“airport transportation warning” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel

You added BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel to your Saves list
BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza Volateria 3, Poligono Mas Blau, 08820 El Prat de Llobregat, Spain   |
Omaha, Nebraska
“airport transportation warning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

This hotel says that it has an airport shuttle but it only operates to/from one terminal. Terrible service. When you arrive airport and have never been there, how do you know what terminal you are at and that the hotel shuttle doesn't come there unless on special request? Very bad if you don't have a cell phone that works in Spain, which apparently mine didn't, although it worked fine in other counties in Europe. So there I am, waiting and waiting, and no shuttle ever comes. Finally some other travelers in the same situation were able to contact hotel which eventually sent shuttle. Hotel management completely unsympathetic to the plight of the arriving traveler. THEN, the A/C didn't work that night so it was a miserable night's sleep. Never again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Rooms were very nice and modern for a really low rate. It was close to the airport but when we went out in the city we had to take a cab back to the hotel which wasnt cheap. Service was good I would stay again if i needed to be by the airport. I really only chose this place because of the price and modern pictures but if you want a convenient place id look elsewhere

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

So, we went to Spain & Italy for my in-laws 35th wedding anniversary. We were taking a 7-day cruise out of Barcelona and stayed at this hotel 1 1/2 days before we left for our cruise and 1 1/2 days before the cruise left and 2 days after it got back. We were traveling with my parent in-laws, my husband, and my sister-in-law and her husband.

When we arrived, there was a free shuttle that picked us up from the airport (around 10am after we got through customs). I think this is when a lot of US based flights get in to Barcelona. Line was pretty long to get on the shuttle when we got there...we just missed the one before we got there and then had to wait about 30 minutes for the next one. Then once that one got there, we almost didn't even get on that one. It was complimentary though, so what can you say...we were just so tired from being on the plane, that we just wanted to get to the hotel.

Once we arrived at the hotel, they took our luggage, but the line was significantly long to check in. Then there were no rooms available for us. We had booked 2 rooms and none were available when we checked in. They gave us a window of 2 hrs until our room would be ready. We WERE trying to check in early, but we thought we might try to give it a chance to get a room(s). No such luck, but understandable. So, we headed downstairs to the bar to get a bite to eat.

Bar food...it's okay, definitely basic hotel food...expensive and so-so. The roasted chicken though was pretty good. For 6 of us, ran us about 85 Euro...too much, but we were so hungry.

2pm rolled around and no rooms available. They said that because we were asking for double beds, that it would take longer...despite our request on our reservation for double rooms ahead of time. So, we attempted to just take what we can get and get a king with a rollaway. They were able to accomodate and we all headed up to the room and totally crashed for 2 hrs, then our 2nd room was available. Bathrooms are interesting. Showers leak, strange logistical set up with drain in the stand up showers. One of our rooms only had a stand up shower and the other had a tub with a class partition instead of shower curtain. Both leaked quite a bit. One of our toilets was not secured to the ground and would often tip while you got up from the toilet.

Decor is interesting. Lobby is dark with plenty of seating. Probably because they get a lot of cruise ship business, they have to be able to accommodate the crowds who are waiting around for shuttles or rooms. They have a little coffee/cafe section off the side of the lobby...beware, expensive prices!!! Complimentary coffee is available just off to the side of the lobby and cheaper waters are available in the gift "shop" (more like wall area) behind the front desk. They have snacks available there as well. Definitely, cheaper way to go if you're desperate. Concierge services were very helpful. We bought the discount packages for the Barcelona tourist buses that go around town from the concierge desk. Bought the two day passes, which proved to be very convenient when we went to Barcelona. We ended up using the tourist bus as our transportation to get around town as opposed to taking taxis everywhere.

We took taxis the first night we were there. The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle, but it only runs at certain times, so we didn't mind on the taxis to get where we needed to go when we needed to get there. The taxis run about 20-30Euro per trip depending where you leave from. The hotel also offers a shuttle service that runs later than the complimentary shuttle that is 7Euros and drops you in downtown Barcelona (where you could redeem your tourist bus passes and pick up the bus) and then picks you up near Las Ramblas.

Since we booked our hotel as part of of our cruise, they had a pretty good price that included room, shuttle to cruise ship, and breakfast buffet. I would have to say, that the breakfast buffet was my favorite part of the hotel. Yummy Yummy spread. Great coffee per my husband, and great variety. Pastries tasted super fresh, and the cheese was so good. They offered a nice selection of breakfast juices, and hearty and healthy options.

They will send out your mail...and if you don't have postage, you can pay them and they will postmark your mail (postcards). We sent ours when we got there....it took 2-3 weeks for our postcards to get to the states, but the front desk staff was very courteous in regards to our request to put in their mail.

Worst of all, there must be a mosquito issue in the hotel. I was going to just shrug it off to summer time and just chance....but one mosquito bite was so bad that it stuck around with me even when I got back to the states and even a while after we had been back. Also, I was not the only victim...my sister-in-law and her husband both got eaten alive in their separate rooms. Strange coincidence.

The beds were comfortable...but not great. Pillows smelled of mildew, that I had to spray my perfume on them to mask the scent.

Overall...wasn't terrible...but if I had it to do all over again, I would have spent more to stay closer to the cruise port and/or closer to Barcelona. Sorry Renaissance:(

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

Would I stay again...probably if with kids. Only, because it was inexpensive compared to other hotels downtown Barcelona (with kids), and the beds were comfortable. There was AC, and yes, we needed it in October because of the stuffiness in the hotel. There was a shuttle, but we only found it convenient in the morning. Evening cabs cost about 20Euros...though if during rush hour time that would be more. We were put on the 4th floor which was being remodeled so the hallway looked bad. Only one ice-maker on 1st floor. Requested a bottle opener..never came, luckily husband found one in his travel kit. Food service about 1hr. Food quality...ok but very expensive. Eat out. Definitely be downstairs and ready for the shuttle...many people and if miss, you'll have to wait another hour...did that one day.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Scunthorpe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights prior to our cruise and one night following our cruise. I inadvertently left my Digital SLR worth £450 in the closet locked in the room when we checked out. We left on the shuttle to go to cruise ship and as soon as I realised - within half hour - I telephoned the hotel to tell them I had left my camera in the room. They said they would get it from the room and send it on the next shuttle. I phoned back to inquire if they were sending my camera and they told me it wasn't in the room and I must have left it somewhere else. I told them as soon as I had my case I would check it , but I did and it wasn't in my case which I knew it wouldn't be!! I told them they had 7 days to check with all the staff and hopefully they would get it back.

When we got back I spoke to the duty manager who said I must have left my camera elsewhere as it wasn't in the room. I told her I was a 100% sure it was left in the closet and there was no way I had it. she said a member of staff would accompany me to the police, I thought this would mean they would take me. No this meant I would have to pay for a taxi and she said the police wouldn't come to the hotel!!

I spoke to another guest who was there on the same day my camera was stolen and she said she had an expensive necklace and earrings stolen from her room too.

I felt they did not deal with my complaint at all and more or less made me feel they did not believe me!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these El Prat de Llobregat hotels

Hillsborough, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

I'm a little remiss in posting my review. My wife and I stayed here actually stayed here twice both before and after our Mediterranean cruise in May. At the time we stayed here, the room rates were going for 320 euros a night. That's $450! This is when you use your points which I did for both stays.

As many have stated, the lines to check in at times (especially during cruise ship season) can be incredibly long. On both days that we checked in, there had to be upwards of 20-30 people waiting on line with only two people working the front desk. Being a Marriott Platinum member, a separate representative from the hotel greets you at the front door with your room keys and escorts you directly to your room bypassing any wait at the front desk. But if you don't have this status, be prepared for possibly a very long wait.

The staff at the hotel were all very friendly and very helpful. We wanted to spend some time in the heart of the city and the best way (and the cheapest), is to take the public bus which starts and ends right outside the front door of the hotel. Be careful once you get into Barcelona however. The last stop drops you off in the middle of one of the main plazas in Barcelona (right across from the old soccer stadium). When returning back to the hotel, you cannot board the bus at the same stop. You need to go to another bus stop approx. 1/3 of the way around the plaza. This can be very confusing (especially at night) and unlike the hotel, no one speaks English either waiting for the bus or driving the bus. So make sure you know where you're going and how to get back before you leave. It's really not that bad so don't be afraid to use the public transportation. Buses and subways are an excellent and relatively easy way to get around even if you don't speak Spanish.

The hotel itself has a modern look. The public areas and rooms are in decent shape although I did see some water damage on one of the hallway walls on my floor and some of the room doors and furniture in the room had a few scuff marks here and there but nothing major. While the beds look like the new Marriott beds in the states, they only look that way. Once you lay down you can feel that they are pretty much like standard mattresses. Not terrible but not that great either. The rooms were a little on the small side even though we were in the Elite wing which I was told had larger rooms than the standard rooms. Bathrooms were a nice size with double sinks and even had a towel warming rack.

The Elite lounge (if you have access to it), serves breakfast, snacks, appetizers, desserts and like most European Elite lounges, offers free beer and some free alcohol. Considering the prices in the hotel restaurant (which many other reviews have complained about), this is a nice free option if you're a Marriott Elite member or you may want to consider upgrading and paying for access if you're not. The lounge also has two computers with free internet. You do have to stake out a spot in line (sometimes the wait can be a half hour or more), but just grab a beer, some french bread and cheese and wait you turn. It sure beats paying the $35 a day the hotel charges!

Besides the ultra high cost, slow service and generally low quality of the food in the restaurant (as others have all universally proclaimed), I also agree with everyone's assessment of the so called "gym" in the basement. It is the dankest, smelliest, most dreadful gym facility I have ever seen in any Marriott/Renaissance property in the entire world. If the hotel needs to improve anything immediately, it's their gym.

I would give this hotel a three out of five star rating. Positives are the staff, the Elite lounge and the rooms overall are nice. While I don't think a five star rating would ever be possible, it could easily jump to four stars if they simply improved on the quality of the restaurant and did something to make their gym usable.

As the title of my review stated, this is a good choice if your not paying (using points). But if you have to pay more than say 100 euros a night, I'd look elsewhere. Especially closer to the city.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010 via mobile

This hotel is clean and modern and very comfortable, almost elegant for an airport hotel. The food is delicious, the rooms are clean and modern and comfortable and a little bit cool. The rooms are small but normal on european standards. The hotel shuttle service is good but the van is small and if it fills up you are out of luck. There is great paid shuttle service to downtown. The only bad thing was service at check in, the reception was cold and rude.

• Stayed October 2010

Been to BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!