This is not the first time we have been to the Rio de Mares y Luna hotel and given the chance we would return tomorrow! Our first stay was in January 2001 so we have seen the changes over the years.
First, the staff - they are superb, from the chamber maids to the dining room staff - and are the main reason that we return. The food services manager, Lisandro Ramos, seems to spend his entire life in one or another of the restaurant areas ensuring that everything is as it should be and is great at resolving those problems that occur. In fact. all of the staff that we had occasion to meet were more than helpful and would go the extra distance to ensure that if they didn't have the answer someone else would provide it. This even extended to the omnipresent security guards, although we wonder what they reall are needed for.
Now the down side: two hurricanes in the last four years have taken their toll badly; the place is in serious need of repair. The colonial tile rooves on several buildings have been replaces with roll-roofing as is used on sheds in Canada, there are many missing light bulbs in places inside and out where not being able to see the sidewalks and halls is dangerous (stairs and broken concrete). One of the lamps in our room could only be turned on by pulling on the cord to force a connection in the switch. These should be fix pronto!
Would we return? In a moment; but if the place continues to deteriorate we would have to abandon it with regret.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Four -Star All Inclusive Resort with 464 rooms. Located beachfront in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province, where visitors will be amazed by the dazzling superposition of blues and greens from the sea, sky and costal shrubbery. This hotel complex is surrounded by extensive green areas and offers a wide variety of services and attractions. Recommended for families, weddings, honeymoons and tourist groups.Guest Rooms464 rooms: 308 Standard, 108 Standard Ocean View, 30 Standard Superior Ocean View, 6 Junior Suite, 4 Suite, 8 Family Suite Ocean ViewDining7 Restaurants (A la Carta, Buffet), 6 Bars ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Hotel Guardalavaca
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Resort
- Sol Rio De Luna y Mares Guardalavaca, Cuba - Holguin Province