“Love , Tea and Art at "The Drawing Room"” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Tapas, Wine Bar, Tea Room
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We're ten years old, we've evolved along the way...you can see this video from 2008 youtu.be/_0GQ_Tx_Pxw which tells part of the story...and more has happened since. So, come, stay with us a while and experience your own Drawingroom moment!
London
“Love , Tea and Art at "The Drawing Room"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

“Greet each day with love in your heart” was ‘The drawing room’ mantra given to me on a piece of paper by the owner Richard, his welcome was unmistakably genuine and his conversation put all his customers at ease.

The Drawing room located in Chesham is tucked away behind a row of quant shops right in the centre of town and is set in a private court yard. Inside the building my friend Paul and I were pleasantly surprised to find we were in a cosy living room and with speed we sat down to rest and enjoy the ambiance.

There was good home cooked food on the menu, I ordered and tucked greedily into a baked potato topped with tuna mayonnaise and cheese, accompanied by a proper cup of tea served in a teapot and a tea strainer to-boot!

Exploring the rest of the building I found a small lounge upstairs that had multi cushioned seating along every wall with a table in the centre creating a bohemian private space perfect for a large group of friends whose celebration might test other diners due to their loud laughter and the chinking of glasses.

But there is history as well as art throughout the building, paintings, crafts and jewellery adorn the walls and every visible surface not used for dining. My first impression of The Drawing room was that of a scene from Alice in Wonderland. It was therefore no surprise to me when I learnt that this historical building with it’s low beamed ceilings was once home to Roger Crab the very character on which Lewis Carol based the ‘Mad Hatter’.

The Drawing room was constructed at some point during the 1600’s from old timber possibly from Spanish ships and has been an Ale house, an art gallery and now in the 21st century it hosts some of the best musical acoustic evenings around. Richard and his friendly staff are carving a new history which I feel sure will go down one day in legend.

A truly magical place!!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
drawingroomrichard, Owner at The Drawingroom, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Like a breath of fresh air, you came, found us and soaked up this place. Thank you, you write beautifully and you left no stone un-turned! I do hope you will return to Chesham, to The Bagnall Centre and perhaps to discover even more of the delights this amazing town has to offer..do let me know when. rx

Little Chalfont, United Kingdom
“Very small portions”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Went into The Drawingroom today for lunch, it was hot and lovely sitting outside.

I ordered a 5 cheese toasty with bacon for £5.50 (or there about). What a rip off, a very small sandwich cut in half with a small tomato next to it.

Wont be going back again until they up the size of their portions, or lower their prices.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Our mistake, it appears only part of the order went to the table, sorry. Please, on a future occasion, say something at the time, it can be fixed and put right, right now all I can do is to hope you return so we can make amends!
London, United Kingdom
“If you have an hour or two....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I have not been back to The Drawing Room for a while as service last time was very slow. Now don't get me wrong this is a lovely relaxing venue and I admire how young adults are given the working opportunity but when it takes 35 minutes for a pot of tea to be served I would ask if some element of supervision can be added to help the young staff. It is a refreshing venue to enjoy especially compared to the main high street coffee chains but please can service be improved

• 3 of 5 stars Food
I cannot imagine why or what you thought you were looking to achieve in writing such a damming report for TripAd. It cannot have escaped your knowing the impact being graded so poorly as you have done. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you don’t have the right to write anything you like about any business …that’s your prerogative, your choice. You however know me well enough to call me directly and say…Richard, something’s not working, just as well as you knew to ask, ‘I’ve sent some confidential info to you by mistake, can you get rid of it?’….and know it was as good as gone and deleted.

Had you called me at the time, even if I were not there, I would have had the opportunity to find and fix something…did you go to the kitchen and ask had your order been missed? …you’ve been coming here long enough to know the form…or did you sit there stewing? As it happens, all you have done is publicly hurt and humiliate this place.

Since my heart attack I have tried to encourage more and more from my staff thus reducing the amount of hours I spend here and for the most part people have understood and accepted this change as necessary. If we’ve fallen down (not that I might expect to see you anytime soon) please have the good grace to express your unhappiness at the time rather than venting off later when it serves no purpose or remedy.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Interesting cafe restaurant with tasty Lebanese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I've been recently for the second time. Both times I found it to be a nice relaxed, quirky yet friendly atmosphere and good food. Definitely worth a visit if in Chesham.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
drawingroomrichard, Owner at The Drawingroom, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Sire, how kind and thank you for returning....seems from other reviews I've been dropping a few balls....so I am most grateful for your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back here soon. Best wishes r
London, United Kingdom
“Quirky Place with great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

This was the first time I visited Chesham High Street, & was delighted to come across this lovely cafe/restaurant.

The venue is tucked in a mew but I was attracted by the smell of food & then saw the little courtyard. The inside is as charming as the outside, & all the staff are very welcoming, from the owner to the student waitresses.

The food was interesting & if I weren't on my own, I'd have loved to try their tapas menu. I enjoyed my cheese toasties with sun-dried tomatoes. Yes, it's small like another reviewer mentioned before, but it is very filling & come with crisps, so no complaints. And it's good to leave some space to try the desert, which are gluten free, the lemon drizzle slice I had tasted good!

As it was a bit chilly, I didn't stay in the lovely courtyard & went indoor. I lunched on the top floor. The ambiance there is a bit less bohemian compared to the other bits, but since it was full I'm glad I was served quickly. May I suggest comfier chairs for that area?

All in all, a happy customer & will return when I visit Chesham again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
drawingroomrichard, Owner at The Drawingroom, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
How kind you took the time to write, thank you. Yep, chairs are on the list...along with a refit redecorate and rethink coming in September. I do hope you will return for Wapas and we will also have some pop up menus this summer....last night we had a raw foods and vegan....with Sicilian and Jamaican on the agenda...love and best wishes r