“wonderful people wonderful resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Pesquero

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Pesquero
You added Hotel Playa Pesquero to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Pesquero | Carretera a Guardalavaca, Rafael Freyre 11300, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Halton Hills, Canada
“wonderful people wonderful resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed during March break, the grounds were beautiful and the people working at the resort were very friendly and helpful. We did have a leak that couldn't be fixed but got our room changed on the second day to a better location. Our room was always very clean. There is such a variety of food and things to do. We met so many great families which made our trip even better.I love the beach but the pool is spectacular. The entertainment at the a la carts was fun, we especially enjoyed the all girls Cuban band they fantastic voices and played lively music. I am not a big drinker but they certainly didn't skimp on the alcohol. The coffee bar was fantastic. We have nothing but good things to say and would love to come back with more family. I see why so many travelers come back to Playa Pesquero. Thanks to all the hardworking staff that made our trip so enjoyable.

Room Tip: We had block 17 which was close to everything.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

Thank you for your nice comments. It´s good to know you had a great time with us and you enjoyed all the activities and facilities with our staff. We hope to see you once again soon. Please, keep us updated of future travelling plans to our hotel.

Playa Pesquero Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,137)
  • Polish first
Lincoln, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed at the Playa Pesquero the last week in February. Although it isn't quite a 5 star hotel we felt we were treated as 5 star guests.

The beach was absolutely amazing. I'm not a big beach walker so the fact that I couldn't walk for hours down the beach didn't bother me. It is a big enough beach for me to walk a half hour to 45 minute if I wanted. No mattered where I lay on the beach (even if there were several chairs in front of me) I was able to see the ocean. We would go to the beach between 9 and 10 and had no trouble finding an area in the shade for 6 people.The only problem we had at the beach was the hard chairs. We loved the drink service at the beach :)

The food was good. Breakfast and lunches were always very good. One morning I was in a short line waiting for fried eggs. Everyone was asking the woman who fried the eggs and made pancakes to put their bacon on the grill for a little while. A woman in front of me said it was because the bacon seemed a little raw to her. The next morning the bacon was cooked exactly the way I like it (somewhat crispy). They obviously listen to their clients. Dinners were good at the a la carte restaurants we went to but the buffet dinners did get a little repetitive (however the desserts were amazing).

Our room was great, as many people have already stated, some of the furniture could use a little updating but to be honest some of the furniture in my home could use a little updating. It didn't distract from the comfort of the room or how the room was kept sparkling by the woman who cleaned our room.The rooms could use a little more drawer space to put clothes way and our lower floor room did flood during a torrential rain storm. Thanks to the guys who came promptly to dry up our room. We also appreciated the friendly guys who came every day to refill the minibar.

The service was amazing!!!! I never felt as though I had to tip but was happy to do so. If there was an occasion that I forgot to bring pesos along with me for tipping, the service never changed. The Cuban staff was always friendly and professional. The comfort and the satisfaction of their guests always seemed to be 1st on their minds. The last evening we were there, we had a downpour (the torrential rain storm I referred to earlier). While it did affect what we ate at our a la carte dinner, the staff couldn't be more apologetic (as if they can control the weather) or flexible dealing with the situation. Several times I saw the Maitre'D gather the employees and strategize about how to deal with a flooding kitchen and rain coming in the open walls while at least 40 people were waiting for their meals. Several staff came over to us to tell us they knew it was our last evening and they were sorry they couldn't give us a memorable meal. Little do they know the wonderful way we were treated made the evening memorable. Thanks to everyone at the grill restaurant.

I have never wanted to visit an resort "down south" more than once and to be honest I've stayed at pricier 5 star resorts, however I could change my mind about my "one time only" at resort for the Playa Pesquero. It is the 1st place that made me feel that I was at a home away from home.

Room Tip: Building 57 was convenient to everything. Chose an upper room. Our lower room flooded during a heavy...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

It´s nice to know you had a lovely vacation with us. Thank you for your great comments. We really appreciate that felt at home in our hotel. We will love to receive you back soon hotel and be sure we are going to provide you another wonderful vacation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We came here on Honeymoon 2nd week in February and stayed for 2 weeks. The weather was mostly fantastic (3 days of rain but due to the freak weather the US had). The pool is huge and split into two; the beach is a 5 minute walk away.

Everywhere was so clean and all the staff and people you meet were extremely friendly. Most money was spent on tipping - everywhere you go people will be hoping for a tip (there is no attitude if you choose not to though). The Thomas Cook reps again are excellent - any problems we had they sorted straight away, such as problems with our room or changing the date of excursions.

Rooms are a tad dated but they were clean and have air-con, coffee facilities (I wouldn't bother with the local tea; bring your own), a balcony which overlooked greenery and trees (and far enough away from the entertainments so there isn't much noise in the evenings).

The food was just okay - in fact the buffet was better than booking at any of the al a carte restaurants on site.

The excursions were excellent - we had swim and dinner with dolphins. Swimming and playing with dolphins was such a highlight! We also booked a trip to Santiago (3 hours away; Havana is 11-14 hours by coach) and the ocean paradise catamaran.

It's worth bringing a small thermos mug to keep your drink cool throughout the day.

All in all a wonderful venue and I would definitely recommend to anyone considering this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms can be quite a distance from the hotel facilities (pool; buffet/al a carte restaurants; b...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

Thank you for your good comments. It´s great to know you had a lovely honeymoon with us and you are planning to come back. We really appreciate your recomendation to our future clients. Please, keep us updated of future travelling plans to our hotel.

essex uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

People great grounds also ,, rooms clean but old ,, ceiling in bath room fell in to the bath as was getting in yes a man came and put it back up DID I get a sorry NO was not happy about getting in the bath again Now the food how any one is saying the food is good I just don't know perhaps lobster so hard it would not leave the shell is ok in some parts of the world so now we say ITS CUBA and food is not why we go so how come one restaurant can do the food great and the rest is rubbish And coffee in the morning is it so hard to get a coffee with my food YES I had beg for a cup . Same with lunch PLEASE give me water ,,,,,, Pools nice beach great trips very good ...But the food ... will I go back to Cuba yes if it was free yes for the people and the sun and sand but has to upgrade the food from Smash potatoes and fried bread a lump of rubber called lobster and crisp rice been in the oven far to long ... Now to end it all is the lady in the buffet fill a bag with meat bread butter then more meat and more bread then more jam and butter was food for 20 people now I know the people are poor and yes I understand but I paid for this so don't steal the food and the thought of all that in the same bag in that heat was not nice , I did talk to one of the staff but the lady left with all that food in her bags .later to be seen at lunch taking a whole cheese , Is that why the hotel is so dear ??? we pay for the people to feed the poor . IF you can stay at the hotel you can buy food NOT steal ,,,

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

Our hotel is one of the largest five star hotels in Cuba which treasures among other attributes a wide spectrum of facilities that by no means are deceiving, on the contrary, they reassure the excellence of our services, as it is stated by the agencies and guests at all times.

Regarding the food and the service in the main buffet restaurant, we can assure that the presentation and quality of all the food that is served to our guests is supervised by the chefs and the food and beverage manager every day; furthermore, our resort has five A La Carte Restaurants and two main buffet restaurants with a great variety of international food and the delicious Creole Cuisine, that is why, we daily receive many compliments from our guests about the great food and services in general.

We would like to explain that in our resort, we have a well organized work system in which all rooms are checked by the maintenance workers before the clients’ arrival in order to assure that the room is all set to be assigned. Moreover, the chambermaids are also in charge of informing any problem they detect while cleaning a room before it is assigned to our customers. As you have mentioned the problem with ceiling was fixed immediately, we are sorry about the inconveniences it might have caused you. We have a program in our hotel in which only by dialing the star button in the phone all guests can inform us of any problem they might have in their rooms and an immediate solution in given to them.

All your comments were seriously analyzed to avoid any disagreeable situation to happen in our resort as our main goal is to achieve full satisfaction of all our guests while vacationing at Playa Pesquero. We will love to receive you back in our hotel, please, keep us updated of future travelling plans to our destination.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to the hotel and we once again had a fantastic time. The staff made so much effort to please us, always serving with a genuine smile. The gardens of the hotel are amazing, with lovely flowers and well kept lawns. Our room was always clean, although some of the furniture could do with updating. Our bed was very comfortable. We ate in many of the hotels restaurants and enjoyed them all. The italian and romantically were our favourites. The beer garden always served ice cold beers. The pool area was clean and we had no trouble finding sun beds. Drinks were readily available. The majito bar was always fun in the afternoon. The beach was great, with blue seas, great for snorkelling. Catamarans were great. Weather perfect. Will be going again next year. Well done to al the staff, especially Youdalis, italian, Carlos in the romantica and Yami in the beer garden.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
José Luis P, Sales Executive at Hotel Playa Pesquero, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

It´s good to know you had a great time once again with us. Thank you for your lovely comments. We really appreciate your loyalty. Please, keep us updated of future travelling plans to our hotel.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed at this resort from March 9 to the 16th. My wife, 11 year old son and 9 year old daughter. This place is absolutely run with the customer in mind!!! All of the staff were friendly and always tried to help. The resort is beautiful, beach is beautiful (like heaven on earth), food was excellent, but the most special part of the trip was the people who always went above and beyond.

Special thanks to Jose Luis at the reception, Jesus from the front lobby bar, Oswani on the beach, Alfredo from the beach and Fidel from transportation! Each of these people are genuine and always wanting to help and they didn't expect anything in return! I look at these people as our extended family because that's the relationship they built with us in one week.

We will definitely recommend this resort and we will definitely be back. Saving up for a trip is not easy so I now know where I will go when I have saved again. When you are travelling with your family you want to be safe, have fun and relax, this place is where you want to be.

We have travelled to many countries and resorts, this is the place to be at.
Sincerely.

John Scozari

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

We are so happy to know you and your family had a lovely time with us. Thank you for your nice review. We will extend to our staff your comments so they feel even more motivated to behave and work the way they do. We will love to receive you back in our hotel and be sure we are going to provide you another excellent vacation.

Wells, Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We visited Playa Pesquero in November 2013. It was our first visit to Cuba, definitely not our LAST. On landing in Cuba we found the people very friendly and helpful. From the staff on the bus to all the staff in the hotel they were amazing. Service really good. Rooms always clean. Yes the exterior is in need of redecorating perhaps, but remember this is a third world country and money is tight. The sea was spectacular, warm and clear. Spend every day down on the beach. The food was really good quality and tasty. We tried most of the restaurant and boy the seafood was excellent, by far the best variety and taste we have experienced in our many all inclusive holidays in Europe. Also worth a mention is the wonderful coffee bar in the foyer. We will definitely be back in Cuba and almost certainly back at the Playa Pesquero. Highly Recommended!!!!

Room Tip: Closest to the beach lovely sea view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings from Playa Pesquero,

Thank you for your good comments. It´s nice to know you are planning to come back to our hotel. We are working to refurbish the rooms and other facilities. We really appreciate your highly recommended review. Be sure you are going to have a lovely time once again with us.

Playa Pesquero Management.

Been to Hotel Playa Pesquero? Share your experiences!