“Historic But Decor A Bit Tired” 3 of 5 stars

Latimer Place
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Latimer, Chesham HP5 1UG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Historic But Decor A Bit Tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Was here on a 3 day course so no relaxing for me! Corporate bedrooms were in a separate block and were small and basic with poor ventilation and no air conditioning which for a De Vere is unacceptable in 2013. Main house had some nice period features, the public rooms were big and atmospheric, food was very good - especially as we had to eat from a set menu, breakfast was buffet style and also very nice and well cooked. Staff were attentive and helpful. Lovely setting in lush countryside which I would have explored if I had the time. I would select this hotel for its location nice food and atmosphere, just make sure no training is going on as we had 100's of ex Uni students everywhere clogging up the public rooms and the bar - so no very relaxing even when you had finished your work. Also quite stuffy - especially in the bar area - could have been better.

Room Tip: Stay in teh main house - NOT the training delegate bedrooms!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
twin2009, General Manager at Latimer Place, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor, I am pleased to hear that you were impreesed with our team and food. I am sorry that our bedrooms are not airconditioned, being in an area of nautural beauty, we have many restrictions on placing mechanical equipment on our buildings, hense we have restriced airconditioning to the areas that we are able to. I hope that your course went well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed here on the 4th October. I booked 2 rooms. My friends cancelled and I received e-mail confirmation that the cancellation was made on the 2nd October (the deal specified that cancellation fees did not apply until mid-day on the 4th October). However Latimer Place charged me for my room when I booked in and then unbeknown to me automatically deducted £55 from the card I used to make the booking. I phoned and complained and received an e-mail to say I was charged for the room that was cancelled. I sent the confirmation e-mail re the cancellation to Latimer Place although my card has yet to be refunded 1 week later despite my firends also contacting Latimer Place. The person that was dealing with the situation despite having my mobile number opted to respond to my call by e-mail and then ignore me. I wonder how many other cards may have been charged without the card-holder's authorisation and how many may of these transactions have gone un-noticed. Certainly not what you would expect from De Vere and the hassle in terms of pursuing this when their finance dept don't seem to be bothered has spoiled the good things about the place. .

Room Tip: Check your cards have not been pilfered.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your feedback on tripadvisor, I do hope that we did resolve your cancellation and I am sorry that we caused such a frustration and inconvenience to you. we have experieced problems with third party websites which we are working to resolve.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

A quite splendid setting in magnificent grounds. Hotel staff are extremely helpful and cannot do enough for you. The facilities are good but some of the room could do with a makeover. However, all is clean and comfortable. Reception areas are particularly good, with comfy chairs, all in keeping with the age and type of hotel - very pleasant and enjoyable to be there - relaxing.

Room Tip: Try to book in the old part of the house
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for giving Latimer such a great rating, I am pleased to say that our final wing of bedrooms will be refurbished in the New Year making all our bedrooms refubished in the last three years. I do hope that you take the time to visit us again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The main building is very impressive and in beautiful surroundings, I stayed for two nights, I was allocated a room in the Mews room 501, everyone in the mews accommodation has to walk past to get to their room so not the quietest room I have ever slept in.
I must say however that it was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in!
The rooms are relatively modern but very small and the housekeeping could do with showing a bit more attention to detail. The frame of the mirror was dusty, my room was serviced after the first night but they didn't clean cups and replenish tea making facilities or dust the mirror!
OK for a weekend break in some gorgeous countryside but I would rank it as the worst Devere I have used.
Also my Debit Card had £125 debited as “pre-authorisation” which I am told by the receptionist on checkout “will take a few days to go back into my bank” I suppose the kids will have to live on bread and water until the money goes back into my account!

Room Tip: Avoid the Mews rooms which are very small, the classic rooms may be larger but I didn't see them...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your posting on trip advisor, I am sorry that you were not impressed with our housekeeping department and front desk, please rest assured all comments are shared with my managers and team for remedial action. I do hope that you will stay with DeVere venues again in the not too distant future.
glamorgan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at the Latimer ,never again .

The check in was slow although we had booked online ,apologies were given that the staff member was new .Fair enough but we were then told 'you are in the Mews ,its over there' with a quick point in the general direction we were supposed to take .

Eventually found the main door to the Mews .The double bedroom was was small and to walk between the bed and the dressing table we had to walk sideways [no we are not large just average adult size !].

The wardrobe contained a kettle ,hair dryer and a tea tray with cups ,sachets of coffee and milk there was also a fan and an ironing board and iron .There were only four coat hangers but to hang any clothes in the wardrobe we had to empty the contents. ,We therefore had a room cluttered with these items for the two nights of our stay, with an ironing board leaning against the bedroom wall and a tea tray taking up the majority of the space on the dressing table .The paint on the walls had clearly been touched up in places and there were grubby hand prints on the wall.
The bed was comfortable but the overall impression was of a room in a student's halls of residence ,not a comfy hotel.

The bathroom was clean and modern but the shower was lethal ,the cold water tap was temperamental and the shower water was scolding .We reported this on our first morning and were told that it would be fixed.We returned to our room having spent the day walking in the fantastic Chiltern countryside ,looking forward to a shower ,yet again the water was too scolding to use We reported this again and the very polite man on reception in the Mews came up to 'fix it' at 11.30 pm.
He told us
' they are temperamental ,every shower is different ,you have to play around with them ,we get lots of people having problems with them' .He turned the shower off ,we thanked him and he left Not the end unfortunately ,turned it back on to have the much wanted shower and the water was scolding no matter what we both tried .This time two men came to fix it ,it took them a good few minutes and we insisted that they left the water running .Not what you want at the end of a long day and not what we would expect from a hotel marketed as a four star .
Same problem the following morning=scalding water !!!!
The food in the restaurant was delicious and well priced .
The grounds are stunning and the main building is very impressive .
We were expecting to stay in a beautiful country house for the price we paid but our experience was anything but .On raising our concerns with the staff on the main reception we received a very disinterested and half hearted 'sorry about that ' which appears to be a rehearsed response .
We have stayed in numerous hotels around the country and never complained but this has to be one of the most misrepresented be careful as we feel it is not as described.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
twin2009, General Manager at Latimer Place, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
I am sorry to hear that you were diappointed with your stay with us at Latimer.

The feedback that you have given with regard to the issues that you encountered I have taken most seriously and I will be looking into taking remedial action.

Latimer is not advertised as a AA four star rated property and I am keen to explore the third parties that may be adverising us as such.

I have shared your comments with my team especially on the Reception desk, they usually are given great reviews and again I am sorry that we let you down on this ocasion.

I do hope that you do take the oppotunity of visiting a DeVere Venue in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

First impression upon driving up to the old house: Wow!

The grounds are beautiful, but the inside of the old house is massively in need of renovating. Most of the rooms are dim and dingy, and the floors are treading the line between rustic creaking and life-threateningly brittle.

This venue is an old country house with additional wings designed to cater for small or large groups. We stayed in the modern style wing attached to the main house but which lacked any real character. Rooms are small, but the bathroom was modern and clean with a bath with shower overhead.

Breakfast was ok, with plenty of variety. You could choose from cooked breakfast or continental options such as croissants and toast. Breakfast is self service too. As varied as breakfast was I felt it lacked any real substance or flavours.

Wi-fi is free and coverage is decent throughout the venue, but there were some spotty patches.

The bed was incredibly comfortable, did have to ask for an extra pillow though due to them being quite thin.
Overall a great place to stay for a work conference or a large wedding party. Great night's sleep too!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed a great nights sleep here at Latimer Place. We certainly are a busy and popular conference and events venue. I am sorry that you felf the house needed refurbishment, the last refurbishment was just two years ago and is always ongoing at DeVere properties.

I do hope that we see you again at Latimer soon.
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

2 night leisure break. Excellent staff/service food good quality. Hotel will sort taxi to station takes a few minutes overground tube (most of way) or train run on same line so if you are tourist better to buy a 1day travel card. Complimentary coffees in lounge nice touch stayed at a sister hotel later in week and they also added biscuits. Well done would stay again. Thank you

Room Tip: Try and get in main house but still long trip to restaurant
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great feedback on Latimer Place which has been shared with the tea,.

We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Latimer Place? Share your experiences!