“My 2 year old has less of a temper-----long but worth the read” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel

Save Saved
You added BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel to your Saves list
BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Plaza Volateria 3, Poligono Mas Blau, 08820 El Prat de Llobregat, Spain   |
Toronto, Canada
“My 2 year old has less of a temper-----long but worth the read”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Well where do I even start with this hotel???? I have been to over 35 countries, stayed in over 1000 different hotels, met hundreds if not thousands of people and never once have I had the service I did here... Our stay started when we missed our flight home to Toronto .. We decided since we had been through so much in the past 24 hours we would stay at a "classy" hotel to ease our restless evening.... This was far from classy..... We are a lesbian couple and when asked for a room we were automatically given 2 twin beds with no other option- the gentleman at the front desk said we would be able to switch rooms the next day....that never happened, when we asked they said it wasn't possible.... However He was so helpful that we let it go, we thought we had made a great decision with this hotel but had no idea what was about to come...

First they say on the map that it is less than 3 k from the airport, but After a 30 euro cab fare we found that was not the case... Aside from that we enjoyed the first night in the first comfy beds we slept in since home.... however our ac was not working and woke up the next morning in a sweat....The shower was leaking and made the tile extremely slippery..in addition we had to pay an outrageous price to use the Internet... Which never worked and took 1 hour just to load a couple pages- if you stood in the right spot with your device pointing in a certain direction....we were given a free 24 hours which didn't help because the connection was terrible...you are also only allowed 1 device.....We thought about moving hotels but both decided we didn't want to go through the hassle so we stayed for the remainder of our time in Barcelona.... Our Visa or debit cards from Canada were not accepted and we had to go to the bank which charged us 77 euro for every 200 euro withdrawn... We stayed in room 148 at 95 euro per night, on the 4th morning we checked out due to an early flight but were told by the night staff that we could stay til our flight left for a half night and pay half the price.... After getting food poisoning we returned to the hotel to take them up on the half night offer, and check back in since it would only be half the price we thought it would work out perfectly.... This was definitely not the case-when we asked to speak to the manager, the gentleman we were talking too informed us he was the manager and told us this was not possible, that they don't ever offer this discount too anyone and whoever told us that was "lying"... We were extremely upset and frustrated especially because I was so sick all I wanted was a bathroom and a bed... After feeling defeated we finally agreed to pay full price, we were given the keys to room 150 with a KING size bed a stunning bathroom, including a bathtub... A complete difference for the same rate??? Seems a little unreasonable to me... So we put our stuff down and relaxed

After several hours, I started feeling a bit better so we decided to order room service for the 3rd time this week- with not much to chose from on the ridiculously overpriced menu- we chose the pizza and club sandwich ... The pizza that was not even palatable she literally could not even eat it. And we are not very picky eaters....the club sandwich was delicious..after a bill from the day before of 23 euro for 2 waters and a coke we were told by the staff to purchase the drinks at the reception instead of room service because it is much cheaper... All 3 times we signed a paper and payed the following morning, the lady who brought our food called down to the reception to make sure paying the next day would be okay, the phone was passed to my gf and they agreed the following day was fine, but When my gf went to get us the drinks the "manager" made such a big deal of us paying later that we almost had to go to the bank yet again across the street to be charged almost as much as we were withdrawing...

I like to include names on my reviews so people are forewarned before approaching a hotel in a strange country... Enrique the bus boy answered the phone when I asked for the managers name on duty- he asked me why I needed the names, so I told him it was for a review of the hotel and the service we received during our stay... He said "no" and hung up the phone on me- I finally had it after so many little issues and decided I would go down to the reception and discuss this with them ....before I had my sweater on I heard a very loud and startling knock at our door... 2 men standing in front of us, one the "manager" - Gilleam and the bus boy Enrique- before I could even fully open the door Enrique's temper filled our room. He had his hands flying everywhere attacking us with his attitude and the inability to converse with customers of the hotel.. He immediately raised his voice to us asking why we needed the names of the 2 employees and automatically thought we were complaining about the bill being payed the following morning.. AGAIN with the same minuscule issue... He would not let us explain the issue we actually had, and kept cutting us off, when he called us crazy that was my last straw... when finally I blew up at him and said we only wanted to speak to the "manager" and request Enrique not be present because of his attitude problem he finally backed off and walked away.... The manager then informed us he was not the manager, that there was no manager on duty at this time - so he lied to us in the lobby and proceeded to lie throughout the evening, us believing that there was no one else to discuss our issues with at a higher level other than the wait staff and front reception... He explained to us the situation and position in which he was in, making it seem like everything was our fault.... We were given the wrong information about the rules of the hotel And the other staff should have never let us pay later or tell us about any discounts.... After the same procedure is followed day in and day out how do you expect us to know any different? especially when we are told 5 different things by different staff members throughout the course of our stay...As Gilleam was talking to us Enrique came back and stood behind him covering his mouth and laughing and waking away then coming back as if to cool off his temper or something...when we confronted him about his temper and childish behaviour, he started denying his actions and said he never called us crazy he said the situation was crazy.. But We heard him very clearly..... I was actually a bit scared he was going to do something else..

I mean for the price we are paying for this place I would have thought the service would have been impeccable..We were so disappointed in the behaviour of Enrique and find it hard to believe he has been employed here for so long.... I can't even describe the amount of issues we had during the last 12 hours of our stay...Alot of little issues are often worse than one large issue...

An extra euro per person per night that is not mentioned until check out... I've had better stays at $5.00 per night hostels all over Asia, at least the staff was friendly and kind and treated you like royalty even when paying a measly 5 bucks...I will never ever stay here nor will I ever recommend this place to anyone-- it's no wonder they had to change the name of the hotel... Im assuming because they went belly up do to their lack of service... We read the other reviews and laugh at the fact that they say to other negative reviewers to come back that things have changed, but I find that hard to believe as we just experienced the same thing as they did years ago. I'm not usually one to complain about small things that don't matter but when you feel threatened its something to inform others about...there are a thousand other hotels in the area I suggest you chose one of them...

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank F, Guest Relations Manager at BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your comments, with them we get to know your opinion of your stay and you give us the opportunity of answering, of apologizing when needed, and of explaining in any case.
I have read carefully all what you state, and checked with our staff to see what happened those four days of your stay (three days of the first booking, and the fourth night when you decided to come back to stay for a fourth night) and after evaluating the situation I have come to some conclusions I politely proceed to explain you bellow.
Let me start with the firsts comments where you say that you are a lesbian couple. With them and with your attitude along your stay between us you infer that we discriminated you for being lesbians. You and all our future guests should know that is completely false, (you even tried, at the same hotel, to accuse us during your stay, of being treated wrongly because you were lesbians (!)).
For what is previously said, I should say that you were given two twin beds because we did not have any other kind of room and this is the only and clear reason of us offering you this room option. I would like you to accept my excuses if you had a different feeling, but you can believe me; no discrimination is admitted at our Hotel.
For the matter of the distance to the Airport, in fact this Hotel is only 1.7km far away from the airport and not 3km as you were said, and the 30€ fare is due to the very special fare that is always charged by taxi drivers when departing from the Airport to wherever their clients need to go out of the airport, even to a so close place like our Hotel. Please check our Web page or our Facebook where you will find very useful information of how to get to the Hotel FOR FREE.
Regarding the issue of AC, and shower, please always ask for help at the Front Desk or to any of our employees, we will be more than delighted to help you by sending the maintenance service, or for changing the room. I would like you to accept my excuses on behalf of the Hotel.
For the wifi service, you can be sure that we are trying to change our protocols but sometimes it is not so easy. Thank you for your understanding in this matter too.
For the discrepancies with rates, I should say that it was not possible to offer you such a rate as you say since we simply do not have it. Most Hotels consider a “Dayuse” stay a stay from 9 am until 18h more or less, and you checking in in the afternoon and planning to leave at 3 in the morning did not accomplish the “Dayuse” case.
I inform you and all the guests, it is quite usual, and since you are such a traveller and have been to so many hotels I am sure that you know it, hotels usually ask for a credit card to their clients at the check in time, not only for the payment of the room but for guaranteeing the payment of the extras and to open a credit line. Most of problems in this case happened because your credit cards did not work properly and that was neither your fault nor ours. We politely asked you to pay in advance as our protocols of payment say, and even made some exceptions only for your commodity but that became into a kind of conflict.

It is here where I would like to express you my sincere excuses if we committed any mistake and made you feel bad. Our staff is focused on making of your stay a wonderful stay and we are trained to face any kind of situation but unfortunately we are not perfect (though we try it). Our employees are prepared to resolve conflicts and in this case, where a big misunderstanding was born, it was not easy solve a difficult situation where the Hotel payment rules were being stressed, being our staff accused of being homophobic. Even being yelled and not well treated by a guest situation should end being a successful experience but we failed here. You can be sure that we will go on working with our staff so that we can treat successfully difficult situations as the ones described by you.
For the matter of the one euro not mentioned at the check in time. Sorry for this but we do it like this to make the check in more fluent.
Bearing in mind all said above, I would like you to accept my excuses again where we committed mistakes, and please try to understand our position when conflicts happen, especially in your case that you travel so much and stay in so many countries and hotels, not only for the benefit of the same hotels, but for yours.
Thank you very much for your help and understanding,
Best regards,
Frank Ferrer. GRS. FOM (A)

751 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had planned only one night here, returning from France, prior to a flight next morning but as rain was forecast for France, we decided to book an extra night to take advantage of the Barcelona sunshine and the hotel pool. Our bedroom was perfect - huge comfortable bed, and large bathroom. Like other reviewers, we discovered that you could wash the bathroom walls and floor just by turning on the shower! I know, we should have listened!! We had a pleasant lunch in the Albastra bar, but were disapppointed to find that the pool had not yet been filled, nor was there anywhere nice to sit outdoors. At the room rates being charged, I would have expected free w-fi, but no, I would have had to pay. We decided to travel into Barcelona to eat on our 1st night, and while taxis cost around 20 euro each way (the hotel shuttle service to Barcelona has been withdrawn) we thought it preferable to eating in an airport hotel for 2 nights. , On our 2nd night, there appeared to be a block booking in the restaurant for a cruise ship clientel and while I am sure their 20 euro meal (which we were offered) was perfectly fine, it wasn't very inspiring so we again travelled into Barcelona.
I would stay here again, but it's a shame that we were not made aware of the lack of shuttle bus and the closed swimming pool, for we may have made a less costly choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank F, Guest Relations Manager at BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

After reading your comments I would like you to accept my excuses on behalf of the Hotel.

I am very sorry for the shuttle misinformation. Our swimming pool will be closed until next moth since it is too cold to swimm outdoors. Our restaurant has a new spring menu, we hope you enjoy this new restaurant options.

Please accept my excuses for any inconvenience caused, I promish you this will not happen again, and feel free to contact with me for future visits, I will be delighted to assist you.

Thank you very much for your help and understanding,
Best regards,

Frank Ferrer. GRS. FOM (A).
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This architecturally interesting modern hotel is located a free 5 minute shuttle ride from Barcelona airport and is extremely convenient for flying in/out. Shuttles are also available into the city, for a price, or for a much cheaper price a frequent public bus service runs into the city from right outside the hotel. Personally, I'd recommend taking the public bus, you see more of the real Barcelona and its people that way - try and get the limited stop express if you can, It's somewhat faster (about 30 mins v 45 mins for the stopping service). The hotel staff will furnish you with a timetable and tell you where to board the bus and which services are express, etc.

This hotel is very well appointed and the staff are very friendly and helpful. It is a cheaper alternative to staying in the city if you don't mind the bus/shuttle rides. If your package includes breakfast, there is a wide selection of food available, all well prepared, and the hotel has very comfortable lounges where you can relax and while away the time. We did have one hilarious incident when my wife turned on the shower and the nozzle reared up like a cobra over the shower glass and sprayed the entire bathroom, me included. I saw another reviewer had the same experience, so be warned!

I'd recommend trying a the local beer while at the hotel - it is brewed in the Damm brewery which is literally right across the road and the Estrella Damm is an excellent brew.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and I would highly recommend it for those travellers who don't need to be right in the heart of the city late into the night (otherwise you'll be forking out for a taxi ride back to the hotel).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This used to be part of Marriot chain but no longer a Renaissance - just Barcelona Airport Hotel. They spent a fortune on the design and furnishings. Very modern and creative interior and nice rooms; bath was also deluxe except as others have noted, the shower head is small and lightweight so it sprays everywhere when turned on. Nice bar and restaurant but we did not get a chance to eat there. The staff was very very helpful in everyway; showed us how to print out boarding passes; came to room when phone did not work and ordered us room service for us. Gave us one free wifi pass since we had 2 devices but for 24 hrs it still cost around 12 Euros for connecting. When we stopped to fill us gas for rental car near airport, the cashier told us where the hotel was and it was not hard to find as others have said. It seemed very empty when we stayed there in early April; not sure why but we would stay there again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
South Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Nice and clean rooms really good breakfast!! but my only problem was that they lost our luggage after waiting over one hour almost missed our fly we had to take a taxi because of how late we were they had brought our luggage to some other guests and when the guest found oud it wasn't his luggage he called the front desk!!! and that's how they found our luggage it was a nightmare!!!!

Room Tip: Just be carefull with your luggage.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Great staff and very attentive.
The room was comfortable and modern with big bathroom.
The hotel provides free airport shuttle bus which was convenient.
Nice buffet breakfast.
Overall, it was good value and had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Frank F, Guest Relations Manager at BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your lovely comments!! We celebrate you enjoyed breakfast so much!!
Frank Ferrer. GRS. FOM.
Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I flew in from Palma to catch an early morning flight to Montreal. It was a mess from the get-go. I booked the hotel online and there is not much information provided on how to get to the hotel from the airport. I looked into the map, and it appeared less than 5KM from the airport. I thought I will take a taxi. Upon arrival at BCN, it did not make sense as the taxi driver refused to go for such a short haul, and will be charging 30 Euros anyways. I enquired at the information desk inside the airport, and they said to take the hotel shuttle available outside which runs in every 20 minutes. I waited for about an hour, and debated to take a taxi regardless. Around that time I saw the hotel shuttle passing by, and flagged it down. The driver was doubtful and asked what I wanted. Asking for the ride he said, “Why are you standing here? The shuttle stops only in Terminal 2 and I was “happened” to pass by Terminal 1 on my way to Terminal 2. I don’t pick up passengers from Terminal 1”. So what should I have done, I asked. He said, “Call the hotel when you arrive, and they will give instructions”. A news to me! How do I call, there is no phone in the terminal. Although I had the phone number handy, my cell won’t work in Europe. As I boarded the shuttle, I saw another 6 passengers got on. They were all as baffled as I was.
Feeling lucky to catch the shuttle, after waiting for an hour, I reach the hotel. Now, the second problem. It took way too long (20 minutes) to get to the counter for check in. After all said and done it was over 2.5 hours by the time I’m in my room since I deplaned. I won’t talk about the room as I generally agree with other reviewers. However, I must mention two other things may benefit you. There is absolutely nothing around the hotel other than other hotels – Nothing! So, you are restricted to spend your time in the hotel. I think there is a shuttle service to Barcelona Downtown for a fee, but unless you have 6 plus hours to kill, it’s not practical. Food was good quality, but incredibly expensive in the hotel. Therefore you don’t have any choice but to avail the dining facility at high cost. You are better off grabbing something from the airport if possible on your way to the hotel.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter, but naturally lower floors
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, they are a help since they make us improve.

Referring to the shuttle service I would like you to accept my appologies on behalf of the Hotel for what seems a misunderstanding. In fact the entire and correct information for our shuttles can be found on our web and also on our Facebook. I would recommend to double check this information before coming to avoid this kind of anoying situations.

Please see how our shuttles work as follows:

If you are arriving at Terminal T1

When arriving to the arrival hall of Terminal T1, you will find the
luggage belt on level 1. Stay on this level, and when coming through
the security check-point, follow the signs that will indicate P-G for Parking G, see the example sign:
Keep straight following the above mentioned P-G signs. At the end you will find staircases and an
elevator going one level down to the hotel shuttle bus stop.

If you are arriving at Terminal T2A, T2B & T2C.
At Terminal T2 we have 1 stop, at Terminal T2B. The bus stops is marked with a sign that says
“HOTEL BUS”. Please note that T2 shuttle service is available upon request. Please contact
the Hotel by telephone on the number 933783200 for pick-up service.
Terminal T2B; exit the building and walk to your right until you find the sign “HOTEL BUS”

I repeat I am very sorry for any inconvience lived here, our first aim is you to enjoy a wonderful stay.

Thank you very much again for your help and understanding,
Best regards,

Frank Ferrer. GRS. FOM (A).

Been to BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!