“Sami Culture Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Rancho Palos Verdes, California
4 attraction reviews
“Sami Culture Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I wnjoyed the history, the church next door was part of the experience. My nephews enjoyed the rheindeer rides, but I spent several hours in :geek history bliss: ! I was always fasinated by Sami culture and after my visit to this museum I am even more interested in such a great people and culture. The small gift shop had many great books and souvenirs. The staff at the museum went out of their way to be informative

Visited December 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
17 attraction reviews
“Watch out for hungry reindeer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Feed them through the fence and THEN enter the enclosure if you want to walk with them. (though when the food's gone they ignore you) If you walk into the enclosure with the food they can get really aggressive.

As other posters noted this is on the pricey side. I think they count on people held captive at the Ice Hotel up the street for the majority of their business. I didn't regret going but just know it'll be a quick trip - it's a small place and it's more educational than exciting.

Visited January 2014
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Nice museum for feeding reindeer and learning about Sami but not value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went to the Sami museum on 28th Dec and were excited to see the reindeer. There is a small open air museum about the Sami Culture. However we found this was not value for money as it cost around 200 SEK pp. However the lady at the reception did offer us tom come back next day during the day to watch reindeers again.

Visited December 2013
Gibraltar
23 attraction reviews
“impressive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I loved this experience I stumbled on it by accident as it wasn't too advertised we went to the church first which is beside apart from learning about the culture the guides certainly knew their stuff and everything was well documented with diagrams and pictures. I bought a few souvenirs in a shop there and also a hot chocolate in the cafe part of the shop, there too and we were able to buy bags of moss and feed the resident reindeer in the the enclosure which we did.

Visited February 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
11 attraction reviews
“Small, quaint, cozy + souvenirs & reindeer!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

It's easy to walk here from the Ice Hotel and you can also see the church next door at the same time (when they tried to convert the native Sami to Christianity). Interesting to see the Sami structures outdoors in the snow and to feed the reindeer some lichen. Indoors there is a small souvenir shop & cafe. We got the best souvenirs here! Sat and had a muffin and hot chocolate before walking back to the hotel in the snow. Lovely.

Visited January 2013