“Icehotel - worth doing once” 4 of 5 stars

Icehotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marknadsvagen 63, Jukkasjarvi 981 91, Sweden   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jukkasjarvi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Icehotel - worth doing once”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2007

We went to the ice hotel for Christmas 2005. As with most people, we spent one night in the ice hotel proper, followed by another night in one of the hotel rooms. We slept fairly well, not cold really, although if you get up to pee in the middle of the night, expect to have to put clothing/boots/etc. on. The ice suites are cute in design, but you don't get to spend much time in them.

For the money, I though the food was not worth it, certainly true on Christmas eve. The icebar was interesting and the sweet vodka drinks went down easy. People were friendly in the bar as well.

For activities, we went cross-country skiing, snow-mobiling, sweating
in the sauna and dog sledding. Other than the sauna, these were not cheap. We did have a blast though. Unfortunately we did not witness the Northern Lights.

We took the train to get up there from Stockholm in a sleeper car. It
was a pleasant enough ride.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2007

I booked the Ice hotel for me and my partner as we both loved Christmas time and knew this would be a unique experiance and it certainly was.

The first day you arrive you are allocated you snowsuit, boots, gloves and hat and a locker to keep your belongings, your suitcase is stored away. The first night is then to be spent in your ice room. The only difficulty with this is that if you arrive mid afternoon and with the weather as it is there's is little to do and apart from the 'warm reception' and the bar/restaurant opposite the hotel there is no place to go and warm up as your aurora cabin is not ready until the next day.

The 'ice room' unless you book a suite is just a square room with a bed made of ice in the middle with a sunken mattress and reindeer skin covering the top. The stay in the room is surprisingly warm but they do reccommend wearing your thermals and a hat. You then sleep in polar sleeping bags which were very comfy. The suites were amazing and all created individually.

I was quite disappointed with the 'Aurora Cabin' as it's something you might expect to buy flat packed from Ikea. It was large and comfortable with cooking facilities but when you imagine staying in Lapland, roaring log fires and comfortable sofas spring to mind but not so unfortunately.

Unless you book activities like dog sledding etc then there is little to do around the Ice Hotel so I suggest you fill your days with plenty of things to do.

The restaurant is very expensive, I think we spent over £100 a night on 2 or 3 courses but this is Sweden so you expect to pay a lot. However the food was excellent.

The Absolute Bar in the Ice Hotel was outstanding, with vodka cocktails served in ice glasses. Be careful how many you drink though I fell in the snow about 5 times on the way back to my room!

A great experiance but very expensive for what it was.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

A fantastic experience all round. I had already been to Icehotel a few years earlier and the facilities have certainly been upgraded since my first stay. Commercialism has hit and i would agree with other posts that they have become greedy. If your stay goes according to plan - count yourself lucky ! The staff are friendly so long as you're not actually asking them to do anything.
Eva the wedding co-ordinator is hopeless. She is incompetent and for some reason is allergic to responding to any of your queries. Perserverance with her via email copying in the Managing Director of Icehotel is the only route!
Anna the Priest is a delight and the photgrapher is brilliant.
The food is out of this world. Our 'wedding breakfast' in the Icehotel restaurant at roughly £45 a head might sound expensive but the quality of the food and the ambience of the place far exceeds the melon, chicken and chocolate tart at a 3star conveyer belt wedding here for roughly the same price.
It's definitely a place you either love or hate but regardless of which its certainly an experience not to be missed.
Needless to say we have already planned our next visit for our wedding anniversary !

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

Travelling to the Ice Hotel in Arctic Sweden is truly an unforgettable once in a lifetime experience; but I've been lucky enough to have stayed there twice.

The Ice hotel is in a village called Jukkasjarvi, about 15 minutes drive from a mining town in Arctic Sweden called Kiruna. You can drive there from Stockholm in about 12 - 15 hours, or you may prefer to take the overninight train or fly there from Stockholm. The train and airport are situated in Kiruna. Scandanavian Airlines and flynordic both fly to Kiruna. You can either take a taxi to the Ice Hotel, or arrange for people from the Ice Hotel to take you there either by bus, dog sled or snowmobile. (The last 2 options are quite expensive.) Kiruna Airport even has it's own dog sled parking area.

The Ice Hotel is not as cold as people would imagine - it's quite cosy to sleep inside, but there are chalets or the Arora rooms to sleep in if you really don't want to sleep in the ice rooms. You sleep in a bed carved out of ice with a mattress covered in rendeer skins in a thermal sleeping bag - I was quite comfortable sleeping in my shorts and a T-shirt.. A word od advice though - go to the toilet before you go to bed.

There is a bar inside the Ice Hotel which serves drinks in an ice glass. The drinks get cheaper the more you buy because each drink melts out a bit of the glass and they always fill the glass to the top. Eating at the Ice Hotel's restaurant is quite nice, but expensive, a cheaper option is to walk about 10 minutes into the Jukkasjarvi village and eat at the homestestead restaurant there. it's a nice walk there, the sound of the snow crunching under your feet as you walk past the Swedish homes in the village.

What is there to do at the Ice Hotel? The Ice Hotel organises reindeer tours, snowmobile safaris, dog sleging, ice fishing, overnight wilderness tours, a chance to have a drive of a Saab on the Torne River (frozen of course). These activities are very expensive, but you can save yourself a bit of money by doing your research and organising these activities directly through the local companies before you get there. One company is Lapland Wilderness Tours.

It is worth visiting kiruna while you are in the area and having a look around. Also a trip to Narvik is an adventure as well. Narvik is about a 3 hour train or car ride from Kiruna and the scenery is spectacular.

January is a good time to go to the Ice Hotel because there is more daylight then. At Christmas it gets light at around 9am and it is dark again by 2:30pm. By the end of March, the Ice Hotel is closed and allowed to melt back into the Torne River and the Ice hotel staff begin their summer activities such as canoeing, fishing and wilderness tours. You can still stay in the chalets and the Arora Rooms.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

I got taken the Ice Hotel by my boyfriend for a surprise trip. For me it is somewhere I have always wanted to go and it was amazing. If you don't like the snow and the cold, then its not the best place for you. If like me the idea of being in the snow and cold is heaven then its the perfect place to go.

Reading other reviews, I do agree that at times it can appear a tourist trap and I don't understand how they make everything so expensive!

We travelled from Heathrow to Kiruna.....the most annoying part was the long wait at Stockholm airport. If there was a direct flight it would have taken just over 3 hours, instead we spent 3 hour waiting for our connecting flight.

Landing in Kiruna was amazing as everywhere apart from the runway was covered in snow. I am a regular skier and have never seen an airport operate under those conditions.

Transport to the Ice Hotel was by coach took about 20 minutes. Look out for wildlife and people on skidoos, not many cars about.

We stayed for 1 night in the warm accommodation and it was lovely and clean. We backed onto the Ice Church and it was lovely and quiet.

My boyfriend who is not a skier hired all his clothes which were free. I borrowed apres boots which were lovely and warm.

We ate at the Homstead which was a 20 minute walk away....do wrap up warm but wear light clothes underneath as the restaurant is very hot. The food was delicious and we had a lovely time.

Breakfast is included and is a generous buffet. We did not stay for lunch but you could always make up sandwiches with the bread and fillings that were available.

We did a guided tour of the Ice Hotel which was interesting and I really enjoyed looking around at all the suites. Drink in the Ice Bar is a must.

Overall I would recommend it, but I am biased as I it is where I got engaged!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

This is the second time I've been to the icehotel and it looks like the rampant commercialism of the brand is starting to take its toll. Mid April, a lot of the rooms had collapsed, but the hotel did nothing to warn us in advance and failed to provide any refund when we opted to move from an ice suite with grit and meltwater on the floor to a warm room (despite the rate being SEK1000 cheaper). Furthermore, the amount the hotel charge you for activities isn't far off what it actually costs to buy the stuff - ice hole fishing at £25 per person - and they really do charge per person. A head lamp rental for £6 per day? Come on guys, its getting too greedy, particularly at the end of the season when the place is melting, management really should think about whether its fair not to give refunds when the ice bar has collapsed in on itself, the church is closed, there is builders tape, all over the place and the place essentially resembles a building site. We all know that its out of their control when the thaw comes, but equally, when things like the Sami museum are closed and the Homestead restaurant, management do have the means to make the proposal a bit more fair for late guests by adjusting prices accordingly and throwing in some activities. I viisted about 7 years ago and the whole vibe was a lot less grabby and greedy, there was performance art in the bar. Now its just wave after wave of guided tours traipsing through the place - there's no real point in paying up for an ice room as you can visit them all during a tour or a trip to the bar - save your money, book a warm room, you'll be able to check in earlier, have a shower in private facilities and you'll still get the same experience. I'm sorry to sound so negative, but unfortunately this is what happens when a company gets too greedy with its clientele - the whole experience is ruined and it just leaves a bad taste. The icehotel knows that they have their clients over a barrel in this location and they make sure they clear out every last penny from your wallet if they see the chance. My advice would be to find one of the local dog sled operators and spend an extra night in the Lappland wilderness rather than boost the coffers of an increasinly mean global organisation.

• Liked — very clean warm rooms, large and well-appointed
  • Disliked — absence of refunds or alternative activities provided despite the collapse of the around 1/3 of the icehotel
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

Have just returned from the icehotel where my husband (!) and I got married. We travelled with 11 friends, flew out on Tuesday 3rd of April and returned on Good Friday.

God – where to begin? I suppose firstly I should say it is just about *the* most amazing place I have ever seen; and anyone who is curious enough to be reading this review should be booking their tickets right now!

I’ve got quite a few tips to pass on, not least regarding the perceived expense of the trip. Okay so it’s never going to be as cheap as a last minute week in Benidorm, but presumably since you’re reading this review that’s not the kind of holiday you’re after…

Our 4 day holiday there, including food, all trips, transfers, accommodation and flights cost just over £700 each, having been bumped up slightly by the new flight taxes (thank you Mr Brown).

I think we did very, very well compared to what other people have paid. Of course because we were getting married there we subsidised trips for the other guests, paid for the wedding ceremony, photographer and a big meal so our grand total was higher, but if we had just been going on holiday as a couple that £1400 is all we would have paid.

How to save money (Tripadvisor doesn’t won’t allow me to post web addresses so just google the names and the sites will come up).

1.Don't book with a travel agent.

We booked our flights independently with SAS (Heathrow to Kiruna), and our accommodation directly with the icehotel. They speak perfect English and are very helpful. I know another couple who took a different approach, booking with a tour company, and they spent £1200 each just on flights and accommodation. They then took official tours which really are not cheap. I would imagine they spent another £500 / £600 on food and excursions – bringing their grand total to £3000+. We spent just over £1400.

2.Don't book excursions with the icehotel

There is another company – Kiruna Guidetur – who offer exactly the same trips as the icehotel but at half the price. The guides who work for Guidetur also take trips for the icehotel, which should tell you something. Guidetur will pick you up from the icehotel and drop you back there afterwards. There’s no extra effort and we saved around a huge amount.

3.Choose excursions that feed you!

Eating at the icehotel in the evening time is expensive. If you book a tour for the evening (for example the Northern Lights Snowmobile Tour) they feed you a traditional Lappish dinner while you are out, with dinner included in the price. Breakfast is included with the icehotel rooms and it is absolutely excellent.

4.Consider going at an off peak time.

The icehotel has a very good downloadable price list, showing peak and off peak prices. Clearly we went at the very end of the season, and it is true to say that the icehotel had seen better days. However there was still 3 feet of snow everywhere, and there is something to be said for going when the temperature is only around –12. I was absolutely toasty in all my clothes but I wouldn’t have liked to have been bombing round on the snowmobiles at –30. I think my face would have fallen off.

Hmmm…. What other tips?

Pack lightly but sensibly. I was there four days and took two pairs of thermal long johns and two thermal long sleeved tops. I took my own thick ski gloves, and with hindsight wish I had also taken a thermal liner for them. I took two pairs of trousers, two long sleeved tops and two jumpers and this was ample if not too much. Wool socks are a must. I packed cotton ones and wondered why the guide scoffed so until my toes nearly dropped off with the cold. I also took my own snow boots and a warm coat and hat. The icehotel provides protective overalls, and also boots, hats and gloves if required – all for free. You will also need sunglasses. There is a hairdryer in the kaamos rooms, as well as an ironing board, ample tea and coffee, sugar etc.

There is a Co-op ten minutes walk down the road, next to the Old Homestead Restaurant. It is very well stocked for food. However the lunch at the icehotel is very reasonably priced (around £9 per head) and is served buffet style, with a fantastic spread laid on – meat, fish, veg, salads and pasta, hot and cold drinks.

Book a warm room (kaamos) on your first night. You really will be tired after all the travelling. They are lovely.

Don’t bother with an ice suite. Very expensive. Good fun to look round but once the light’s out it’s dark – and they all look the same.

Make sure you have enough to do.
If you aren’t on an excursion there really is very little to do once you’ve spent some time looking round the place.

This was our itinerary:

TUESDAY:
Arrive Kiruna at 3pm, Dog sled transfer to icehotel, coffee and sandwiches on the way.
Northern Light Snowmobile Tour with Dinner at around 7.30.
Returned at Midnight to a warm room.

WEDNESDAY:
Breakfast at the icehotel (free).
Late morning – hired ice fishing equipment and the sauna and outdoor hot tub at The Old Homestead.
Lunch buffet at Icehotel restaurant.
Afternoon – wedding ceremony in the Ice Church followed by evening meal at the Old Homestead.
Stayed overnight in a cold room.

THURSDAY:
Breakfast at the icehotel (free).
Lunch at the icehotel buffet.
3pm picked up by snowmobile for an overnight trip to the Wilderness Camp – a log cabin with sauna - where we stayed overnight. They cooked us a fantastic dinner, with wine, and left breakfast for the morning.

FRIDAY:
Breakfast at Wilderness Camp (free)
Snowmobiles back to the icehotel.
Minibus transfer to the airport for our flight early afternoon.

Looking back it doesn’t look too hectic but it was! I certainly wouldn’t book any more than that to do in any one day. In fact if I had my time again I would add an extra day and spend more time lounging around in the hot tub. Book all of these trips well in advance of travel.

With regards the service – I could not fault it. We were treated exceptionally well, all our requirements catered for. We had several vegetarians, I have a gluten allergy and another of our group cannot eat onions, and we were catered for every step of the way. We were even upgraded to a deluxe suite free of charge on our wedding night, and we found they had left us a present on our bed for us to open. We were also allowed to check out of our room later than usual to allow us to have somewhere to base ourselves while waiting for the Wilderness trip. Furthermore, one of our number needed assistance to get from the icehotel to the Homestead, and we were driven both ways for free. They even ran us into town to go to the larger supermarket for some beer. Can’t say fairer than that!

The Kaamos rooms are fantastic, underfloor heating, brilliant shower. The aurora cabins that I saw were a little bit more basic, perhaps a bit tired in décor, but certainly acceptable.

I was lovely and warm in the cold rooms. I wore my thermal long johns and top, woollen socks and my hat, and slept soundly the whole night through. Just make sure you don’t drink too much otherwise you’ll spend the whole night negotiating icy corridors to find the loo!

And I don’t know what some other reviewers have been going on about – the changing facilities for the cold rooms are fantastic – warm and amazingly clean. Bah Humbug…

I think they annoying thing about the whole trip is that I left addicted to Lingonberry juice… and I bet I can’t get it for love nor money in this country!

I’ll just add another bit about the wedding for those who are thinking of it, but for all the rest of you who are going to stop reading here…. BOOK IT BOOK IT BOOK IT!

THE WEDDING
The icehotel has one wedding co-ordinator, Eva, and if you decide to get married there all your communication will be through her. She does get round to doing things – eventually – but she very often needs a good nudge via email. Prepare to be persistent and just keep reminding yourself of 1. the money you’ll be saving and 2. the fact you’d still have to be doing all this nudging even if you’d paid a tour operator twice as much to do the same thing.

She can organise everything for you, your rooms and the food – I would recommend having your celebratory meal in the Old Homestead afterwards – it’s warm and the food is fantastic. Get her to email you the menu so you can choose and pay for the food and wine in advance. Don’t have a three course meal; order a starter and main and bring along your own cake for dessert – we chose a fruit and madeira royal iced cake from Tesco and both travelled very well indeed.

It’s quite nice to have a “stag” / “hen” type trip whilst there. For me, the morning before the ceremony was spent with the girls in the hot tub / sauna, whilst the boys went off to try their hands at ice fishing (not very successfully I might add)

Take your own artifical flowers. You won’t need any to decorate the venue – just your own and a button hole, perhaps. Fresh flowers are expensive there and wilt very fast through the fluctuation in temperature.

Do not wear heels! The church is a combination of snow and ice and you will come a cropper. I wore white snow boots, with white long johns, and a traditional big wedding dress. I did have a shrug for my shoulders but didn’t wear it in the end. I think it was the adrenaline – in the UK I’m usually the one shivering in the corner with two jumpers on. My partner wore a morning suit, as did the Best Man, albeit with long johns underneath. :)

Eva recommended that we keep a warm room on as spare for the night of the ceremony and it was excellent advice. Because you have to check out of the warm room you’re staying in the morning of the ceremony (because we were staying in a cold room on our wedding night) we wouldn’t have had anywhere to get ready for the ceremony (although you are provided with a locker you are not allowed to check in to the cold rooms until gone 7pm, and anyway, who would want to get ready at –5 ?). So definitely make sure you do that. Well worth the extra expense.

Eva will meet with you the morning of the ceremony to go through everything, and the priest will also come to see you. We had the lady priest, Anna, and she was very nice and spoke absolutely perfect English. Do NOT be conned into paying for a translator!!!

As regards the ceremony, the Priest will sing you in down the aisle, and the ceremony itself is very, very similar to an English ceremony from the Book of Common Prayer. There are a couple of hymns which are in Swedish – the Priest will encourage you to join in but it’s very hard!!! She sings again as you exit the church.

We then had the icehotel’s official photographer, Hans Olaf, take our formal photos. It did take quite some time and I was very cold by the end but he did keep giving us “warming up breaks” which helped take the edge off it. In addition to the time he spent prior to the ceremony taking reportage shots, we spent well over an hour with him in the icehotel. He is sending us all the hi res digital images on CD as well as an album with 8 of the best enlargements – for just under £500 I think that is excellent value. It is possible to take *reasonable* pictures with your own camera but nowhere near the quality of his; he has proper wireless lighting systems and everything. Well worth it.

The ceremony was lovely and simple. I couldn’t have asked for anything more. It was very special and I wouldn’t have changed a single thing. It wasn’t in the least bit stressful and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone considering it.

Phew!
Hope that was helpful!

• Stayed April 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SmallEffingham, Work for the largest tour operator in the world to the Icehotel at Icehotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2008
We have noted a number of comments on Trip Advisor about the high cost of excursions operated by the Icehotel. Discover the World is the largest tour operator in the world to the Icehotel and we have been working in this area of Lapland for a great many years, in fact even before the Icehotel was even thought about! Yes, Icehotel excursions are the most expensive on the market, however we really do believe that they provide the best value. All passengers are fully insured and their guides and equipment used are of the highest of standards. In addition the hotel takes full responsibility for any problems with bookings or mishaps which should happen in the course of the trip. Excursions operated by some other companies can often be of an inferior standard and they are not always like for like. For example the duration time of an excursion might include long transfers from the Icehotel to the base of the operator. Of course we accept that many people have been perfectly happy with alternative excursions and I accept some of these are of a perfectly adequate standard but, like most things in life “buyer beware”!

Been to Icehotel? Share your experiences!