“The perfect stay for Christmas” 5 of 5 stars

Latimer Place
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Latimer, Chesham HP5 1UG, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Copenhagen, Denmark
“The perfect stay for Christmas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We were 4 adults and 1 child (6years old) spending Christmas at Latimer place from 24-27 December. What a fabulous setting for Christmas...the house was truly a historic attraction in itself. After reading reviews on Tripadvisor we upgraded our 2 rooms and specifically asked for rooms in the main house. And we were not dissapointed.

Room 204: Very spacious (even with extra bed for our daughter), tastefully decorated, excellent view of gardens and river, nice bathroom with bathtub, flatscreen TV with wide variety of channels. Sitting area with 2 comfotable chairs and a table. Only minus was the single glass windows which were constantly wet from condensation which meant we had to wipe them in order to see the incredible view.

Room 208: Same tasteful decoratings, slightly smaller than room 204 (due to sloping walls), but more cozy feeling due to bearing beams inside the room. Also room had a sofa. Also a view to the river.

Generally the main house is the attraction of this hotel. The library is huge and just wonderful. Full of guests playing games, reading, internet surfing on Ipads and laptops while enjoying the wide variety of free coffees and water. The bar staff are attentive and happily serve bar food. The selection of the bar food is excellent, with wide variety of food from salads, wraps, burgers, fishNchips, sandwiches, etc. All the food was deliciious and beautifully placed on the plates.

We only dined in at the restaurant for the Christmas lunch and this only just lived up to our expectations. Food was good but quite expensive at £65 GBP for the 3 course lunch. But fun to experience a traditional Xmas lunch when coming from Denmark.

Best tip which I also recommended the staff to use as marketing was to promote the Church Christingle Service which was a unique experience for us. The local church is on the Latimer Ground and was the highlight of our stay. The service was so child-friendly our daughter was just beaming with joy when it was finished.

Leisure activities:
Swimming pool was a hit. Jacuzzi, steam bath and sauna too. Fitness room was a bit small but then again I preferred to take a swim and play in the water instead. The pool size was perfect for a 6 year old...120cm deep allover.

Staff:
Friendly, attentive, caring. Reception was very helpful as borrowed us 1 GBP coins for the locker rooms.
Even gave us 3 batteries for one of daughters Christmas presents which we were willing to pay for.

All in all one of the best hotel experiences we have had. But be sure to ask to stay in the main house.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the main house.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
twin2009, General Manager at Latimer Place, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Latimer Place. It is true to say the house bedroom upgrades are the best, I have noted your feedback about condensation and will look into this. It was lovely to learn that you had chosen to experience Christmas with us and did take the opportunity to visit the church within our grounds. I thought we were advertising the Christingle service, as we should and do advertise the service times in our bedrooms.

Once again, many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on trip advisor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Llantrisant, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our first frustration arose when the De Vere central booking office told us that we didn't have a reservation for Christmas. After being told that our booking didn't exist, we finally rang the hotel direct and gave the reservation number that I had recorded when we first made the booking. The staff discovered that our name had been booked in back to front ie Gordon Joan and that two separate bookings had been made by the reservation person. After a very nervous 2 hours of thinking we wouldn't be able to join our family for Christmas this problem was finally resolved but with no apology for the mistake.
We had requested a quiet room for our 4 day stay. Our allocated room was on the ground floor - the room adjoining ours was filled with several children who were left to play, slam doors and run riot over three days. The parents were in a room with a small baby two doors down the corridor. We complained twice to the staff but nothing was done about it. Surely it's illegal to leave little children alone all night in a room without a parent sleeping with them? In terms of our looking forward to a rest and possible sleep in - it was simply impossible. ..The saving grace of our Christmas stay was to be able to use the old library in the main house, the games room and the pool. Would we stay there again? I doubt it.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room in the old manor house.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your recent stay, I am sorry to hear that your reservation had not been taken correctly by our central booking service and I have forwarded your feedback to them. I am also sorry to hear about our allocation of bedrooms which I have found very surprising and dissappointing. I have not been able to find out why this happened and at this late stage I am sorry that children were allocated adjoining next door. I am wondering if you did request a change of room or brought this to our attention whilst with us.

I do hope that you will take the opportunity to visit Latimer again as I am sure that this is not something that will re occur and I am sure you will have a much more relaxing stay with us.

Kindest regards
Somerset UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have been to a number of specialised wedding venues in the past, some of which would have a starting price of triple what was charged, and yes I know that this was my youngest sons wedding.......... but it was fantastic from start to finish. We also have to bare in mind that this was 2 days before Christmas. Both myself and my father use crutches and the staff there could not have been more helpful, particularly as dad was mainly chauffered around in a golf buggy due to the distance from the 'listed venue' area to the rooms obviously built on for a hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful and whilst my dad is a typical plain english food guy he came out raving about the food. The evening buffet was also brought out in stages so no food was left lying around, the cheese board finished off the night, as well as the disco and a brilliant Michael Bouble tribute act. Wow is all I can say. I have also now discovered that the place is not very far from the 80% of the relations so we will be using again.
The atmosphere created was exactly what my new daughter-in-law wanted, so not only did the bride look beautiful but was made to feel special on her day.

Room Tip: Please make sure that you ask for disability help when ordering a room as the hotel side on the one...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I and my team are absolutely delighted your son and daughter in laws Wedding was a wonderful success. Your comments have been shared with everyone and it gives the team a real lift to hear so great feedback.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to Latimer in the not too distant future.

With kindest regards
Pitstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My family and I stayed at the hotel mid week after an 85th birthday party there. Whilst the hotel was pretty much as expected, what struck me was how friendly and helpful the staff were. The reception staff, and the dining room staff all had time for a friendly word and were able to help out when required. The lady in the bar even went and made my mother in law a cup of milky coffee at gone midnight without charge. A really great experience in terms of the team there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I am really pleased that you enjoyed such a great experience whilst staying following a birthday celebration. My team enjoy reading the postings on tripadvisor and will be delighted to read your comments.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We have stayed at this venue twice in the last 5 weeks. It is not up to its billing. On both occasions we've been allocated a room, first of questionable size for 2 people ( a four foot double!) which we did manage to change rooms, and secondly after requesting a quiet room on booking and confirmed on checking in. However the disco finally shut down at 1 am and the general noise finally finished about 3am when I got up to move people away from outside our doorway. Yes it was a Christmas party, but why were we allocated a room in the Mews annex above the someone else's party area and in a separate building to our dining room (+100 metre outside walk in December)?
Overall both rooms looked tired and the bathrooms needed a refresh and removal of the mold from the tiles around the bath and repairs to the bath mixer taps would not come amiss. Quite why sufficient towels are not supplied is beyond me! The best bit of course is the comment card which asks for the bits you liked, however no pen is supplied, so making comments onto the card is challenging.
To finish on a positive, both dinners (for ~80 people and 175 people) were very good as were the buffet breakfasts. Getting a hot drink did prove to be a challenge on the first occasion, however there was self service tea and coffee for the second time and this meant you could get what you wanted when you wanted it. A definite improvement.
Overall would think very hard before returning to this venue.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
twin2009, Front Office Manager at Latimer Place, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for your feedback regarding Latmer Place, we do hope that overall you did enjoy your stay with us. We are sorry to hear that you were dissappointed with your room and the location of the bedroom and we have shared your feedback with the maintenance and reservations team. Such constructive feedback does remind us how to offer great service in the future.

Kind regards
Yorkshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I spent two nights at the hotel with my family and found it restful and friendly. The rooms were adequate in size and in good condition. We ate dinner and found it very tasteful although two dishes were sent back as they were not hot enough. The library is a great place to relax with a great view over the village and countryside. Very good value for money

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Latmer Place. I am sorry that you were not located in the main house on this ocasion. Unfortunately we have less bedrooms in this area and we do have to utilise all our buildings. We do try at every opportunity to allocate our guests in the right building and I am sorry that this did not happen to you during your stay with us. There should be pens in every bedroom and there should be ample towels and I have asked our housekeeper to look into this straight away.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our meals and service and I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Kent, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I deliver leadership training for a multinational construction business amongst others and regularly stay in hotels all across Europe. I have to say that this is the worst hotel I have stayed in this year. Why? Well it is not the staff. They seem much the same as usual, friendly and happy to help. Not the location, as even arriving in the dark the place looks amazing. No, it is the little details that really annoy. Like insisting on a credit card so I can order extras on my account. Every where else has been happy to accept my debit card - even last week. The room is shabby, with cobwebs and a broken toilet seat. There are stains on the walls and carpets. There is a large, noisy generator outside my window which keeps kicking in to life.
I will be talking to my client to see if we can switch venues for our programme in future as this does not feel like a special place to bring leaders to learn.
Shame, as I used to hold DeVere in high esteem

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
twin2009, General Manager at Latimer Place, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I am very sorry and disappointed with your reveiw on tripadvisor and if you would like to contact me directly I would be happy to discuss this further. Unfortunately debit cards can not be checked for funds or if they are lost or stolen. We do ask for a credit card, however our guests can depart using debit cards and the credit card number is destroyed. I am also very sorry that you were disappointed with your accommodation and I have forwarded this information to my Head Housekeeper for further discussion. We do not wish to lose any business and we do take this feedback very seriously indeed.

Travelers are raving about these Chesham hotels

Been to Latimer Place? Share your experiences!