per person but is a buffet style with as much as you like...and the food is varied and plentiful.
In the evening we went on the "Northern Lights" snowmobile tour. We booked this through Kiruna Guidetours. They are cheaper than the Icehotel but don't let that put you off - their service and staff are excellent. We didn't see the lights because of the cloud cover (even they can't guarantee that) but it was still worth the money for the experience.
You've probably read all the reviews so I'll just end with..yes it seem expensive but don't let that spoil your holiday...it is an experience of a lifetime and treat it as such...you really will enjoy it better that way..would I go back...Absolutely!!!

• Liked — That
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gloucester, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

The place is just amazing; even though you know you will be blown away, it still amazes you. Even now, we look at the photos and videos and just want to book our next trip back! It’s a shame that the price of visiting the Icehotel keeps on going up – if we were to do exactly the same this season as we did last year [6 x adult 4 night stay, 1 x cold room upgrade & 1 x wedding] it would cost us at least another £1000. But I will definitely go back some day – and at least I now have all the thermals and cold weather gear!

We booked our trip through Discover the World. We initially thought that our itinerary was a little slow in being confirmed, however we soon learnt that this was down to the Icehotel itself. They take a little while to respond to emails [particularly Eva, the Wedding Co-ordinator] so this has a knock on effect with DTW. DTW offer a direct flight to Kiruna and coupled with a travel agent to chase things up with the Icehotel, we are very glad we booked with them. A few days before we flew out, DTW even contacted us to see whether we wanted a table booked for our wedding night. Being a fussy eater, I had not pre booked because we wanted to see the food on offer at each restaurant before booking. DTW emailed me a copy of the menus so that we could choose between the Icehotel restaurant or the one at the Homestead. We decided against booking either restaurant in the end – but on our wedding day Eva even double checked that we didn’t need a table – think she panicked when she couldn’t see our name written down!

We booked our husky sledging [day] and snow mobiling [at night] trips through Kiruna GuideTur – the guides were friendly and knowledgeable. And above all, the trips were personal, just the 6 of us in our group. We were told that most people just go out with their own group, or they might combine two pair bookings. And the price was much better than that offered through the Icehotel [where you could see snow mobile after snow mobile following each other]. I was a bit wary of driving the snow mobile, however as it was just us in a group I had a go. Don’t know whether I would have in a larger group, as once people have travelled a bit, a new driver with less confidence might slow things down! It was easy to book through them – I emailed what I wanted and it was confirmed via email. I did have to chase the booking a couple of times though – so guess the Swedish way of life must be a little more laid back then ours! I phoned through with my credit card details.

The weather was not as cold as we thought it would be. I can honestly say I only got cold 3 times. And I am usually the first to complain about the cold! The first was as soon as we arrived at the Icehotel. Instead of going to get our warm gear straight away, we were just so keen to explore, and kept dashing from one thing to the next. Tip: go and collect your warm gear straight away, as by the time we got there they only had mittens in a large size [if I placed my arms by my side, they just slipped off – luckily I had bought along my own] and hats in small or large. The 2nd time was when we got married – but only about 2 hours in, after the wedding service and official photos. It was only when we decided to take a few more of our own that I realised my hands were cold. The third time was on the morning we left – we went ice fishing & I didn’t want to get my own gloves wet before we set off for the airport. Not bad going – but the weather was milder than usual for February; it hit -10 on our last morning, but average for that time of the year is in the -20s.

When I got married I wore 5 thermal vests and 3 pairs of long johns. Also on my back I had one of those heat packs you can buy for bad backs [some wore these for the night snow mobiling too]. I had those gel pads in amongst my 3 pairs of thermal socks and snow boots, and gel pads to have in my hands, as when I held my flowers you could not see them. As the gel pads and back packs were still warm by the evening we also took these into our sleeping bag in the ice room. We wanted to spend our first night as Mr & Mrs in the Icehotel. Our original itinerary, decided by DTW, was to have the night in the Icehotel on our first night. We decided to change this – after all, we didn’t want one of the best experiences to be over and done with within a few hours of setting foot in the place. However, had we not had other people with us, we would not have had anywhere to get ready for the wedding, unless we wanted to pay out for a warm room that we would not sleep in.

Try on all your clothes before you head out to Sweden, so you know which combination of clothes work well together. Some bulk up too much under the arms. You also want fleeces that zip up at the front, so that you can undo these when you get too hot [such as when snow shoeing].

As I mentioned I’m a fussy eater – and the menus on offer at the restaurant really didn’t appeal. We might have given it a go, but at the price per head, we decided not to bother. We took out cup–a-soups and pasta-in-a-mug meals, along with a few snacks. The way we organised our excursions and our day out in Kiruna meant that we had little need for eating at the restaurants. There is also a bar which serves baguettes behind the warm reception area. This was where we ate after our wedding. It was so relaxed and informal; it really rounded off the whole experience. The local Co-op well stocked, but closes at 7pm. It does a range of ready made baguettes, but we did find that if you went in after 12 noon, then the choice of fillings was limited.

We stayed in the Kaamos rooms. They are very comfortable – although usually too hot! Unfortunately you can not control the temperature in your own room. When we were getting ready to go outside, we placed all the clothes we would be wearing on the bed and made sure that wallets and anything else we wanted to take with us was all ready to go, got dressed as quickly as possible and then left the room straight away! Failure to do so would have resulted in severe overheating! And when we came in it was a case of how quickly can you get out of your clothes! A hairdryer is provided in the room, and there is also a mini fridge.

We chose to go snow shoeing with the Icehotel. It was fantastic. You all go in these white ‘trucks’ until you reach the start point. Then you get kitted up and off you go. It was snowing heavily for us, and it felt really magical. For the most part you are following a well worn track, there is some uphill walking but it’s not too exhausting. For the last 100 metres or so you can walk on the deep deep snow. It’s just like being a kid! You fall over and it’s quite hard to get enough leverage to pull yourself up. But such fun!

We made our own way into Kiruna on the bus – it’s nice to see the local area. And this was the only time we saw reindeers. We all got excited when the bus had to slow down because there were reindeers on the road – the Swedes must have thought we were mad, seeing as reindeers are the equivalent of our cows! The bus only travels a couple of times a day, so make sure you enquire at Reception the day before so you can plan your day. Also ask reception to book your tickets for the mine. You will need to get yourselves from the main bus station to the tourist office – it’s about a ten minute walk. We asked a local and got pretty clear directions. However, the mine was not as interesting as we thought, and in retrospect we should have given it a miss [and gone on a reindeer sleigh instead!]. We decided to eat in Kiruna before heading back. There was a nice steak house, but it was small and very busy. Instead we tried the Italian restaurant. The menu was in Swedish, and the people working there did not speak any English, so we just picked out familiar words - Hamburger and Calzone [pizza] and then we all had a meal that was a safe bet. We couldn’t find a taxi rank, so ended up going to the big hotel by the tourist office that we had seen to ask them to order one for us. There was in fact a direct line free phone. As there were six of us, we needed a people carrier – the journey back cost us just under £50. From what we saw of Kiruna, it would not be worth travelling in to just look around the shops.

As there were 6 of us, we all arranged to have our nights in the cold rooms on different nights – it then allowed us the opportunity to place our suitcases in each others rooms and also have a base for the time when you are out of your warm room [by 11am] until you go to sleep, and again on the following day when you can not get back into your warm room until 3pm. And if we really couldn't stand the whole cold experience, we reckoned that we could ask our friends to take pity on us and let us share their beds! If you have the standard ice room the lockers given do not fit your suitcases, although I am not sure if you are allowed more than one locker. If you pay for a suite you get a changing room – that has a padded bench that would be long enough for one of you to sleep on, should there be the need!

We took out the wedding package that included a photographer – I would really recommend it. We actually ended up with some good shots of our own, but the official ones were spectacular. He really knew how to use his lighting to the best advantage.

We went ice fishing on our final morning - make sure you allow enough time. It took us about an hour of hard work to drill through the ice. Of course we did not catch a thing - but it was nice to have tried!

• Liked — A unique experience
  • Disliked — Kaamos rooms were too hot
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

Although our trip to Sweden and Denmark was the most expensive vacation ever, it was also the best. We stayed at the Ice Hotel in Lapland just days before the winter solstice, and it was amazing. The light was beautiful but elusive since the sun rose at about 10 a.m. and set at 2 p.m. But when the sun was up, it cast a lovely soft glow over and through the hotel that I have never experienced before or since. The Scandinavians really love Christmas, so the Ice Hotel was brilliantly decorated for the holiday season. Trees were trimmed for the holiday in the main warm lobby and the lobbies of the warm cabins all around. It was very festive.

The rooms were beautiful and cold, of course. It was exhiliarating to sleep in, what is essentially, an igloo. We loved the activities. We attended the ice sculpting class, and we did the northern lights snow mobile ride. The lights were amazing, and the moose stew, Sven, the tour guide made for us in a little round cabin, was delicious. The ride was somewhat scary since Sven's only instructions were, "This is go, and this is stop." He pointed to the handles. "Oh, and be careful. Snow mobile goes 0-60 kilomoters in very few seconds." This was all my husband needed to test that claim. It was a wild ride!

The Ice Hotel is a surreal experience. Be prepared to step outside your comfort zone. As others have said, you keep your stuff in a locker, not in your room as it would freeze. We didn't have a problem with the bathrooms being busy since we didn't go at peak season, but it was a sharp cold as you walk the 25 paces outside the ice structure to the warm lockerroom. Unfortunately, I had to make many trips to the loo in the middle of the night, but it was all part of the experience.

One thing I will always remember is the sound of the Ice Hotel itself. The snow absorbs all sound, so when you walk in the halls, bar, lobby, rooms, etc. the sound of your boots crunching on the packed snow floor stops as soon as it begins. Your voice doesn't carry very far either. It's quite eerie, but fascinating.

The rooms are beautiful. They are uniquely decorated by individual international artists. The beds are comfortable and are all covered in reindeer pelts. For couples I recommend getting the double sleeping bag, so that if you need to get up in the middle of the night, the other can keep the bag warm with his/her body heat. We had a blast looking at all the rooms during the day before retiring to our own room for the night.

We were awakened at 7 in the morning by a Swedish lady and her thermos of hot lingonberry juice. It was fantastic. We actually slept well in the sub-freezing room, which by the way, had no door, only a short hallway to a curtain, so the morning lingonberry juice lady just walks right in. Different, but I would hate to think of how I would open an ice door...

The bar is great, but expensive. I still don't know how much our bar tab was (I told my husband not to show me...ever), but we ordered multiple drinks in every color they had to offer. The cups are made of ice, and the lingonberry vodka drinks look sooo pretty through their frosty containers.

The restaurant was fantastic. We had the reindeer filet in lingonberry sauce. Delicious. Be prepared to eat and drink all things lingonberry when you visit Sweden. I returned addicted and must make a monthly trek to Ikea for meatballs and lingonberry concentrate. The Ice Hotel restaurant is where you eat breakfast, also delicious. Lots to choose from, meats, eggs, breads, cereal, etc.

The showers are in the restaraunt building as well. They are communal, but when in Sweden.... The ladies showers and changing lounge was very clean and decorated nicely. My husband couldn't find the men's shower area, so he skipped it until we checked into the regular non-ice cabin for the next evening. The staff was very nice about letting us check into that room a bit early so we could move our luggage from our locker to the room.

The warm cabins are very nice. Everything looks like it came from Ikea... but already put together. Very clean lines. There was a flat screen TV, but only two channels to choose from, a Swedish cooking show, and Swedish soap operas. Fortunately, we didn't need to watch since the hotel offers so many activities to do during the day and evening.

The main warm lobby is lovely too. They have a great gift shop where you can buy postcards to send to all your friends. You must send postcards from the Ice Hotel. It is a bizzare vacation destination and something you will be telling everyone about for months afterward. People are fascinated when you tell them it is made completely of ice and snow. Be prepared to spend some money in the gift shop as everything is expensive, but I was only making that journey once, so I bought everything!

We were a bit disappointed to find out about the midnight sauna/naked snow roll after the fact. That would have been hilarious! But oh well. We had the time of our lives anyway. The Ice Hotel was the most unusual experience I have had while traveling. I would recommend it to everyone to do once in a lifetime. And yes, apparently there is an Ice Hotel in Canada (which would have been closer since we're Californians), but to go to Sweden to experience Lapland and their Ice Hotel was worth the many, many hours on many, many planes, and the ridiculously high prices on everything. We didn't care. We spent several months paying for the trip afterward, but with every bill we paid, we smiled and laughed about how much fun we had on our Swedish Ice Hotel adventure.

• Liked — The novelty of sleeping in an igloo, the fun activities, everything
  • Disliked — Nothing. It was fabulous!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Newark, Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Kiruna, Sweden is the most amazing place i think i have ever visited. We had a 5 night stay at the Ice Hotel just outside Kiruna. We actaually won this holiday through work so can't really comment on whether it's value for money but our time there was priceless. We arrived and had 1 night staying in the Ice Hotel in an art suite. The ice sculptures were amazing. We then spent the remaining 4 nights in a warm cabin. The whole experience was out of this world. There are loads of activities to do but they are costly.
There were a few downsides but the experience and amazing views more than made up for it.
There are only 2 restaurants nearby, unless you travel in to Kiruna itself which is about 20 minute drive away. The Ice Hotel restuarant is very posh and delicious food with prices to match. 2 main courses and a bottle of wine comes to around £100. There is a bar downstairs but again the prices are double UK drinks prices.
There is another restaurant about a 15 minute walk down the road. They did a 4 course menu, which we had for 2 with a bottle of wine and again this came to around £100. There is a Co-op Nara about 10 minutes walk down the road where alcohol and food is much better priced.
To stay 5 nights on site at the Ice Hotel, we felt, was far too long. Maybe 2 nights would be better, One for the Ice Hotel and one in warm accomodation. Unless you are minted and can afford to do a different excursion each day, which we couldn't. We had a 4 hour moose tour included in our holiday and we paid £150 for 2 of us to go on an hour and a half snow mobile excursion. We still managed to get through £1000 in our 5 night stay.
I would definitely recommend this trip to any couples or friends. Not so much for singles or families with young children. Just make sure you are willing to spend a lot of money, although it is really worth it.

• Liked — Amazing scenery
  • Disliked — The wait between leaving cold accomodation and getting keys for warm accomodation
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

THIS IS.......what can I say,....just one of those places that EVERYONE should visit in their lifetime.
I took my wonderful husband for his fortieth birthday in January and despite my misgivings about the expenditure(not that he's not worth it!)I can honestly say that every single penny was well spent!!!
We highly recommend spending your first night in the Ice suite,the wow factor is amazing and just pulls you in any anyway,you have plenty of time to check out all the other suites too.
After this you will really appreciate spending the night in warm accommodation with no toiletry worries etc...
Both restaurants,the Ice hotels own and the one down the road(the only one!)were absolutely fanastic and therefore we would recommend booking in advance.
Our excursions were booked through"discover the world'and we could not have been any happier-we strongly recommend the moose safari on the snow mobiles,it was out of this world,we,were very lucky that there was only two snowmobiles and the guides' and she was lovely!
The dog sledding was also wonderful and those boys and girls were SO friendly and happy and loveable that it brings a tear to your eyes,I can only dream of being with them again!
All in all the cold equivalent of the Maldives hot,it really has to be done.

Been to Icehotel? Share your experiences!