“Amazing holiday .” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Costa Verde

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rafael Freyre
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
You added Hotel Playa Costa Verde to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Pesquero, Rafael Freyre, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing holiday .”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I got back from playa costa verde this morning, and i want to go back already. My following review is completley honest . Lets get the negatives out of the way ( HOWEVER THE NEGATIVES DIDN'T STOP ME FROM ENJOYING MY HOLIDAY AND I STILL LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT).

The buffet food wasn't the best, however i wasn't expecting anything spectacular having done my research, however the positive to this negative is that you had the choice of the cooking stations my favourites were the pasta and pizza and the fresh meat- all cooked deliciously. Then you also got the chance to go to the Al a Carte restaurants too. My favorite being the italian. The Cuban was okay, however the soup was amazing..i could of eaten that as my main course too. I am not a fan of Japanese cuisine however gave it a try and i shocked myself it was very nice. I would also recomend going to the Steak house, beautiful steak cooked exactly how you want it and worth the 10 pesos. All waiting staff were fantastic and bent over backwards to your every need.There are a lot of flies but a wave of your hand soon sends them on their way so that didn't bother me.

Secondly it was very obvious about the prostitutes who were in the resort. I can accept that it's each to there own and it didn't bother me too much apart from sometimes the provocative dancing they would display by the poolside in a family resort.It doesn't send off the right message.

...Now on to the best bits.
The room was fantastic anyone who says they are dated ..really? Clean fresh and airy , personally I don't think a modern minimalistic room would quite fit into the Cuban and Carribean personality, therefore the rooms were more than what i expected them to be. We stayed in room 2425 lucky to have a corner balcony. It wasn't facing the pool but honestly id rather have the palm tree's and the other blocks in my view, i can look at a pool any time. Didn't have any problems , one day the maid didn't leave us water but that was soon fixed once we notified reception ( there only human).

The pool was a great size and plenty of sunbeds around. The entertainment team did a great job of keeping the laughter around the pool with a great Cuban spirit. The pool bar was a bonus, you really do feel like your in luxury when you swim up to it. Again fast service and Jesus was a great character.

The beach- highlight of my holiday by far the most pure and beautiful beach i have ever been too.The water so clear and calm and very cool- which is always a bonus when you've been lying in the hot weather. Take bananas down to the beach go in the water and feed the fish- its a great experience and deffinatley something you can't do back in England.

Overall i had the best two weeks. The weather was amazingly hot and humidity was always between 80% to 100%- so maybe pack handheld fans with you because it's in the evening when it gets to you most. I didn't buy beach shoes for the water , the paths were clear and no hassle at all. Plenty of mossies i didn't get bitten look out for crabs lizards and toads for a brilliant picture opportunity. Swim with dolphins and the 4x4 challenge are two excursions i'd highly recomend. But have a great time. Don't listen to bad reviews because it is a lovely resort and you will have the holiday of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Get second floor rooms- not one creepy crawley in sight.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
rugby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

stayed at pcv for 3 weeks and must admit did not want to come home, this was our 3rd trip to cuba and this was definately the best hotel we have stayed in, majority of staff were amazing and you felt like family with the exception of 1 or 2 namely the girl on the weekly hog roast and sometimes on the grill in buffet restaurant(don't know her name) she was a miserable exception to the rest of the staff and also girls on reception although pleasant were not that helpful, We had a problem with air con in room no 2818 that never got resolved although i'm sure if I had pushed it we could have had a room change but putting this aside it did not ruin our stay. Check in was amazing with sparkling wine and very quick. room was very good (apart from air con), grounds, pool, restaurants, beach, entertainment and bars are all superb no complaints.A big thank you to Sonia buffet waitress, Jesus swim up bar, Patricia beach bar, Roydel lobby bartender and many more who's names we did not get to know for making our holiday even better. The vast majority of staff are a credit to this hotel and management should be proud of them, We will definitely return here one day as the vast majority of holiday makers seem to do and I can see why.

Room Tip: we had ground floor room no problems with beasts may be we were lucky
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
fife
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I am just back from Cuba for the first time I went with friends one of whom had been before I found the costa verde hotel clean and tidy the rooms could do with some paint and the balcony door was difficult to lock but that didn't spoil a fantastic holiday.the staff were so friendly and helpful and made your holiday the food was good and I am a fussy eater but as its all inclusive I tried sqiud and octopus and they were nice plenty of choice it does get a bit sandy but that's the same everywhere the pool was great and so was the gym the beach was lovely as well all the water sports are included except the scuba diving but its not expensive we did some organised trips which were great I would recommend the inside Cuba trip all in all I had a great time with great people in a great location and I am going back next year

• Stayed July 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend were at PCV for two weeks (29th May-12th June), and absolutely loved it. Yes the buildings and bedrooms could do with a lick of paint and modernising, but they had everything you needed; how modern or what colour the room is painted isn't going to make or break your holiday!!
The room was spotless everyday after the maid had been in, the rest of the hotel and grounds were also very clean. Yes there were birds in the buffet restaurant, but it's open air (which is part of the enjoyment) so what can the staff do? At night there were bugs and beetles, but you get that in tropical places, again nothing the staff or hotel can do.
The food was fine, nothing wrong with it, nothing great about it, it was what it was. A bit repetitive, but it would be the same over here if you stayed in the same hotel for 2 weeks. The three a la carte restaurants were nice, the Japanese was head and shoulders the best place to eat though. You also have to remember Cuba imports a lot of items for food and drinks, this is a country where the population live on ration books, so if they run out of a particular brand or something and don't have any more there's nothing anyone can do about it, it's just one of those things and will be sorted asap.
All the staff were fantastic. We only tipped one or two of them over the course of the holiday, but all of them couldn't do enough to help. If you made the effort to be nice, polite and smiley with them, there was no need to tip to get good service, they returned the complement anyway.
The beach does have a rock-bed just in the water, but it wasn't sharp and i managed to walk over it no problem in bare feet daily. Again what can the staff do about that though?
In terms of value for money it is fantastic, 2 weeks in the Caribbean for what we payed was unbelievable! We are already looking at booking it again for next year!

Room Tip: Our room was right near the Buffet Restaurant, couldn't have been better placed!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Our first trip to Cuba. Resort was tired, pool was lovely, beach was too far away and very rocky in water, there are no toilets on beach. Waitress service around pool non existent and in lobby bar very rare the waiters offer you a drink, you have to go up to bar time after time. The entertainment in aft and eve is .......... No words can describe it!!! But it aint good!! There are a LOT of older men with very young pretty Cubans, they pay for them to stay the length of their holiday, in my opinion they shouldn't be allowed to stay in family complexes, I mean one man had 2 younger escorts and they were "dancing" for him around the pool!!! I had to visit the doctor for an injection for my mosquito bite allergy and was charged 64 pesos for tablets cream and injection, yet a lady we met had exactly same treatment for 28 pesos so be careful. Overall I enjoyed my holiday but would not return, Mexico is far superior in every way.

• Stayed June 2013
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was our 3rd time at the PCV, the 2nd in the month of june, so it was different this time; the people..no tips no services especilally in the main restaurent and the lobby..senior personal are lazy..young ones will serve you with smile, same for the room...they changed and believe me those working in this place are reach by cuban standard.
The room..it was terrible ..terrible...cockroach every where on the floor, on the curtaine, my wife has to call three time to get some at the room with some spray to spray the room he came with a can in his hand @ 11pm. whats's more about the coacroach, next morning we went for breakfast, the girl was pouring the coffee while she was doing that my wife suddenly start to screme , she saw cockroach cming out with the coffe she pointed out to the girl, the girl turned the mug up and saw what my wife saw, she run back, said no wards and brought fresh coffee but we did not touch it.....the food , same every day we for sfety stayed with wathever hot such as pizza, pasta.
To me PCV is nice place, that,s why we went 3 time, but management and personnel must change their ways of doing things, do not take us for graunted, there are many places in cuba and in the region are compeiting for the same level of services..I recommend for first time visit but for us that's enough we had enough of coackroach and mosquitto bites.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is much better, to avoid crawling crabes
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Ok where to start. The resort is beautiful and very easy to walk around, rooms were huge with big balcony, not hot water though on entire stay. Hairdryers are rubbish (everywhere in Cuba), very low voltage 110 and takes half an hour to dry long hair if not longer (pointless to bring your own hairdrier from UK, it works even weaker). I like being closer to the beach (I did not use the pool at all as I don't see the point flying all the way from London and sit all day around the pool like most people did, I would rather fly somewhere closer then, so we just spent all day at the beach). If you prefer being closer to beach just 2 min walk as to be closer to the bridge 27 blocks, quiet and quick and easy walk to main area as well (lobby).
Difficult to walk back to your room at night as the roads are quite dark and so many huge crabs wondering around.
Book the a lacarte restaurants straight away as in low season they are open all only twice a week. Before you arrive arrange beach towels to be delivered to your room as they are late every day so when we were ready to go swimming 9am we had to wait until 11am them (they kepy saying another 15 minutes all the time).. it was absolute nightmare with towels, never enough of them and apparantly the hotel was only booked by 20% as low season, can't imagine how this resort would function in high season (I would not go). Snack bar was ok, not too bad but the service is not the best there, very lazy people. Generally everyone expected tip without doing anything, there were few very nice waiters who put up a lot with very rude people.

Food was not as bad as I expected, there was lot of choice and I loved the cooking stations where they cooked fresh fish or meat in front of you, in the morning they cooked pancakes or eggs the way you liked. Japanese restaurant was amazing, Cuban was good, grill restaurant which you had to pay was ok, huge steak but they cook it in so much garlic butter that you can't taste the meat. Did not try italian as the reviews were not good so was not bothered. Also if you are from UK don't attend the "special" UK evening meal they arrange, bad food and you wait 45 minutes to get a drink, rather go to buffee, waste of time..

Drinks are so so.. everyone makes them so differently, you never know what you get. One guy could not make a simple coctail like cuba libre, everything he made tasted awful, few others were ok but generally drinks were not very good to be honest and cuban rum is not the best, not anywhere near as good as jamaican rum. we just stared drinking sparkling wine/champagne whatever it was as at least it came out of bottle and free. Do take the hipflasks or something to beach as the plastic cups are small and get blown over and sand in them.

Beach itself is so so... water was amazing and weather was hot every day and no rain for entire holiday. It can get crowded at the weekend with locals who stare at european womens all day and when you make clear you're not happy they keep doing it. Too much coral in the water and as we travelled there purely for the beach for this reason I would not recommend staying there. Pesquero is not better as even though there is no rocks in the water it is so crowded that I would not like to be there.

Do the dolphin trip, it was the best thing I have ever done in my life (recommend doing it on weekday not weekend). It was only 11 of us in the catamaran ment for 80 people, got the dolphin show for free thanks to this and the swimming and tricks were absolutely amazing. The market was ok in guardalavaca, beach is very good there.

We had a good stay but would not return because of the beach.

Room Tip: 27 block is close to the beach and not far from everything else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!