“Lovely location and grounds spoilt by petty issues” 3 of 5 stars

Corfu Chandris Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dassia Bay, Dassia 49100, Greece   |
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Dassia
durham
“Lovely location and grounds spoilt by petty issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I have read a lot of reviews about this hotel and a lot seem to be quite picky so I will try to be as fair as I can be.
The first impressions on arrival was that the grounds and hotel in my opinion were very nice. Yes the hotel is showing signs of age and may be in need or some updating but overall I was happy with the room we were given which was large room 438 which overlooked the gardens and looked directly onto the sea and beach. You get use of a free safe and the fridge which is a mini bar. I have been to other half board hotels where you pay for a safe and fridge so this was a bonus having use of these.
The room was clean and made up everyday and was fine, yes as mentioned the room was showing signs of tiredness but only if you really want to be picky.
The grounds are lovely with a number of villas scattered in the grounds which were a lot nicer that the rooms in the main building but you get what you pay for.
The drinks are expensive which meant that the hotel lacks any atmosphere on an evening as hardly anyone buys drinks meaning by 11pm the hotel is like a ghost town.
In relation to drinks in the restaurant I have been to a lot of Hal board hotels where you always have to buy your evening drinks with your meals so don't understand what some people are complaining that you have to buy drinks with your meals.
2.40 euros for a litre bottle water I thought was acceptable but agree 20euros for a bottle of wine was unacceptable as was all the other beverage prices. Most of those complaining about having to buy the bottles of water I have to say we're mainly other nationalities mainly Russian and Serbians who were having stand up arguments with the waitresses over this leaving the young girl waitresses sometimes in tears very arrogant ignorant people. It has to be said it didn't stop the same people filling up their bags with fruit,cakes etc to take out the restaurant after their meals
Food was good overall with always something to choose from salads really nice and sweets to die for.
Now for the really picky things which really annoyed the life out of me and others from my observations,THe SUN BED FIASCO.
AS mentioned the hotel has lovely grounds and pool area. The top pool only had 25 sun beds with the main lagoon pool have about 50 meaning they were taken up very early.
If you were lucky enough to grab a bed around the lagoon pool you then had the issue that if it got a bit windy as it did most afternoons then the lifeguards quickly ran around dropping the sunshades regardless whether you were lying in the shade or not saying it was a safety issue absolute rubbish as I never once thought the wind was strong enough to blow them over. This resulted in a number of guests moving the beds onto the grass area near the pool to try to get shade under the trees,after all a lot a people had young children needing shade.
Once this happened they were told they could not move onto the grass and told to move back this was absolutely farcical as if you moved onto the grass in front of the villas you were charged to use the beds regardless of if you were a resident or not.call me cynical but again this was just another ploy to get you to hire a bed on the grass. Another issue is that due to most other holiday makers using the beach and grass who were non residents these people would migrate up to the pool area to use the pool. I saw a number of people who were not from the hotel using the pool and sun-beds which again went unchallenged.
There must be a better way of sorting the sun bed issue out if you hire a bed then you get a ticket to slip in a plastic wallet why then can the hotel not issue residents with a voucher allowing then to use the beds on the grass after all the hotel owns the grass,yes charge non residents but I have never ever been to a hotel where you are charged to use a bed in the hotel grounds.
If the hotel sorted out these issues ie lowered the drink prices in line with the other nearby bars and the sun bed issue they would I believe see a marked up turn in revenue and happier guests.
My lasting memory of this hotel was spoilt by these petty issues and I would thing hard about returning because of them
Dassia is a bit run down but ok with a spattering of bars nearby and a supermarket straight out the front of the hotel.
You can walk to ipsos along the road or beach and is a pleasant walk.
Overall this could be a fab hotel if they got their act together regarding pricing and sun bed issues. We saw a load of sunbeds stacked up at the sister hotel which could be utilised on the grassed areas but sadly I suspect they are not used in an attempt to get money out of you.
Finally entertainment was really poor with yet again an attempt to get money by charging 5 euros for a bingo ticket to win a prize of a drink, come on
The hotel is mainly made up of other nationalities with a small proportion being English

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
ManolisPapadakisGM, General Manager at Corfu Chandris Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for the review from our Corfu Chandris hotel. I was happy to read you enjoyed our services and that you find the food “good overall with always something to choose from salads really nice and sweets to die for”. As per our beverage prices, these are in line with the respective prices of the Corfu four star hotels and not with the prices of some local bars. Concerning the sunbeds we have a great number of sunbeds around both pools and also within the resort enough to cover all our guests’ needs. Every day appointed staff such as the pool lifeguards and the beach boys are ready to assist you no matter where you are. For our reviewers as I received your review I have uploaded a picture of our Lagoon pool @ the trip advisor's hotel home pagel!!! However I am really happy that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay & looking forward welcoming you in our hotel in the near future.
Manolis A. Papadakis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Greek first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have just returned from 7 nights in August. We found the hotel to be pleasant enough and it was generally kept clean and tidy. In the rooms they do provide a fridge for a mini-bar and say you can't use it for anything else, but we did put drinks in there and there was never an issue. Each floor of the hotel had a water fountain so you could fill up water bottles. A free use of a safe in the room was good.

The pool area was pleasant but the usual problem of not enough beds for the size of the hotel. Also the pool didn't open until 10am which seemed quite late.

Food was generally good with a wide selection - from Greek to basic French fries. We didn't drink alcohol with our meals as a bottle of wine was about 20 Euros. Other drinks in the hotel were expensive, about 8 or 9 Euros. They had a few allocated happy hour times, yet the drinks were still expensive. We found a local bar along the beach with delicious 4 Euro cocktails.

The animation team (which seemed to consist of 2 girls) provided different activities during the day: stretching, aqua aerobics, table tennis, darts, water basketball and water polo competitions. They were okay, but we've experience far more enthusiastic staff elsewhere. The evening entertainment was quite poor. There really wasn't a lot to do in the evening. Bingo one night lasted about 15 minutes and cost 5 Euros. Most people tended to leave the hotel in the evening due to high drinks prices and a lack of entertainment.

Corfu town is worth a visit only 1.50 Euro single ticket by bus and its 30 minutes away. You can get bus tickets from the hotel shop. Dassia was not particularly interesting, with lots of the usual tourist shops.

The beach is next to the hotel and has a pebble beach but there is sand in the water. Be warned though, I was stung by a jellyfish whilst sat in shallow water.

Overall, a pleasant hotel but probably wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better and ask for a sea view. Brilliant to watch the Sun rise in the morning.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ManolisPapadakisGM, General Manager at Corfu Chandris Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I see you find housekeeping to a high standard & the food excellent with many choices. Thank you for your feedback concerning our beverage prices; glad that you consider the daily promotional offers and the happy hour program; however our beverage prices are in line with the respective ones in four star hotels with in the island of Corfu. Thank you for your feedback concerning the entertainment: for your information from next week we revised our program presenting totally new activity programs for the next coming months of September and October. We strive to provide our guests with the ultimate Chandris resort hotels experience and certainly hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Very nice hotel we were there in may for a week.The room was nice and big and cleaned every day.The swimming pool was nt heated which was a shame we had trouble getting a sunbed on a couple of days.The beach is ok but you have to pay for sunbeds hence all empty.Food was very nice and the staff work very hard and always very friendly.Drinks are very expensive we bought our drinks from the shop just two minutes down the road.We took a bus to corfu town worth a trip the bus stops outside the hotel you can buy your tickets from the shop in the hotel the people are lovely and don't hassel you when your looking round the shops.I Would definitely go back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ManolisPapadakisGM, General Manager at Corfu Chandris Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for your Lovely Trip Advisor review from Chandris Corfu hotel. I see you find housekeeping to a high standard & the food excellent with choices. I am pleased that our staff was friendly and efficient throughout your stay. Looking forward welcome you back again next summer.
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Upon arrival the receptionists were chatting amongst themselves only checking us in when they had finished talking.The room allocated to us was not the sea view as we requested this was changed without to much hassle,the second room had a better view but fridge and air con not up to standard these were reported fridge improved but air con never worked properly.The rooms are in need of an update as furnishing,tv bathroom are tired looking not what you'd expect from a 4 star hotel more like a 2 or 3 star.Drinks prices are a rip off 5.5 Euro's for a fresh orange juice ,3.5 Euro's for a coke,bar understaffed only one person serving,staff unpleasant.The entertainment team are not up to the job couldn't even organise a game of bingo supposed to start at 8:30 didn't start till about 9:45 and all over with by 10:00. Grounds and pool areas well maintained but pool closes at 7:00pm dont take kids as there is nothing for them after this time.Dassia as a resort is run down with many places closed.The dining area is more like a school cafe children running all over unsupervised an accident waiting to happen,tables were often cleared before people were finished eating, on several occasions were had to ask for drinks service there seems to be no organisation.The hotel has 3 lifts and on most days one of them was out of order for sometime.Our maid was the most pleasant member of staff we met during our 10 days here.Stefanos from Olympus Car Hire is a pleasant and helpful guy

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry that your experience was not up to your expectations. Concerning your room allocation I see you were offered alternative room upon arrival “without too much hassle». I take on board your comments for the room furnishing; the beverage prices and the entertainment appreciate you sending me your feedback. We appreciate your honest feedback and we will be working to continue improving our customer service. Again, thank you for your review and hope you'll give us another chance to prove our commitment to your comfort.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Fantastic hotel and lovely food. Rooms very large with good air conditioning + hairdryer.
Staff very friendly and helpful and rooms changed daily. 2 swimming pools but sadly not enough sunbeds at all for a hotel this size - we stayed by the larger pool and only had total of 20 beds! other pool was a family fun pool and was noisy all day long. There was a beach immediately at the end of the pool but you had to pay to use sunbeds - 5 euros per person per day! but if you told them you were with Thompsons then you only paid 2 euros each.Not much entertainment in the hotel at night - only a Greek night and you had to pay extra for that! No night life in Dassia - just restaurants with free wi-fi!! a must because you had to pay to use it in the hotel.
Food at lunch time in the hotel was expensive so we went to Alexs Bar or Erics Place across the
road from the hotel - most days we only spent up to 12 euros for the 2 of us.
Corfu Town is about 30 minutes on the bus (which is outside the hotel) and only cost 1.50 each way - a good day out for shopping! A good relaxing, hot holiday that I would thoroughly recommend!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room overlooking the pool to see a full sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to apologize with the number of sunbeds around the small swimming pool but safety comes first! However we do have a lot more of sun beds around the Lagoon pool and I see you mention that. I am pleased that you find the staff friendly and helpful and you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Again thank you for your review and look forward to see you in our hotels very soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just got back on 23/08/2013 from 2 weeks at the Corfu Chandris hotel.
Nice clean hotel room with good daily cleaning. Lovely hotel grounds with 2 big swimming pools - plus use of the Dassia Chandris hotel next door.
Buffet food was very good, hard to stop myself eating ! Restaurant staff were very helpful.
Hotel is righ on the beach, which is very gently sloping and calm and warm sea ideal for kids. Plus lots of watersports on offer - shop around the watersports providers as we found the ones about 200 meters to the left up the beach were cheaper and extremely friendly.
Theres a good gym that looks out on the pool too.
On the negative side, there were nowhere near enough sunbeds around the pools, most of them being "reserved" very early in the morning.
Also the hotel lifts are very small, old and temperemental - and need replacing.
As others have mentioned the prices of drinks in the hotel bars was high, and forces people to go to the other bars and hotels nearby.
I found the entertainment to be fairly poor and often went to other hotels or bars down the beach. There were clearly enough kids and young people around for there to be a beach bar with disco open every day, but they only seemed to do this every 3 or 4 days, and the rest of the time there were things like a boring and late bingo, a couple singing old songs, and greek dancing that was interesting.
Although there was an outdoor cinema I didnt see any films for kids.

Dassia itself is small, but the bus outside can get you easily to Corfu town, which has castles, museums, churches and shops to explore.

Overall the hotel is very nice, and do not listen to reviews that would try to tell you otherwise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your extensive Trip Advisor review from Chandris Corfu hotel. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and find our rooms very clean and the staff very helpful. I see you find in our buffets a lot of variety at breakfast and dinner time and you enjoyed our services overall. I take on board your feedback concerning the entertainment; appreciate your recommendation for future holiday makers in our hotels!!!
Looking forward welcome you back again next summer.
Llantrisant, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here for a week before a cruise. Hotel did not disappoint, yes it is ageing a little but the facilities and location are excellent. Made use of the open air cinema on a number of occasions and very much enjoyed the films on display. Cleaning of room and public areas was to a high standard. Food was excellent - good choice and quality. Staff were friendly and efficient. The grounds and pools were maintained to high standard. Drinks were expensive - although this did eliminate any drunken behavior by the guests. Had room with a view to the south toward Gouvia with stunning views. Made extensive use of the gym facilities which also are of a high standard. In all a very enjoyable stay would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a relaxed stay in a beautiful location. Many thanks to the hotel staff who work incredibly hard to maintain this complex.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor with rooms facing south or east for a sea view. Rooms which face north have a m...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManolisPapadakisGM, General Manager at Corfu Chandris Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I see you find our housekeeping to a high standard & the food excellent with plenty of choices. I am pleased that our staff was friendly and efficient throughout your stay.Thank you for your recommendation to anyone who’s looking for a relaxed stay in a beautiful location. We look forward welcoming you again next summer.
Bet regards
Manolis A. Papadakis

Been to Corfu Chandris Hotel? Share your experiences!