“Amazing! Can't Wait to Go Back!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Guardalavaca
Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle 2, Playa, Guardalavaca 84170, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Guardalavaca
New Glasgow, Canada
“Amazing! Can't Wait to Go Back!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

My husband and I travelled to Brisas for two weeks. This was our first trip to Cuba and our first all-inclusive resort. Brisas Guardalavaca came highly recommended by several different people, including a large percentage of return guests.

From the time we arrived in Cuba we felt welcome. The front lobby of Brisas is a relaxing place with lots of hanging plants and comfortable seating. We found the front desk staff to be very efficient and friendly. We were celebrating our anniversary while we stayed at Brisas and they gave us a beautiful ocean-view room on the top floor with an extra balcony with loungers. Special thanks to Marbelis and Madelaine!

Our room had a comfortable king-sized bed and plush king-sized pillows (with extra pillows and warm blankets in the closet.) The room was spacious, well appointed and very clean. The air conditioning worked wonderfully and we had good water pressure. The housekeeping staff does a wonderful job and delighted us everyday with new towel art. We were on the top floor and had the most incredible view of the ocean, country-side and pool area from our side deck and the front balcony. We had no problems with noise or loud music and enjoyed being close to the action. For anyone that prefers less action/ more quiet, the garden view rooms or villas would be perfect. We walked around the villas and the grounds are beautiful and the pool looked very peaceful.

We found the food and service at the buffets and restaurants to be far beyond what we expected. There was a huge variety of foods at the buffets and the servers were always smiling and pleasant with great senses of humour. The grill was perfect for a light lunch straight from the beach. The mini pizzas were very yummy! We felt the Cuban a la carte was slightly less formal than the Italian and Seafood restaurants. The food was good (especially the roasted pork!) and the setting is lovely as you can choose to be seated under the thatched roof or in the open air. What a great spot to watch the sun set! The Italian restaurant is located in the hotel so it is air conditioned and the food is quite good here as well. There is also a small bar in the Italian which serves some top shelf and imported types of alcohol. Our favourite spot was the Seafood restaurant. The food was always good but the ambience was fabulous! As you dine you are entertained by the servers. There were musicians, a magician and a juggler! The saxophonist brought a tear to my eye with his music! We enjoyed a nightcap (or three) outside the restaurant on several occasions and there were some imported alcohols here too :) Treat yourself to dinner on the beach in the gazebo—you won’t regret it! For $25 CUC (which is about on par with the Canadian dollar) you can have a private dinner at sunset. You get to choose the menu and it is more than worth the small price. Our evening was so romantic I will remember it as long as I live!

The beach has gorgeous white sand and clear turquoise water. Every morning a team of men was worked hard to keep the sea grass to a minimum. There is great snorkelling around the pier as well straight off the pier about 40m out or so. The loungers were plentiful and we never had to worry about finding a great spot. There are lots of palm trees and palapas and hammocks too! The weather was perfect and there was always a lovely breeze from the ocean.

There are many activities and things to do. We were never bored! The market is about a 10 minute walk away and it is a beautiful. The entertainment crew does a great job of keeping things lively without being a nuisance. The pool bar is a great place for a chat with Jose, the bartender, and to cool down after a long day on the beach. The lobby bar had some fantastic musicians, particularly an electric guitarist who was truly awesome! The evening entertainment was incredible! Do not miss the water ballet—it was spectacular!

Brisas Guardalavaca was an amazing place and we wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the resort to anyone. There wasn’t anything we could complain about. We have been planning our next trip since we returned!

2,497 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
  • Polish first
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

What an amazing vacation....we had a blast!! There are so many great things to talk about I am having a hard time deciding where to begin. So I shall begin at the beginning.
The staff were all wonderful....they were very helpful and worked very hard to ensure we had a great time at their resort. I loved how they always had time to stop and converse for even a few minutes and in the least they always greeted you with a smile and Hola!
We found the rooms very good. They were clean and spacious enough. The only concern we had with the room was the water in the shower...had a hard time getting the water temp for my showers just right...they were either very hot or cold...but this I can live with...everything can't be perfect.
The food was very good.....they had a good variety from pasta to burgers and fries....in my opinion if you are too picky of an eater to find anything appetizing to eat at Brisas than that is your own fault. I quite enjoyed the food and never went hungry.
The entertainment kept us dancing all day and the disco kept us dancing at night. It was great fun.
The beach and water was fabulous we thoroughly enjoyed both everyday. The water was warm and the sand soft and wonderful. There were plenty of lounge chairs to go around. I noticed that to find a shady spot was a bit tricky but we did not mind as we were there to soak up the Cuban sun anyway. When we felt like we needed shade we headed to the swim up bar or the snack bar. We especially loved the closeness of the beach to the hotel...it was a very short jaunt to the ocean waters.
All in all it was a terrific experience and I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a great place to go and relax or enjoy some time in the Cuban sun or just to have some fun.
We will definitely be returning to this resort. Can't imagine going any where else!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I could not get over the cleanliness of the entire property and the friendliness of all the staff. I was in awe during the whole stay at Brisas. The Beach is absoltely stunning. The entertainment (all day long) most days and evenings was just great. Lobby Bar had entertainment..Poolside had entertainment and disco as well. The food was always great and whct a choice you get at the buffet. We also ate at the snack bar (open 24 hrs) and the food was great there too. We had homemade donuts at a little place by the pool and I was so amazed at these donuts..not greasy, didn't repeat on you and believe me I ate enough of them (what a treat they were). Went to Paradise Island and that was just awesome. Our Noli Tour Rep. Yamileth was a sweetheart and really knew her job. The rooms were made with animals on your bed every morning and always different. Evia Rodriguez was doing our room and she has just a great personality. Cuban people are always singing and happy all the time. It was my greatest pleasure to meet these great people and all I can say is (it will now be my Home away from Home) Never experienced such a vacation in my life!! Wish I was back there right now.

Room Tip: We had oceanview room #574 and it was beautiful
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

Been to Cuba before and was not impressed. This time it was great. You don't go to the Caribbean to experience great food. You go the beach, the sun and to relax. This all inclusive was exactly what it said it was. A Caribbean 4 star. Very clean rooms, all staff were incredibly friendly, and the swim up bars were great. Seafood restaurant was quite good as was the Italian one. The donut lady is not to be missed! Never left the complex and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Without a lot of research for alternatives, I would definitely go back if all I wanted was to relax and enjoy the sun. Only complaint was that no one told me, even trip advisor that you should take Canadian money as they accepted it nearly at par were as US they charged a 10% fee to exchange to Cuban money!

• Stayed March 2011
Fredericton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Stayed at the Brisas April 5th to 12th. We found the Villas very nice and had friends who stayed at the hotel and who were also very satisfied. I will not go into details as they have been covered here before. Service good-food adequate-clean rooms. Air conditioning keep us cool but not dry as North American A/C does,sheets were "sticky".
BUT....when we left from the airport in Holguin,what a disaster. There was no water for some reason and every toilet in the place was full to overflowing. The stench was almost unbearable and we had to stand in line for over an hour checking in. After check in we went to the booth to pay our 25 peso "tax grab" to leave. All I had were a 20 an 10 peso bill so I gave them to the man at the counter. He took them,placed them somewhere below the counter and folded his arms,conveniently covering his name tag, and refused to look at me. No change from him! When my wife went to the cadeca to change pesos to Canadian she gave the lady 30 pesos and got $22cdn in exchange,and that was it.
It seems a shame to me that in a country with such warm friendly people, who depend a great deal on tourism, those in semi-authority are allowed to steal from people in such a fashion.We,from reading here and on other sites,were somewhat forewarned that scams existed,however we never dreamed that they would exist at an "official" airport. We did not encounter one other place that was dishonest,and that includes the cadeca at the hotel,vendors at the hotel and private vendors in Banes,Guardalavaca and Playa Morales.

I know that based solely on my experience at the airport will think long and hard before returning to Cuba.

Room Tip: Villa 4 room 4109 great view!
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

March 12th – March 19th, as returning guests we were recognised and treated like royalty by many of the staff. Even though the hotel was fully booked and very busy we were surprised that there were no line ups for anything, except maybe in the snack bar for pizza, but even that moved very quickly. We have been to many other resorts at March break usually to encounter long waits at the bars and restaurants, not so here there was always plenty of staff ready and willing to serve you. There was even waiter/waitress service around the pool and up and down the beach.

We have been to Cuba many, many times before but this hotel excelled all of our expectations, offering many extra little touches that most 4 star resorts do not. For example the restaurant at the villa section, offered an a la carte menu for both lunch and dinner with no reservations required, there was also an a la carte menu offered for breakfast at the Cuban restaurant which we found provided a much calmer atmosphere than the hustle bustle of the buffet style. Reuben the wine waiter had wine tasting at the tea gardens right on the beach every afternoon, serving champagne, Chilean red wine, nuts and crackers to name a few of his offerings. Every evening the hotel provided professional entertainment in the lobby bar this was aswell as the nightly shows

This resort has something for everybody young and old alike, we met many people from all walks of life from Canada and Europe and nobody had anything negative to say about the resort or their stay, which is very unusual to find, which in my opinion says it all. Although tipping is optional please do tip, do bring extra clothes and gifts to give away, absolutely everything is very much appreciated and if they can't use it it will be re-cycled between family and friends. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone, please feel free to e mail me if you have any further questions.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

This was our third trip to the Brisas and it was as great as the others!
FLIGHT - we flew Air Transat from Halifax with a stop in Varadero on the way down. We were required to leave the plane and go through security, this added approximately 1.5 hours in our flight time to Holguin- but not a big deal. Had a chance to change into a pair of shorts and buy a couple of beer!
HOTEL - we had a room on the 4th floor great view of the pool/ocean. Maid did a great job in the room every day.
FOOD - The food was good. We are not fussy eaters and always found more than enough to eat. Pizzas in the snack bar are delicious!
BEACH - Warm, clear and fabulous. They have cleared away alot of the grass that had been in he beach area last year. Never felt crowded on the beach always lots of room and chairs.
STAFF - Friendly, never felt as though we had to tip to receive good service. Staff remember you from year to year.
ENTERTAINMENT - Watched the water ballet and other shows from our balcony. It seemed as though the shows did not go as long into the evening - 10:30/11:00 at night. So no problem getting a good nights sleep!
OVERALL - This is our favorite place in Cuba to stay. The proximity of the hotel to the pool and beach make it easy to get from one place the other. Can't wait to return again!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Brisas Guardalavaca Hotel? Share your experiences!