“Excellent Place - Do not travel with NOLITOURS!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Guardalavaca
Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca
You added Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Guardalavaca, Guardalavaca, Cuba   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Halifax, Canada
“Excellent Place - Do not travel with NOLITOURS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We had a great trip to Club Amigo. We booked a month in advance and did get a decent deal on the trip. We booked thru Nolitours which offered the bungelo section ( highly recommended) and the cameleon package. As a cameleon member you receive special little extra's, which we did not receive. I was very unhappy with Nolitours as they told us that we would receive a special night, a bottle of rum in our room and other bonuses. When we arrived out rep told us that it was not offered in April and was only available in high season. I am very disappointed with Nolitour and will never book with them again. I am still not able to get in contact with anyone to let them know I was sold on something that was not offered when I arrived.

Club Amigo is a great place. The people there are very nice and there is a local market for all your gift right beside the hotel. Most workers make anywhere from 6 peso's ( i.e. the students ) to 16 peso's ( i.e. the housekeepers and bartenders ). I would recommend tipping the gardener's as well as anyone who cleans your room as they can be a great help when you really need it.

DO NOT ARRIVE IN THE NIGHT!!!! EVER!!!! We arrived at 10:50pm Cuban Time and we had the worst time trying to find a room that we could sleep in. The first room the toilet consistently ran, second room had no lock on the patio door, third room had no air conditioner, took us 7 rooms till we found one to sleep in. NEVER ARRIVE IN THE NIGHT!!!! in the morning we talked to someone who could speak Spanish and English who helped us out a lot.

This hotel is great. There was a few time we wanted to just scream we were so frustrated but all in all we had a good time. Weather is warm, amazing beach ( and I mean AMAZING ), and there is a ton of things to do at the hotel.

Booked in the Standard then upgrade when you get there. Cheaper to do it this way and you will have more to choose from.

Best Regards,
Bradley Churchill

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

First time at Club Amigo and would recommend this resort to everyone. A few tips. The resort is separated into 4 areas...Standard/Gardenview rooms, Bungalows, Tropical and Villas. The standard rooms are called the "Barracks" as they were once barracks for the army years ago and need a lot of improvement. We booked the standard, but when we arrived, we upgraded to the Villa (the newest part of the resort) for $24/day. It was still cheaper than booking the Villa before we went by $25.00. There are 4 pools, but we spent most of the time by the Villa pool, which was in front of our hotel next to the 24 hour bar, which was perfect for breakfast and lunch. The hotel pool (Tropical) had the swim up bar where we spent a lot of time. They had volleyball every day and we loved this pool. When you book the A la carte's, you are told you can only book 3 at a time, but on the days that you don't book, you can just go in the morning and book that night. They are not strict and they will give you one every night if you wish. The buffet was not to our liking, so we preferred the a la carte's. There is a market right beside the hotel, which we went every day as the vendors are different every day. The employee's at the resort are the best and they do everything to make your stay comfortable. I would definitely go back, but as we've only been to Cuba twice, we still want to check out other resorts. Oh by the way, the snorkeling is great. You can swim right up to the reef and enjoy the coral and colorful fish. Perfect vacation!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Yarmouth, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

I have just returned from a wonderful vacation in Holguin, Cuba and stayed at this resort from April 20 - May 4/2011. The travellers consisted of myself and my husband (ages 45 and 48), our children, all girls, ages 12, 16 and 18, a good friend of mine and her hubby, and my Mom. I would say that during this time period, the resort was at about a 75% capacity and a good portion of guests were Canadian. Hubby and I celebrated our 10th Wedding anniversary on April 27th with a nice bottle of champagne and enjoyed a "returning guest" dinner at El Bennys complete with lobster, champagne and Baked Alaska.

We purchased this trip via a local agency. We flew via Air Cubana out of Halifax direct to Holguin. Luggage allowance was 23 kg per person and one checked bag per person. Carry-ons were not weighed. All went well at both airports. No delays, no scams. The Air Cubana flight was fairly comfortable and personally, I would rate it better than Sunwing for comfort. The food onboard however was unedible and unidentifiable, even. There was no inflight movie or TV, but you do have access to music with your headsets that were handed out and collected again at the end of the flight. You have opportunity to buy cigars and rum on the flights. Non-alcoholic drinks were free. No snacks - period. Oh well, you get where you need to go. Enough said. There is a VIP lounge in Holguin that is available for 25 CUC per person, but we did not use it. One hour and ten minute drive by airconditioned bus to the resort and back at the end of our stay.

I know there was a rep at our resort, I didnt go meet with him, but my husband and his friend traveling with us did. We booked most of our excursions via Cubatur, however. They are cheaper, have much more variety, and all of their tours were shorter and more to the point. We did horseback riding a few times, fishing at Rocazul Park twice, a day in the countryside with a few activities for the kids, also via Rocazul Park (hidden jewel). Know how to hydrate yourself, and I dont mean with booze. We also took advantage of the free catamaran excursion given to us by Holasun. Enjoyable - but glad we didnt pay for it. The weather was 30 degrees plus and sunny each and every day with two hours of heavy rain (5pm - 7pm) on our last full day there.

We arrived at the resort at about 9pm. The check in line was quick and painless. We had all booked the villas. Ours was 2211, 2212 and 2213 (all second floor with stunning ocean views). All in Bloque 2. Rooms 2211 and 2212 were connecting rooms. All of the prearranging I had done ahead of time was honored. Just a VERY short walk to the lobby, the pool, the beaches and the 24 hour snack bar. It was perfect for a large resort. No problem with bugs in our room. The villa rooms are basic but had obviously been referbished since the hurricaine in 2008. Big, very clean, fresh paint. Nice beds, wicker furniture. Patio furniture too. The bathroom was large, very clean, ceramic and marble. No clocks or coffee makers in the rooms. Absolutely no bad smells, no mold. Great air conditioning. Secure safe for 1CUC per day (non-refundable) that works with your room swipe key. Our keys needed to be reprogrammed twice. We all seemed to have the same maid and she was great. Do bring a converter! There was also a hairdryer and minifridge. The maid left the usual towel designs/animals everyday. We sure noticed when it was her day off. We tipped her in CUCs - approximately 2 per day. The balconies from the rooms are wonderful. Laundry service is offered ($) - see your maid for details and she provides the paperwork and pricing - we had a GRANDE family-sized load done for 10 CUC. Ready within 24 hours - you pay at the front desk on check-out but the laundry is delivered to your room when ready. They also have a movie channel, a music channel and a childrens channel, and CNN. We lost power once for about 20 minutes, always had hot water, and LOTS of it - didnt matter what time of day it was.

There was plenty of privacy on this resort if thats what you went for. If you want to party, there is plenty of spots to do this as well - if you can stay up past 11pm. The Guardalavaca Beach off resort area itself is pretty quiet. There is an off resort restaurant or 2, cigar store, grocery store, liquor store. There are 3 beaches that make up this resort. One is very small, but to my surprise, was never crowded and quite relaxing. Then there is the Christopher Columbus beach, where a few more went. Then there is the large public Guardalavaca Beach itself. We had alot of fun here. Playing with the children, flying kites, walking, stopping for a cold creveza here and there and people watching. We loved it. My husband was in his glory AGAIN. I found the water to be warm, crystal clear and not alot of grassy seaweeds. We had ZERO red flag days. There are only a very few palapas on the main beach, but there are many palm trees that make up for it. There are hobby cats, peddle boats, snorkelling, and many lounge chairs. The bars on this beach are pay bars. Still cheap as hell. Sand was powdery and fine, white. One peddlar (who was VERY agressive) became quite an annoyance and had to be spoken to by resort staff. There is also a nautical tent for activities - snorkelling etc. Beaches were semi-clean - did find a used condom (or 6) on the tiny beach however. Plastic glasses werent an issue but straws were EVERYWHERE! Please pick up your garbage. Condoms included.

Your choices to get around are taxi, horse and carriage, scooters (hubby rented on 2 seperate days with no issues), bicycles, car rental and mini-train. There is also a small market set up right next door to the resort. It was approximately a 5 minute walk from my villa. This place sold the usual Cuban trinkets. There were kids on the resort, but did not prove any issues for us. The pool bar (we went once) was the place for the loud, drunks and disorderlies, and apparently you can have intercourse in this pool without penalty. Also, the pool there is not in as good shape as the villa area pool. The bottom of it seems to be lifting. The resort runs 24/7 with a great snack bar.We choose to eat breakfast and lunch most everyday here. Coffee every morning was GREAT! El Bennys also serves breakfast, but service is slow, painful and it is a non-smoking area so we opted for the snackbar area for breakfast. The menu is exactly the same. If you want to cool off, use the pool in the barrack section. It is deeper and therefore much cooler - but limited shade available around that pool. Palapas around the villa section pool are new since my last visit of 2008.

We did see bits and pieces of the resort entertainments which went from dancing shows, to a live band, bingo, audience participation shows, water ballet. If you have been a traveller to Cuban resorts before, you know pretty much what to expect in the way of resort entertainment and this resort was no different. As to the alcohol, there was a good selection of national and international brands with "ron" being the staple. From what we could gather, the only blender was at the swim up pool bar in the Atlantico section. All the bars had slushie machines, however - orange, lemon, strawberry and pina colada. There is also a wine cellar of sorts with tasting.

I did not bother with the internet and we did not call home. We exchanged Canadian cash right at the resort. We had a few pesos left over from our last trip, so we didnt even go near the bank in the airport. Remember you have to pay a 25 CUC departure tax per person when you leave, so get that and put it aside and forget about it. Food off the resort is cheap, cheap, cheap as were the goods. Booze and cigarettes cheaper than dirt. "Hollywood" cigarettes are similar to Canadian ones, "Cristal" for the beer. "Buckanero" is a darker ale.You can smoke anywhere but in the main dining rooms. I can fill you in on some of the restaurants off the resort if you wish to email me. The gift shop is fairly priced. Feminine products not available on the resort. The folks at the front desk were always pleasant. The gardeners were forever grooming and landscaping. This is a very clean resort. Everyone I met at the resort was very personable and went out of their way to make this stay very pleasant. Although this place is designated as a "3*", we have no complaints. Although the bungalows did look appealing, the rooms in the barracks and in the main building were tiny, dark and had no balcony. The main building has elevators. I also noted two people in wheelchairs on this trip and neither seemed to be having any difficulty maneuvering around.

We did tip, not always and not much and sometimes more than usual, but we tipped because the service was great from a few, not because we wanted to get great service. There is a difference. We just found our favorites and stuck to them for service and didnt bother with the others. We found the staff spoke English fairly well here. Security is also ever present. There is a towel exchange that was never out of towels, but bring facecloths, your own snorkel etc. and water/beach toys and your own drinking vessel as you will find them handy. Towels were supplied at a charge of 1 CUC per day that is not reimbursed. There is also an onsight nurse and physician. Occaisonal birds in the dining room, to see a cat was rare, but we did see the same two dogs regularly around the villa pool. We also had no rashes, itches, or stings, but the mosquitoes were nasty (bring repellant). Mind the jellyfish, but we did not see any. The sand crabs were hysterical.

We ate at the buffets (there are 2) a few times for dinner. They were fair. Roast pork was delicious - saw it roasting by the pool on day. We were fortunate to be in such good location to the snack bar that we ate there for breakfast every morning. Also, we ate there for lunch almost every day if we were not out and about. Food there is great. El Bennys (villa section) was Cuban. Espada is on the second floor of the Atlantico building and they serve chicken, pork, shrimp, beef. El Fuerte is in the Bungalow section and they serve mainly chicken, some beef. The Italian a la carte is adjacent to the snackbar and only operated on certain nights. We had langosta (lobster) twice - terrible both times. We are quite familiar with Cuban lobster and both times were bad. Very, very bad. But, this is Cuba...its not gourmet. There will always be something you will like somewhere....dont sweat the small stuff. I must say that as a seasoned traveler, we have become quite accustomed to flies around the buffets and such, but I have to say that the flies around the buffet in the main Atlantico building were unbearable. So much so that we wouldnt go there because of it. Not only on the food, but in your eyes, ears, behind ones glasses, in the water glasses, several landing on you at a time. Horrible.

Check out was uncomplicated, quick and smooth at 5am.

There was also a downside (or two) to the trip. One, during the week before Easter, the resort was crowded with locals. Not that we cared, we certainly did not, HOWEVER, it impacted service greatly. Locals got served first and it was obvious - there simply isnt a different way to put it. Many times, we were simply ignored. Secondly, I am very embarrassed to say that there was a certain guest (unknown nationality) who insisted on sporting a "Santa Claus" hat 24/7 around the resort - in the pool, at the a la cartes, to the beach. He got lots of attention from the staff but our party found that to be very distasteful.

Last thing to mention has no bearing on our trip, the great time we had or even on the resort itself. I want to mention it only because it seems to be a "hot topic":

Were there prostitutes on the resort? I have no idea.

Were there a few "mismatched" couples? Sure was.

Did the girls appear to be children? Not at all.

Do they bother your time any? Not in the least.

Did they have sex in public and were they mauling and groping each other? Certainly not. That was left to the Canadians in the swim-up bar pool.

Were you approached by any pimps or hookers? My husband was, but he was off resort and stopped at a gas station at the time. He was asked if he was looking for a girl, he said "No" and that was all there was to it.

All in all, a great trip and will we return? Definately.

Please feel free to email me for some more hints and pointers about travelling to this resort or about things I may have forgotten to mention. I'd be happy to help. [------]

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

This was the third time i have been to this hotel over a period of 6 years. i just love it, its not your every day commercialised holiday destination. All the locals work in the 2 hotels here and you get to know a lot of them as friends. This means you get a real feel for Cuba. Not at all like Varadero. This year for the first time, for me anyway, they had the open top buses touring all the hotels in the area for 10 pesos, lovely if you fancy the wind in your hair and a lazy sit down for an hour. Also the Cuban Indian reservation 5 pesos each and that was on the same bus route, what an experience. There is also a free tour of the resort on a road train every Tuesday. The open air market next to the hotel has lots of things to buy and take home and they are all made in cuba. And best of all "the beach" or should i say 4 beaches, The main beach is a public one with cuban bars all day and most of the night with cuban music filling the air. 2 are little coves, picture postcard stuff and then the other beach going towards Brisas. All white sand and everything you could want, all the pictures dont do them justice. Being the lower grade hotel of the 2 in this town it has the best facilities, for instance Club Amigo has a 24 hour bar serving food most of the time, the hotel next door doesn't. And it alo has the best beaches, the 2 little coves are sooooooo picturesque. And finally the food, I know some reviews say the hotel is rubbish, well all i cn say is remember you are in Cuba, we dont know how lucky we are to be able to buy food like we do. The food is OK not a la carte but i have never had a bad belly so it cant be that bad. Plenty of selection and lots of home baked style cakes. Breakfast are buffet style with omlettes, bacon and fritters cooked while you wait and watch. There are small restaurants that you can book, best done on the first day if you can as they fill up fast, they are ok but my personal favourite is El benny's. You can also book to visit the other hotel Brisas once every 7 days for dinner which is a short walk up the beach. The food is better but i prefer Club Amigo for everything else. When you go there you quickly learn that a large proportion of the guests at both thes hotels have been commong back for years. Cuba does that to you !

Room Tip: Always book the villas
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Summerside, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

The service providers were so friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Villas and our room was great - separate livingroom, king size bed, large bathroom and balcony off of the livingroom. There were three of us staying in the room and a third bed (not cot) was set up for us when we arrived.
We visited the market right next to the resort every day as the vendors changed daily. So much to see from a lot of talented vendors.
I can't say enough about this resort - definitely a great value for the money!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

First time going to Cuba, a bit nervous travelling to here with younger children, but so happy we did!! what an amazing time we had, the staff was beyond nice! and treated my two so great..we meet some great friends, had a wonderful time, our room was a bit small but it was cleaned and we really didn't stay in it long enough to worry about it..the beach was gorgeous and having the pool to choice from too were great too never a dull moment there..got to experience some of the off resort stuff too..visited the local villages to deliver gifts and will be doing it again...can't wait to go back...My youngest is very picky eater and he had no problem at all eating there..he for sure didn't go hungry at all, and the ones that say they have problems with food..surprises me cause there was so much to choice from...the weather was perfect..along with the entertainment each night...Will for sure be going back!! Traveled with Hola Sun and they were wonderful and very helpful, must check out the market next door found some great deals there!

Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

heaven on earth.. lots to do, this hotel have lots of activities.The beach is the best( after the beach in the iles de la madeleine , canada,qc), service was great with or without tips but everyone should tip this people dont have much and the work hard.they have shows every night and the cuban beach parties are to die for(they can move thats for sure)...It for sure a great spot for snorkling ( just hit the water and start swimming). the food was good and my daugther is very difficult and she enjoy the food very much(there is two 24 hrs snack bar where you can get hot dogs, hamburger, fries and pizza) no one can go hungry here. the pools are clean and there is onewith a swim up bar( love it) but there is 4 pools some more quite then others. Disco bar is open every night, great place to meet friends..This hotel is very safe,guards everywhere, i felt very comfortable walking at night, no problem there. Flea market right on the side walk, good deals its not govermental so feel free to bargin, good deals and beautifull things...i would go back right now!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!