“Ice is nice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jukkasjarvi
Palm Bay, Florida
“Ice is nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Jukkasjarvi, Sweden, is becoming a common item on many bucket lists. A recent visit to this little village 120 miles North of the Artic Circle was quite interesting. Even though the Ice Hotel isn't there during the summer, for obvious reasons, the possibility to stay at a Laplandic bungalow remained. Some of the pictures show where the ice is harvested from the Thorne River, behind the property. The Ice hotel is rebuilt every year for visitors to stay at. Each winter, 50.000 people, from all over the world, make the long trip to Jukkasjarvi, to experience the Ice Hotel. We were very fortunate to get reservations to the restaurant across the street during their annual Midsummer Lunch. All the Swedish favorites were on the buffet table. Smoked reindeer was my favorite and will be yours too. What a great meal!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Turkish first
Geraldton, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We started getting the feeling the visit here wasn't going to go as well as we'd hoped when we went across to the restaurant for dinner on the first night.
Even though we were the first in the dining room, we were the last served. My partner and I watched as everyone else that came in was brought their bread, food, drinks etc. first.
We couldn't understand, as we were polite, civil and quiet like everyone else, yet there we were being treated like second-class citizens, too polite to speak up about it. We were finally served by a nice woman 10 minutes later, but she made no apologies and essentially ignored my remark when I said "I thought we'd been forgotten about". This, on top of the crazy prices for small servings of (albeit delicious) food didn't exactly put me in any mood to leave a nice tip as I usually would.
From then on, any time we returned for a meal I noticed both glaring from the woman that served me (alongside her co-workers), as well as a staff member that suddenly found something else to do when we approached to be let in to the restaurant. I wanted to put it down to paranoia, but even my partner noticed it.

A warning to those with glasses: Do NOT book and pay for any snowmobile trips, because you will be treated like a lying nuisance if you dare ask for a refund for not even being able to participate in something you've already paid for. What these people fail to tell you is that certain types of spectacle lenses -will- frost up in such bitter-cold conditions. According to the manager; I'm the first one, in her 28 years on the job, to complain about the fact that my glasses were frosting up and wouldn't allow me to see anything I paid to see in the first place. Really.
In the words of a fellow Australian we met while we were there: "That's bullsh**".
No apologies. No refunds. They were even going to charge me to take me back to the hotel after I made it clear a "positive attitude" wasn't going to help me see my surroundings any better through glasses that wouldn't defrost without constant cleaning from a cleaning solution (and no, saliva doesn't work - I had to try). After arguing and realizing the manager and her superiors weren't going to give me my money back, we settled for an "equal value" offer with other activities we didn't want to do.
Thankfully, those activities were pretty good, though they were certainly not what we paid to fly to the other side of the world for. Had they ended up giving me a refund, I may well of felt grateful enough to spend that refund money + extra to try out the 'Driving On Ice' instead. But the management's stubbornness killed off any sense of joy I had left for trying out any other activities.

Ice sculpting is quite fun and our instructor was friendly. I definitely recommend that. The Ice Bar is overpriced but you soon stop caring after you've had a few, and the bartenders were awesome (geez, I must of left around 400 SEK in tips alone now that I think back on it). Good fun.
Dinner under the stars wasn't quite what I expected but our hostess was a wonderful human being. In fact, she was the highlight of the evening; The world needs more people like her.
We didn't end up staying in one of the 'cold' rooms, though the artwork on display in those rooms is well worth a look when they're open to the public during the day. Very talented artists.

All in all however, my partner and I have both agreed that we wouldn't go back.
I'll miss our dinner hostess and the Ice Bar's bartenders (as well as some of the other friendlier workers around there), but nothing else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Had booked a Nordic bungalow for four during this winter trip. Check in was smooth and we quickly got our room key. It was cozy and clean, though rooms were a bit small. One of the rooms had bunk bed and the other was a queen bedded. There was a living area with a small TV, plus microwave oven and complete set of cutlery.
We joined the free tour of the cold rooms organised by the hotel for all guests.
Most of the cold rooms do not have a proper locked door, just a curtain entrance. All the themes that they had were just simply amazing, and since it will be melted off every summer, there would not be any chance of preserving any of the designs.
We were able to get free winter overalls and boots to change into from the reception counter. This definitely helped to brave the cold of -12 deg C especially in the night and morning.
Breakfast was across the street in its own building and food selection was good.
Since our reason for visiting Sweden was to watch the northern lights, we took an aurora dogsled tour with Active Lapland and we were blown off our feet while sledding out of the forest when the light gave us an early spectacular show at around 830pm, reflecting off the white snow.
When we got back to icehotel, we took a path by foot to Thorne River behind the hotel but could not spot any lights.
Definitely recommended to stay at least one night in winter for the experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

It was an adventure to go to this remote part of Sweden as part of our quest to see the northern lights. We wanted to stay at the Ice Hotel rather than just make a day trip as we were keen to wander around at leisure. We booked a warm hotel room rather than a cold/ice room although those are what attract most people to this hotel. As hotel guests, we had free access to the ice rooms and structures during the day. The art suites and sculptures were awesome. The artistry and skill that went into carving them is remarkable. If we had paid a huge(r) price to book one of these special rooms, we might have felt bound to stay up all night and keep the lights on just to make it all worthwhile! We do not regret the room choice we made. In the evening, we had a lovely though costly set dinner at the Ice Hotel Restaurant. The portions were small but the taste and presentation - some on ice plates - were great. After dinner, we were happy to retire to our room, which was spacious and warm (actually, too warm!). It was challenging walking around in the snow but the heavy waterproof boots provided by the hotel made moving around easy. The village about 1 km down the road was an interesting visit - there is an old church and a Sami museum and reindeer park, and we passed attractive houses along the way that reflected the artic lifestyle with snowmobiles and kick sleds parked in the driveways.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed at the ice hotel as part of an organised group. It is rather expensive to visit but well worth visiting at least once. You are provided with a warm oversuit and snow boots if you want them during your stay and there is a warm room with large lockers for your bags and suitcases, there are also showers and toilets here too. When you get into the ice hotel itself you will be amazed at what can be built, especially the art suites when walking around you could here everyone usually saying wow as they entered each room. If you stay in the hotel I would recommend the ice rooms if you can afford - these are basic but have ice furniture and an ice picture and are just that little bit more fancy than the snow room. The shop is full of all the gifts you may want to purchase from pens to larger toys and jewellery. The restaurant was very expensive for what you get, but there isn't a great deal of choice where to eat. overall it is worth visiting at least once In your life.

Room Tip: on a tight budget choose a snow room, if you can afford a little bit more choose the ice room. Only...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Spent a wonderful afternoon, evening and overnight in an ice room. Outside temperature -38, inside the ice hotel, -8, you can request a certificate when collecting your sleeping bag. Facilities very clean, staff very helpful and treated each couple as special. The lunch in the restaurant was full buffet style and excellent value, the evening meal was heavenly. The wine menu is pricey but the diamond cocktails good value and cheeky-think martini glass with a large cube of ice that you balance on your nose to sip your tipple! Sleeping in an ice room should be on your bucket list. Gift shop had range of goods to suit all pockets. One of our glass gifts was not packed with our shopping, we contacted by email and it was sent on to us by return, brilliant service.

Room Tip: Check the website for prices, they rise near the weekends, if you can afford it go for two nights, a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Helsingborg, Skåne Län, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Although it was a very short visit in Jukkasjärvi Icehotel I enjoyed every minute! It was so intense with all the excursions we made. We arrived at lunch time, had an excellent lunch and then discovered the surroundings. In the evening we drove snow scooter to a cabin where we had dinner. When we came out from the cabin we were lucky to see the northern light - Beautiful! Fantastic! We drove back to the hotel and slept on ice-beds in sleeping bags. Wonderful.
Next day sauna and then off with the sledge which we drove ourselfes. Four huskies in front of you who only wanted to run, run and run. Through snow-covered Beautiful landscape to a hut in the wilderness. Here sauna, good food and a nights rest. Next morning off again with the huskies and sledges back to the hotel. Very Quick visit but Worth every minute!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Icehotel? Share your experiences!