“SEcond stay - NOT Dissapointed!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Rio de Luna y Mares

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Guardalavaca
Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
You added Sol Rio de Luna y Mares to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ctra. de Guardalavaca | Playa Esmeralda, Guardalavaca, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Norwich, United Kingdom
“SEcond stay - NOT Dissapointed!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Second time at this resort in the last three years. If you want a very relaxing 2 weeks in paradise then this is the place for you.

Esmeralda beach is the very best in Cuba. Always quite - just two hotels access the beach.

Excellent snorkeling at right hand end of beach.

Food as good as before. Mainly had fresh cooked fish/shrimp(yummy!) each dinner, but there is huge range of food every day - in our view all yummy!

Excellent service all round.

Day trip to Holguin is not for the fainthearted - this is poor country remember. 2 hours in this city was enough(interesting but not too much to do)

Staff and management at this hotel are always there to help. No complaints.

Would go back again in a heartbeat - you want chilled with everything at hand.

Other guests at this resort who had been to other hotels in Cuba rated this and the beach the best.

Again all our thanks to everyone at this hotel who made this break perfect!

Room Tip: We emailed ahead asking for sea-view rather than pay huge prices to First Choice. Did the same on ou...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
FrancisRopero, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Picard1. Thank you for coming back for second time, I agree we are in one of the best beaches in Cuba and Caribbean. We hope you come back again. Take care. Manuel Vazquez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (836)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Visited on the 15th September for 2 wks with my husband.Booking in was done on coach so no waiting at reception fantastic after a long flight it was just what we needed. We asked for a room on a high floor with sea/pool view & we got just that (room 3019) Breath taking view. Our room was very clean & spacious,the aircon was on when we arrived at our room & as it was very hot was most welcoming. The maid was excellent & made sure we had bottle water every day, our beds were made we had clean towels & plenty of loo roll. ( What more can you ask for!!) We booked the al a carte restaurants, the Mexican we thought was best but the others had their own good bits. The buffet had plenty to choose from. I would like to say a special thank you to the lady who cooked pasta for me most lunchtimes, also the lady who served the coffee at breakfast I think her name was Yolinda (I'm sorry if I got it wrong) Our Grandson is beautiful & very tiny, we hope all goes well for your birth in the new year. The entertainment was ok really enjoyed the water ballet & the guy who played solo guitar, he was very good.The highlight for me of the holiday was swimming with the dolphins, (I am speachless as to how I feel) they are beautiful creatures. The staff there do a really good job it is clean & the animals are well looked after). It also was the day our Grandson was born (3 wks early).The beach is a stunning, peaceful place to relax plenty of room & sun loungers...Just pick your spot & the beach man will bring the beds to you.(that comes from 1 who hates sand but maybe its not that bad!!) The ocean was warm & clear & we swam in it a lot. Met with the manager Manuel who asked if we had any problems...... how could we have in such a beautiful location, hotel with so many helpful people. He was always around day & night if we did. We missed the Hog Roast both weeks but did watch it being cooked the first week. It was sad to leave but the Manager & some staff came to wave us off & to wish us a safe journey home. Also to say they were looking forward to seeing us again maybe next year!! We hope so to. Thank you all for making our first time in Cuba one we will never forget all for good reason. Julie & John x

england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The cubans are friendly hard working people who make you very welcome, they really will try to do anything to help you. This hotel is spotlessly clean, beautifully kept and you can see they have a pride in their hard work. Nearly everyone greets you with a friendly word, smile or a wave.The beach is beautiful the best ever!, weather lovely and the sea is beautifully warm, clean and turquoise. The food could be improved in that it is not always hot, things like bread, buns and fruit could be covered simple things, I personally struggled as a vegetarian in the evening but knew that when we booked. This is an emerging country opening up to the world and it will do a good job! The manager admits rooms are tired but they are working hard on this but the cleanliness cannot be faulted. Constant hot water in the adequate bathroom. Only encountered one surly blonde woman in lobby shop, very rude, served Cubans before others in the queue was the only blip. We only had one incident of locals gettin drunk on beach on a sunday (dont fall for their sob story, we were told they do it all the time) security did not apparently want to understand the tourists staying in the hotel who complained!
The Thomson rep absolutely spot on! Jaimie was so helpful. Havana a little dissapointing after an internal flight which still stung us for 50 peso departure tax per couple, Tropicana ok but nothing flash, just the usual tourist thing. Stayed at National hotel with Thomson, lovely lovely hotel, number one in Havana, check out the hall of fame!!. We never usually return to the same place but would return to this hotel and the Sol Rio De Luna Y Mares, We found Yanet to be a lovely lovely hard working girl who genuinely wants you to just enjoy yourself. Water Ballet quite enjoyable along with opera singer and saxophonist in the varied entertainment. This hotel gives you a litre and a half of water in your room everyday and a half bottle of rum when you leave, lots of little touches making you welcome. The genuine cubans appreciate a tip, and we only tipped when we got good service, getting drinks was not a problem very plentiful as is the food. We enjoyed our holiday very much, well done to all the hard working staff and their manager!

Room Tip: dont necessarily pay for a sea view unless you really want this as there are quite a lot of rooms .w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear shusui. Grettings from Sol Luna Mares and all my team, thank you for choosing us and for this so good review. Manuel Vazquez
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Hi everyone! First I will warn people that this is going to be a long review since I never did write any reviews for my other visits to SRLM and I have a lot to say. lol I got back almost a month ago from my second home away from home. I spent the week from Sept. 8th - 15th at SRLM and honestly had the best time of my life!!!!! The weather was awesome and only had rain at midnight the night of the beach party for 20 minutes, which was well needed.This was my 4th trip there. The first 3 times I was there as a couple and this time went back alone as a single woman. I have to say this was the best trip ever!!!!!! The staff are so amazing there. Lots of them remembered me and gave me such nice welcomes. The minute I got off that bus my very good friend Cecilia from customer service was there as always to greet me with a big warm hug and smile. I miss you already Cecilia. Her 3 co-workers are all sweethearts too. I am bad with names but I do remember them all by face (Lily, Lina, Yilena I think).

If you question what it would be like to travel there alone, rest assured there are always friendly people around to speak with. Going as a single woman was much more fun!!!! I met tons of other single ladies who were on the same flight as me. Also met some super amazing young couples from Toronto (Franklin every time someone whistles I will think of you. lol Oh and much luck to you and Jen! Keep taking care of her). Everyone just clicked and got along. We all partied and had such a great time. I am a very social person and had no problem making lots of new friends! Quiet and relaxing vacation it was not. I sure did lots of partying, even though that was NOT my intention. It was just such a great week. You can't go wrong with this place! Lots of families there too. The children seem to all have fun at SRLM too.

The Cubans are the most honest people I have ever met. I have always left stuff lying out in my room and they never ever touch anything or steal from me! It seems to me that people like to complain for such stupidity! Who cares if the rooms are outdated or small. I sleep well while there and love their beds. I like a hard mattress and find their's are great for my back! Anyway you only should be in your room for a few hours so who cares what it looks like people. As long as there are no bugs and it's clean, then it's all good for me! Amazing how some people have nothing better to do.

My first 3 trips I stayed on the Luna side and loved it. It's nice and quiet on that side. Also it's a good walk to get there too. So if you don't want the exercise don't bother staying on the Luna side. Being single and alone and also due to renovations, this time I decided to try the Mares side. I absolutely loved it there! I was in room 4027. The view was awesome and the noise didn't bother me since I was one of the ones partying it up all week. Although by 11:00 pm most people start to head off to bed so the lobby quiets down on the Mares side. People complain about such stupid things. Yes the balcony window is VERY hard to open if you have weak arms like myself but look at it in a positive way, it's a great arm workout. LOL The only complaint I have is that there are no clocks in the rooms. I understand we are on vacation so you don't need to know the time but when you wake up in the middle of the night at 4:00 am, I think I would like to know to go back to bed. lol Next time I will remember to bring a clock. They do have a Cd/radio player in the room though. Just no clocks for some odd reason. Not anywhere on the resort, hard to find them. Weird. :-)

I managed to get down to the disco quite a few times during the week (which I never did as a couple) and danced the night away with the other single girls. Disco was usually quiet except for the beach party night. It was super busy and the music was awesome. Only problem is the crabs like to come out and dance on the floor too. Unfortunately nothing you can do about it except hop around dancing like a fool to avoid them and have all the men laugh at you and laugh at yourself too. :-)

As for the entertainment, well what can I say. The entertainment is definitely lacking a lot! This is something I would love to see improve one of these days! The ballet show in the pool is by far the best they have. Very nice to watch. It's also so much fun when they get the guests to dance and teach us all the moves to the Latin dances. The other nights shows are pretty similar. I was disappointed with day time entertainment too. I have to say this trip was the worst for the entertainment part. Usually they do games during the day and give out bottles of rum as prizes. This time they never gave gifts, that's when and if they even played the games. The beach party too was not good like the other years I attended. Previous years the beach party had lots of fun games, people walking on stilts and lots of nice costumes, tables and chairs set out for guests and also food was served and waiters took orders for drinks I think. This time they had none of that. The other problem they have is not enough bartenders working at night on the Mares side. I feel that this is the one place where you need to tip or flirt to get good service. :-) The bartenders on the Mares side definitely have their favotires and it is obvious.

Every time I have gone it has been a different manager. This time I had the pleasure to meet the manager Manuel. He actually accompanied 2 of us ladies one night to the disco as it was dark to walk down there. He then spent quite some time with us there and talked with us for quite a bit. :-) Very nice man, it was a pleasure to meet you Manuel. Hopefully I will see you again when I plan on returning for my 5th trip possibly at the end of November!

Ok so for the food. I don't know why people complain. I have to say I am the worst eater and I have never travelled anywhere else so I can't compare SRLM to other places but the buffet does have a huge variety of food and fresh meat to be cooked on the grill right in front of you. They also have someone cooking pasta dishes of your choice for you every night. I have the worst stomach and have NEVER EVER gotten sick at SLRM! As for the a la carte restaurants, The French and Romantic are my favourites. Although I was so disappointed that the French restaurant didn’t have the French onion soup available the night I was there which I was talking about for days prior to that. Once again I had the pleasure to have dinner with my amazing friend Cecilia for the VIP night down on the beach. So happy to have had time with her all alone to chat and catch up on things.

As for the beach, well what can I say, but just beautiful! I will post a few pictures so you can see
what I mean. I never had any problems with locals on the beach, actually never really saw any when I went there. I would never leave valuables down at the beach unattended though eveb if there are lots of very nice security guards all around. To get to the beach you have quite a few stairs to go down so make sure to always wear proper shoes. They also have paddle boats that I just found out you can take out for free. I have yet to try that.

As for the horseback riding. That I was disappointed to find out that it is no longer included in the vacation package. This time they are charging 5 cucs for 30 minutes and 10 cucs for an hour.

As for outings, I did the swim with the dolphins back in May 2010 and loved it, aside for some jelly fish that I saw in the water with us. ugh! I also did the tour with the jeep and you go to the cigar shop and then lunch at someone's place and horseback ride oh and ride out dated sea-doos in the ocean. That was soooo much fun!!!! We also rented a jeep and spent the day in Banes. What an experience that was too! The jeep only cost us about 75cucs for 24 hrs. I think we paid around 12cucs for the gas. It was all worth it. I also did a trip where you went to Fidel Castro's home. That was ok but not the best. We went walking high up in the mountains too, so make sure you are wearing good walking shoes. I kinda freaked out at the height but I managed to get through it all like a big girl. lol Although scary it was beautiful to walk and see the sights and the waterfall. The only thing I have yet to do which I plan to do on my next trip, is go to the market. I found out there is a double-decker bus that comes to the resort every morning at 9:30 am. For a few pesos they take you to the market and bring you back to the resort after a couple of hours. Definitely will try that next time. Sadly they did not have any vendors at the resort this time due to government law. Supposedly they will be letting them come back soon to sale their handmade crafts. I hope sooner than later.

Also if you walk outside from the Mares side lobby and go to your right, there is a nice nature walk that you can do for a very few pesos. It takes you up to a look out point where you can take beautiful pictures and see the resort. there is also a little cave and just nature to look at. Worth the few minutes of your time.

I was in Cuba for these time frames.....

May 27 - June 3,2010 (VERY VERY hot and humid) (Also cheap time to travel)
Sept. 18 -25, 2011 (perfect weather!) Cheap to travel too.
Dec. 30 - January 5, 2011 (gets cool and windy at night about 22 celcius). (Very expensive and not worth the money)
Sept 8 - 15, 2012 (again cheap and perfect weather)

Last but not least....the gifts for all the nice people that work there. I go to Dollarama and every time I am there I pick something up. They like the razors for men and women, soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, toothbrushes, nylons for the ladies, make up, nail stuff, like polish, nail files, jewellery, hair clips and elastics, batteries, coloring books, toys, balloons etc. there are sooo many things you can get there that they will appreciate. I made tons of care packages from all the stuff I got at the dollar store and gave it out to the girls that I know and met there. They were all very happy with what I gave them. Oh and my friend Jenilay (usually at Luna bar) loves the colour gold and she loves purses too. wink wink. :-) Shoes are also greatly appreciated.
As for when you tip, they can't change any Canadian coins at the bank nor can we as Canadians. So you will have some staff asking you to give them a 5, 10 or 20 dollar bill in exchange for their 5, 10 or 20 coins. Please make sure to help them out as it is no difference for us but does a great deal for them. Like I said before, the trip may be all inclusive but these people still work hard and for very little pay to make us happy while relaxing on vacation having a jolly old time. It's bad enough rubbing it in their face, at least show them you appreciate their services. $1 here and there is certainly not going to make you go broke if you could afford the vacay in the first place! It's just so aggravating to see tourists treat the Cubans so rudely sometimes. All I know is that when I go down to SRLM I try to help out as many people as I can. It makes me so happy to see where my money and gifts are going and to see the smiles and sometimes tears on their faces is just so rewarding. I am nowhere near rich but I will always do what I can for a few certain of them. I miss my second family and hope to see you all real soon! Big Abrazos to my amigas for life Cecilia and Jenilay! Miss you girls so much! Until next time SRLM!!!!!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me if you can through here. I would be glad to help.

Nancy from Montreal, Quebec, Ca.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Visited on 12th September for 2 weeks with my partner. Had issues with Thomas Cook regarding luggage allowance but that is a different story. Flight was good and was only 8 and a half hours rather than the 10 hours we expected so that was a bonus. Arrived at the hotel and was given a cocktail as we queued at the check in desk. This didn't take too long and we were soon given our wristbands and room cards. I had emailed Manuel the Manager in advance and requested a room on a high floor with an ocean view and this is exactly what we got. Room 3017 on the Mares side overlooking the pool/lobby area with the ocean to the left. Our room was spacious and clean and had a very high ceiling which made it feel even more spacious and the air conditioning worked very well. We were also given invites to the VIP dinner at the Romantic restaurant on the beach, which we were offered via email by Manuel before we arrived and we also had an invite to the dinner at the poolside for the water ballet. Both of these meals were first class. We tried all al a carte restaurants whilst we were there and even managed to eat at the french restaurant twice. The French was the best but the others followed closely behind. We only ended up at the buffet a few times, I wouldn't have wanted to eat there every night as I cook every night at home and for the 2 weeks of the year that I am on holiday I enjoy being waited on. Having said that, the food at the buffet was nice and varied and the waitresses were constantly refilling our drinks (Clara was particularly friendly and attentive).

We enjoyed the evening entertainment and the atmosphere in the 1492 lobby bar and we had a fantastic night at the beach party and in the disco until 2 am, despite showing myself up by participating in the drinking game that had me running round a pole until very dizzy and then attempting to run in a straight line, in front of an audience (and I thought I was getting dragged up to do a spot of salsa dancing)!!.

Loved our days spent on the stunning beach, chilling out and snorkelling and long lazy lunches at La Pinta where I developed an addiction to Calamari and sparkling wine and am still struggling to cope without my daily fix after 2 weeks back at home. Special mention to Ronald in La Pinta, whose service was impeccable, even after a morning spent behind the Luna reception desk taking restaurant bookings.

We made lots of friends whilst here as there is a very friendly atmosphere, holiday makers and staff included and really enjoyed every minute of the 2 weeks. So much so that I shed a few tears on the coach as we were leaving.

Trips ...... We booked the ocean paradise catamaran cruise with 2 snorkelling stops, open bar and lunch at the end and had a fantastic day. Even getting stung by a jelly fish whilst snorkelling couldn't spoil my day, I found that after a few rums I really didn't stress about anything. We also booked the overnight stay at the dolphinarium and I really can't explain how completely amazing this was and as for value for money it was unbelievable, so glad we booked this trip. Lobster meals are as readily available as pizza and chips is back home and at no extra charge and free bottles of rum are given as gifts both on the trips and in your room as a leaving gift, we came home with 4.

What else to say..... beach stunning, sea was warm and clear, food and drinks good and plenty of choice, staff lovely, hard working and friendly, location fantastic with stunning views from all over the resort.
I want to finish this review by saying that I have been to the carribean 5 times previously and even stayed at a Sandals resort a couple of times but this holiday was better value for money, had a comparable beach (if not better) and food of a similar or better standard. I would like to thank the staff for making our holiday so special and would like to say a very special thank you to Manuel who made us feel so welcome and was always on hand, day and night.

We will see all at SRLM in 2013, can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FrancisRopero, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Paula H. Thank you for your visit and all information for all future guest. It was a pleasure to help you. Take care. Manuel Vazquez
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is the first time that we have visited SRLM when renovations were underway, specifically the pipes around the Luna pool. This didn’t impact our holiday but it will be nice when the renovations are finished and the former 24-hour snack reopened. Even so, the Mares pool was never crowded perhaps because it is still low season. The loungers that provided shade at the pool seemed to be taken up quickly – but on the talcum powder beach – plenty of sun or shade, your choice. And obtaining a lounger there, even though they are not as comfortable as around the pool, was never a problem. As well, we never encountered a shortage of beach towels at the activities hut.

The rooms, we can only speak for the Mares side – are spacious and clean with ample storage space. The furniture is somewhat dated but functional. The beds are nice and firm – no sags or broken springs. Our bed linen was always crisp and clean. In the bathroom you will find good shampoo, bath gel, guest-sized hand soap, ample toilet paper, sparkling white towels, a hairdryer, as well as bottled water. The water was always hot with good pressure. The maid service is excellent and everything is replenished, but should you need something like extra clothes hangars, do not hesitate to ask. There is an in-room safe (no charge), mini fridge (not a mini bar), a cd player, a TV, an iron & ironing board as well as an umbrella, which is hopefully not needed. There is also a coffee maker although most people prefer the wonderful Cuban coffee in the lobby bar since the coffee in the room is actually packaged in Canada. LOL. Remember to insert your room card into the slot by the door to keep your power & ac running – this is an energy conservation measure.

The food – if we were to list all the dishes that are available at the various restaurants it would fill at least 10 pages. Suffice it to say – the food is varied, fresh and well prepared. The food ranged from good to excellent. Lots of choices and, yes, there was ketchup. And the service – top notch! We were there for two weeks and never got bored with the food. Do try some of the soups. They are fantastic!

There were some shortages – but that can happen anywhere and anytime in Cuba. Tonic water was non existent for approx. 4 days and then it was there again. Mint, which is actually grown on site didn’t do very well this summer, so there was a shortage for a few days until a supplier was found in Holguin. Even the stores at the SRLM and Paradisus next door were out of the Mexican Coca Cola during our stay. Is this a vacation breaker – I hope not.

The water sports on the beach are operated independently of the hotel and the service definitely varied from day to day so this is no reflection on SRLM. Obtaining paddle boats, etc. seemed to be at the whim of the staff there even if the seas were calm. This was a let down on a couple of occasions especially when the staff there were quite grumpy.

The entertainment – definitely varied – this time round, a little too loud and electric for our tastes on the Mares side. But then, one only has to walk over to the Luna bar for a great violinist or pianist. Mind you, the water ballet was fabulous as always with a new repertoire.

The entertainment staff had some new faces this year and we found them to be personable and a lot of fun. There are many activities and excursions offered by the entertainment staff. These are listed on the board outside of the Colon restaurant. Most are free and some have a nominal charge (for transportation). We have done most of them and they are definitely worthwhile. Some of the excursions give you an opportunity to go outside of the hotel into the countryside to see and meet some of the locals and learn a little about the Cuban culture. Should you encounter a vendor selling locally-grown peanuts – do not hesitate to purchase them – they are delicious.

The one thing we did miss this year is the vendors who used to set up in the lobby area and their absence may only be temporary as rental negotiations are underway. Mind you, this gave us a good excuse to visit the market in Guardalavaca not only for souvenirs but also for Coca Cola, which we did indeed find.

The cadeca (bank) is open from 8 am to 6 pm and you will need your passport for the currency exchange. A printed receipt with the currency conversion is provided so you are assured of an accurate exchange rate.

What makes SRLM so special for us is the exceptional client service from every member of the staff as well as the wonderful setting of the hotel. The hotel grounds are kept immaculate by the excellent gardeners. Then you have the beautiful Playa Esmeralda in front of you and the tranquil Bahia de Naranjo in the rear. Breathtaking scenery and a wonderful place to absorb the natural beauty surrounding you.

If for any reason you should have a concern during your stay, please let someone know. Every member of the staff will bend over backwards to make your holiday the best possible. We have travelled to many parts of Cuba over the years and we always look forward to returning to Sol Rio de Luna y Mares which feels like our second home.

P.S. Airport regulations have become more stringent in Holguin so do not bring any liquids in your carry-on but pack them or make these purchases at the Duty Free. We saw a young traveller who had her half-empty water bottle taken away. By the way, the Cuban honey is wonderful and sadly this was not available at the Duty Free. So if you like the honey as much as we do, purchase it at the hotel store. Some bottles are plastic and can be packed quite easily.

PPS. The mini-zoo has moved to Playa Pesquero but the paladar Conuco de Mongo Viña is still there and definitely worth the 30 minute hike for the beautiful setting overlooking the Bahia de Naranjo.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear conchesdojump. Thank you for coming back again, as you say our location and our staff and services are our best values, we hope you come back again soon. Manuel Vazquez
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

i had a good time here.the staff are great.thanks to rey and amaury and the guys in the lobby bar and franco at the best place here to eat which is the french bistro by a long way.the truth-rooms and hotel are clean but tired.beds not comfy but good shower.the beach is as good you will get.food in general is ok,but nothing special.except the french bistro.spot on.the shows at night are cheaply done and not worth a watch.some good dancers but thats about it.but the bit about being two hotels is currently a farce,as the other hotel is as good as empty and a bit of a building site.if youve booked then dont worry as its still ok and the staff will make your holiday.try the riu mambo hotel in the dominican,its 3 hotels together with loads to do,good food and staff and shows,great beach also.more for your money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Conradmanchester. Thank you for your visit. We are working to improve our facilities specially in our Luna's pool, we have all the services open as always. I am sorry we could not meet your full expectations. Let us know in the future if you are coming back. Best regards. Manuel Vazquez

Been to Sol Rio de Luna y Mares? Share your experiences!