“Simply Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jukkasjarvi
London, England, United Kingdom
“Simply Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I can't speak highly enough of this place. Having stayed for three nights, one in an ice room and two in the warm accommodation, I can honestly say that the Ice Hotel is one of the best places I've ever experienced. The staff are friendly and welcoming, and the hospitality is second to none. Watching the Northern Lights on the viewing platform on the roof of the Ice Hotel was simply magical.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is one of the things you definitely need to do if you are visiting Kiruna in Sweden, the experience of being in a hotel where everything is made of ice is extraordinary, I didn't spend the night because I was traveling solo and I preferred to spend the night at Reindeer Lodge, you can stay in the cabins outside of the ice hotel if you want more comfort too. Each year the hotel is rebuilt from scratch and new artists participating in the construction of the rooms. The bar it's pretty awesome too, but it only serve vodka

There are three room types inside:
1 - Single: Only one bed in four walls of ice.
2 - Medium: Bed, nightstand, table with two chairs in four ice walls.
3 - Main rooms: These are the rooms that are designed by artists from around the world and are perfect for honeymooners or couples in general. (but are more expensive and you have to book well in advance).

Room Tip: The bathrooms are outside the hotel, so you better go before entering (although you can go out to th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My daughter (13) and I visited this hotel in Jan this year.We loved the experience- we did not sleep over in an Ice room because we found it way too expensive for our budget and slept over in a warm room which I am glad we did, as people mentioned it really was cold and they couldnt get much sleep in and the realization of no ablutions(obviously) in the room put me off completely.The warm Kamos rooms were comfortable, and roomy.The Ice rooms with their unique themes were incredible;the ice sculpting was fun - having breakfast across the street was a bit of a bother.Walking into town to a supermarket is a bit too far for small children.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Yarm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

What an experience! My wife and I Came here as part of our honeymoon in January - Wow.

If you want to experience something different, sleep in a art gallery or try out being an Eskimo then this is the place. We stayed in one of the art suites - more expensive than a regular ice room - but an amazing experience. We were woke up with hot lingonberry juice (similar but sweeter to ribena).

The only disappointment was it was fairly quiet - we visited the ice bar and we were the only ones there but this never took away from the experience. Loved it and proudly display our certificates at home!

A must in your lifetime!!!!

Room Tip: pay more for art suite and get your own locker/ changing room!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
HKG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I went in January, so it had been built not too long ago.

The hotel experience here was wonderful
1. The rooms were beautiful, and guests are free to see all the art rooms before their booked guests settle in
2. The staff are helpful in directing you through the experience and very efficient. For example, they would offer a two person's sleeping bag even though it was not what you booked when they saw that you were a couple
3. Friendly staff
4. The restaurants had good food. It's not cheap. But its what is expected when you're at this part of the world. They have 2 main places to choose from, one is more modern european, the other more old school. I prefer the latter.

The ice rooms initially feel cold as you're walking through. But if its -25C outside, then inside its relatively warm.
The sleeping bags they provide are also SUPER warm. In fact, I woke up sweating the next morning.

So all in all a worthwhile experience!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Orange, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

The Icehotel may be best experienced in winter when all of the ice suites are created and ready for viewing, but the summer version was just enough cold for a CA girl. I spent the afternoon with Jasper ice sculpting, which was peaceful and fun! And no, I'm not an artist! There are three ice suites, as well as the ice bar, all of which were beautiful and showcased amazing ability to work with the ice and sn'ice. There are many activities for outdoorsy types, but I went up there for the Icehotel experience, gorgeous surroundings, and the proximity to a Sami museum/cultural center where I learned a great deal about these indigenous Europeans and reindeer herding. The breakfast at Icehotel is varied, tasty and filling. Do spend the extra money to eat dinner at the restaurant! The chef served up five different local, fresh entrees, each with yummy sides. I had at his recommendation the smoked reindeer with potatoes Ana and ratatouille that was absolutely delicious. For dessert, a trio of creme brûlée with local berries, blue, cloud, and lingon. Yummy times three!
The service all around was absolutely stellar, from my kind driver/tour guide Ava to everyone at reception and the restaurant. All claim to love their job, and since the world comes to visit the icy art amidst the beauty of the river Torne and the surrounding forest make it easy to see why they are genuinely pleasant people!
I heartily recommend a stay at the Icehotel! One note, if you take the 16 hour overnight train from Stockholm and back, bring along some food and drink--selections on the train were limited, and there was nothing open at Kiruna train station before the trip back to Stockholm when I went early June.

• Stayed June 2012
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

A friend and I travelled around Europe for 2 months, mostly staying in hostels. We decided that this, the Icehotel, would be our big splurge though! We stayed in one of the art suites, hoping that we would not have just wasted ridiculous amounts of money.

And we didn't! Yes, it was expensive, but it was such an experience that it was worth paying the money for. We had so much fun, and I will never forget it! We were too broke to pay for any activities, which would have definitely improved our stay, but instead, enjoyed the ice-bar and we still got to see the northern lights - simply by checking outside frequently! It was amazing!!

I had a fantastic sleep - even though it is minus 5 degrees, the sleeping bag is great, I didn't feel the cold :) The staff are great and really seem like they want to be there which creates a nice atmosphere. The bartender was particularly entertaining :)

All in all, I would recommend this highly, the hotel is magnificent, and our room (one of the art suites) was awesome!!

Room Tip: The art suites are pretty fantastic, but very expensive. Even if you book a cheap room, you still ge...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jukkasjarvi
Camp Ripan
Hotell City
Hotell City
#6 of 10 in Kiruna
3.0 of 5 stars 46 reviews

Been to Icehotel? Share your experiences!